Start by marking “The Hellbound Heart” as Want to Read:

The Hellbound Heart

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  29,222 Ratings  ·  1,215 Reviews
Alternate cover version of ISBN 0006470653
Mass Market Paperback, 128 pages
Published 1997 by Voyager (first published November 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Hellbound Heart, please sign up.

Kendall Moore The Hellbound Heart was a novella that was
The Hellbound Heart was a novella that was
originally published in the anthology series Night Visions as edited by G.R.R.M. It was then published as a separate piece thereafter.

Books of Blood was a completely different series of short stories.
(less)
Kathleen Parker In a book I read, and I forget the author's name, I am sorry to say, he listed the first/foremost horror writers that influenced him. They are Richard…moreIn a book I read, and I forget the author's name, I am sorry to say, he listed the first/foremost horror writers that influenced him. They are Richard Matheson, Malcolm McDowell, William F. Nolan, Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, Peter Straub, Bari Wood, Robert R. McCammon, John Farris, Shirley Jackson, T.M. Wright, Richard Laymon.Flannery O'Connor, Thomas Tessier. Have you checked out these authors?(less)

mark monday
Please allow me to introduce myself.

photo dEATHmANgif.gif

Actually, let's save the introductions for when I meet up with you later this evening, in the wee hours of the night.

First things first, as an inhabitant of the Dimension of Everlasting Pain I am not exactly a disinterested party when it comes to reviewing this novella. But I do feel I am able to provide a relatively unbiased review of this famous work, despite my intimate knowledge of all of the delightful and inspiring torture tableaux on display.

The Hellbo
Fabian
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rare RARE instance in which movie actually surpasses the novel. Then again, Barker directed his own creation on celluloid, so there's that. "Hellraiser" is not even included in the sacred list of horror films I adore (the genre which may be the hardest to love, easiest to make fun of, and which for that reason is my favorite), but no one can't say that it isn't mega creepy & creative. The merger of pleasure and pain-- Ahhh!

This novella (which can be digested in one sitting) packs quite a pun
Bark's Book Nonsense
Dec 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
“No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

My boyfriend made the mistake of allowing me to pick out the movie on one of our earliest dates way back in the late 80’s. I chose Hellraiser which was based upon this novella. I didn’t know he had never seen a horror movie and couldn’t figure out why he was so pale and quiet when we left the theater. The poor boy married me and his movie going experiences have never been the same and I’ll always have fond feelings for Hellraiser. Recently I re
Johann (jobis89)
"No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

In a quest to satiate his darkest pleasures, Frank Cotton obtains and opens Lemarchand's box, summoning the cenobites who instead of granting him pleasure and entry into this promised new world, torture him and trap him within the box. However, his brother's wife, Julia, who had a previous dalliance with Frank, has found a way to bring him back - and it involves blood.

Well, I had to use that quote, didn't I? Even though there was literally a ple
Dan Schwent
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Apatt
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“In moments they would be here-the ones Kircher had called the Cenobites, theologians of the Order of the Gash. Summoned from their experiments in the higher reaches of pleasure, to bring their ageless heads into a world of rain and failure.”

All hail Clive Barker, the king of arty (but mostly not farty*) horror. The Hellbound Heart is the novella which Barker adapted into the successful 1987 movie Hellraiser, which he also directed.

The Hellbound Heart is the story of Frank Cotton, a very depra
Michael Fierce
Although I enjoyed the book, The Hellbound Heart, the movie version, Hellraiser - with the awesomely cheesy blue and yellow 80's FX - is a bit better and mainly because it was more fully realized.

And, as a fun note, John Kozak, the singer of my band, Of The Arcane, had his head sculpted by our friend, Mitch Gonzales, into the likeness of Pinhead, and was presented to Clive at the very first signing we attended of his at The Dark Carnival bookstore, in Berkeley, CA.

Clive liked it so much, Mitch
Flannery
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Flannery by: Book Club Pick - 10/11
I’m assuming everyone in the world has seen the last Harry Potter movie? This isn’t a spoiler but there is this part in the movie where Voldemort is in some place that looks like a train station and he looks like a cross between some sort of fetus and a seahorse. When I saw it with my friends, we were all wondering what the frak we were looking at…in fact, it is pretty safe to say that I am still wondering a few months later. So I know Clive Barker wrote this novella decades before HP7p1 would c ...more
Stepheny
Clive Barker is the man.

Let me just tell you. This is only the second book of his I have ever read but I already know he and I are going to be best friends for life. He may even work his way into my heart the way that Stephen King and JK Rowling have. Who knows?

Look out, Clive Barker; I might just be hiding in the bushes. :D

The first book of his that I ever read was The Thief of Always and I could not believe I had waited as long as I had to read his work. If you haven’t read that one, you real
RedemptionDenied
3.5 stars.
Hellraiser.....
...... it will tear your soul apart.

This wasn't a bad little novella - except some of the sentences seemed to be thrown together; like Frankenstein's monster. I'm not sure if its the authors writing style? - but every so often there would be a sentence that staunched the flow - and some words he used were unnecessary. The dictionary didn't know the meaning.

Frank Cotton gains possession of Lemarchands puzzle box (a box of wonders) - aka Lemarchands Configuration - after
Scott
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Have you met your monthly quota of books that include people being torn apart by fish-hooks on chains then dragged off into endless torment? No? Then I suggest you read some Clive Barker.

It's been a while since I visited the fevered worlds of Barker's imagination and I'd forgotten how readable he can be. Barker was very big in the 80s and 90s, and this book was the beginning of a multitude of his magical horror stories where sex, death and the occult are closely intertwined.

Some of Barker's boo
Paul Nelson
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hellbound Heart starts with Lemarchand’s box and Frank's desire to solve the intricate puzzle and in turn find the promised new world, a province infinitely far from the room in which he sat, toying as the music rings. He had meticulously prepared, every part of the invocation ritual observed and now he was to finally set eyes on the Cenobites, theologians of the Order of the Gash. Summoned from their experiments in the higher reaches of pleasure and that is what he asks for, pleasure.

Not a
Graeme Rodaughan
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
One of the better books of Clive Barker's that I've read. I like the sparse structure with a clean straight through narrative.

Extraordinary idea and well executed. Will suit horror fans. While there is some gore, it's never gratuitous or over done.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Not many minds can come up with the twisted worlds Clive Barker does. The plot for the Hellbound Heart is a creative, freaky version of Hell. The underlying theme is the fine lines between pleasure and pain, the greed and desperation of mankind to always seek what is beyond its reach and out of this world. But, besides all that, it is in a way a demented, twisted, dark, fairy-tale like love story. It focuses on a woman who believes she is in love with her husband’s brother, and would do anything ...more
Edward Lorn
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've now officially read three Clive Barker books to completion. The Great and Secret Show was my first, and though I enjoyed it, I can't remember what happened therein, nor can I recall exactly what I enjoyed about it. I do, however, recall laying it down and saying, "I need to find more from this author." I then went on to read The Thief of Always because I thought the blurb was coolio. I enjoyed it immensely. The rest of my experiences with Barker were not so good. I tried and failed to read ...more
Randolph Carter
Many people don't realize that this book is actually a parody; a commentary on the ever increasing thrills we post-moderns crave from our lives and even horror fiction, films, etc. Look up Barker's own comments if you don't believe me. In fact, Barker has never written a story more gut wrenching and extreme than Heart; some equal it, but none actually exceed it. The fact that it spawned an entire industry of graphic novels and films all predicated on the the goal of being ever more extreme is an ...more
♛Tash
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2016-reads
So this is the novella that spawned Hellraiser, and perhaps the thing responsible for patent leather fashion...

Everything about this novella is grotesque and gory, but not that scary. Unless one finds bloody red meat and facial piercings scary.
Kasia
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally got to read the masterpiece that started it all and well… I was horrified all right to actually admit that I liked the Hellraiser movies better than this book. I have always loved the movies but I value books pillars above any celluloid so for me to enjoy the movie more is abnormal! The writing style is quite Gothic and lyrical, and I was glad to have seen the movies in order to make sure I wasn’t off the wall when it came to understanding the story which was dark, creepy and haunting ...more
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
Never watched Hellraiser...(Don't judge)

Never read a Clive Barker book...(Ok, fucking judge me already)

Barker lays down some flowery lexicon wrapped in a tortilla of blood and gore. It's pretty nifty.

However, it seems like he is trying too hard. Words are repeated bukkake style. And these aren't cool words like foreskin and lollipop. The word that comes to mind is 'din', yes probably in the top 5 most boring words in the English language is repeated 100 times in 100 pages, no joke (well, a litt
Thomas Strömquist
And suddenly it becomes totally logical that Barker was considered (not least by S King himself) "the future of horror" in the mid to late 80's and that the movie based on this was a success.

In other words, I simply loved this story, the characters are brilliant (hardly any of them likeable though). The prose - passive, matter-of-fact and a bit dreamlike - which I was not 100 % comfortable with starting out - I got to think fit the storyline perfectly.

The fantasy world (or rather fantasy being
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
Take two people, Frank and Julia:

Now imagine a box that you think if opened you'll find a sexual experience that will blow your mind, kindof like a Genie's lamp and your wishing for pure pleasure. Instead you open the box and get an eternity of torture. That's what Frank did...

Now imagine being so in love it become obsessive. That you'll do anything to bring a loved one back to you, even if that someone is disfigured, mangled and mutilated beyond belief causing a group of extra dimensional being
Nate
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't do well with audiobooks. Because I am an ADD-ridden manchild, I find the link between the writer's imagination and mine to be much more palpable and accessible when I'm looking at the words and holding the book in my hands. I also don't like that I have to basically take in the story at the reader's pace, when my brain likes to cram as many words into it as possible with regular books. It sucks, because I really love the idea of audiobooks! It really mixes written word with the oral trad ...more
Bob Milne
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
As I prepare to settle down and immerse myself in the long-awaited literary spectacle that is The Scarlet Gospels, I am going back and revisiting the original appearances of Pinhead and Harry D'Amour. As brilliant as Doug Bradley and Scott Bakula were in their respective screen roles, I want to recapture the essence of Clive Barker's vision, the magic of his words, and the subtle nuances that remained on the page.

Although The Books of Blood is technically where it all began, with Harry D'Amour a
Mindi
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow...
Becky
3.5 stars.
I've seen 'Hellraiser' of course, and my brother even dressed up as an awesome Pinhead for Halloween 2 years in a row in the late 80s. Mom painstakingly applied about a hundred gray toothpicks all over his head. Some weren't even sharp enough to go in properly, so it took a while, and he just would NOT stop crying... Kidding, kidding! I do wish that we had pictures of that costume though, it was great. My mom is an artistic genius, and my dedicated brother even allowed his head to be
Kathryn
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Victor
Shelves: own, horror-read, kindle, 2013
Having seen the Hellraiser movies, and owning the fourth in the series, I was surprised to learn the idea came from a book, The Hellbound Heart . I was immediately intrigued, mainly because I actually like the movies and think they are definitely creative. And of course, who could forget Pinhead?

The Hellbound Heart is a pretty quick read. I believe my Kindle edition is about 176 pages. It follows the story of the first movie, in case you've seen the movies, and you were wondering. Clive Bark
Stephen
3.0 stars. This novella was the basis of the Hellraiser movies featuring everyone's favorite Cenobite, Pinhead. This was a decent read, but I actually enjoyed the movie more as I thought it did a better job of creating an atmosphere of dread than the story.

Nominee: World Fantasy Award for Best Novella.
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
You have come into possession of a puzzle box.

If you can solve this puzzle, all of your wildest dreams may be finally reached. You slave over the innocuous cube, and eventually the fruits of your labor are revealed.

Suddenly, the room brightens, you sense someone (or something) is coming. You realize that your fantasies may all be about to come true.

They are here.

It begins to dawn on you that their definition of your fantasies may not be the same as your definition.

Welcome to your own person
Oscar
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror, weird-fiction
La historia empieza de manera potente, presentándonos a Frank desentrañando el mecanismo de la caja de Lemarchand, que traerá el infierno a la Tierra en forma de Cenobitas. Después, ya entrando en el grueso de la novela, asistimos a la mudanza del Julia y Rory a la casa de este último, que resulta ser el hermano de Frank, y también se nos presenta a Kristy, una amiga de Rory. Pero, ¿qué pasó con Frank? ¿Y qué es esa presencia en una de las habitaciones de la casa?

‘Hellraiser’ (The Hellbound Hear
Islam Salem
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب عبارة عن روايتين رعب حلوين جداً و حبكتهم حلوة و مختلفة عن روايات الرعب المصري اللي بقيت عاملة زي أفلام المقاولات بتاعة الثمانينات بتاعة سمير غانم و يونس شلبي ، أنصح بيهم و خاصة للمبتدئين.
Horror Aficionados : The Hellbound Heart 55 108 Nov 21, 2017 03:46PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker 1 10 Aug 17, 2015 04:17AM
Was he heavily inspired by: Nightmare on Elm Street 12 140 Oct 12, 2014 03:26AM
pinhead in the book 3 73 Nov 03, 2013 12:05PM
  • Hellbound Hearts
  • The Transition of H. P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best I
  • Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror
  • The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best II
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • A Choir of Ill Children
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • The Cellar
  • Survivor
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more
More about Clive Barker...
“No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.” 197 likes
“She had opened a door... and now she was walking with demons. And at the end of her travels, she would have her revenge... Pain had made a sadist of her.” 62 likes