Start by marking “Comfort” as Want to Read:
Comfort

Comfort

Nothing ever happened here. Nothing ever would.

Fifteen-year-old Kenny Wilson wants nothing more than to get out of Comfort, Texas—fast. Only three things stand in his way: getting enough money together, convincing Cindy Blackwell to go with him, and escaping the clawlike grip of his mother.
Amidst these problems, Kenny must also contend with tumultuous feelings about his a
Published March 25th 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Jessica
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a quick and easy read that I picked up because I was weeding the library's teen section and was trying to decide whether I should keep it (it's about poetry!) or toss it (no one's checked it out in years). While it's not my new favorite teen book, I'm definitely keeping it in the library and maybe even recommending it, especially to boys. (I always struggle with finding good books to recommend to guys.) Kenny's voice is strong and believable. I read the whole thing with his Texan drawl ...more
Nicole Glaser
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-678
Kenny is 14-years old. He works in the family business. He plays in the band and plays football. Seem normal? Not really. Mom wants his to quit it all and help in the café. She is abusive, self absorbed and mean. Dad is an alcoholic and is getting ready to be released from prison. Oh, and he’s a teenager so throw in a major crush on a girl named Cindy. He fantasizes about running away from the “comforts” of Comfort, TX. Now to raise money to make his plan come true!
Kenny is a realistic, insightf
Corey Senbouttarath
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book is mainly of a teen named Kenny Wilson. Hes faced a short glimpse of fame while in the football team in high school and became a popular figure. Till he hits the turning point of events in his life starting with his mom taking him away from the team forcefully making him work most his life and hours in the cafe in which his mom bought solely for the familys goals in that she believes. As the days go on he finds himself hardworking in the cafe and not being paid which in fact leads him t ...more
Antonina Busalacchi
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dean's Comfort mesmerized me with its inspiring tale and its outstanding style.

The theme of this book is acceptance and sacrifice. Carolee Dean's style is unique and touching.
This story shows the importance of standing up for yourself and truly achieving your dreams no matter what stands in the way. Some of the main characters in the book are Kenny, Roy junior, mama, and daddy. Kenny is fifteen years old and has the desire to do more with his life rather than work at his mamas cafe. Roy junior i
Ashley
Oct 15, 2010 added it
my novel called comfort is about this boy named Kenny.Kenny's dad is just getting out of prison again. Kenny's mom is making him get a hard ship so when his dad gets out he can drive him around.Even-tho he's fourteen.Kenny lives with is mom,brother and dad. when he's home from prison.
Kenny is in love with this girl named Cindy Blackwell.But she is older than him and she would not date him.Kenny is in a poetry class with Cindy.He writes very good in poetry.His mom owns a cafe and she makes Kenn
Andersreads
This book about Kenny Willson, a high school student who lives in Comfort, Texas, is one I really enjoyed. Kenny's family is dysfunctional, with an abusive mother and a father who has spent the last three years in prison. His mother has big plans for her husband, who she thinks will be the next country superstar. Kenny has become interested in poetry, and he attends a poetry slam with a high school girl who is several years older than him, so although he is in love with her, she sees him as a fr ...more
Brooke
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is about a young boy dealing with the struggles of an abusive mother, poverty, an alcoholic father, and the inner turmoil that creates.
Kenny Willson loves to write and dreams of a bigger life outside of the small town of Comfort, TX. He dreams of breaking free from the shackles of poverty and lack of education.
With a mama who can't see past her own dreams to realize her son has some of his own, Keny has to fight for what he wants, has to fight to be somebody, and has to fight just to s
Lisa
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, especially the way that Kenny's emotions were portrayed. Toward the end of the novel, however, I feel that the events all ofa sudden became rushed. The book had a very suspenseful, slow feel in the beginning which I enjoyed. So when all of a sudden it was over and things ended up the way they did, I was somewhat let down. In general, however, the author accurately portrayed the common dysfunction of family in modern American society and did a great job of revealing th ...more
Art
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to change direction in their life or loves poetry.
Recommended to Art by: Ms. Becky McGlone, Student of Jesse Stuart
Shelves: small-town-life
Riveting, a book you just can't set down until you reach the end.
WOW!
I was crying hard the last two chapters of the book.

What a way to blend family situations, small town life, first love and the desire to run away with the use of poetry.
Ms. Dean captured the life of a youth that reminded me of Lois Lowry, Avi and Will Weaver.

"I ain't goin' down, Mama,
I ain't goin' down.
"You can lock me up in your Coke can
house,
'Til I 'm busting at the seams.
You can whoop me like a dog
While I listen to your sche
Sara
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Once again a success. Her books are hard to read in a way. Her characters have so many challenges and trials, and don't always make good choices. The main character in this book has an alcoholic father just released from jail, a poorly educated and not very kind mother, and a neglected baby brother. It's a difficult situation. He is good in school but his mother wants him to drop out at 16 like she did and devalues school in favor of work. There's a good resolution and a good and unexpected stor ...more
Hollydabchotmail.com
YAL
Main issues: father drunk, teen helps to run family restaurant, mom stops him from doing some extracurricular activities, teen is great at poetry and he attends poetry readings..author quotes the bird cage by Angela Mayalou), teen romance issues. This could be an emotionally hard book for some to read. Overall, I enjoyed the book, but I would not reccomend it to students. It would have to be the choice of the student. I would not recommend for Middle School reading. There are too many issues.
Sabrina
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was okay to me Kenny was a very interesting character to read about ... he is a strange boy though falling in love with the worst girl he could ever fall in love with. Though he is kind he is also a foolish boy doing any thing to get Sinde to like him. Even though he is like that though i can't help but feel pitty for him since his own parents don't suport his choses in life like sports and literacy. Though this book does have a farly happy ending to it for him.
Jenny
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic, teen
14 year old Kenny Roy Willson just wants to escape from Comfort, Texas, with Cindy. His mother forced him to quit the football team and the band, and now she wants him to drop out to help her run the cafe. His alcoholic father has just gotten out of prison, and his mother has big plans to make him a Big Country Star. He only needs to win one of the state competitions to get enough money to leave.
Alicia
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: male
Kenny Willson can't escape his present and Texas itself. His mom puts everything she has (including Kenny) into running a diner so her ex-con husband can make it big as a country singer. But the back of a camel is broken when not only is he forced to quit football, band, poetry and school (almost), he realizes he needs to find someone to believe in him. Maybe he just needs to believe in him.

"I ain't goin' down Mama, I ain't goin' down"
Gabrielle Prendergast
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this in a few hours one sunny Saturday. It really drew me in very quickly and I felt strongly attached to the main character. It's kind of a country and western song in novel format though, with everything going horribly wrong all the time for poor Kenny, but leaves you feeling drained but not defeated.
Luisa Silva
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dramatic People
Recommended to Luisa by: My teacher- Ms.Langley
I really liked this book. I would recommend it to people who are intrested in a little bit of drama and a realistic book. I was currently reading this book in class for a book project and if you are a student reading I would tell your teacher to make you'll do this book for a project to read. It was definitely one of the best books I have read.
Kim
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
It may be because I had no expectations if this book, but I liked it a lot. It's a first novel for this author. I liked her characters though, her setting, and her symbols. There is a little language in this because this is about a boy with an alcoholic father, an abusive mother, and choices to make about his future. The language was probably therefore necessary.
Jamie
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle school readers
Recommended to Jamie by: Jill Dicuffa
I finished Comfort over the weekend. I like the poetry connection. I also liked seeing Kenny figure out what was important to him and act on it. He definitely was faced with challenges beyond what many experience. I loved the way his story ended. The poetry connection was definitely my favorite part of the book. Boy, am I easy!
Raeven
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
the book was good because it told the drama of someones life and how his parents were selfishly trying to control it . he overcame his trials by not giving in and making the right choices at the end of the book.
Alex- the awesome
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought it was pretty good. It was about a boy whos life wasn't so good his mom wasn't nice to him and his dad was in jail. His dad comes back and his mom is making him drive his dad everywhere and he doesn't even want to see his dad. (That is how I feel with my dad)
Thats all i remember. :)
Shema
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: y-a
I read this in Three days and I loved it Kenny seems so real in his struggles. His home life and the struggle teens go through in needing self expression. I recommend this book to any teen its very enlightening and I loved the poetry exposure in the book.
Julia Medina
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-school
I thought that this book was very interesting and a good story. Many life lessons.
Tawnia
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved Kenny the main character in this book. If anyone had a reason to give up on life, he did. This story proves that you should never, never, give up.
Judy Desetti
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
boy fantasies about escaping his parents and abusive home life. He imerses himself in school life.

realistic fiction 8th grade and up
Hannah
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. I had to read it in English... but i ended up loving it!
Josselyn
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book it was really good ireally did like it.
Carolee Dean
Jun 09, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
COMFORT was my first novel. It's about a boy who uses poetry to overcome his dysfunctional family situation.
BERENICE
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
2007 SUMMER READING
Tamar
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Decent teen read. Deals with tough subjects. My 8th graders seemed engaged, many read ahead.
Aracely
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
*life is hard*
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Comfort 2 10 Aug 04, 2016 09:00AM
  • Thumbelina
  • Sharing Susan
  • Girlhearts (Sarabeth, #2)
  • Dirty Liar
  • Why I Fight
  • Episodes: My Life as I See It
  • Be Sweet
  • Welcome Home, Jellybean
  • The Shadow Club Rising (Shadow Club, #2)
  • Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip