Start by marking “Ladyhawke” as Want to Read:
Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Captain Etienne Navarre is a man on whose shoulders lie a cruel curse. Punished for loving each other, Navarre must become a wolf by night whilst his lover, Lady Isabeau, takes the form of a hawk by day. Together, with the thief Philippe Gaston, they must try to overthrow the corrupt Bishop and in doing so break the spell.
Published April 4th 1985 by Pan (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Ladyhawke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladyhawke

Start your review of Ladyhawke
Melissa
A fun little read for lovers of the film. The author adds a bit here and there, alters things in other places. Isabeau is decidedly more helpless and waifish here than she is on screen. Navarre more gruff. Phillipe is Phillipe. The actors do actually give much better performances of these characters and lines than they are depicted in this novelization. How does this work I wonder? Does the author get a script and just work from there? Do they just write from watching the film? If so, Vinge ...more
Lara
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Bought this because I loved the movie as a teenager. Surprisingly, there is not much more depth to the book - there is little additional detail about how the characters are feeling; the dialogue and script are an almost word perfect match; and virtually the entire book was included in the movie.

I enjoyed this book because of it's association with the movie. But without that, it falls into the category of a light romance that dabbles at being a fantasy novel in a historical setting. This one
Marquise
3.5 stars rounded up. The film is a 5 star watch for me, but the novelisation went the way of most novelisations of films I liked: it's all better on screen.
Lynsey A
Daelith
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite movies so of course I had to have the book as well.
Robbie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-stories
Since I saw the film a long time ago, I felt in love with the story.
The story of the book is wonderful but it could be more detailed. It's exactly the same as the film.

Ben Goodridge
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't say I'm too fond of the graphics for this novelization of Richard Donner's 1985 cult classic film "Ladyhawke." Check out some of the movie posters and you'll see these soaring fantasy paintings; the cover of this one just has Matthew Broderick looking a little downcast while a two-handed broadsword quivers in a tree next to his head.

Still, the book hews pretty close to the film. You may prefer this if you want the narrative without the Alan Parsons Project. Alternatively, if you miss the
Ellen
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good!
Petra Be
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure, legend
One of my favourite films... quite a decent read for the fans.
Kevin Ranville
Well, I finished my second book of the week. "Ladyhawke", by Joan D. Vinge. Yeah, it's the novelization of that classic 80s adventure movie about a man and woman who are cursed by an evil bishop. He's a wolf by night. She's a hawk by day, so they can never be together as man and woman. Awesome movie.

You know how when there's a book based on a movie, or vice versa, and people always say "The book was better!"? Well, this one wasn't. I didn't care for it much.

I went to a movie once, and I sat
Anna
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the film, loved the book.
Nadielle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Regularly, every book with movie adaptation use to be much better than the movie because in the book there is the opportunity to see the whole storyline and the character personality doesnt have the addict vision of the screenwriter and director, but, this time I have to admit, the movie is better. There are some points in the book that let a lot to be desired as the character construction; now I opened a parenthesis for the brilliant Michelle Pfeiffer acting and the director team that showed a ...more
Diana
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Philippe, you thief you :)).
Gettinf this boom to me was an adventure (Amazon, vintage bookstores, missed delivery dates) but I remeberee the 1985 movie and how much I loved it and I had to find the book.
The book is pretty basic, I'm glad to report the movie got it right, but that ending was funny and unexpected.
Lise Pomerleau
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Can't say I read it, but just discovered that Joan D. Vinge wrote this book, which is one of my favourite films! Loved all the actors. Matthew Broderick was adorable then. And Michelle Pheiffer, so beautiful.
Just adored it and have watched it many, many times!
Aricia Gavriel
Am so lucky to own the original paperback edition of this one! I always loved the movie, and the book does a very decent job of transferring it to paper. Obviously, one still prefers the movie (duh!), but the book is a pleasant read. I've owned this since the mid-1980s and wouldn't part with it.
Lisa of LaCreeperie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun novelization, not much more to add.
Ariel Wirkus
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful romance with spells, knights, thief's and a touch of religion. If you love the movie then you will love the book.
Rosalyn
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Favorite movie - thought I'd read the novel just to see if there are any differences - there are! Minor differences, but they're noticeable if you've seen the movie many times, like I have.
Marsha
Brimming with adventure, humor and passion, this novel (like the movie it inspired) has reached its 30th-year mark with little sign of wear. It is an absorbing read for either sex, what with its easy shifts from comedy to action to romance and maintains a contemporary feel in spite of its medieval settings. The central plot retains its fantastic mystery until its solved by the character of Imperius, a monk who manages to project the slightly vulgar sensibilities of a Chaucerian creation and the ...more
Wild-Rogue-Rose
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*rolls around* FINALLY!
After my painfully slooooow reading, I have finished. (Seriously, molasses in a snow storm is faster than me.)

This was presented to my as a Christmas gift from a dearly loved friend.

Just wow! It's added so much more to the film I have loved since childhood. More insight to the surrounds of the characters - more depth and breath.
So many times I sat reading, asking aloud to no one, "Why wasn't that in the film?!" Or laughing a kind of laughter that is frowned upon.
I could
Conan Tigard
The characters are not very deeply written, as in most movie tie-ins. But LadyHawke is interesting and a decent read. The story mostly revolves around Phillipe and his discovery of curse put upon Navarre and Isabeau, and his relationship with both parties.

Personally, I thought the book was an okay read, but I would have liked to have seen the author delve more into the personalities and history of the characters. I would also like to know where the Bishop got his powers.

So, if you saw the
Ann Morris
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had seen the movie many times and always wanted to read the book. I love this magical, surreal story. It's when I started loving black wolves! When I read the book, I knew the dialogue was nearly word-for-word from the movie. The book was copyright protected in 1985 by Warner Brothers. I wonder if a book had been written that was made into the movie before it was published?

I was hoping for more background. There were some small differences, but the story was basically unchanged. I still loved
Ilze
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Louise Miller gave me her copy
I've always loved this story of a woman who is a hawk by day and a man that becomes a wolf by night due to a spell someone puts on their relationship. Somehow you can interpret it as the truth of any marriage relationship! We can love each other to death and really yearn for each other. But, by night, when you want to reach out to each other, you can't because he's growling so much. And during the day, she flies off after the things that need doing.

Fortunately for this fairy tale book, all ends
Jamie
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved the movie Ladyhawke (yes, even the soundtrack) and so when I found the novelization in the used bookstore, I snatched it up. It goes nicely next to my novelizations of Willow and Dragonslayer. Although the plot is still top-notch, the writing of the book wasn't as great as I'd hoped. I realize the author wrote the novel from the movie script, and it was very apparent. Not to say that the book was bad, just it didn't have the depth of a typical novel.
Dawn
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novelization from a screenplay. I liked the movie and was hoping for more insight to characters and/or deleted scense, which some movie novelizations have. I found the insights from the character especially Phillipe in the book were totally different from what I got from the movie. It was still an enjoyable "light" reading but I still would rather spend the time watching the movie instead of reading the novelization.
Amanda
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
If I rated this on how much I enjoyed it, it would get 5 stars. I remember exactly where I bought it, the bookstore at the Mall in Greenville, SC. At first I was not even aware it was a novelization of a movie. I liked it a lot.

Not the best book ever, for sure, but it gets three stars for the happy memories!
Zenei
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Would recommend
Recommended to Zenei by: Probably will read again
The book is much like the movie (movie is one of my all time favorites)but with more details revealed. A very good read. I give it four stars because the story is so unique and I was able to finish it, which these days is saying alot.
Carla
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved the movie and know I'm in love with the book. This is one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever heard of and even knowing the ending, I cried a river over it.

~*~

Em português aqui.
Kate
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I had seen the movie many many times before I read the book which is actually based on the screen play. Suggest you seek out the movie and then read the book. Tremendously funny and touching story.
Francie
This was a favorite book when I was a teen. I then watched the movie multiple times & loved it, too. I look forward to re-reading this some day when the kids are older and seeing if they enjoy it as much as I did.

• Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • Dragons and Unicorns: A Natural History
  • Within the Frame, 10th Anniversary Edition: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century
  • Poltergeist II: The Other Side
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • The Good Liar
  • The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
  • Knife Children (The Sharing Knife #4.5)
  • Weaving with Little Handmade Looms: Make Your Own Mini Looms and Weave 25 Exquisite Projects
  • The World According to Horses: How They Run, See, and Think
  • Careers for Introverts & Other Solitary Types
  • Titans: The Lazarus Contract
  • Half Baked Harvest Cookbook: Recipes from My Barn in the Mountains
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • The Oracle Queen (Three Dark Crowns #0.1)
  • Inventive Weaving on a Little Loom: Discover the Full Potential of the Rigid-Heddle Loom, for Beginners and Beyond
  • Delish Insane Sweets: Bake Yourself a Little Crazy: 100+ Cookies, Bars, Bites, and Treats
Joan D. Vinge (born Joan Carol Dennison) is an American science fiction author. She is known for such works as her Hugo Award-winning novel The Snow Queen and its sequels, her series about the telepath named Cat, and her Heaven's Chronicles books.