Start by marking “Duped!: True Stories of the World's Best Swindlers” as Want to Read:
Duped!: True Stories of the World's Best Swindlers

Duped!: True Stories of the World's Best Swindlers

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
As long as there have been people willing to believe the unbelievable, people have been duped. In the best storytelling tradition, readers can follow the tales of: • How the Nazis planned to destroy the British economy during World War II by flooding the world with millions of fake British banknotes • How an infamous radio broadcast had American citizens convinced that Mar ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Annick Press (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Duped!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duped!

Kirsti
I think this would be a great read for young adults--it's vividly written, well-sourced, and combines well-known stories (Orson Welles's Martian hoax of 1938) with obscure ones (Operation Bernhard).

Did you know that the Nazis counterfeited British money in an attempt to destabilize the currency? It might have won them the war if they'd started earlier and produced more fake bills. The counterfeits they made were so good that the British left them in circulation after the war rather than try to f
Raina
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I bumped this to the top of my reading pile as soon as I saw it, knowing it was a great candidate for book blurbs as I promoted the Summer Reading Program in 2012.

And, yeah, it's pretty darn stellar.

It's a small, softcover book, and it looks like a comic book. There are portions in each chapter where you need to read a page or two in comic form to understand the plot. But most of it is in traditional print.

Schroeder goes through a bunch of major con jobs, laying out the facts in an engaging n
Logan D
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked the idea of the book.my favourite dupe was the lady in France who said she got a will for 1,000,000 but it was a lot less money
Quincy
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Something that I htink about this book is that I thougt that the book was good because this book called DUPED is about how people in the 18th century used scams.These people used scams becuse when they trun broke in money they used scams to get their money.When you use scams all your doing is stealing other people's money.For an example this man named William was writing peoms.He aws so good that the top three poetery writers of London came to William's house to meet him in person.But then Will ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I found this one an unexpectedly enthralling and quick read. I hadn't actually planned to read it, but flipping through one of the story's caught my eye and I thought I'd check out the introduction. However, the introduction leads quickly into the six stories which are then irresitably easy to read and filled with suspense over how the swindler got caught and their punishment. Each scenario is divided into even briefer chapters which also keeps things moving. I was a bit disappointed that there ...more
Kaethe
Tash took it from my stack and ran off into the night. But what a fun premise. I hope we both like it.

***

Once I got it back from her it was a quick read. We did both like it. A fun range of hoaxes, some deliberate frauds, some money-making schemes, some clever, some desperate. Should have broad appeal to lots of kids. My personal favorite was the to-me unknown saga of the Nazi counterfeiting scheme which turned into another Schindler's List. Well, that and the clever French woman who managed to
Danielleacorn
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
For this book I liked most of the storys but some wernt that good. My favorite story was the one when they found the lost tribe in the jungle. It was my favorite because I thoght it was the most interesting. My least favorite one was the one were they found all the bank notes floting in the river because it was long and boring. I also liked the one were there were three guys on the radio reading a peice of wrighting from a play. The play was about aliens ataking the earth. I found it funny that ...more
Annalee Schnebele
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Why this is great nonfiction:
1. The book is broken in to different swindles. Each one took me less than ten minutes to read. This would be a great book to break into different shorter readings for class instruction.
2. The topic. Tricks and swindles. My eighth graders would have LOVED this topic.
3. Illustrations. It's a great way to sell a book to unfans of reading. The illustrations give great context to the story and the comic panels help enhance what is being told in the text.

My favorite secti
Lisa
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My jaw kept dropping every other paragraph during the first two hoaxes featured in Duped. Even Schroeder's account of a hoax I was familiar with, Orson Welles's broadcast of War of the Worlds in 1938, held surprises. (And then my roommate had me listen to Radiolab's story on War of the Worlds, which was interesting but kind of grim). Anyway, this was a fun and informative book. I know what I'll be talking about at every party I go to for the next six months.
Adrienne
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
This book covers eight stories of deception, from an alien invasion that set many parts of the U.S. into a panic to a man who first wrote and then pretended to discover two original works from Shakespeare, all in an attempt to impress his father.
Some of these stories were more interesting than others, and the book seemed to end a little abruptly, but overall, this is a good choice for reluctant readers. Its quick stories, along with comic-style illustrations, make it a fast and easy read, but it
Emily
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was good. Some of the stories were a bit confusing. For example: The story called La Grande Therese Steps Out. My favourite Story was about people fighting over an elephant but the guy who owned the circus he was paying the newspaper to put out fake adds about the elephant so people would buy elephant souverniers so he could make a lot of money. I also like the comics. It was interesting to learn about the scams people pull for money.
Christiane
Short, fun collection of famous swindles and scams throughout history, including the "War of the Worlds" radio play, the stone-age cave dwellers of the Philippines, P.T. Barnum's Jumbo the elephant, and "Operation Bernhard" during WWII. The book is fact-filled but very readable, full of entertaining sidebars and comic-book panels. There is also a useful bibliography.
Ubalstecha
This collection of stories of famous swindles and cons is an excellent book for the a vast swatch of the Junior/Intermediate population. Students will be saying, "Really?" "No way!" as they go through each event. It helps that is was written by Andreas Schroeder, who loves his material and, as a radio journalist, has an easy to read style.

Get this.
Angie
This is an interesting collection of tales of people being duped. The stories are really quite fascinating. The people behind the scams are very intelligent and crafty. The book can be read as a whole or individual chapters chosen based on their subject matter. I think kids would get a kick out of the stories and the fact that they are true makes them even more fun to read.
Sydneyreader
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: silver-birch
I absolutely loved this book. My favourite story was about Mr.Keeley when he made a fake source of power that was really only pressurized air. I also enjoyed the comics added in throughout the stories. However I didn't enjoy the story about the Tasaday.
readknitread
Several short stories about some well thought out scams. It has illustrated cartoons that help break up the chapter book format. It is high interest for middle school students with low reading levels.

Great chapters to book talk are the War of the Worlds and La Grande Therese.
Beverly
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-nonfiction
Wow! The wild things that people, especially rich people, will believe!!
Mya
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Funny who you can trick in sutch a simple way.
Zack Blaze
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I like this book because there were alot of cool dupes like scams and thiefs. I would recommened this book for kids who like scams
PWRL
Nov 14, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Louise Bendall
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun colleciton of true stories about incredible cons, with great illustrations. I particularly enjoyed reading about the lost Tasaday tribe - a hoax that went on for years!
Harriette
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Interesting writing style; engaging for readers young and old. Introduction explores who humans allow themselves to be duped at time.
Pamela
Funny and quirky short stories about some famous con jobs. Good nonfiction reading for middle schoolers.
Stephanie
Jul 15, 2014
Tanisha Shakya
Jun 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
As the “resident Scam-meister” on the popular CBC Radio show Basic Black, Andreas Schroeder spent twelve years reporting on ingenious frauds, swindles, and hoaxes that have been committed around the world. Though the radio show ended in 2002, Andreas’s fascination with the subject continued, culminating in the publication of Scams! (2004), stories of some of history’s greatest tricksters.

Aside fro