Start by marking “Little Manfred” as Want to Read:
Little Manfred

Little Manfred

The heart-lifting, heartbreaking new story by Michael Morpurgo, the nation's favourite storyteller. In the Imperial War Museum is a wooden Dachshund, carved by a German prisoner of war for the children of the British family with which he stayed after the fighting ended. This is the story of how it got there! When the Bismarck sinks, one of the only German survivors is take ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Jules
I really enjoyed this. Little Manfred is a touching tale of friendship, war and a wooden toy dog.
Michael
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review from Badelynge.
In the Imperial War Museum there is a wooden Dachshund. It was carved by a German prisoner of war in the 1940s. This is its story. Well almost. It's a story that captures the spirit of the true story though.
In the summer of 1966, just after England's famous footballing victory against the Germans in the World Cup Final, a young girl, her brother and their dog encounter two men on the beach. One has a story to tell about the girl's mother from when she also was a little girl
Mark
Another book by Morpurgo covering yet another view of the second world war. This time its german prisoners of war working for and then befriending a farmer and his family. The prisoners built a little wooden toy dog for the young girl who named it after one of them. Then in 1966 one of these germans return with british sailor who had saved his life when he was originally captured and then had conveniently run into each other 6 years later on a train station as the german was being repatriated am ...more
Olivia
I love this author's books...he takes the simple details and creates fascinating characters, intriguing war stories, and ones that really stick in your mind. This sweet story had an amazing illustration and it's the perfect book for young readers bringing history through fiction.
Charlotte Martin
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books, it has a special place in my heart. I have read this book three times now and I am addicted.

Lets make it 4 or 5 times now!!!!!
Lisa Fransson
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this to my son, Manfred. He found it quite frightening with all those sailors drowning. And I found the fact that the entire story is a flashback quite boring to read. I think it was also quite difficult, for my Manfred to understand. He kept asking who was talking and where are they and what happened. But we got through it and the ending with the little wooden dog ending up in the imperial war museum was nice.
Bryony Wells
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
Heart warming book that offers children the opportunity the common held concept of ally vs enemy in war time, with the relatable figure of the toy and the real little dogs. Beautiful illustrations too. This book at times brought a tear to my eye.
Michelle Lechowicz
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this book so much ❤❤❤
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh.
Karen
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The only fly in the ointment for me was that it wasn't quite accurate in a historical sense but it was in all a very good story, however unbelievable.
Cruth
Author: Michael Morpurgo
Illustrator: Michael Foreman
First Published: 2011
Includes: Afterword covering the Bismark particularly the last battle, German POWs in the UK, and The World Cup, 1966.

Michael Morpurgo weaves a story through of friendship amidst trial, taking us on a journey through England (and Germany's) near history. Told in five parts he shows us the people who make us who we are.

Part 1: Today - 1966. The World Cup Final is played with the final between England and Germany.

Part 2: The
Lukas
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Little Manfred is an interesting book that is written in the point of view of a girl, Charley. It is written by a great author, Michael Morpurgo. This author has also written many other interesting books such as the world famous War Horse. Some of the main characters are: Charley (Who tells this story), Walter (A war soldier), Manfred (A war soldier, friends with Walter), Alex (Charley’s “annoying” brother), Little Manfred (The dog, also known as Mannie).
This book is mainly about a girl and her
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

I adore Morpurgo’s work; I have a number of his titles at home waiting to be read. When I received Little Manfred through the post I just had to read it.

The story is set in 1966 just after England won the World Cup. Charley and Alex are playing with their collie “Mannie” on the beach and playing football. Alex kicks the ball too far and two older gentlemen kick it back. They start talking and they find out that the two gentlemen are
Anne Hamilton
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Morpurgo inverts his trademark framing device in this children's story. It actually makes the transitioning better, in my view. Instead of an adult reflecting on the events of childhood, the plot unfolds through the eyes of Charley, a twelve-year old girl, who lives on a farm near the seaside.

As in The Elephant in the Garden, it is a coincidence of name that draws two entirely different pairs of people together. Charley is followed to the beach by her young brother Alex and their dog, Little Man
Lars
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Charley lives on a farm in Suffolk, England. She always escapes to the beach withe her dog called Manfred. Charley's family has a wooden dog that belonged to her mother and was passed down, but when her dad accidentally stepped on the toy and broke one of the wheels, which her mom got really upset about and no one knew why until one day Charley and her brother meet 2 older people on the beach. This encounter leads to the long history of the little toy called Manfred. One of the men was named Wal ...more
The Styling Librarian
Little Manfred by Michael Morpurgo, illustrated by Michael Foreman – Historical Fiction, 3rd grade and up– not for the sensitive ones though, many war scenes throughout. I can thank my beautiful friend Tanja for bringing this book to me as a gift recently…many friends are a little wary of purchasing a book for me because they never know if I’ve read it before… so I was excited, as was she, at a book I hadn’t read by Michael Morpurgo. Did you know there is a Michael Morpurgo month celebration in ...more
Hwee Goh
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
"For them it was a war they just wanted to forget. For us it was still a war we needed to understand." Thus two men on opposite sides of World War Two go back to "lay the ghost" on their past in this beautiful, heartwarming story. Morpurgo uses real events such as the World Cup final between England and Germany of 1966, and a wooden wheeled horse on display at the Imperial War Museum to spin this story. Also in the mid-1940s, large numbers of German prisoners of war lived in England before they ...more
Hope
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Little Manfred is a short children’s book about a German P.O.W. who is interned in England and who stays for a few years after the war to work on a farm. (This was not a choice, but a part of his punishment before being repatriated.) Many years later he returns to England to try to bring closure to his experience.

To avoid spoilers, I will only say that Morpurgo has written a gem of a book, conveying the conflicting feelings of men in war (but in manner that’s not too overwhelming for children).
Emmy
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. i LOVED how we get to see what happened to the germans in WW2 and even though it is a cliche michel morpurgo read I think it was original. I also enjoyed the way little manfred is an actual thing in the Imperial war museum. I had one problem with it though. I didn't like the main character. The narrator was a child but I think she never had a personality or she was a bit receptive but she is a child and I have to give her some slack.
Overall I rate this book 3.75 if I am
Tanja
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Michael Morpurgo never disappoints me. This is one of his shorter stories , accompanied by Michael Foreman's beautiful illustrations. A brother and sister discover the story behind a wooden toy dog which belonged to their mother. As in many of his books, I appreciate the author's note explaining the background to the story. This book has an additional note by Michael Foreman, relating to the 1966 World Cup finale between England and West Germany.
Thebruce1314
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-gots
Like all of Morpurgo's books, this one contains animals, children and life lessons. I debated giving it five stars - it is a lovely story, with beautiful illustrations, but it annoys me a little that it isn't quite the true story of the little dog that now lives in the Imperial War Museum. Something like it...he was built by a German POW, and most kids probably wouldn't care to know the real story.
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: public-library
This book was okay. I liked the way it showed how pointless wars are and all the pain they cause, and it was all laid out clearly for children. Not exactly my type of book anymore, for me it didn't move me enough or make me feel enough. It was just very slow and there wasn't terribly much to it. I liked the fact that it was historical but written in a fictional way.
Karen
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My nine year old daughter and I read this together and I really enjoyed the book and the opportunity to spend time with her and be able to explain several of the concepts in the book to her in more detail.
This book is a lovely story about how friendships can come from the most unlikely places and transcend the rules of war.
Highly recommended.
Frankly
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was lovely and emotional because an old man finally saw Grace even though he didn't meet her four over 20 years. People who are reading my review I suggest that you go buy the book to read or read it if you have already purchased it because it is a lovely book and you could cry.
Jenni
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british-author, mg
Lovely story based on the true story of a toy dog made by German prisoners of war that is now in the Imperial War Museum. The kind of book I could imagine reading to a group of children and them all being completely gripped by it.
Matthew
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Little Manfred boasts an enjoyable story about World War 2, as well as a fascinating lesson about friendships. Morpurgo always delivers thought-provoking punches paired with lovely illustrations, by Michael Foreman, a man Morpurgo always uses for illustrations, and rightly so too!
Vanessab
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Michael Morpurgo is able to write apparently simple books which are actually many layered. This has stayed with me and I have been thinking about the issues raised. I think he is very good at dealing with terrible loss and the importance of relationships.
Opticalillusion
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Michael Morpurgo knits both reality with fiction throughout many of his books and this one is no exception. His books are wonderful reads whether you are a child or someone who refuses to grow up yet.
Discoverylover
I'm a huge fan of Morpurgo's and when I saw this new for $5 I snapped it up! One of the things I really love about Morpurgo is that while he mainly concentrates on English history, he doesn't exclude other participants in that history - this story for example centers on 2 German prisoners of war.
Lorna Gilder
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story based in the Second World War where two German prisoners of war go to live and work on a British farm after the war ends. There is a wooden dog carved by one of the men in the Imperial War Museum and this is the story of how it got there.
  • Cloud Busting
  • The Somme Stations
  • Precious and the Zebra Necklace (Precious Ramotswe's Very First Cases #4)
  • The Worry Tree
  • Hero on a Bicycle
  • Vroom with a View: In Search of Italy's Dolce Vita on a '61 Vespa
  • The Manny Files
  • Race to the End of the World (The Mapmaker Chronicles, #1)
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Sign of the Raven
  • A Pack of Lies
  • Doctor Who and the Cybermen
  • All My Noble Dreams and Then What Happens (Rosalind of the Raj, #2)
  • My Friend the Enemy
  • Tashi and the Giants (Tashi, #2)
  • The Bugalugs Bum Thief
  • Soldier Dog
  • The Children of the King
Sir Michael Andrew Morpurgo, OBE, FRSL is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, ...more