Start by marking “Night Visions 5” as Want to Read:
Night Visions 5

Night Visions 5 (Night Visions #5)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  1,529 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Douglas E. Winter presents a collection of all-new, tantalizingly terrifying stories by masters of horror. "Strong stuff, with good shudder potential ... A success ... You'll want to read this one!"--Locus.

* Introduction - Douglas E. Winter
* The Reploids - Stephen King
* Sneakers - Stephen King
* Dedication - Stephen King
* Metastasis - Dan Simmons
* Vanni Fucci is Alive and W
Hardcover, First Trade Edition, 274 pages
Published May 1988 by Dark Harvest (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Night Visions 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Visions 5

This hardcover is numbered 154 of 850 copies and is signed by by Stephen King, Dan Simmons, George R.R. Martin. Illustrated by Ron Lindahn and Val Lakey Lindahn. Calligraphy by Gregory Manchess.
Horace Derwent
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
iverson's pit really shook the shit outta me, it's my fave in this book and i almost had forgotten the other stories for it

in deed i got inspired by the dan simmons's story. 4 years ago, i wrote a short horror tale which was just based on real characters and real incidents, set in the time of Cultural Revolution, resembling iverson's pit

i rolled this story of mine into a collection which has 2 other horror tales, all of them have the backgrounds of true events which happened in the miserable era
Ruth Turner

Rounded up to 3*** because although I didn’t like the endings in The Reploids and Sneakers I still enjoyed the stories.

Dark Visions is a 1989 horror fiction compilation, with three short stories by Stephen King, three by Dan Simmons, and one by George R. R. Martin. I’m only reading Stephen King.

The Reploids – 2**

The ending left me a little up in the air. At first I thought my copy was missing some pages, but apparently not!

Sneakers - 2**

(Also collected in Nightmares and Dreamscapes)

Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this book to me and the cover looked very familiar. It should have, because I own it! I read it a while ago and marked the book up with post its. Obviously I loved it. I guess I should reread so I can write a proper review.
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gets five stars just for George R.R. Martin's werewolf novella. Everything else is just tasty frosting.
Jorge Soto
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creo que en esta pequeña compilación de cuentos, King se quedó corto :( muy buenos relatos de Dan Simmons y George R. R. Martin
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This is a collection of short stories, and the one that really stands out for me is The Skin Trade by George R.R. Martin. Imagine a light hearted private detective story with elements of werewolf (although they're not all wolves)mythology thrown in, and you've got the general idea. I really think this was the inspiration for Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series, although she took a darker, more police procedural approach, and worked in necromancy and vampirism as well.
The other shorts in thi
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Introduced me to Dan Simmons and George R.R. Martin. Some of my favorite short stories, although King's didn't do much for me.
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant stories by brilliant authors. I only just discovered the awesomeness of Dan Simmons with Summer of Night, but I've been a fan of Stephen King since I was 10.

I'd never read George R R Martin before even though I'm a huge GoT fan. I'd heard that although the story is great (of course) his writing wasn't, so I hadn't bothered with any of his books. Big mistake! His novella, The Skin Trade, is one of the best short stories (supernatural horror, or otherwise) that I have ever read! I can't
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a collection of horror shorts and longs by Stephen King, Dan Simmons, and George R.R. Martin. Most of it was quite good, but one long story by Dan Simmons, "Iverson's Pits," nearly sunk it for me. Very, very long and boring. Of King's offerings, "Sneakers" was really good, and Simmons had a good one with "Metastasis." Martin's lone offering was "The Skin Trade," which was really good and tied off the collection nicely.

Carlos Marin
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una antología de King-Simmons-Martin nunca puede ser mala; más si son relatos tan rara avis como estos. La novela corta de Stephen es DEMENCIAL.
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
4 Stars for the collection. Breaking that down by author, I'd rate them this way: Dan Simmons - 4 1/2, Stephen King 3 1/2, George R. R. Martin - 5
Sandra ZeilenSprung
Die Stories von King und Simmons nur ok, die Novelle von Martin aber der HAMMER!
Jennifer Johnson
I read this book when I was in school over 20 years ago and I STILL remember it. The Skin Trade really is one of the best werewolf stories out there. I wwish the author had done a series based on that concept. The other stories in the collection are just as fantastically written. Incredible anthology and worth the read if you can track down a good copy.
Natalia Cáceres
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pueden 2 cuentos subir la apreciación de todo el libro? Claro que sí! Yo lo compraría solamente para leer "Metástasis" de Dan Simmons y "Cambiando de piel", de George RR Martin (Una intensisima historia de hombres lobo con muy buenos personajes y una trama que uno desearía fuese más extensa).
Dane Cobain
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was quite the find – I picked it up for 50p in the Ten Bob Barn at Astley Book Farm. The cover jumped out at me to begin with because of its psychedelic design and awesome colours. It’s also a hardback, which helps – I don’t go out of my way to get them, but I do enjoy them when I find them. Mostly, though, this book caught my eye because it’s got Stephen King and George R. R. Martin in it.

What we have here, then, is a cracking collection of shorts that are grouped by author, for your
Julia Fedenkiv
I truly enjoyed reading "Dedication", and "The skin trade". But the cherry of this collection for me is "Metastasis", unique idea covered in a great writing style.
Mark Smith-briggs
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martin's novella Skin Trade is superb as is King's story Dedication. The other tales are solid too but not quite good enough to give it five stars overall.
Joseph Sellors
Some fun if strange short stories. Iverson's pits and the skin trade are the definite stand out stories. Worth a read while not particularly outstanding.
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, crime
Nice solid collection of horror stories from three different noted horror/fantasy authors. I bought it for the King stories, but actually, the others may be even better.

Breakdown by author:

Stephen King: "The Reploids" -- Reads like the opening to a novel. More of a scene-setter than a real story. It is interesting to read his description of another dimension's version of Johnny Carson; it reads eerily like Jay Leno, to me. (The story was written prior to Leno's assumption of the Tonight Show hos
3 stories by Stephen King - Unfortunately I had already read two of them. "Reploids", the one that I had not read, is a delightful glimpse into a world that has had a terrible mix-up, which caused Johnny Carson to go missing (this was published in 1988). I liked the premise and would have minded reading more. "Sneakers" is the story of a modern haunting, with good characters and build-up. "Dedication" combines a bit of voodoo with an abusive, alcoholic writer who could be based on someone like G ...more
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recopilación de relatos de Stephen King, Dan Simmons, George R.R. Martin. Hay que decir que solo conocía la obra de Stephen King, de George R.R. Martin solo he leído "Canción de hielo y fuego".

Los relatos de Stephen King no están mal pero dentro de su amplia obra no son muy destacables (Siempre que se pueda decir que una historia sobre un water encantado no es destacable).

De los relatos de Dan Simmons destaco Metástasis, curiosa idea bien planteada y desarrollada. La experiencia de tener una vi
Daisy Madder
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
3/5, though I'd probably give it one more without the King stories...
A mixed bunch. The Stephen King stories are very, well, King, and not his best work by a long shot, although at least two of them are very short.
Two of the Simmons stories (Metastasis and Iverson's Pits) do what Simmons does best, leaving you with a feeling of uncomfortableness rather than being outright scary. The third of his is a much sillier story, about the comeuppance of a rich evangelical preacher on the day a 500 year
Zantaeus Glom
While 'Dark Visions wasn't a classic collection of macabre fiction by any means, I thoroughly enjoyed Simmon's 'Iverson's Pits'; and, woah, Nelly!!!! George R.R Martin's 'Skin Trade' is quite somethin' else!

'I felt my lips wither and dry in the heat, pulling back from my teeth, felt my jaws open wider and wider in a mirthless, silent laugh as ligaments decayed or were chewed away by small predators. I felt lighter as the eggs hatched, the maggots began their frenzied cleansing, my body turning t
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok we got a audio collection apparently from the uK as the title is
all screwed up. But the source material is excellent. Its from a dark
harvest collection that is more then a little kick em ass.

First up is S King.
Reploids= its olright
Sneakers=pretty good
dedication=did not finish

Then we got Dan the man Simmons
Metastasis= Lightnin bolt of a story =Excellent
Vanni Fucci is alive and well and living in hell= Good, yeah its good
Iverson's Pits= Pretty boring and not up to snuff

3rd up is George R.R Mart
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lauren by: Ryan
I skipped right to Martin's "The Skin Trade" in this collection. I'm such a sucker for these kinds of stories... love the whole werewolf/lycanthrope idea- especially when it's done this way, rather than the cheesy love story, a.k.a the "Twilight" books/movies.

But I digress... my point is, I flew through this. The ending sort of came out of left field for me, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. Martin's fantastic.

Also, FYI... they're making a movie out of it, here's the press release:

Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Metastasis and Vanni Fucci were the best stories in this compilation, giving these short stories 5 stars. You have to read these, repeat, you have to read these. Although Iverson's Pits was a little rough starting it was also an alright story giving it 3.75 stars. All three Steven King short stories keep you reading by either being strange, very weird or just plain amusing and I would give them all 3 stars. The Skin Trade kept you reading and had lots of excitement but in the end didn' ...more
Stephen King: disappointing, only the second one deserves to be read.
- The Reploids 2/5
- Sneakers 3/5
- Dedication 1/5

Dan Simmons: an author I had never read. Not bad short stories but nothing mind blowing either.
- Metastasis 3/5
- Vanni Fucci is Alive and Well and Living in Hell 2/5
- Iverson's Pits 2/5

George R.R. Martin: a must read novella for all horror and werewolves aficionados.
- The Skin Trade 5/5
Okay, full disclosure time. I only read the Stephen King stories in my quest to read all his novels & short stories. Really I only had to read The Reploids, as the other two stories are in other published short story collections that I have read previously.

I liked The Reploids. It is weird and unsettling. I like that it only gives enough information to know that something is seriously wrong and leaves you wondering what the hell went on.
Cameron Lincoln
Iverson's Pits by Dan Simmons is a wonderfully evocative historical ghost story, and the standout of the book. George RR Martin's Skin Trade is a fun pulpy werewolf detective story that feels a little dated now, but still raises a smile.

The three Stephen King stories? I enjoy many of King's tales, but these rank nowhere near even his most average of books. Dedication, it must be said, and I see its been said many times, is a nasty piece of work with a whoopee cushion of a climax. Laughable.
  • Umney's Last Case
  • The Bone Yard
  • Stalkers
  • Shock Rock, Volume I
  • The Ultimate Werewolf
  • Books of Blood: Volume Six (Books of Blood, #6)
  • Gallery of Horror
  • The Cleanup
Douglas E. Winter is an American writer, critic and lawyer. A life-long interest in horror has led him to develop a parallel career as horror writer and horror critic. Winter edited horror anthologies Prime Evil (1988), and Revelations (1997) as well as the interviews collection Faces of Fear (1985, revised 1990). He has also written biographies of Stephen King and Clive Barker. He is a member of ...more
More about Douglas E. Winter...

Night Visions (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Night Visions: In the Blood

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • July, July
  • Clock Without Hands
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99