Start by marking “The Christmas Creed” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Creed

The Christmas Creed

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
When Dr. Alexander Pennington III gets snowed in for Christmas with a sick widow and her children, every aspect of his stone cold family creed, which includes only giving if you'll receive more than you gave, is in danger of being lost in the magic and love of Christmas. This sweet story will help you remember that Christmas is about more than looks-- it's about the heart.
Published September 8th 2011 by Bonneville (first published November 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Creed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Creed

Melissa
May 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a horribly predictable, weak-charactered little tale. It was for a book club and I did not enjoy it.
Beth Pearson
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book didn't work for me. It was originally titled Crack Wheat for Christmas and the author said he updated it to fit it in today's modern world. It might have been better to have left it in the original setting, if that was 100 years ago.

The premise is a rich, young doctor driving cross country for Christmas to show off his successful possessions. He comes from a family of doctors who work hard at having all the right possessions, right place in society, and have been successful in this qu
Kathryn
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A must read short, but sweet Christmas story that portrays the change brought about in one man's life by the mere coincidence or "miracle" of his car battery dieing on his way cross country to celebrate christmas with his rich family.

Dr. Alex Pennington the III, had expectations put on his head by this forebears. This was the family creed: 1: Only give to charity if it promises returns.2: Church attendance is okay only if it improves your social status 3. Faith in God is all right as long as it
Eva
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This is one of my first read giveaways through goodreads. It is a very quick read and is easy to determine what is going to happen in the end, however if you believe Christmas has become to commercialized I recommend reading this book. The story shows us that the the true meaning of Christmas is the miracle of the birth of our Savior and that God brings people together that need each other and that gifts from the heart are the best type of gifts to give and to recieve. This book shows us that wh ...more
Dansi Davis
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very delightful to read. It was a good transformation story. It was about a man that changed his life for the better after his car broke down in a snowstorm. It was a very emotional book that was enjoyable to read around Christmas. Especially with family. It opened my eyes to read this story from a total different perspective than I usually see things. It was from a wealthy, unappreciative man's view that eventually changes. I recommend this book if you want to get into the Christm ...more
Diane  Holm
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Miracle of the Heart

High and mighty Dr. Alexander Pennington III has planned the perfect Christmas and is driving back east in his expensive and flashy car. His station in life, above others, has been bred from birth and he is coming to gloat to his family. Along the way and in the middle of nowhere, Doctor Pennington III is about to be undone by a wee little girl. Well written, lively and engaging, the unfolding story is sure to be a favorite for years to come.
Kathy
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful Christmas story that I have reread many times over the years. I have the original book, "cracked wheat for Christmas" that was published in the '80s. The author updated and publish it again and titled it The Christmas Creed so the story would have no reference to the year he wrote it. It can be read in under an hour. This year I decided to get the Kindle version of The Christmas Creed and enjoyed it as much as I did the original version of Cracked a Wheat for Christmas.
Vanessa
A cute story, if rather predictable. However, more so then it being predictable, I think it could have been a bit longer. There was some definite lack of character development...or maybe it was the telling rather than showing. It was a sweet, very short Christmas story that is worth a read if that is what you are looking for (it maybe takes an hour and 15 minutes to get through the whole book).
Dorry Lou
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as it was somewhat different. A doctor on his way home to spend the holidays with his family got stranded in the middle of no way and ends up with a widow who is very ill and her 3 children. I did not like the end very well as it sorta left you hanging or had to use your imagination too much.
Sandy
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-authors
To the main character Christmas means nothing and is focused on ambition, fortune and reputation in the medical world in a attempt to impress his wealthy family. Then a snowstorm catches him of guard in the middle of nowhere and as a stranded traveler learns what true happiness is all about from children who rescue him. A good read.
Dahlene
This is another cute, short book I picked up at my mother's this weekend after I finished "The Gift" by Richard Paul Evans. I read it in an hour. A quaint miracle happens in this sweet book that changes the heart of a very busy man. It is worth picking up for a short read during the Christmas season.
Garrett
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another cute Christmas story.

The premise of the family rules was a bit of a stretch for me, and the rules themselves seemed a bit strange in general, but it was a touching story about compassion and service.
Annalisa
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun short story that will put you in the holiday spirit as you evaluate not just your feelings at Christmas but throughout your life. Alex has a creed to live by and it makes you think about what yours is and should be.
loveyalyn
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an updated version of "Cracked Wheat for Christmas." It seems like the author is trying really hard to update, but not give any details about time so as not to update in the future. This makes a very nice Christmas story seem contrived. Can't wait to read the original...
Jill
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-fiction, holiday
We had this book on the shelf when I was little. A few years ago, I got a copy and read it with my sister, Heidi when we spent Christmas together in AZ. It's a bit sappy, but worth a read, and a fun Christmas time read.
loveyalyn
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the original story written in 1985. I enjoyed it more than the "up-dated" version "The Christmas Creed." It is a quick read with a good Christmas values message. I think it would make a great Hallmark Christmas movie for TV!!
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one when I was 12 yrs. old.
Becky Rose
Predictable book, but cute for the holiday's.
Jacquelyn
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun short christmas story. Good read to get you in the mood and spirit of christmas.
Debbie
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. What a great story! Ideals can change even when we don't think that they will.
Kylene
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Short and sweet Christmas story. I felt like I was watching a Hallmark movie, but it was nice and cozy and the perfect read this time of year.
Angie
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
It was a quick read and very predictable. It is your typical Christmas story, I even saw ties to Dicken's A Christmas Carol characters.
Chamaine
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story! A bit cheesy, but I've read it to my students at Christmas time and they all LOVED it, too!
Heather
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A cute story, just a little too predictable and "homemade" feeling. The writing was bad. Worth the read since it's so short.
Kathleen Kirby Vallejo
This is the kind of cheese-fest I tend to stay away from, but it was a cute little story. Very easy, very quick.
Julie
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the kids, didn't love the ending.
Janice
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Swhe641200
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet Christmas Story. This was VanenBosh Book they loaned to us. It reminds us of what is really important in this life.
Kristine
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun for the holidays. good reminder of true Christmas helpers.
LaSchelle
Sweet reminder that money isn't everything. Sometimes those who have love and each other are better off than those who have lots of money.

Reminds you of why you give service or help others.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • Waiting for Appa
  • Through the Lens: National Geographic's Greatest Photographs
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • Gifted
  • A Christmas Dress for Ellen
  • Christmas in Apple Ridge: Three-in-One Collection: The Sound of Sleigh Bells, The Christmas Singing, The Dawn of Christmas
  • Christmas Jars Reunion