Start by marking “The Aviary Gate” as Want to Read:
The Aviary Gate

The Aviary Gate (The Aviary Gate #1)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  1,619 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Elizabeth Stavely sits in the Bodleian Library, her hands trembling as she holds a fragment of parchment, the key to a story untold for four hundred years ...

Constantinople 1599: the English merchant Paul Pindar must deliver an extraordinary gift to the Sultan. Grieving for his lost love, drowned in a shipwreck, he hears rumours of a new golden-haired slave in the Sultan's
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Aviary Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aviary Gate

Carey
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie Hickman's "The Aviary Gate" is a story within a story. In present day Oxford Elizabeth Staveley, a graduate student, is looking through the Bodleian Library archives in search of material for her thesis on captivity narratives. She finds a fragment of a manuscript which describes a shipwreck and the unfortunate aftermath when the ship is boarded by Turkish pirates. The captain of the ship is murdered and several of the women are taken captive by the pirates, among them the captain's daught ...more
Adrienne
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I couldn't give this book anything other than a 5 star rating, it has everything I enjoy in a great read. An historical 'romance' I've put the romance in inverted commas because it's not a typical romance with a HEA but rather a romance in the victorian sense of the word. Beautifully writen it captured my imagination right from the start. I love this time period 16th Century but not from an Elizabethan angle infact I find that period of 'English' history quite boring, no it's the Venetian and ...more
Alana
The Aviary Gate by Kate Hickman is a lush narrative that reaches back into the sultan's harem of Constantinople, 1599, to relate a bittersweet story of loyalty, love, and loss. Elizabeth is a modern day grad student at Oxford, entangled with a rake and researching captivity narratives for a bid at an MPhil. She stumbles upon some clues that suggest an Englishwoman named Celia Lamprey survived a shipwreck in the late 1500s only to be sold as a slave into the Ottoman sultan's harem. Elizabeth's qu ...more
Gerund
Mar 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Near the end of this novel, an Istanbul archivist, who is helping an English academic with her research, muses: "What is this western obsession with harems?"

Well, the popularity of novels about harems can probably be attributed to the bits which describe the, well, performance of a harem lady's raison d'etre. If that is what you are looking for, this novel certainly has a few paragraphs here and there which will please you.

But the author is best known for her non-fiction, and unsurprisingly the
Roman Clodia
At the end of this book, Hickman mentions all the research she did: but sadly while it definitely pays off in terms of atmosphere - rustling silks, perfumed gardens, glittering jewels - it does little to sustain a plot which is a standard `English girl in a harem' cliché.

Set, as so many novels currently are, in a dual time of 1599 Constantinople and present day Istanbul, this tells the story of two women entrapped: one literally in the Sultan's harem following a shipwreck, the other in a self-de
DubaiReader
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life in an Ottoman harem.

This received quite mixed reviews on Amazon UK, and I had reservations when I began reading. Fortunately I was pleasantly surprised and found it a very enjoyable read with plenty of historical interest and atmospheric descriptions.

There are two time frames used in the novel; the current day story of historical researcher, Elizabeth Staveley, is used as a tool to provide the background to the more interesting historical section. Elizabeth finds a fragment of a manuscript
Betty
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mystery, history, love stories
Mystery, History, and Love Story during the Ottoman Empire
Haunting & refreshingly different, the story begins when a small scrap of old manuscript, dating to 1599, is accidentally discovered among the texts of Elizabeth’s studies. Elizabeth feels she must learn the fate of Celia, the betrothed daughter of the ship’s captain after his ship has floundered & Celia has been captured & brought to the Sultan’s harem. So begins our student’s research, delving into the realm of the Sultans a
Cristina
I am so bloody disappointed. By the ending! I mean that poem that Celia leaves to Anetta could have been from before she went to see Paul, that night. Or indeed, it could have been from later on, after having come to the conclusion she would have never seen him ever again.

Anyway, the novel was interesting overall. I got to envisage a picture of Istanbul that I loved and it made me want to visit it for real. But the ending, good God, the ending! Why choose such an ending to a 500 pages novel? (at
Ben Kane
I heard about this novel about 3 years ago on Radio Four. Neglecting to note down the title because I was driving, I discovered it again by posting a query on an historical fiction forum I'm on. Funnily enough, I ended up reading it just after I'd read a similar tale of piracy and women carried off into captivity, The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnson. Sadly, this book wasn't in the same league as Johnson's novel.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, because I did. Hickman has clearly done her rese
Zoella
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! The start is incredibly uncomfortable to read - cue crossing legs and squirming. But once you get passed the mutilation and hardship the characters are instantly likable, even the cruel and rebellious ones. It's obvious how much research Hickman put into the novel (especially with the map and glossary), and one can not fail to appreciate this. On the other hand some writers get bogged down in their research and this can threaten to overshadow the plot and characters, but Hickman narrowly a ...more
June
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered after opening this book that I had actually read it before, perhaps with a different cover, but I decided to go ahead and read it again anyhow, and I'm glad I did. I'm not always a fan of historical novels but I enjoyed this tale of an elizabethan englishwoman in the Sultan's harem ,and the intrigues and mysteries of Palace life. It was full of lush description and a lot of historical research..(some of the characters were from real life), and was something of an adventure story too ...more
Jae
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable and richly told tale. However, as is usually the case with stories split between a modern and an historical character, the present day heroine wasn't as interesting as the, in this case, 16th century woman.

This novel is very similar to The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnson, but I agree with Ben Kane that it isn't really in the same league, nevertheless it is a very engaging story which I had a lot of pleasure reading.
Patrizia
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi-storici
Una giovane studiosa trova in biblioteca il frammento di una pergamena che la riporta alla Costantinopoli del 1559. Inizia così una narrazione a due livelli: la ricerca svolta nel mondo contemporaneo e la ricostruzione della storia di una donna dell'harem di Mehmet III. Scontro/incontro tra culture diverse, in una narrazione a mio avviso piuttosto sciatta e poco profonda
Tina Bahat
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Divna povijesna priča u kojoj se izmjenjuju prošlost i sadašnjost, ljubav i intrige, odanost i izdaje, borba za život i borba za moć...Životopisni opisi i nevjerojatni likovi, zagonetni i mistični do samoga kraja...Okrenite prvu stranicu i dopustite da vas uvuče u tajanstveni i zabranjeni svijet skriven iza vrata harema...
Sandra
This book was okay, but I was never entirely hooked and there was an early scene that I found should have been cut, but that may just be me. Other people might not mind.

The story set in 1599 was very vivid though and so I was curious to see what might happen to Celia. Especially since I read the second book in the series first.
Tova
*screams into the void of darkness* I NEED ANSWERS. LIKE NOW!
(view spoiler)
But seriously can someone explain why all the male characters named have, to begin with, the letter M?
RTC. this was way better than I was expecting. At least there are 2 more books in this series. Because I need answers! NOW!
---
Okay, I bought this because I am Ottoman Empire trash, - but why the f*** is Nurbanu mentioned in the list of characters if she'd been dea
Bonnie
Lulu
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. I started out listening to it on tape, and the reader had a beautiful accented voice for the characters. Then I had to buy the book on my Nook to see how all the names were spelled, and read along while I continued to listen to it every chance I got. The author crammed a lot of stuff into this book, some more successfully than others. Her main character, Celia, was very weakly sketched. I wish she had given us more on the voyage and shipwreck itself, on Celia's yea ...more
Carole
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins in the present time when student Elizabeth Staveley discovers a parchment in the Bodleian library that she's been looking for and which could hold the key to a mystery that's been hidden for 400 years.

In Constantinople in 1599 the Sultan's mother (the most powerful woman in the land) discovers the bodies of two people who have been poisoned in the Sultan's Palace. One is the chief of the eunuchs and the other is a young slave girl.

This is the start of an epic tale of love, murde
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book, I suspect that made the experience even more painful. There were such long narrative bits that had nothing to do with the plot and felt like the author was preaching. Celia was bland and a little too unrealistically stupid, or maybe that was realistic, but who wants to hear an adventure story from the perspective of a mewling, ignoramus who refuses to adapt? Which brings me to Elizabeth, our modern heroine.

What a boring, pathetic person who didn't convincingly change. I
K
sigh. i really wanted to like this book of two parallel love affairs - one from the 16th century and the other present day. it had all the right elements...meticulously researched, nicely written, desperate lovers, and a harem? wow...now maybe i could learn something! but it just didn't click for me. i never connected with celia, the young englishwoman sold into slavery after surviving a shipwreck, and paul, her merchantman betrothed, even less. never felt the love, esp. since they do not share ...more
Carol Fillmore
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good one and it's jam packed with details about life in a harem 1600s. This author has researched extensively. How many hours did she spend getting the details to bring this tale to life? Am not too far along yet, page 82. I will read more tonight before bed:)
Finished July 31.... story just haunting me and had to keep reading till I found out what happened to Celia Lamprey! Won't give away the ending as that would not be fair;) It had some twists at the ending that I didn't see comin
Kathy
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh that ending was horrible! I was so intrigued by the entire book then after the effort I put into reading it, the ending was so unsatisfactory. I think if she had just resolved the Celia-Paul relationship and given more time for the Elizabeth-Mehmet relationship, the ending would have been great. I think Kate Hickman tried to hard in making the ending seem "different"

UPDATE:
i have to admit, i hated it when i finished it, but then i realized that i craved for other books like it, and i still c
Elaine
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, november
The Aviary Gate is a story of two romances. One takes place in ancient Constantinople, the other takes place in present day Istanbul. Elizabeth Staveley is our modern day heroine who stumbles across part of a letter detailing the story of Celia Lamprey, a young woman who was captured and sold into slavery. The story alternates between Elizabeth's trip to Istanbul (taken to further research Celia's story), and Celia's adventures in the sultan's harem in Constantinople. Overall I found both storie ...more
Vivienne
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book even though the modern part of the story seemed rather weak and might have been improved by just having it as a vehicle for exposition rather than how it was (no spoilers!).

I also agree with other reviews that the Elizabethan part of the story felt too modern but then historical romances can often suffer from this.

Still I did enjoy it despite this and felt the descriptions were very vivid.
Sasha Strader
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
How long has it been since I've been this frustrated by a book? Quite a while, I can tell you.

Comprised of two parallel stories, a captured English woman in a harem and the graduate student researching her fate, you would really expect a lot more content than you actually get out of the book. It's a little like they've entwined the dreams of the grad student (What she imagined happened) with her own life and it gives the book a very pleasantly flowing feel.
Alayna
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My perfect kind of book for winter break, this historical fiction takes place a harem in the Ottoman Empire. Some loose ends were never resolved, particularly in the contemporary frame story. The writing style is better than the typical historical fiction but not spectacular. I mostly enjoyed this book for the interesting details on life at this time in Constantinople, especially the portrayal of behind-the-scenes power struggles among the women of the harem.
Robin
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. A betrothed woman is shipwrecked, rescued and sold into a Turkish Harem. She is ambitious in moving up in the "ranks" of the women until she discovers her would be husband may or may not be in town. All the while we are finding this out through modern day times as a research paper is underway through the finds of a possible diary or other artifact. Good stories past and present I just felt a little unsatisfied with the conclusions. Ah well.
Amanda
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The way the author switches from her modern day heroine to her 16th century heroine is actually quite seamless. It's an historical mystery of an English woman's presence and possible escape from a Sultan's harem in 16th century Constantinople. Nicely written without being overly descriptive and definitely keeps the the intrigue alive til the end.
Linda
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't used Goodreads for a long time but Laura shames me by the number of books she both reads and records ... ! Read The Aviary Gate a while ago but thoroughly enjoyed it as escapism and a good story. Very easy style to read and different subject matter. Am just reading its sequel, more of which anon ....
  • The Fourth Queen
  • The Firemaster's Mistress (Francis Quoynt #1)
  • Stealing Athena
  • The Sultan's Harem
  • Seraglio
  • The Nightingale
  • The Madonna of the Almonds
  • For the King
  • Palace Circle
  • A Secret Alchemy
  • The Abyssinian Proof (Kamil Pasha, #2)
  • The Girl from Junchow (The Russian Concubine, #2)
  • With Violets
  • The Mistress of Abha
  • The Passion of Mary Magdalen (Maeve Chronicles, #2)
  • Valeria's Last Stand
  • The Tailor's Daughter
  • The Mercy Seller (Illuminator, #2)
Katie Hickman was born into a diplomatic family in 1960 and has spent more than twenty-five years living abroad in Europe, the Far East and Latin America. She is featured in the Oxford University Press guide to women travellers, Wayward Women.
More about Katie Hickman

The Aviary Gate (3 books)
  • The Pindar Diamond (The Aviary Gate #2)
  • The House at Bishopsgate (The Aviary Gate #3)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prince of Tides
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99