Start by marking “Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy” as Want to Read:
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

(Hairy Maclary #1)

Hairy Maclary goes off for a walk in town, followed by a few friends. All is uneventful until they meet Scarface Claw, the toughest tom in town, and run for home. The story is told by a brilliant, cumulative rhyming text and terrific pictures.
Board book, 36 pages
Published July 4th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published 1983)

Start your review of Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
Clouds
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

It was my son's first birthday last week and the boy got so many presents we're struggling
Jamie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Rhyming book for kids. Well done but ca be a bit of a tongue twister after a while. No real plot just lots of dogs. If you want a good laugh from your kids, read this to them, faster each page!
Shirley Revill
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, children, poetry, pets
My children and now my grandchildren absolutely love this book of rhyme. One of the children's all time favourites and mine too. ...more
Melki
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Repetitive rhyming book for kids, originally published in the 1980's - but, the book seems to have a nostalgic feel to it - I honestly thought it was from the forties or fifties. There isn't much of a story, but the illustrations are beyond adorable!

description

A real treat for dog-lovers of all ages!
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-ya
Now this one I read AS A MUMMY to my little girl. I loved it more than she did I'm sure! That little girl is now nearly 23. God, I feel old :-/ ...more
Sharon
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that I believe should be on every child's bookshelf. The tale of the little mischievous dog and all his friends, they gather together and scout about town till they meet someone they dread......SCAREFACE CLAW.

A beautifully illustrated story that I believe can be shared by young and old alike and one that can be read again and again but never gets old.
Steve Griffin
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story, with a colourful cast of dogs ranging from Hercules Morse (‘as big as a horse’) to Muffin McClay (‘a bundle of hay’) and the eponymous Hairy Maclary, from Donaldson’s Dairy. The gang go for a doggy strut downtown – only to be sent packing by Scarface Claw, the toughest tom in town.
Marita Hansen
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A classic Kiwi story which my kids loved when they were little.
Aly
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I named my two turtles after characters from this book when I was a kid.
Les Wilson
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very Pleasant family read time.
Elizabeth Todd
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hairy Maclary by Lynley Dodd

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy is a fabulous book full of rhyme, repetition and rhythm – and funny animals! The book tells the story of scruffy dog Hairy Maclary meeting up with different dog friends who are all out for a walk. The dogs are all fantastically described, being all different shapes and sizes and are given fun, imaginative names. Each dog is happy to be outside, sniffing the air and snooping at every door, when suddenly they encounter Scarface Claw,
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
If you haven't encountered Hairy Maclary and his doggy friends then you and your children are missing a treat. He's great and the rhymes in this rhyming book are easy to read and never feel like hard work to read again and again. For the more cat minded reader Lynley Dodd has written several excellent stories about Slinky Malinki which are equally brilliant and the various cat and dog characters meet each other in some of the books. The animals are well drawn but as I explored the series I notic ...more
Vicki Kyriakakis
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
We all love the Hairy Maclary books. Especially my 20 month old. Of course, there's the slight issue that all the female dogs seem to have gone missing from this part of the world and most of the cats are male too. Makes you wonder if there's some sort of weird genetic manipulation going on in Miss Plum's town and who's behind it. Hasn't anyone noticed that Cassie the Cockatoo seems to be one of the few female animals around?

Dear Picture Book writers - please, please stop writing most animals a
Jessica
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
I love this book. I discovered it when I was younger, and had no idea that not only was it still in print, but that there were a whole string of books that came after it! My sister just got my daughter all of them, and they are all charming. But there's just something about this little dog, nothing but a pile of hair, marching down the street, collecting all his friends, like Hercules Morse, as big as a horse, only to be chased away by the vicious Slinky Malinki! Beginning readers love the rhyme ...more
Sue Read
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
You just can't go wrong with anything written by Lynley Dodd. Truly, the humour, the joy, the rhythm, rhyme and pattern all help to make the dogs heading for Donaldson's Dairy memorable, engaging and hugely entertaining.

This books helps children identify rhyme and create their own. It provides them with an opportunity to learn a poem, a chance to make sound effects for Scarface Claw and create a change in tempo when they all run home to bed!

I think this poem invites musical accompaniment, it c
Rosemary Standeven
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book sadly wasn't around when I was a child, but I have read it so many times as an adult - sometimes to real children, but just as often to myself. I just love the rhymes and the rhythm of the book. Every child should be exposed to this book (repeatedly!) ...more
Louise
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book with lots of rhyming!
Charlotte Martin
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. It makes me feel awesome. Read it, you have to it is great and my favorite childhood book.

I highly recommend this book
Scott
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hairy Maclary sets off for a walk and his joined by his doggie pals with rhyming names. They come across Scarface Claw and run away. Great memories from my childhood here.
crίѕтίŋα•●♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥●•
Sylvester
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
3* art
5* story/rhyme

Fun in so many ways. Squirt, the anarchist, instead of saying the expected "..AND...Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy.." would yell "POOPY!!" Which was just as good, although it didn't rhyme.
Gabby
The Hairy Maclary stories were some of my favourite stories growing up and I still love them. It gives great adjectives and similes to each dog within the book and it's so much fun going on different adventures with Hairy Maclary and his friends. ...more
Liam
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Not much of a story, but it does have lovely illustrations, and a repeating rhyme pattern that encourages participation. The Year One class liked it!
Prabhazacharias85
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book, first published in 1983, is a text book example of how rhyme for little kids should be. It is funny, each character (read dog) is developed adequately to keep them alive in a little reader's imagination, the text is supplemented with spot-on illustrations, engaging repetitive rhyme which grows as we get introduced to a new character (memorizing long complicated rhyme becomes cakewalk for even a three year old) and it is hilarious like nobody's business. It has the build up, a funny tw ...more
Kristin
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A poem about a hustley little dog and the trouble he stirs up. The rhythm, the rhymes (with some substantial vocabulary!), and the whimsical illustrations make this short book that my boys pick again and again, and that I secretly root for them to choose. And of course, the feline enemy...Scarface Claw...adds a little ominous pizzaz to the tale.
Alexandra Hunter
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series of books are fantastic. There are about 12. They are all in rhyming form and use repetition throughout. They are about a mischevious dog called Hairey Maclay and the adventure he has with his friends, always the same characters. Lots of onomatopoeia again so good for reading aloud. Good for art projects perhaps.
Helena's Library
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really don't like this book, and my toddler daughter doesn't seem to particularly enjoy it either.
It really doesn't have much going for it, I'm surprised it's so popular - and what even is Donaldson's Dairy and why should we care that Hairy Maclary is from there?
Some of the dog drawings are good, I will admit, but the ending with the evil cat is so boring and cliched (yes, I am a cat person). Dislike.
Mercy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Varieties of dogs set off for a walk in town. They seem to be having fun until SCAREFACE CLAW shows up and all hell breaks loose sending all the dogs back home to bed. The repetition used makes it appealing to early readers.
Deb
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-alena
I really like the rhymes. The illustrations are fun too. I laughed out loud. Alena and I enjoyed this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
2019 Roe Reading ...: Hairy Maclary 1 2 Sep 30, 2020 02:30PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Year 1 1 1 May 29, 2015 09:40AM

• The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Possum Magic
  • Peace At Last
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Room on the Broom
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • The Smartest Giant in Town
  • Dogger
Dame Lynley Dodd is an internationally celebrated writer for children whose titles are highly regarded and much loved by her readers in New Zealand and around the world. Her stories are known for their lively sound qualities, curious animal characters, and the memorable illustrations that accompany the text. Lynley has received numerous awards, both for her writing and illustration, and in 2002 sh ...more

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone