Start by marking “Wycliffe and the School Bullies” as Want to Read:
Wycliffe and the School Bullies

Wycliffe and the School Bullies (Wycliffe #7)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Bullying and persecution among a group of schoolgirls leads to violent retribution and a race against time for Wycliffe.

Two very different young women have been murdered within the same week. One was a singer in a nightclub, the other a nurse - but both were strangled in their own homes in very similar attacks. The press are quick to assume there is a psychopath on the loo
Published November 9th 2006 by Orion (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Wycliffe and the School Bullies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wycliffe and the School Bullies

Pat
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the mysteries of W. J. Burley...this one is quite a bit different since we know pretty early who the killer is and we are meant to. We can guess the motive, but the details are still fuzzy. We have to follow Wycliffe as he sorts out the problems and slowly comes round to the solution. One of the better ones so far.
Swapna
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really nice book in the Wycliffe series – one of the best that I’ve read so far. Even though the killer is known early on, the reader actually sympathises with him and feels that the killings are justified. I was actually disappointed that he couldn’t finish off the last one.
Wonder if the book would have been more interesting if Burley had disclosed the background incident towards the end, rather than beginning with it.
Tim
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wycliffe, fiction
Enjoyable but fairly light mystery thriller. A teenage girl school trip turns into a bullying incident with repercussions years later. Simple for mr wycliffe to solve and no real tension in the tale but good none the less.
Dave Holcomb
Another of those British mystery novels without a lot of mystery in them: we knew who the killer was pretty much right from the get-go. That said, however, it was still an excellent read; I enjoyed following the two tracks, of killer and of cops, as they slowly converged.
Lynda
May 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction, cornwall
Slow, predictable easy on the brain. Interedting to reflect on the adage old sins cast long shadows. Wycliffe is altogether a more straightforward character than his more tortured brethern Serralier, Resnick, Linley et al and the tale is somewhat lessened by that
Simon
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An almost perfect holiday read. So much development of character and storytelling since the previous ones I read. Seems to me that Colin Dexter and Susan Hill (to name two) have quite a debt to pay. Things they did later - and got credit for - are worked in beautifully here.
Cece
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Not one of Burley's best. No mystery, really. This one was pure police procedural.
Ceri
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit dated & bit obvious ..... but perfectly good read.
Bev
Not one of my favorite Wycliffe novels (and I'm usually a fan). Nasty little story. I feel for the murderer...but a sordid business all the way round.
Polly
Jan 18, 2011
Burley was born in Falmouth, Cornwall. Before he began writing, he was employed in senior management with various gas companies, before giving it up after the Second World War when he obtained a scholarship to study zoology at Balliol College, Oxford. After obtaining an honours degree he became a teacher. Appointed head of biology, first at Richmond & East Sheen County Grammar School in 1953, ...more
More about W.J. Burley...

Wycliffe (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Wycliffe and the Three Toed Pussy