Start by marking “Bait (Angler, #1)” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Bait

(Angler #1)

This edition was previously published under the ASIN B004P1IYAS

Live bait makes all the difference.

Sent on a mission to lure Budapest’s vampire Overlord into a trap, Connie Bence is instead caught red-handed by the dark Casanova.

Her employer has concrete proof of the dubious leader’s misdeeds but she is surprised when this ruthless killer, Rurik, offers her protection an
Published February 22nd 2011 (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bait

Ingie
Written June 6, 2014

3.3 Stars - Vampire hunting with a very funny and brave girl - charming enough to listen to with some giggling moments

I got Bait as a freebie a year ago and now added the audiobook also for just a few bucks (two). Maybe not my first book-choice in style and genre nowadays but certainly worth testing.

A fast-paced, playful steamy and adventurous vampire suspense romance seems, after all, pretty fun to listen to in about 8-9 hours. ~ And this book delivered exactly that.

I'm ha
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
Not the worst vampire book I've read, but the romance happened wayyyyy too fast. Do not like.
N.G.
Things that I liked:
-the book's fast-paced
-the story's is pretty concise
-It made me laugh
-Connie  had good ideas when it came to escaping
Meh:
-Connie was the "bait" for the vampires. She had to wear pretty clothes while sitting inside a bar. This really reminded me of Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost However, is not the same...Cat's a bad ass and Connie is just...rabbit.
-Insta-attraction

Things that I didn't like:
-Connie isn't a bad ass heroine

-The beginning was kind of...random(?)
-Connie cried way too much

Even thought Connie
Cara Bristol
This is one of the best vampire books I've ever read, with twists and turns that kept me guessing throughout the book. Very well done!
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the tradition of Laurell K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher, Annie Nicholas has created a first person POV book about Connie Belce, a young woman in her twenties hired by Vampire Hunters to be used as BAIT in luring vampires who have committed heinous crimes to their death. She just looks like someone they want to eat.

Sent to Budapest, and somewhat out of her element, she has the daunting task of luring the Master of the City, Rurik from a dance club to an unsuspecting trap. Only problem: Rurik may
Shelley
Fabulous freebie! and this coming from a total freebie snob. I download them and never read them. I'm silly like that. Something in my brain says if it's free it can't be that good if they have to give it away.
Boy was I wrong with Annie's novel.
This was just so cool!
Broken hearted lovable heroine and a gorgeous lonely vampire who is fighting off the seriously nasty Nosferatu vampire bad dude.
Lots of plotting, double crossing and action. Romantic, full of suspenseful moments. Sexy and very add
PepperP0t
4.25stars
I was caught up immediately with Connie "Rabbit" Bence's assignment as bait to lure the vampire lord Rurik to his demise. Connie works as a seducer for a shadow-y (read mercenary) group that eliminates vampires who prey on humans but she ends up being seduced by her prey. Everywhere she goes in Budapest he is there and Connie is finding it harder at each time to resist. It was very easy to "care" if this couple is together or not
Connie's boss and co-workers have always been correct in d
Zarah
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry. I wanted to like this. I did like it in the beginning - when Connie was introduced and presented as a smart and assertive woman who could take care of herself.
Then the old-cradle-robbing-hottie was introduced and suddenly her brains melted away, she thought with her libido and was perfectly fine with him calling her Rabbit (after a poem about a hunetd animal - "Run, Rabbit, run"! I kid you not!), making decisions for her (including what she should wear) and, after a little guilt o
LynnMarie
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hunter’s Review

Wow. Where can I get my own Rurik? Annie Nicholas has created such hot characters they practically steam off the page in this first person narrative that takes a fresh look at the vampire genre. Nicholas’ vampires do not glow or sparkle. While some of them are not necessarily monsters, they are, in fact, bloodsuckers in the best possible way.

The author has managed to take a subject—vampires—that I think a lot of people would argue that the vampire time has passed but Nicholas man
SN the Viking
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vamps, urban-fantasy
This was a new writer and a new series too me. I have already bought the next books so that sould tell you I enjoyed this.
This is a new awesome vamp series I am going to follow for sure, so hard to find good UF vamp series.
4 stars
_yay_
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, pnr-uf, vampire
Connie Bence acts as bait. Working with a group of mercenaries it’s her job to lure in vampires. This time around Budapest’s Overloard Rurik is her assigned target.
When things get out of hand, it’s him, the very vampire she believes to be a monster and killer, who promises to keep her alive. Never would she have thought to ever doubt her beliefs, but there’s no denying it: Rurik is different and not at all what she thought he’d be like.
I loved the idea of Connie being bait. In many other books t
Brenda H
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Live bait makes all the difference.

Connie Bence is sent out into the hotspots of Budapest in an effort to trap and kill the city’s vampire overload, Rurik. Connie’s employer has proof that Rurik is a ruthless killer and needs to be taken down. However, after Connie finds herself in a situation more dangerous than expected, Rurik offers her his protection and rescues her from his own kind. Now, she has to decide if she’s going to trust him or lead him to his death.

The story is fast-paced and a fu
Crankyfacedknitter
Laura Greenwood
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Bait from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Connie is part of a vampire slaying team, and the most dangerous part; she is the bait. With the team in Budapest, Connie's job is to lure the city's overlord, Rurik to his death, but despite knowing that he is probably guilty of something, Connie can't help but believe that he is innocent, and goes out of her way to protect him. Other people have other ideas, includin
Shelley
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC generously provided by publisher via Netgalley.

Five, run rabbit run, stars.

Connie was lost. After her husband lost his battle with cancer she found herself lost in a bottle with no way out. Then she met Colby and learned of the existence of vampires. Now Connie's job is live bait. She works for Colby who is a slayer. He is hired to get rid of vampires who have committed some type of crime. Connie lures them in, her internal sadness is intoxicating to them, and Colby stakes them.

Connie finds
Jess Haines
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That’s not to say all self-published books are bad. I quite enjoyed this next one. Again, a couple of niggles with spelling and grammar, but nothing unforgivable. The story was excellent, the hero was hot, and I found the world-building fascinating.

Our heroine, Connie (aka, “Rabbit”), acts as bait to lure out vampires so the team of hunters she works with can kill them. During a hunt gone wrong, Rabbit finds herself falling in love with one of the vampires—Rurik, master of Budapest—and is soon i
Magen McMinimy
I enjoyed this book, there were a few things I thought were a little odd, such as Rurik not questioning Connie's acceptance of vampires, it seemed to me he should have found it odd that she didn't freak out or question him at all if their existence is supposed to be a secret.
I also found Connie a little hard to follow at times; there were a couple points in the book where her emotions flip flopped and I thought it was strange, but with those minors issues aside I thought it was a good book well
Jennifer Erwin
This one just didn't really do anything for me. The story flowed just enough to carry me through to the ending but not enough to make me want to read the rest of the series. It felt like the author didn't want to delve too far into the characters to tell us the "why". Why they do what they do, why they fall in love...where's the why?? I need to know. Oh well. It's out of my kindle TBR pile now.
Becky
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok I give this book 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. It is just good old fashioned vampire smut. Excellent smut. Good story. Likeable and hate-able characters.

Ending left room for a sequel/series and I see that there is one, so yay for me!

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A YOUNG ADULT BOOK. VERY MATURE CONTENT, SO TAKE CARE OF WHO READS IT!

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Spynonu
3.5 stars. This reminds me a lot of another vampire series I read (and loved) not long back. Even though the story seems eerily familiar I rather enjoyed this little romp through the land of vampires. I bought the rest of the series so I hope that the other stories are as much fun as this one!
Iona Fincati
Yes the writing is good. Yes, the story is good. It just drags on though. and at first there is amazing chemistry between the 2 main characters but then it fizzles out and I can see is due to the author staying more involved in the plot. Wanted to like it more but I lost interest
KelticKat
pretty much an average read - but still it held my attention.
Martine
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting at all from a freebie, absolutely loved it! The writing was great! Kept my attention and I really felt for Connie and Rurik, great book! Can't wait for the next one!
A.R. Von
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, exciting, sensual and suspenseful paranormal romance presented as only Annie Nicholas can. Any fan of the genre will find Bait very hard to put down once you get started.
Isabelle
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bit-lit, od
I don't really know how I feel about this book.. It is the first book in a really long time that got me reading in a sitting. It is very predictable, and I had to roll my eyes a couple of times in the beginning, but still, I was not able to put it down. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something had me hooked from the beginning. Maybe its the location in the book, Budapest, or the fact that Connie is putting herself out there as a bait, knowing very well the danger, but being brave enough ...more
Tina
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve had this book in my To Read for ages, should have read it ages ago it was great. Connie is what’s known as Bait, a lure for vampires so the team behind her headed by Colby can destroy their target, unfortunately the current target is the head vampire of Budapest and Rurik isn’t that easy to kill. Connie falls into the middle of a plot she’s not sure about and all the characters are hiding things, including herself. Her biggest thing are her feelings for Rurik. He’s not what she’s been told ...more
Meagon
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent read if you just need some quick, good ol’ guilty pleasure reading. Sexy vampires abound, and the heroine is fairly likable. One can’t help but notice the single main female character; surrounded by handsome, hunky men; with zero other strong, sexy female characters. The only other women that feature are grey-haired maternal figures and a psycho dominatrix (who of course is described to be sexier than the main character, but is universally despised by all the male characters). Scared of ...more
Kristen Lewendon
I’ve been an avid fan of the author’s Not This series and have had this book in my library waiting to be read for a couple of years now. I finally bit the bullet and read it. Having read Not His Vampire, I thought I might have had an inkling of what it was going to be like. Nope. This is a very different world. There’s still the signature humor I’ve come to expect from this author and the quirky characters who don’t behave in quite the way you’d think they should. But this world is brutal and vi ...more
Jessica
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggled to finish

After reading the werewolf bootcamp series, I thought to give this series a try. I struggled before even halfway thru the book, to finish. I think the closest comparison I can give is when you are watching a movie and the actors are just unbelievable in their roles so the whole movie falls flat. That's what this book felt like to me. The relationship, the emotions and feelings between Connie and Rurik just didnt come across. I found myself much more taken with Red and Colby th
KATHY
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vampire Bait (The Angler Book 1)

Connie is a human, who works for a group of vampire hunters. Colby is her boss. They are hunting a vampire, Rurik, and Connie is the bait.
The story is moves nicely and kept my interest. The vampire hunters have their hands full, as the vampires they are hunting, are a dangerous, deceptive, lying and murderous bunch.
There is laugher off and on, but Connie being in constant danger and being drugged, attacked and offered up as bait, makes her life in constant peri
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Coffee Time Romance 1 10 Mar 12, 2010 11:51AM

• Bound By Blood
  • Forever & The Power of One: The Forever Series, Book 1 & 2: A Reverse Harem Paranormal Romance
  • Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)
  • Blood Knot (Blood Stone, #1)
  • This Blood (Grace Allen, #1)
  • Caressed by Night (Rulers of Darkness, #2)
  • Prophecy: Child of Light (Vampires Realm, #1)
  • Bite
  • Shadow Love: Stalkers (Shadow Vampires, #1)
  • Reapers (The Druid Series #1)
  • Taming the Vampire (Blood and Absinthe, #1)
  • The Ghost Hunter (The Hunter, #1)
  • Rise of the Fallen (All the King's Men, #1)
  • Devon: The Beta's Double Trouble (Denver Pack, #3)
  • Blind Date with a Vampire
  • Jump (The Senses, #1)
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • La Luxure: Discover Your Blood Lust (Human Vampire #1)
Annie Nicholas hibernates in the rural, green mountains of Vermont where she dreams of different worlds, heroes, and heroines. When spring arrives the stories pour from her, in hopes to share them with the masses one day.

Mother, daughter, wife are some of the hats she happily wears while trudging after her cubs through the hills and dales. The four seasons an inspiration and muse.

Angler (5 books)
  • Catch (Angler, #2)
  • Release (Angler, #3)
  • Vampire Fugitive (Angler, #4)
  • Vampire Hook (Angler, #5)
“In reality, thousands of years of instinct kicked in. Your forebrain shuts down and a second later you’re running down a dark alley like a gazelle in three-inch” 2 likes
“granny-humping butt sucker!” 1 likes