Start by marking “The Film Book” as Want to Read:
The Film Book

The Film Book

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A comprehensive, fun-to-browse, and easy-to-use source of everything you want to know about the movies and the people behind them, The Film Book is a unique treasure trove of a guide that will appeal to anyone who loves movies. From the history of the art form to techniques, and then the films themselves, The Film Book provides an overview of cinematic styles and genres; t ...more
Published October 31st 2011 by DK (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Film Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Film Book

Walid M Rihane
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could have been a 5 stars book if it included some other major directors and works. Too bad it misses many!
Pranay
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but I found it a bit US centric. The print edition comes in a lovely metal case. Great fun to read with a bunch of people who’re interested in films, but not so much if you’re reading on your own.
Katya Vinogradova
Jan 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Utterly redundant. Disappointment. What a shame...
However, this would work as a starter guide for beginner movie lovers. I just hope it won't turn them off cinema.
And yes, I know this sounds pretentious, but I don't care! I'm not in the mood to be polite and accommodating to such mediocre writing.
One more thing, no Tarantino in the list of directors?! REALLY!?! And no Pulp Fiction in the list of best movies?! REALLY!?!
Okay, that was two more things.
Nick
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

The Film Book is a good reference resource for film buffs and historians, and an excellent resource for budding film buffs, bored people, and those who wish to compose bucket lists of films to watch. It features a section on the history of film, which highlights notable films from each era; a section on how films are made (weak but good enough for a newcomer); a section on movie genres including notable films from each genre; a section on 'world film' which is decent, though heavily lacking in s
Pannita
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book comes in a film canister liked tin box and the book cover is a photo of vintage film. The contents of the book are divided into 6 sections, as the following:

I. The Story of Film: The history of film since 1895 to present and timeline
II. How Movies are Made: Pre-production, Production and Post-production
III. Movie Genres: Western, Musical, Comedy, Action, Animation etc.
IV.World Film: International movies from around the world, such as India's Bollywood
V. A-Z of Directors: Profiles of 100
Olivia
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Film Buffs, People who know nothing about movies but want to
Recommended to Olivia by: my local library
Very informative. I saw this in the new section of my library and decided to pick it up. While I did not read every single word of this book, I feel that it has a lot of great information. It starts by detailing the history of film, a decade at a time. Lots of details without feeling bogged down. After the history, Bergan goes into deeper explaination of how a film is made, starting with pre-production all the way through to interviews by the actors after the film is out.
Bergan also explores the
Simon Blair
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While it’s sometimes imprudent to judge a book by its cover you can highly esteem the metallic case this book comes in resembling a cinematic film canister!! Fortunately the book is great too covering, in glossy visual style, the history of cinema from the early days of silent filmmaking in France with the Lumiere brothers to the feats of the 1920s like Fritz Lang’s ‘Metropolis’ (the world’s first Sci-Fi blockbuster) and more recent digital creations like ‘Avatar’. It’s a reminder that film is n ...more
Glen O'Brien
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cinema
I enjoyed this book although serious film buffs will probably not learn much they didn't already know. The most informative section for me was on World Cinema about which I know comparatively little. Other sections include a brief history of cinema, a description of how movies are made, movie genres, an A-Z of Directors and a list of the top 100 Movies. Any such list will of course have many omissions and arguable inclusions. We find Four Weddings and a Funeral but not Apocalypse Now? Overall th ...more
ehk2
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cinema-1, e-book
for beginners, it might be informative and good. but it is too short to be inclusive in scope and i would add or omit many films and directors for my taste. information on individual country level is too brief and selective to be meaningful. photos and posters are nice and delightful. i would also add small photos of each director, though.

a good means to pass time remembering the films you watched and loved. nothing to be expected much more than that.
Brent Barnard
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here is a true book for the film lover - much more methodical than the Eyewitness Guide (to my way of thinking). The visuals are splendid, as you would expect a DK product to be. As the Brits would say, "Brilliant!"
Tomas Ramanauskas
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great for the beginners. Facile, yet very handy when it comes to grasping the timeline of whole medium. Pretty weak in international cinema, f.e., Fellini, one of all time greats, gets half the page.
Asif Khan
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cinema
Really liked this book. A nice and general introduction to the world of movies. From filmmaking to world cinema, great filmmakers and great films. Well-written and described as well as good design and pictures. Had fun reading the whole thing about a year or so back.
Noemi-Diana
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A complete book with certain details about the movie industry and a little history about the movies worldwide. Any movie spectator who is not specialized in the field can read this book because it doesn`t contain difficult phrases. ...more
Alejandro OC
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved it. Even though I would have enjoyed it more if this book was more focused on the process of filmmaking and history of film, I really liked this book. The only thing I didn't like was that the "Best Movies" and "Best Directors" parts took so many pages.
Clare
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
The Film Book is a decent, good overview of film history, the process of creating a film, and world film, with enough recommendations to keep you going on your own.
Arijit Saha
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film-books
A great Record book of Cinema history
Felicia Chaidez
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This remains one of my favorite books of all time.
Yilmaz Gorali
Apr 08, 2013
Ana
Nov 30, 2013
John Martin
rated it did not like it
May 28, 2016
  • The Rough Guide to Sci-Fi Movies
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films
  • Understanding Movies
  • DC Comics Ultimate Character Guide
  • The Best Film You've Never Seen: 35 Directors Champion the Forgotten or Critically Savaged Movies They Love
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Star Wars: Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
  • The Film Encyclopedia: The Most Comprehensive Encyclopedia of World Cinema in a Single Volume
  • Marvel Chronicle