Start by marking “The Last Letter from Your Lover” as Want to Read:
The Last Letter from Your Lover

The Last Letter from Your Lover

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  59,070 Ratings  ·  5,630 Reviews
Look out for Jojo’s new book, Paris for One and Other Stories, coming October 18, 2016.

A sophisticated, page-turning double love story spanning forty years-an unforgettable Brief Encounter for our times from the New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You, After You, and One Plus One.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember not
Published (first published January 10th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Letter from Your Lover, please sign up.
Caroline I agree that it does drag in parts, but I would suggest tolerating the slow parts, whipping through them if need be, because the end makes it…moreI agree that it does drag in parts, but I would suggest tolerating the slow parts, whipping through them if need be, because the end makes it worthwhile.(less)

Summer
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, 2011
I won The Last Letter From Your Lover in a GoodReads First Reads giveaway.

This novel depicts a young woman's struggle with her marriage during the 1960s when divorce was taboo and society rules dictated that women be seen and not heard. This novel also depicts a young woman in the present day who struggles with her relationship with a married man and her job at a newspaper, which she is at risk of losing.

I got a little lost in this novel, not because it was confusing, but because the voice chang
Luffy
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a 'cold case' with 'love story' interspersed through it. Jennifer wakes up in a hospital suffering from total amnesia. That's in 1960. But someone, years later, will take up the cold trail of Jennifer's fate, and follow it faithfully until she knows what has happened to Jennifer.

I thought that Jennifer would have to be devious to cheat on her husband. But then, autres temps, autres moeurs. The author manages to make me sympathize with Jennifer. What is great is that never is it told outr
Jeanne
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jojo Moyes knows how to tell a compelling story! This was a very romantic double love story that centered around secret hand written love letters. The first two-thirds of the book was Jennifer Stirling's story taking place in the early 1960's. I'm not sure why I always think I'm not going to like a historical romance, because so far I have loved the ones I've read. This was my favorite part of the book. I felt that Ms. Moyes did a beautiful job of painting a picture of this period of t
William
I'm expecting that I am one of very few readers who did not absolutely love this book. As far as I can tell, I am the only male who has read it, which may explain my minority view. For the first half, I kept fighting not to abandon it entirely. But as it turns out, this is really two novels: a fairly pedestrian one about a love affair in 1960 and a more engaging sequel forty years later. I wonder if the 400-page book could have simply started in the middle and been a lot better.

Why did the first
Maria Clara
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jojo-moyes
Una historia sin duda cautivadora!!! Es lo primero que leo de esta escritora y me ha conquistado en mayúsculas. Un relato exquisito. Una pluma suave y delicada. Y dos historias de amor a cuál más dura y tierna a la vez. Sin embargo, no he podido darle las cinco estrellas, porque en cada capítulo me perdía y no sabía si estaba en el antes o en el antes del accidente. Pero sí quiero remarcar que las cartas de amor son... y más después de haber leído el final de la novela: cuando sabes que realment ...more
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
3 stars

photo PhotoGrid_1413047827033_zps2b9522d3.jpg

I had a really hard time getting into this. The multiple povs, the story was all over the place in part 1 and was too confusing for me. Also I didnt like present day heroine, Ellie and felt like the author could have left her story out.

It was a forbidden romance with a lot of missed opportunities and I started to get into the story more by part 2 but by part 3 I felt exhausted. There was some good plot twist but by the end it didnt leave me satisfied. Im glad I picked it up though as
PDXReader
I cannot believe how much I disliked this book. I tried to like it -- I really tried -- but honestly, it's got to be the least satisfying book I've read this year.

The first section occurs in 1960, and it's dreadful. The plot is thin and predictable, the characters melodramatic, one-dimensional and stereotypical. The writing is terrible; not only is it over-the-top, but several times I had to re-read sentences to try to figure out what the author was trying to say (never a good sign). Even the se
M
May 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Must remember to not go by goodreads ratings alone. This staggeringly high rating average indicates that the people who picked this up realized it was a sappy romance novel and were actually pleased by that idea. My one star indicates that I am not the intended audience, and I do not appreciate the pretty, trapped wife for whom infidelity is actually a noble act, nor the conveniently awful husband whom she would be right to cheat, or that rich people are predictably the boring and evil people an ...more
Carol
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Add me to the legions of fans of JoJo Moyes. I’m not exactly certain how to classify her books but women’s contemporary fiction suits as well as anything. The two I’ve read were love stories at their core. Some would call them romance, not me. Romantic perhaps.

It is 1960. Jennifer Stirling is hospitalized, suffering from memory loss due to a severe car accident. This alone caught my attention as what the brain will forget when stressed interests me. When released she goes home to her husband and
Paula Margulies
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves a better title. Wonderful writing and an intriguing storyline (with a kick-ass twist at the end!).
Connie
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-reads, 2014
I first thought, what a great love story Moyes has written, just beautifully done. So a 3 star from me...good story, well developed characters, kept my interest. Meaning and depth? Maybe not. But the more I thought about this the higher the rating went.

I was so used to her taking on a timely topic....assisted suicide in "Me Before You:, the theft of art etc by the Nazi's in "The Girl You Left Behind" and I thought, eh, just a light love story. But the more I thought of this book the more I real
Jennifer Masterson
What a disappointment. This book was boring and filled with one-dimensional characters. I'm shocked that this is by the same author who wrote "Me Before You" which is one of my favorite books of all time.
Helene Jeppesen
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this book, I immediately got mildly irritated with all the chick-lit clichés that the first chapter had, and I thought to myself that this was going to be another one of those chick-lit books that are very relaxing to read, but that I've slowly gotten tired of over the years.
Then I turned the page, the second chapter started and I was immediately grabbed by the turn in both the story and its vibe. This was a completely different story, and as I kept on reading, I got more
B the BookAddict
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lite-reading

The title of this book would normally render it one that I would not read. It was a freebie and I picked it up because my library book had not become available yet. And surprisingly, I'm glad I did. The theme caught my attention because it is similar to that in The Things We Never Said by Susan Elliot Wright. Both have two stories based forty years apart whose connection is revealed only in the very last pages of the novel.

1964 and Jennifer Stirling wakes in a hospital after a shocking car acci
Annalynn
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books that sounds like an incredible story, but the execution of that story is lacking. Spoilers follow, since there is no way to discuss it otherwise. It was a confusing story that could have been great, but, alas, it was presented poorly. The first half of the book is set in either 1960 or 1964. It alternates back and forth between the two time frames. Adding to the confusion is that every time it would switch between the years, the chapter would often start out featuring ...more
Liza Wiemer
A giveaway for this book and ME BEFORE YOU (US only) is on my blog through February 17, 2014, 11:59 pm CST - thank you to the publisher for providing the books. http://www.whorublog.com/?p=2847

Jojo Moyes once again proves that neither time nor distance can put out the flames of true love, love that doesn't just connect bodies, but souls.
Take Jennifer Stirling and Anthony "Boot" O'Hare. Anthony, a reporter for "The Nation," joined Jennifer and her wealthy husband Laurence at their home on the Fr
Marisa Sauco
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lloro de emoción...
M A R A V I L L O S A. ❤

¡Qué placer leer a Jojo Moyes!
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Brilliant, evocative, and tragic (but not without redemption), The Last Letter from Your Lover is as good as Moyes' Me Before You. I started sobbing 90 percent in and haven't yet stopped. I'm a bloody mess; rarely does a book offer such catharsis.

The book begins in 1960s London. Two people meet: The aloof, beautiful, polished Jennifer is married to Laurence, a successful, detached, casually cruel businessman who manages various mines in Africa. Anthony is a journalist, divorced, a heav
Somi mhd
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
كتاب بايد تو همون بخش دوم تموم ميشد، بقيه ش واقعا خسته كننده بود🤦🏻♀ ...more
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! Big sigh! A delicious read!
Started this book yesterday & couldn't put it down until I finished today.
Tragic & so sad, and yet hopeful...

One of my favourite parts was in a letter where Anthony writes, "...to have someone out there who understands you, who desires you, who sees you as a better version of yourself, is the most astonishing gift. Even if we are not together, to know that, for you, I am that man is a source of sustenance for me. I'm not sure how I earned the ri
Jane
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, book-club
Where I got the book: my local library. A book club read. WARNING: A BIT SPOILERISH.

This novel kept me on my toes, and therefore interested. It started out with a fairly familiar trope, where the main character is recovering from an accident and can’t remember her life before, but as time goes on she realizes that people are keeping something from her. And then she begins to find letters hidden around her house, and realizes she had a lover—now who WAS that guy anyway?

So we began with a little m
Chandelle19
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
یه هزارتوی عاشقانه ی تراژیک و یه شخصیت پردازیِ یونیک! ... با اینکه یکی دو ماه پیش تمومش کردم هنوز با آنتونی اوهرم و جنیفر استرلینگ و نامه هاشون، اآلی و جان و لورانس و بقیه درگیرم ... هنوز تو روزگارشون زندگی می کنم ... :) یکی از بهترین هایی که تجربه کردم ...
Lisa
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another of Jojo Moyes wonderful stories, this one centering on Jennifer Stirling who wakes up in a hospital in 1960 not knowing who she is or where she is. Having been in a horrible car accident, she has no knowledge of what got her there. Coming home, she discovers that she lives a life of privilege and is living a life with a husband who is cold and unloving. Searching around the house in hopes of discovering who she is, she discovers letters secreted in hiding places, love letters wri ...more
Phrynne
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not generally read romances but Jojo Moyes manages to write her romance with a bit more substance than most including a catchy story and reasonably realistic characters. This book also has the advantage of being set back a little in the past and the descriptions of relationships and attitudes of the sixties were very true. It was certainly a page turner for me and I especially liked the happy ending. No problem giving it four stars!
Jen
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I have to admit, I liked this book. Definitely chick lit. At times it was very reminiscent of Letters to Juliet and felt like I was reading that story. It did have a love story within a love story. As well as a 40 year gap in one of them. I might have shed a tear even. I've officially been baptized into Moyes' works and now look feverishly to her other stories!
Connie
The Last Letter from Your Lover is a romance complicated by family obligations and missed opportunities. In London in the 1960s, Jennifer is recovering from a serious auto accident and has severe memory loss. She does not remember her wealthy husband who treats her like a possession. She finds some hidden passionate letters, signed only with a B, and tries to piece together her secret life. Who was B?

Forty years later, a journalist Ellie comes upon several of B's romantic letters stored
Neïra Neïra
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cautivada por Jojo Moyes. Qué historia... preciosa, conmovedora, complicada, intensa... me ha encantado. Y eso que al principio el estilo narrativo me resultó un poco enrevesado, más complejo que sus otras novelas, pero enseguida me enganché a la historia y la he disfrutado muchísimo.
La recomiendo totalmente.
Ksenia
4 Stars

I think I can tell that Jojo Moyes became one of my favorite authors. I’ve read four books by her and I loved them all. I read The Last Letter from Your Lover back in May, when I had a break from reviewing. I had a pile of books, and I ended up writing mini-reviews for most of them. Not in this case. This book deserves a full review.

The Last Letter from Your Lover has similar structure to another Jojo Moyes’s book The Girl You Left Behind. There are two stories in one book. Strangely, I w
Stephanie
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, own
I have loved every book that I have read by Jojo Moyes…Me Before You, Me After You, The Girl You Left Behind, One Plus One, Honeymoon in Paris, and Paris for One, and I have about 6 more of her books on my shelf waiting to be read. She is one author I would recommend without any reservations to anyone who loves stories that while often heartbreaking are also insightful, poignant, clever, and speak of the strength of the human spirit as well as its frailties.

Moyes is a consummate storyteller, and
  • Letters from Home
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After
  • Next to Love
  • The Soldier's Wife
  • The Woman He Loved Before
  • The Violets of March
  • Fractured
  • Bird Brain
  • Leoniderne (Spektrum, #1)
  • Secrets She Left Behind (Before the Storm #2)
  • The Making of Us
  • The Sweetness of Forgetting
  • The Ninth Wife
  • The First Last Kiss
  • The Lost Wife
  • Lessons in Laughing Out Loud
  • Best Kept Secret
  • The Little Women Letters
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar
More about Jojo Moyes

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
“Know that you hold my heart, my hopes, in your hands.” 86 likes
“I was once told by someone wise that writing is perilous as you cannot always guarantee your words will be read in the spirit in which they were written.” 70 likes