Start by marking “Where There’s Smoke ...: Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Where There’s Smoke ...: Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, A Memoir

Where There’s Smoke ...: Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, A Memoir

One of the most iconic villains in the history of television, the enigmatic Cigarette Smoking Man fascinated legions of fans of the 1990s’ hit TV series, The X-Files. Best known as “Cancerman,” he was voted Television’s Favourite Villain by the readers of TV Guide. The man behind the villain, William B. Davis, is a Canadian actor and director, whose revelations in this ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Where There’s Smoke ..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where There’s Smoke ...

Start your review of Where There’s Smoke ...: Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, A Memoir
Rebecca McNutt
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is really great. Canadian actor William B. Davis was in a few of my favorite movies, such as The Messengers, Focus, Passengers and The Tall Man, and The Cigarette Smoking Man is such a far out character! It was interesting to read about the actor behind the character and his life before playing the arch-villain of The X-Files.
Michael
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
If you’re like me, you probably know the name William B. Davis from his work on The X-Files as the Cigarette Smoking Man.

But if you’ve ever wondered about the life and career of Davis before he found mainstream recognition as one of the best villains in television history, you will definitely want to pick up Davis’ autobiography, Where There’s Smoke…

Written in a conversational style, Davis engages the reader with stories of his youth and his young acting career in Canada. Davis chronicles his
Dawn C
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, I think I know far more about Bill Davis’ sex life than I ever wanted to.
Christopher Saunders
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Pleasant tell-all memoir by William B. Davis, the Canadian stage actor who became famous in middle-age as The X-Files' Cigarette-Smoking Man. Davis is a charming raconteur, recounting anecdotes of his life growing up in Toronto, his early life navigating Canada's burgeoning theater world and his detours to London's National Theatre, teaching acting in Vancouver and stardom there and Hollywood. Readers with a bent for theater history will get the most out of this book: Davis focuses on his ...more
usagi ☆ミ
The Cigarette Smoking Man was one of the most iconic villains of my childhood. I grew up watching "The X-Files" from the pilot onward (I was nine at the time), and though I dropped out from season 8 to right before the series finale in season 9, it still remains one of my go-to comfort shows whenever I get sick or feel down. When I lived in Japan and got sick I'd watched it dubbed in Japanese on TV there. CSM always fascinated me, because he seemed to have so many conflicting stories about him, ...more
Joseph
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book and a great read. Mr. Davis has had an interesting time as an actor. There are a few insights into the X-Files, but everything leading up to that is far more engrossing. I just interviewed Bill about this book and he is just as fun in person as he is on the page. I highly recommend this book.
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
WHERE THERE’S SMOKE…Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man was an interesting read. When I first received the book, I thought it was going to be about his time on the X-files. Being a fan of the show, this was why I wanted to read it. I was however pleasantly surprised that it was more than just that. It was about life and times of being an actor, the gossip, the hardships. He holds nothing back. This was my first autobiography and one that has drawn me into reading more.

Rating: 4

Reviewed by: KellyR
Lilly | mothcub
Jul 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Awful. The whole book is pretty much just "I slept with someone other than my wife again tee hee!" and lads, it is dull and pathetic. And I laughed out loud when he said Richard Dawkins was his hero.

Probably best to leave the Cigarette Smoking Man shrouded in mystery.
Oliver Wilson
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: given-away
There are a couple of things about which he seems slightly bitter, which taints it as an autobiography unfortunately.
Pierre A Renaud
Mar 04, 2012 marked it as to-read
X-Files' William B. Davis AKA Cigarette Smoking Man on Atheism, Skepticism and Life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTA6VH...
Glen Ray
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
William B. Davis’s memoir reminds me a lot of the John Lennon quote, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans”. The book chronicles his life as he navigates the Canadian, British, and American drama industry. Spending much of his time as a director of theater and teacher of acting, he eventually finds fame performing a television character that, for the most part, had no creative direction. It just happened. Anyone expecting a long X-Files expose’ will be disappointed. ...more
Fletcher
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
A womanising a-hole and a helluva good story-teller. Also provides a fascinating account of being an actor in Canada, from the 1940's on up.
Michele Mrazik Grasso
For those who love Theater!
Lucy
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Canadian politeness does NOT mean not saying exactly what you think. A tour of the history of Canadian theater and then a cutting view behind the scenes of The X-Files. Endlessly entertaining and fascinating.
Laima
Sep 30, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
**I won this book from Goodreads as a First Reads giveaway**

Thank you to the Goodreads author for sending me a free copy of this book. Review to follow upon completion.
Don T.