Start by marking “Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic” as Want to Read:
Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic

Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic

Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic features hundreds of letters and pictures from Harry Potter fans. Individually, these letters and pictures tell stories of how fans have been impacted and inspired by Harry Potter. Together they serve as proof of what all Potter fans know so well: the Harry Potter series changes lives.

Along with fans from around the world,
Paperback, 1st, 223 pages
Published June 2011

To ask other readers questions about Dear Mr. Potter, please sign up.
Kristin Unfortunately, unless you find a copy floating around e-bay or from a used book store, you can't buy it anymore. This book was done as a limited print…moreUnfortunately, unless you find a copy floating around e-bay or from a used book store, you can't buy it anymore. This book was done as a limited print and proceeds went to the HP Alliance.(less)
Mackenzie At amazon but unfortunately it's very expensive, £45.00+£2.80 UK delivery it's the cheapest you can buy at amazon

Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans of all ages!!!!!!!!!
Recommended to Lynette by: Mugglenet.com
UPDATE 2012: J.K. Rowling HAS read this book she received a copy and wrote on it "...and by the way...This book IS approved. JKR"

I absolutely LOVED this book! I wish I could give it 10 stars!!!!

We were leaving the house to go on our 2 week road trip, when my dad looks at the door. There is a package there. He brings it into the car, "Who ordered a book?" My hopes start to rise. Could it be? "What's it's name?" I ask him, barely able to contain my excitement. He pulls it out. "Dear Mr. Potter" I
Eden
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, own
I actually don't know where to start about this book... I was crying reading the inside jacket cover. LOVE the dedication "To Jo Rowling, from those who stuck with Harry until the very end."

This is siriusly an amazing book. The writing is amazing, the letters are heartbreaking, and the design is excellent.

I cried throughout this book, reading about how Harry Potter has effected so many lives, in so many different ways. Everyone in this book has been changed by the love, loss, fear, regret, passi
Daph (Loving Books)
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book made of letters, pictures and drawings done by fans.

Several stories made me tear up. I'd say this is a musthave for HP fans who are interested in how Harry and Jo have changed lives.

--------

This is not the kind of book I typically review on the blog (or on goodreads), but it's too good not to. If you're a Harry Potter fan like me, and you like reading about how Harry Potter has changed the lives of fans all around the world, this is a must have.

All the content inside this book i
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As someone whose life has been greatly impacted by Harry Potter, I knew as soon as I heard about this book that I would need a copy. There are those people who write Potter off as simply a children's book, but for those of us who cling to the series for hope, it is so much more than that. This is a wonderful collection of stories and pictures from Harry Potter fans of all ages, thanking their favourite characters or Jo Rowling herself for the influence they have on their lives. It's a must for a ...more
Maggie Needham
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the Harry Potter generation, nerdfighters
Shelves: non-fiction, library
I started reading this today and I lasted 20 pages before I had to stop because I couldn't stop crying. I'm going to take it slowly from now on.

Update: Finally finished.

This book is so amazing because it truly makes me feel like I'm not alone. Obviously Harry Potter has changed my life by influencing what I do -- listening to wizard rock, watching youtube, etc. -- but what this book really emphasized is how Harry Potter has changed who we ARE. It's made us compassionate, loyal, brave, and intell
Kimbi
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For those of you experiencing depression now that Harry Potter movies and books have ended....this will help. I cried many times, but on the other hand, it was lovely to know how many people share my sentiments on the magic of Mr. Potter.
Danielle
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
After all this time? Always. <3
Amy
Jul 12, 2011 marked it as to-read
It's good to know the company I'm in.

I started reading Harry Potter in late 1999 and my world has been changed because of it.
Anna
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Like many, Harry Potter changed my life. The books came to my attention when I was dealing with depression. It felt amazing to fall into Harry's world and escape. If it weren't for the books I would have no TBR List a mile long or be running a book blog. So, Thank you Mr. Potter!

Dear Mr. Potter is heartwarming and heartbreaking. This is a book every Potter fan should read. If you do get the chance, make sure to have some tissues handy. Each letter is quite moving. I loved reading all these lette
Marie
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was smiling while reading this book. Sometimes smiling whit tears in my eyes. I think my only complain was that some of the handwritten letters were a bit hard to read. Otherwise I loved reading about the experience of other Harry Potter fans, and I absolutely loved the opening of Evanna Lynch's letter.
Aliya
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, memoir-bio
As a Harry Potter nerd, of course I loved this book. Lily did an incredible job putting it together for over an entire year; the result is fantastic. While we've all read J.K. Rowling's series and had a similar attachment to it, each story in this book is unique in its own way. Each story reminded me of how long ago I myself began reading the books and how much I've loved them.
Tenley Nadine
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't cry easily. Not when my Grandparents died, not once when my Dad got sick and started going in and out of the hospital. But I did cry multiple times throughout this book. Its brilliant, any Harry Potter fan who does not own it needs to buy it immediately.
Ashley
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very touching. Makes me wish I had written my own letter...
Kimberly
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very touching letters from fans of the Harry Potter series. Now all that's left to do is write my own letter.
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads Summer Reading Challenge, June: Dear Pen Pal (Read a book that features letters or journal entries)
Yes, I am still known as the "Harry Potter friend"
Haley Keller
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
This book is absolutely brilliant! I can't praise it enough. If you're a Harry Potter fan, you'll love reading the letters in this book and seeing the effect Harry Potter has had on the lives of others. First of all, I just want to mention the cover art. I love how it has a letter on it, and the back shows the other side of the envelope. This book doesn't even have a publisher. Lily Zalon edited it and got it published herself, and guess what. She's "just" a teenager. The fact that she was able ...more
Jenn
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I follow the Harry Potter Alliance on Twitter and saw them tweet a lot about this, so I went to check it out. It was available for pre-order and I was feeling a bit sad about the whole Potter thing coming to an end with the last movie, so I ordered it. When it came in, I was impressed with now nice it looked and the content just from a quick skim. I finally picked it up this weekend to read. This is one of those books that you can't just sit down and read. I had to read it in short bursts. I WAN ...more
Liam Floyd
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
To the average person who would read this, this book would make absolutely no sense and would seem repetitive and a waste of book.

The Harry Potter fan community is anything but average. If you are a part of this fandom and have grown up with Harry Potter in any capacity, this book is a must-read. Be warned of major tears especially in the letters of Evanna Lynch and John Green. Every letter is absolutely beautiful and helps ou relive your own personal experience with the series that every fan ha
Jul 14, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: Any Harry Potter Fan
One of the most amazing books I have ever read, mostly to do with the fact that I am one of the people who have been reading the Harry Potter series as I grew up. So if I had known about this book I would have sent one of my own letters in but I found out to late. However everything each one of the letters in this book say has heart behind it and if you can't see it you're blind and heartless (harsh but its true to me). If you have read any of the Harry Potter books this book is one you should a ...more
Paul Huber
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I want to give this 5 stars because this book is absolutely GORGEOUS and extremely well put together. However all the letters start to be about the same and there are so many typos in the text. But it's still really great and full of pictures and would make an exciting addition to any Potterhead's Potter Shrine
Ris
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I was so in love with this project idea when it was first announced (and still am)! I even submitted something, although I think it only made it to the Tumblr page. This book is so beautifully constructed, and I always love reading people's stories about how they got into various fandoms and what they mean to them.

I won't lie, I cried a little. It was wonderful.
Jocelyn
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute and touching stories that Harry Potter fans have written about how the Harry Potter series has impacted or changed their lives. Some of the letters are genuinely sob-worthy. Very nice little book. And kudos to Lily Zalon for taking the time to collect all of the letters and photos and compiling them into such a nice edition.
Kate
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dear Mr. Potter,

While reading this book, I was suddenly reminded why I loved them so much in the first place; the community surrounding you and your adventures is so extensive and so supportive. I have never experienced anything like it, before or since. I pretty much cried through every letter.

For this world, this place, for Hogwarts, I can never thank you enough.

Kate, 24, Gryffidor
Anne
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful gorgeous books of letters from fans (and family of fans) to Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Luna Lovegood and JK Rowling. Best read in small doses so the letters, which can be very similar, each have a moment to shine. Some are heartwarming and some are heartbreaking but all will remind you why these books mean so much to you and others all over the world.
Kristina
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was so wonderful.
I think that it's fantastic to read about other Potterhead's lives and how long they've known Harry Potter. It helps you to feel more connected to the Potterverse.

Honestly, it was just very lovely and touching.
Jenn
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Harry Potter.
This book made me cry! Getting to see how the series affected people other than myself. That was just so amazing! Getting to read about everyone's individual life of Potter, it was absolutely amazing! I loved this book and it is a constant read for me!
Ivy Sarah Moe
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
As a Harry Potter fan I cried and laughed over the words of my fellow Hogwartians. All of these letters, photos and drawings are beautiful, but those that touched me most were from Rebecca K. (pg. 22) and Evanna Lynch (pg. 154-158)
Mattie
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is purely about people that owe something to Harry Potter and JK Rowling. It is the stories of how Harry changed their lives. Whether it made them read or a certain character helped them deal with their own issues. Great read.
Alex Mortensen
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm really sad I took over a year to finish this, but emotionally I couldn't handle it too often.
Finished it tonight while listening to the HP soundtracks. Let's just say I'm an emotional wreck right now. :)
Jordan Wilson
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this over the summer, like dealing with the last movie coming out wasn't enough, right?
This book made me laugh and cry.
I could identify with every single letter from other Potter lovers and how much the series means to them.
Buy this book 4 13 Mar 28, 2014 08:10PM
  • Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures
  • Fact, Fiction, and Folklore in Harry Potter's World: An Unofficial Guide
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-By-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
  • Mugglenet.Com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon