Start by marking “Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc., #7)” as Want to Read:
Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc., #7)

Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc. #7)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  3,599 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
The final "powerfully intense" (Romantic Times) Black Ops, Inc. novel from New York Times bestseller Cindy Gerard, featuring a covert private security team and electrifying romantic suspense.

Black Ops, Inc. operative Joe Green is determined to bring to justice the man responsible for former team member Bryan Tompkins's death. He's convinced the ambush that killed Bryan was
Published January 31st 2012 by Pocket Star (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Last Man Standing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Man Standing

Auntee
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Recommended to Auntee by: Shawna
This is the 7th and final book of what turned out to be one of the most consistently excellent RS series I think I've ever read. Not a bad book in the whole Black Ops series (and yes, you must read in order and you'd be wise to read at least the last book in the Bodyguards series first --Into the Dark--or you're going to be lost...). Anyhow, Cindy Gerard fills each story with just the right blend of adventure to exotic, dangerous locales, fingernail biting suspense, ruthless bad guys, snatched-f ...more
Buggy
Opening Line: "Joe Green was as good as dead."

How freakin good was this? It was like I’d been on a diet and then with great anticipation sat down and ate the most satisfying, delicious, fulfilling meal I’d had in ages. Of course this meal also came with remorse because now it’s over and back to my diet of mediocre romantic suspense again. Not much in this genre comes close Cindy Gerard’s BOI’s for me, I have loved each and every book in the series and to then finish with Joe’s story… well he def
Jonetta
BOI operative Joe Green and NSA cryptologist Stephanie Tompkins have been in a committed relationship now for two years. However, for some time, Joe has been distancing himself from not only her but his BOI teammates. Now he’s disappeared into Sierra Leone, searching for evidence to confirm the identity of the person he believes responsible for the ambush on the Task Force Mercy team 15-years ago. Stephanie’s brother, Bryan, was killed in that skirmish so Joe has added incentive to avenge his de ...more
Robin
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
After years of believing that his teammate's death was a set-up, Joe Green has finally discovered who was behind it. Not wanting to drag his lover, Stephanie Tompkins, into danger, Joe heads to Sierra Leone to find evidence of the crime. But his hunt is cut short when he is thrown into prison for murder. Stephanie couldn't believe it when Joe told her he didn't love her. She knew he was lying, but didn't know why. When she discovers that Joe has been lingering in prison for weeks, she knows she ...more
Wendy
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I'm going to miss these BOI, men who have grown on me throughout the series.

That being said it was a great ending to a fantastic series. It was not as action packed as the rest of the other books, but there was romance. "Mean Joe" Green and Stephanie, who I thought kicked some "major butt", are a great couple.

The only bad thing I could say about this book, is that I would have liked to have seen more of Primetime Mike. All in all, I enjoyed it. Great Epilogue too.
Dee
I LOVED IT.

I was a bit apprehensive reading about Joe as we hadn't really been given too much information about him over the series and I wondered if I was gonna like him. I have said in the previous comments that the impression I had of Joe was that he resembled the incredible hulk only not green :)I don't think that impression has changed much....maybe not quite so big ;)

It turned out that I loved Joe - his nickname was 'Mean Joe Green' but there was nothing mean about him at all - he was a ge
Riverina Romantics
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Above is exactly what I was like for the vast majority of this book - biting my fingernails, while rocking in the fetal position. Yes another suspense filled story of awesomeness from Cindy Gerard.

I'm really sad to see this series end. I'm not sure how Cindy would have held her emotions together while typing 'The End' on this one. The whole series has been truly fantastic. I found another author to stalk and fell in love with a large group of imaginary people - men and women.

Cindy has
Saly
What an end to the BOI series, I loved it. I loved Joe even his twisted sense of keeping Steph protected by leaving her & most of all I love Stephanie, she really became stronger and kick-ass over the course of the book.

I liked how she decided that she would no longer let things progress at Joe's time-table and instead demand that he open up to her. She not only saves him from prison instead she is resourceful enough to keep them hidden and get them out and then out the man who had a hand in
Glamdring
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
*3,5 stars*

This is the book I liked the least in the series.
I loved the plot and how it brings us back to the very beginning of the BOI creation, as well as Stephanie who was a great heroine, but I couldn't really connect with Joe.

Also, the plot of the book started in With No Remorse and I didn't understand why there is a year gap in between.

Here again, the BOI guys were nothing but awesome and I can't wait to read Mike "Primetime" Brown's book. *le sigh*
Elizabeth (Liz)
Received an ARC from the author.

As the final book in the series, this is a must-read! Also, this *is* an ARC, so I'm sure at least minor changes are coming to the finished product. But, either way, this has been a wonderful series, and this final book comes full circle and gives everyone closure.

For me, I really enjoyed the epilogue more than anything else. That was the only time all of the BOI group was together in this final book. The story itself was good, though it felt just a tiny bit...ru
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

4.5 STARS

LAST MAN STANDING is the last book in Cindy Gerard’s BOI series. While it’s been an amazing run with this series, I’m still sad to see it end. I devoured these books one after the other, reading a book per night. Once you pick these babies up, you simply can’t stop.

LAST MAN STANDING is no exception. “Mean” Joe Green and Stephanie Tompkins have been characters we’ve seen throughout this series. Their relationship started in FEEL THE HEAT but now in their own boo
Sunny
*Sigh* Emotional, Adventurous, Perfection

Stephanie Tompkins
Joe Green

Last Man Standing is like great coffee and an amazing dessert after the six course meal - six course that includes: Jenna/Gabe, Sam/Abby, Crystal/Johnny, BJ/Raphael, Wyatt/Sophie, and Luke/Valentina.

Last Man Standing is the finale in the Black Ops, Inc. series and Cindy Gerard finishes it perfectly. It is the story of Joe Green and Stephanie Tompkins. Their relationship is introduced in Feel the Heat, Book 4. In retrospect, the
Anita
This is one of those books where prior knowledge of the main characters is not a good thing. Joe and Stephanie have been supporting characters throughout the series and you get to know them, but only on a superficial level. Their attraction caught fire in "Feel the Heat" but we never got "their" story. Well, here it is and I'm very disappointed that this is the best Cindy Gerard could do for these two wonderful characters. The character development was lacking, but I will say, the action was off ...more
 ~V~
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

**4 1/2 stars**

Another exciting addition to the Black Ops series!! Each and every book starts with the action and suspense from the get go and has you on the edge of your seat until the very last page..throw in some really great romance, some great comedic bantering between the guys and top notch storytelling and you have the making of a fabulous book!!

Last Man Standing was a fantastic ending to a fantastic series!! The storyline, and what was happening to Joe, was scarey and intense and the rom
Cheri
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So at last I have come to the end of this fantastic series. CG did wrap everything up very nicely and all my questions were answered. This has become one of my favorite series by far. My only question is" Where can I find that sexy gorgeous guy on this cover"? Joe Green where are youuuuuuu????? :)
Keri
Joe has lived with Bryan's death for way to long and the time was at hand to finally bring the man responsible for his death to justice. Only one problem, Joe feels he has to cut all ties from the ones that he cares about and that includes Stephanie. At least it seemed a good idea at the time. So he heads out to Freetown to mete out justice. Now six weeks into his Sierra Leone incarceration after being accused of murder, maybe he might have been a bit too hasty. Right now though it is her love t ...more
Anne OK
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Super conclusion to the BOIs series. Couldn't ask for a better suspense-filled book starring characters I've grown to adore. As others have mentioned, I wish we could have seen more of the "brothers" and their significant others. Hate to see this exceptional series end but I'm already excited and eager for the arrival of "Primetime's" story in Gerard's new "One-Eyed Jacks" series.
Shawna
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gerard's BOI series fans
4 -5 stars – Romantic Suspense

Cindy Gerard's "last" BOI got a smokin' hot, studtastic cover hunk! Hubba-hubba!
Jess
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: 4.5/5

In the last book in the Black Ops, Inc. series, Joe takes center stage, in a big way. He pulls away from his teammates, the woman he loves, from anyone who means anything to him as he tracks down the killer of his former teammate and Stephanie’s brother. He knows he’s looking into something that could and probably would ultimately end him, but the guilt of Bryan’s death eats at him and he wants justice for his close friend and man he tho
Jennifer Lane
Save the Best for Last

Is the Black Ops, Inc. series really over? *cries*

Thank you to Buggy for recommending romantic suspense author Cindy Gerard. Though this series is over, I have more of her wonderful books still left to savor.

In Last Man Standing, we finally get some resolution to fallen brother Bryan Tompkins' story. Back when the BOI men were involved in the US military and government, Bryan died on an op gone wrong. And "Mean" Joe Greene has never forgotten his brother in arms.

Joe protec
Pat
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I found Last Man Standing, by Cindy Gerard, at my local grocery store on Jan. 28th!! I had pre-ordered it, and quickly canceled the order and started reading. This story was a perfect ending to the adventures of BOI. Joe and Stephanie's story. He has always, to me, taken Bryan's death the hardest. Never letting it go. Stephanie, Bryan's sister, has been in love with Joe, it seems like forever. I am trying very hard to not give spoilers, so bear with me. The story travels fr ...more
Gina
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
This is the final book in this series and I am so sad it's over, but I truly loved this book!

This is Mean Joe Green and Stephanie story, their relationship started a few books ago. Joe found out some information about the circumstances surrounding her brother Bryan's death and goes all rouge on everyone (including Stephanie) and decides to find out all by himself to nail the bad guy. So he ends his relationship with Stephanie (broke my heart the ass) and goes it alone..

Well he ends up in jail in
Kathrynn
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
Excellent continuation to this series! Enjoyed reading as Stephanie did what she had to do to solve a problem. Joe was hard to read, at first. He did things he "thought" were right, but were wrong, wrong, wrong. He needed to learn to lean on someone...

Started in the U.S., then the bulk of the book was st in Sierra Leone, Africa. A lot of action and covert operations, then back to the states and a few plane rides here and there....

ALMOST non-stop action.

Really enjoyed Mike Brown's humor! "That's
Kathy Davie
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, action, suspense
Seventh and last in the Black Ops, Inc. romantic suspense series. The couple focus is on Mean Joe Green and Stephanie Tompkins.

My Take
With the new characters who have been joining BOI, and Gerard bringing them all back to be based in the States, I had hoped that Gerard was planning to continue the series. Now, I'll have to hope that she's planning a spin-off. I don't wanna lose them!

I've so enjoyed the contrasts of these men who are tough and hard when necessary and soft and gentle when it's not
Katherine 黄爱芬
Joe Green bernasib nahas dipenjara di Sierra Leone. Kali ini Stephanie Tompkins, sang pacar hrs membebaskan kekasihnya seorang diri, dan melepaskan dari semua jebakan yg menghadangnya.

Sbg novel penutup seri BOI, novel ini lumayan memikat. Namun sayangnya tidak ada hal spesial dibandingkan novel-novel sebelumnya. Penjahatnya juga terlalu mudah matinya, sama spt penjahat-penjahat di novel sblmnya.
Issa
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: totally-amazing
I picked this up by mistake thinking it was something else. Swore for a minute and decided to read it so I could get it off my bookshelf. It will never leave my bookshelf, I loved this so much I can't stand it.

Operative Joe Green breaks up with Stephanie Tompkins, his on again/off again other half, before going on a personal mission to Sierra Leone to find the killer of his friend and Stephanie's brother Brian. The Op goes bad, and alone Joe is arrested and imprisoned in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
Duchess Nicole
I loved this final book to the BOI series. Bryan's death is avenged, and his sister Stephanie and the last remaining single BOI member finally get their moment. It gets pretty intense, and sweet Stephanie gets to man up and be tough. Joe has always been the strong, silent type, and he's really no different here. We have watched their romance blossom very slowly since Gabe and Jenna's book when they first meet. And now they get to decide whether they are meant to be together.

This is a typical Ci
Hbeebti
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cindy-gerard
Ok lets try this again, since it didn't save the first time. I loved it. I am sad that series is over. Maybe CG will do a spin off because I really want Prime Time Mike to have his own book. This book was a little different from the other because none of the guys were there to help Joe. There were brief moments with Rafe and that was about it until the Epi. Now the ending I adored. Everyone was back together and had a lot of celebrating to do. New additions to the family and announcements . Lots ...more
Maloup
4.5 stars! Perfect ending to an amazing, heartbreaking, breathtaking, action packed, and super sexy series! Absolutely loved the epilogue! Johnny and Crystal will forever be my favorite couple in this series, but the growth of Stephanie's character and how she breaks through Mean Joe Green's walls was perfect! I particularly liked that this story was a lot more focused on the emotional and psychological growth of the characters versus getting them out trouble time after time. The action was just ...more
AJ Swen
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4.5-5 stars...
Absolutely loved this book! I love how Stephanie developed into such a strong character, and how their (she and Joe's) roles reversed. The ONLY reason why I didn't give it a full 5 stars is because the 'bad guy' was obvious..but it was still very suspenseful, very emotional, and a very good book. I was a mess at the end! Such bittersweetness knowing that it's the end of the series. BUT..like always, she did a fabulous job wrapping things up. Loved, loved the ending..I was a mess;)
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 4 3 Nov 26, 2017 08:23PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 7 3 Nov 26, 2017 08:19PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 5 3 Nov 26, 2017 08:14PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 4 3 Nov 26, 2017 08:06PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 4 3 Nov 26, 2017 08:01PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 4 4 Nov 26, 2017 07:55PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 4 4 Nov 26, 2017 07:54PM
  • Sweet Justice (Last Chance Rescue, #7)
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • Face of Danger (The Guardian Angelinos, #3)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • SEAL of My Dreams
  • Deadly Promises (B.A.D. Agency, #4.5; Black Ops, Inc., #5.5; Tracers, #2.5)
  • Dangerous Desires (A-Tac, #2)
195778
The only thing Cindy had in mind when she started writing her first book was finishing it. The issue of actually selling it came much later. Only after she made that life-altering first sale did she realize that one book would never be enough. Now, over 20 books and numerous awards later, Cindy laughingly admits that she can barely remember life before...well, was there life before writing?

Actuall
More about Cindy Gerard...

Black Ops Inc. (8 books)
  • Show No Mercy (Black Ops Inc., #1)
  • Take No Prisoners (Black Ops Inc., #2)
  • Whisper No Lies (Black Ops Inc., #3)
  • Love Is Murder (Bullet Catcher, #8.75; Mercy Street, #3.5; Lucy Kincaid, #4.5; Cold Ridge/U. S. Marshals, #6.5; Forensic Instincts, #1.5, Mike Dietz, #1.75; Jackie Mercer, #1.5; Black Ops Inc., #3.5)
  • Feel the Heat (Black Ops Inc., #4)
  • Risk No Secrets (Black Ops Inc., #5)
  • With No Remorse (Black Ops Inc., #6)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Love
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)