Start by marking “Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy” as Want to Read:
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

(Hairy Maclary #1)

Hairy Maclary goes off for a walk in town, followed by a few friends. All is uneventful until they meet Scarface Claw, the toughest tom in town, and run for home. The story is told by a brilliant, cumulative rhyming text and terrific pictures.
Board book, 36 pages
Published July 4th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1983)

Clouds
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

It was my son's first birthday last week and the boy got so many presents we're struggling to
Shirley Revill
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, poetry, pets, kids
My children and now my grandchildren absolutely love this book of rhyme. One of the children's all time favourites and mine too.
Melki
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Repetitive rhyming book for kids, originally published in the 1980's - but, the book seems to have a nostalgic feel to it - I honestly thought it was from the forties or fifties. There isn't much of a story, but the illustrations are beyond adorable!

description

A real treat for dog-lovers of all ages!
Jamie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Rhyming book for kids. Well done but ca be a bit of a tongue twister after a while. No real plot just lots of dogs. If you want a good laugh from your kids, read this to them, faster each page!
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
Now this one I read AS A MUMMY to my little girl. I loved it more than she did I'm sure! That little girl is now nearly 23. God, I feel old :-/
Sharon
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that I believe should be on every child's bookshelf. The tale of the little mischievous dog and all his friends, they gather together and scout about town till they meet someone they dread......SCAREFACE CLAW.

A beautifully illustrated story that I believe can be shared by young and old alike and one that can be read again and again but never gets old.
Steve Griffin
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story, with a colourful cast of dogs ranging from Hercules Morse (‘as big as a horse’) to Muffin McClay (‘a bundle of hay’) and the eponymous Hairy Maclary, from Donaldson’s Dairy. The gang go for a doggy strut downtown – only to be sent packing by Scarface Claw, the toughest tom in town.
Marita Hansen
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A classic Kiwi story which my kids loved when they were little.
Aly
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I named my two turtles after characters from this book when I was a kid.
Elizabeth Todd
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hairy Maclary by Lynley Dodd

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy is a fabulous book full of rhyme, repetition and rhythm – and funny animals! The book tells the story of scruffy dog Hairy Maclary meeting up with different dog friends who are all out for a walk. The dogs are all fantastically described, being all different shapes and sizes and are given fun, imaginative names. Each dog is happy to be outside, sniffing the air and snooping at every door, when suddenly they encounter Scarface Claw,
Jessica
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
I love this book. I discovered it when I was younger, and had no idea that not only was it still in print, but that there were a whole string of books that came after it! My sister just got my daughter all of them, and they are all charming. But there's just something about this little dog, nothing but a pile of hair, marching down the street, collecting all his friends, like Hercules Morse, as big as a horse, only to be chased away by the vicious Slinky Malinki! Beginning readers love the rhyme ...more
Rosemary Standeven
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book sadly wasn't around when I was a child, but I have read it so many times as an adult - sometimes to real children, but just as often to myself. I just love the rhymes and the rhythm of the book. Every child should be exposed to this book (repeatedly!)
Charlotte Martin
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. It makes me feel awesome. Read it, you have to it is great and my favorite childhood book.

I highly recommend this book
Louise
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book with lots of rhyming!
Scott
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hairy Maclary sets off for a walk and his joined by his doggie pals with rhyming names. They come across Scarface Claw and run away. Great memories from my childhood here.
Vicki Kyriakakis
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
We all love the Hairy Maclary books. Especially my 20 month old. Of course, there's the slight issue that all the female dogs seem to have gone missing from this part of the world and most of the cats are male too. Makes you wonder if there's some sort of weird genetic manipulation going on in Miss Plum's town and who's behind it. Hasn't anyone noticed that Cassie the Cockatoo seems to be one of the few female animals around?

Dear Picture Book writers - please, please stop writing most animals a
Sylvester
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
3* art
5* story/rhyme

Fun in so many ways. Squirt, the anarchist, instead of saying the expected "..AND...Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy.." would yell "POOPY!!" Which was just as good, although it didn't rhyme.
Prabhazacharias85
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, first published in 1983, is a text book example of how rhyme for little kids should be. It is funny, each character (read dog) is developed adequately to keep them alive in a little reader's imagination, the text is supplemented with spot-on illustrations, engaging repetitive rhyme which grows as we get introduced to a new character (memorizing long complicated rhyme becomes cakewalk for even a three year old) and it is hilarious like nobody's business. It has the build up, a funny tw ...more
Alexandra Hunter
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series of books are fantastic. There are about 12. They are all in rhyming form and use repetition throughout. They are about a mischevious dog called Hairey Maclay and the adventure he has with his friends, always the same characters. Lots of onomatopoeia again so good for reading aloud. Good for art projects perhaps.
Helena's Library
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really don't like this book, and my toddler daughter doesn't seem to particularly enjoy it either.
It really doesn't have much going for it, I'm surprised it's so popular - and what even is Donaldson's Dairy and why should we care that Hairy Maclary is from there?
Some of the dog drawings are good, I will admit, but the ending with the evil cat is so boring and cliched (yes, I am a cat person). Dislike.
Kristin
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A poem about a hustley little dog and the trouble he stirs up. The rhythm, the rhymes (with some substantial vocabulary!), and the whimsical illustrations make this short book that my boys pick again and again, and that I secretly root for them to choose. And of course, the feline enemy...Scarface Claw...adds a little ominous pizzaz to the tale.
Mercy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Varieties of dogs set off for a walk in town. They seem to be having fun until SCAREFACE CLAW shows up and all hell breaks loose sending all the dogs back home to bed. The repetition used makes it appealing to early readers.
Deb
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-alena
I really like the rhymes. The illustrations are fun too. I laughed out loud. Alena and I enjoyed this book.
Shiloah
Hilarious! Super cute!!!
DadReads
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I felt a natural affinity for Hairy Maclary when I was little. He was from Donaldson’s Dairy, I was from Coverdale’s Dairy. He was small and a bit scruffy. So was I. All he shared in common with his mates was location and species, but that was all they needed. Much like me and my primary school friends.

But I recently discovered something alarming about Hairy Maclary, something that I never would have suspected when I was a kid. We were from completely different kinds of dairy. Mine was a farm wh
Blythe Williams
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks1, favourites
One of my favourite books as a child!
Thomas Edmund
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seems kinda cheap to use children's books on my Goodreads book challenge, but quickly frankly I've read these books so many times I think its counts the same as a novel!

The other thing about reading these books many many times is the mind starts to get a bit 'beautiful' about it. I've started to make inferences about the owners of each pup involved in this story based on the dog and the brief snippet of front gate we get for each introduction. Worse I've started asking more questions, why are th
Saadia Munshi
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book centres around a little Scruffy dog called Hairy Maclary who goes out for a walk around the town with friends. During the story the reader is introduced to his friends one by one along with a lovely description that matches their appearance. As the story progress the group of dogs gets larger and larger, but then they meet a big scary cat called scarface claw. Upon seeing the cat the dogs run away as fast as they can.

This book is a great book for Ks1 children. since the dogs are descri
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 04/07/2002
Author: Lynley Dodd
Recommended for: Children

I absolutelty loved this book as a child. It is a book I think every child should read at some stage in there life. My mum got sick of reading it for a bed time story...must have read it over 20times. I still treasure it and will always do. Love this book and the pictures and of course all of the characters! This is the type of book that children will remember the characters of and will help bring fond memories from their childhood
Jess
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
July 2016 - First of all, I love the way Ben said "oh, Hairy Maclary?" when I pulled this one out. The cumulative text is fun to read, and while Ben doesn't pull these out very often, he obviously remembers the character. Lots of fun.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Year 1 1 1 May 29, 2015 09:40AM

• Window
  • Meg and Mog
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Jamela's Dress
  • One Snowy Night (Book & Tape)
  • Blinky Bill
  • Father Christmas
Lynley Dodd is New Zealand's bestselling children's author/artist. Her rhyming picture books featuring the irresistible Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki and friends are firm favourites, especially for reading aloud, all over the world.

THE BASICS
Born: Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5th 1941
Jobs: Art Teacher
Lives: Tauranga, New Zealand
First Book: My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes, 1974

THE BOOKS
Lynley Dodd grad

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone