Start by marking “Ion” as Want to Read:
Ion

Ion

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  414 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
One of Euripides' late plays, Ion tells the story of Kreousa, queen of Athens, and her son by the god Apollo. Apollo raped Kreousa; she secretly abandoned their child, assuming thereafter that the god had allowed him to die. Ion, however, is saved to become a ward of Apollo's temple at Delphi. In the play, Kreousa and her husband Xouthos go to Delphi to seek a remedy for t ...more
Published July 19th 1996 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published -412)

To ask other readers questions about Ion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ion

David Sarkies
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
A question of justice
24 April 2013

At first I thought I saw similarities between this and Shelley's The Cenci, but I guess the themes in this play are a little different. The idea of the powerful oppressing the powerless is a similar theme but the two plays end up diverging quite significantly. The story itself involves the queen of Athens being raped by Apollo and then giving birth to a child. She then exposes the child (namely leaving it out in the wilderness to die) due to the shame of the wh
Jean Menzies
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5
Bojana
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
(Translation I read by Paul Roche.)
Amr Hassan
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ancient-greek, drama
First, I must thank a very dear friend for lending me four plays by Euripides, and this is my review of Ion the first one I read today.

Aristotle considered Euripides to be the most tragic of the three dramatists if his plays were worked out well, but sometimes found him faulty of how he manages the subject.

In Ion Euripides's protagonists struggle with the oppression and unfairness of the predestined will of the Greek god of light and prophecy, Apollo. Creusa suffered so much in her youth and i
Andrew
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: greek-plays
Chas Bayfield
I read this because my great granddad was the boffin who wrote the introduction. It was an odd experience reading something that has lasted intact thousands of years. Stories haven't changed much over the years and it was an enjoyable, if a little fantastical ride.
Jeanne
Ion, or as I like to call it: the almost a tragedy.

Joking aside, I enjoyed reading through this. We follow a family that I have not crossed paths with before in any of the myths I’ve read and as it turns out, they’re pretty important in terms of their descendants. They just don’t have nearly enough tragedy to have more of a presence in the mythology.

One aspect I found particularly interesting is the fact that one of the characters goes as far as to call out the gods on their problematic behavio
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm just not sure how to categorize Ion correctly, because while it's known that Euripides mostly wrote heavy tragedies, this play deviates from the usual "Euripidian" formula, if that makes any sense. It's not really a comedy either- I don't really remember anything that funny, unlike in Euripides' Alcestis, which was strictly a tragicomedy. Ion is a very different play for a few reasons, but that does not diminish how much I honestly enjoy the play for what it actually is.

Essentially, the pla
Steven
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
You may meet people in every variety of fortune and condition; but happiness in human life is hard to find.
Ion follows the titular character; an orphan who was brought to and reared at the temple of Apollo at Delphi. Having been oblivious of his origin throughout his young life, simply accepting the temple's Priestess as his mother and Apollo as his spiritual father, he soon discovers the identity of his true parents through a painful process both requiring and inspiring maturation. It turns o
وائل المنعم
I read it transalted by Philip Vellacott.

This is the first play i read by Euripides, and because of it i became optimistic about his other works.

It got all the elements of an ancient Greek drama, the most remarkable one in this play is the very smart and animate dialogue. In the same time, many of the weakness points of the Greek drama are very clear in the play. for example, the logic of the dialogue which dealing with unlogic events "Apollo's plan to establish Ion on Athens", and the difficult
Alexandria Roberts
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A modern retelling of this would be so cool, since rape culture is still a prevalent issue today.
Garrett Cash
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
My Greek fatigue is strong, but I'm so close to having read all extant Greek tragedies! I must truck on!
read_gooder_more_fastly
This play felt unsatisfactory at first, but keep in mind that it is primarily driven by characterization, and that the play is quite short, so you must attend to every utterance and reaction the characters make or you will miss out.
Lauren Lyness
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my new favorites by Euripides, might overtake the Trojan Women. Incredibly rich story that was wonderful to read from start to finish. I especially love the blend of the mythology of Gods and mortals explaining the history of Greeks specifically that of early Athens.
Francisco H. González
Poco tiene esta obra de Eurípides (datada en el 413-412 a. C.) de tragedia, aunque está a un tris de convertirse en una.

Ión a punto está de cometer matricidio, matando a Creúsa, y Creúsa a su vez no comete infanticidio por los pelos, de tal modo que esta obra se desprende del manido halo trágico y fatalista para brindarnos un final feliz (sí, han leído bien, feliz), donde como en un microculebrón hay lugar para una violación -la llevada a cabo por Apolo-, un alumbramiento ocultado, una sustracc
Dmk
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
And finaly last Euripides' play for me to read...

This play although by far not hist best, clearly shows why Euripides is my favourite ancient playwright. His willingness to experiment, to add new things to tragedy. Not just to tell old, well-known stories of doom in heavily "poetic" language.
But I guess I would enjoyed it more if I haven't been told most of the plot before reading. This is one of those Euripides' pieces where the plot itself is the strongest part. But still entertaining to read
Aayla
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
I enjoyed this play quite a bit. I read Prometheus Bound prior to this, which has much less action and is based mainly around discussion, so I was expecting this to be equally without climax. However, I was pleased to find that it follows a believable plot and was fairly interesting. Quick read, and a good classic. :)
Namrirru
Aug 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, theater
Gets off to a slow start. Slightly funny when Xouthos tries to embrace Ion. But the real action doesn't begin until Kreousa tries to kill her son for a second time, which is more than halfway through the story.

Not Euripides' best play, but not bad either.
Hank Lin
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ion is beautiful. Eschewing Greek lamentation and futility, it is so beautifully full of hope, forgiveness, recognition, and acceptance. In my mind, it surpasses the power of Shakespeare's comedies.
Megan
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good drama, if a bit much on the deus ex machina
Margaret
Nov 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: plays
One of the most powerful of Euripides' plays I've read up to this point. The conclusion is incredibly thought-provoking.
Katies
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's one of the not-so-traditional greek tragedies but nevertheles very good. Sometimes described as tragicomedy which it certainly is and is great like this.
Though not so known best I've read.
Courtney
Euripides
Ten Plays by Euripides

In compilation only.
Jess Grayson
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: degree-books
A very patriotic play of Athenian supremacy, but definitely not my favourite Euripides
Adam
Nov 26, 2016 added it
As far as familial misunderstandings in ancient Greece go, this one isn't so bad.
Johnnelle Walker
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This is one of my favorite Euripidean tragedies. I actually like all the characters. I pity them at times and cheer for them at others. Great read:)
Katie
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book, though make sure you get the right copy as there are many references to Homer, which won't make sense without the annotations. My favourite Euripides by far!!
Caleb Smith
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Either they are getting easier to read, or I'm understanding Greek drama more. Great story. I read that this is fully Greek tragedy, despite the happy ending.
Monique
Play I read for Classics
  • The Acharnians
  • The Libation Bearers (Ορέστεια, #2)
  • Greek Lyric Poetry
  • Women of Trachis
  • Six Tragedies
  • Idylls
  • On Great Writing (On the Sublime)
  • Roman Lives: A Selection of Eight Lives (Aemilius Paulus, Tiberius Gracchus and Gaius Grachus, Marius, Sulla, Pompey, Caesar, Marc Anthony)
  • Cligès
  • All for Love
  • Collected Ancient Greek Novels
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
More about Euripides...

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99