Start by marking “Train Trip” as Want to Read:
Train Trip

Train Trip

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A lucky little boy is going to visit Grandma! But as much as he looks forward to seeing his grandmother's friendly face, the ride on the train may just be the best part of the trip. There are bridges to cross, instruments to study, and aisles to tromp up and down. All aboard!
Published August 23rd 2011 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Train Trip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Train Trip

Deborah
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A boy and his mom wait for the train that will take him to visit to grandma. On the trip, the conductor shows him the ropes of operating a train, even letting him blow the whistle. The boy arrives in the city his grandma lives in, and as he passes the train he just disembarked, he thinks about how someday he will operate the train.

Rand loves it so it is clearly a winner!

Toddler
Katie
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A boy from the country embarks on a solo adventure to visit his grandma in the city. His train ride is recounted in cartoony illustrations and whimsical rhymes. I liked the story okay, thanks to some parallels to my first ever airplane trip, but found the pictures and poetry kind of hokey. So I might recommend it to a train enthusiast and include it in a train-themed display, but it would not be my first choice for story time.
Maria Burel
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Train Trip tells the story of a little boy traveling across the countryside to meet his grandmother in the city. The couplet-style text feels rhythmic, almost mimicking the motion of the train. Lots of happy, smiling faces, too, including that of the train itself. A good one for a young child about to experience this form of public transportation for the first time.
Yelena
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
If you are familiar with Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, I think you'd agree with me that the train engine in this book brings to mind Blaine, the evil sentient locomotive. Between the sickeningly cute illustrations, characters reminiscent of "Puffs" commercials, and forced rhymes, I'm not sure that I'd recommend this book to even the most die-hard trains-obsessed child.
Samantha
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
A happy little story about taking a trip on a train. Simple text that chuggs right along and rhymes paired with charming illustration with a slightly old feel make this a great read aloud! I would recommend this book to any Thomas the Tank Engine enthusiast, include it in a train or transportation display, or read it in a Train-themed storytime.
Rosa Cline
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-book, 2015, 2017
This was a very charming fun story written about a little boy and his adventure on the train. Written almost in poetry format, introduction to poems to little readers. Two to three words per sentence but enough to get the meaning of the story. The illustrations were beautiful as well. My 3 year old granddaughter enjoyed looking through this and making up her own story by the pictures.
Janae
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I'd give this a 3.5. A little boy rides a train (by himself!) to his grandmother's house. It's written in mostly two-word sentences: "Buildings loom. Engine slows. Destination. Station glows." Good for teaching poetry.
Tricia
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Okay, so train books do well in our house. This one was no exception although I have enjoyed other titles more. A little boy takes a train ride alone (and at night) to see his grandma. Short rhymes...and agreed with some other reviewers, the train's is (at times) on the verge of creepy.
John
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
A little boy travels by train to his grandma's house.
Cassandra
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations. I liked the short and snappy text.
Shelli
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bright colorful picture to share with your little ones who are fascinated with trains or might be taking a train ride soon.
Beverly
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Very nice illustrations; short rhymes; will make a terrific story time book.
Janet
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great for toddlers and preschoolers!
Megan
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers-preschool
As you read this aloud, you'll hear the rhythm of the train moving along the tracks.
Abby
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddo
A young boy alone on a Train Trip. "Shoulder tap. 'Follow me.' 'Where to?' 'You'll see' " uh... no thanks
Kim
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Okay little train book for the short rhymes, but not my favorite.
Leona
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
follow a little boy as he goes on a train trip to the big city. he event gets to toot the train whistle!
Naomi Blackburn
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute book, but I think I am the only one who had a problem that the mother sent the kid on a train trip alone. Other than that, told in cute rhyme with a "Thomas the Train" feel to the illustrations.
Tanya
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice art. Reminds me of my friend Dolores Avendano. The jerky, poetic nature of the text is also interesting.
Violet B
Feb 15, 2016
Emily
rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2013
Linda Atkinson
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I know a couple of young train enthusiasts who will love this one!
Lisa
Jan 23, 2016
Andrea Schreiber
Apr 11, 2012
Nancy
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2012
Miss Melissa
Sep 06, 2011
Sherry
Nov 19, 2014
Jeanne
Sep 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
I write children's books, I'm more famous in my area for my pets! See my new book Little House in the Suburbs and videos uploaded below and the newspaper links here, here, here, here, and here.
More about Deanna Caswell...