Start by marking “Bear Stays Up for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Bear Stays Up for Christmas (Bear)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  7,267 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

Bear's friends are determined to keep Bear awake for Christmas! So they wake Bear up and have him help them find a Christmas tree, bake cakes, hang up stockings, and sing Christmas songs. Bear stays up -- by discovering that giving is one of the best Christmas presents!

How a SURPR
Published October 4th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Stays Up for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Archit Ojha
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Never ask a bear to stay up for Christmas! That too in winter! Why?

Because no matter what he'll stay up.
Janie Johnson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, aeverie2016
This is the second book for February that I read with my grandson Aeverie. Even though this was meant for Christmas we still enjoyed it a lot. This one is written in verse and the title is pretty self explanatory. The illustrations are done beautifully as well. A great read for the little ones at Christmas time.
Candice
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone knows that bears sleep through the winter, but Bear's friends do not want him to miss Christmas, so Bear does his best to stay up.

"He stands with a stretch
and a great big sigh.
'I hope I can make it.
I do want to try.'
'Don't worry,' squeaks Mouse.
Hare says, 'It's all right.
We'll keep you busy
all day and all night.'"

And keep him busy they do, with many of the traditional Christmas activities - getting and decorating a tree, baking, singing Christmas carols. This is a wonderful book to read
Christine
I'm not sure why exactly, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed this Christmas Bear story. It was in pretty regular rotation this past Christmas season. It is only our second Bear book and now I want to read all the others :)
Heidi-Marie
Present from A&N family. We read it at bedtime. I have read other Wilson bear books and liked them. This one was very cute. The whole family enjoyed.
Will Boncher
Spoiler: he goes to bed at the end.
Tamara Lane
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I especially love the illustrations in this book.
Joanna Marple
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some authors just have it – that ability to write stories in rhyme for young children that simply dance off the page and spill off the tongue with a tempo and fluidity that make them so easy to read aloud and so captivating for a child to listen to. Karma Wilson is one such author.

The scene is set – will Bear hibernate through yet another Christmas day, or will his faithful band of animal friends manage to keep him awake? Having read quite a few now in the Bear series, I, like all children, can’
Heather
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Our girls really like this one. Once again, Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman have come through with a fun story about Bear and his friends.

With a rhyming narrative, this story with a Christmas theme is fun to read aloud. And the pictures are charming - we love Bear's expressions. We really enjoy reading this book together and we've read it many times.

December 2015 update: We borrowed this book again from our local library to read with our two-year-old niece during her visit with my brother-in-law
Andrea Hussey
Shakita
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends, christmas
This book was fun to read. All the animals convinced the bear to stay up for Christmas this year and it shows all the activities they did. You could ask the children why do they think bear slept through Christmas every year and introduce them to the word "hibernation." This book shows that the value of friendship and also shows you that when you treat others well, you will be trated well too. Bear made all his friends gifts while they were sleeping and didn't even notice Santa bringing him a gif ...more
Heidi
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We love these! Every kids book should have such a catchy rhyme pattern.

1/11/10: And today we just read the new one: Bear Feels Scared. Also great! (Others in the series: Bear Snores On, Bear's New Friend, Bear Feels Sick...)
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Bear is hibernating for the winter but his friends wake him for Christmas. Will Bear be able to stay up? With the help of his friends---maybe.

Cute illustrations. I love how the friends come together to do something special for a friend.
Barbara
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Sweet sweet story. Lovely illustrations!
haley
My brother and I loved this story as kids, as well as Bear Snores On. So adorable. Highly recommend.
Hanna
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aivan ihana tarina ja upeat kuvat!
Baby Bookworm
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Well, it’s the penultimate book in the holiday countdown, and we’ve picked a great one for Christmas Eve: Bear Stays Up For Christmas, written by Karma Wilson and illustrated by Jane Chapman. This sweet story follows Wilson and Chapman’s popular Bear and his friends as they prepare for Christmas Day.

Bear’s friends have made decision: this year, they are going to wake their frien
Jade
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A super sweet Christmas entry in Karma Wilson's "Bear Books". To keep their typically hibernating pal awake for the holidays, Bear's woodland animal friends enlist him in preparations and merry-making. But when Bear stays up after all the others have fallen asleep, he is able to make his own gifts, as well as cross paths with a special someone! The best part of these books is the sweet and balanced friendship shared by the animals, and in this story I was particularly pleased to note that the an ...more
Diana Thomsen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, storytime
I'm one of those storytellers that does Christmas themed stories all December. Nobody ever complains (although I do give fair warning before I start, just in case), so I keep doing it. Christmas Bear themed storytimes are a favorite, and this is a great addition. I totally <3 the Bear books, and this one may be my favorite. And I think both kids AND adults can identify with the sleeping/not-sleeping thing!
Taylor Parker
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Fiction
Grade: k-3

Bear Stays up for Christmas is such a fun read! I loved the bear's expressions and all the rhyming word patterns. The friendship between all the animal is so special, especially when bear stays up all night to make gifts for his friends. I would highly recommend this book for a read out loud or a bedtime story!
Lara Lamb
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winter-holidays
It's almost Christmas and Bear's friends are trying to keep him awake for Christmas morning. So they wake up Bear and have him help them find a tree, decorate and bake delicious snacks for the holiday. This story is a great book for the holidays but should also be used to explain to children that the reason Bear was so sleepy was because he was hibernating for winter.
Zahrah Al-Merei
A very sweet story about a bear trying to stay up for Christmas with all his woodlands friends. A nice story to read to children around this time of year, and could perhaps be linked to a lesson on hibernation or habitats.
Maureen
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I loved this one. the pictures are lovely. It rhymes, so good for new readers.
Joy Cronje
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The princess wanted to give this one six stars because “it’s so cute!” - had to help her read some of the stranger words like “gopher”.
Darinda
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Bear's friends don't want him to sleep through Christmas. They wake him up the day before Christmas and help him prepare for the big day.

A cute story about friendship and Christmas.
Liberty K
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warmed my heart. Merry Christmas eveeeeryone!
Christie At The Library
Works great for a christmas themed storytime! The kids really loved it!
Katie Walters
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really fun Christmas story! Students will love this and the moral of giving and friendship does not get any better. I will share this story with my future students.
Elena Maddox
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Christmas. Good for pre-K or outreach.
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Dream Snow
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson

Bear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bear Snores On