Start by marking “The Lies That Bind (The Liar Society, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lies That Bind (The Liar Society, #2)

The Lies That Bind

(The Liar Society #2)

Just when Kate Lowry thought she had life at elite private school Pemberly Brown figured out, she cracks open a fortune cookie to find a message from her best friend Grace--who's supposed to be dead.

Another Sister Gone

A classmate has gone missing, and Kate soon realizes that the disappearance is tied to the secret societies that rule her private school. Her best friend die
Published November 6th 2012 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Lies That Bind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lies That Bind

Faye
There's a simple way I could describe this book: Fluffy with a bad romance.

The Lies That Bind is a fun followup to it's prequel. The story isn't very heavy. I laughed aloud a couple times. It's really fun! The main character, Kate, is super awesome. She's smart, funny, caring, and brave. She's everything anyone could want in a fun book. The side characters are also really cute and funny.

There still is a battle with the two secret societies, and I love how there is a lot of female empowerment i
John Hedrick
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-print
Sequels don't always live up to their predecessors, but THE LIES THAT BIND certainly delivers. I wasn't sure what to expect from book 1, THE LIAR SOCIETY, but I found it to be a terrific read. I really liked Kate, and I was personally glad (since she's 15) the book didn't move into any "edgy" territory where her teenage love drama is concerned. THE LIES THAT BIND was equally satisfying on that score. The story is engaging and, while I had my suspicions, the mystery kept me guessing and turning p ...more
Abbie
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
The main character in this was alright, but I didn't love her.

This was another okay read, but again, there were a few times where I felt quite bored. It dragged slightly in areas, but it wasn't awfully bad thankfully.

Overall, An okay read.
Rebekah
Dec 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
ARC received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Review can also be found on myblog

What worked: Again, I still wasn't impressed with this second installment of The Liar Society. I liked the cover and the blurb made me hope and pray for the best but that was the only thing that worked for me.

What irked: As I didn't enjoy the first book, I had everything crossed that The Lies That Bind would be different. You know I don't like to write a disappointed review so I'll just hash i
Fred
Feb 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
Sweet closure that eluded me at the end of book one ... please be in here somewhere!
Shannon
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This wasn’t nearly as good as the first book. I spent the majority of the book being irritated by the direction of the story and pissed off because of certain characters. To be honest, I don’t think I liked anyone in this besides Seth. Kate was fun in the last one, but I couldn’t stand her in this. I was annoyed by the constant hallucinations or ghost sightings. It lost its excitement after the 50th time it happened. You never really thought ‘OMG, is that the missing girl or ghost?!!’ because ho ...more
Stephanie Ward
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

'The Lies That Bind' is the second book in the LIAR SOCIETY series - a young adult mystery/thriller that follows main character Kate Lowry as she struggles to expose the secret societies that rule her school and the dangers that they pose. In this second installment, Kate is still reeling from the death of her best friend, Grace, and is seeking justice for her death by attempting to bring down those responsible. Soon another girl has gone missing and history seems to be replaying itself
Joann
Jun 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Couldn't even get half-way through it. Disappointing.
Heidi
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Four stars: A compelling mystery with many twists and turns!

Kate is back at school. She is desperately trying to put the past behind her and move forward. Losing her best friend Grace to the secrets that fuel the two secret societies: The Brotherhood and Sisterhood was a huge blow. Kate is determined to steer clear of the clandestine and underhanded groups. Unfortunately at the memorial for Grace, Kate finds her best friend's jacket. Then later at the annual secret society meeting, that really i
Lenni Jones
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
As I said on bookbub, I feel just like I did when finishing the first book. My stomach feels...not right? That’s the best I can describe it. Plus, my head is still thinking about the book. “Go finish the Kate book.” “I DID.” “Finish it again!” Yes, this is was a Lenni war sounds like. But anyway, this book is really, this’ll sound weird, but, haunting. Questions bounce through my head and I just want more of this series! I hope this weird review helps you at all.
Sherrie
The Lies That Bind, the second offering in the Liar Society Series, starts off strong but is not nearly as engaging as the first book in the series. In my opinion, this book did little to move the story along and could've been left out of the series altogether. It did however offer up an annoying love triangle and add a bit of a shocking twist in the end. Although, I wasn't as enthralled as I was with the first book I did enjoy this book enough to see the series through to the end.
Shaft
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is crazy, straight up bonkers and confirms your worst fears about rich white people. Thankfully it is all make believe right, secret societies don't exist right?
Lindsay Heller
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the second book of the 'Liar Society' series Kate Lowry is back for a new year, with new rules, new friends, and a new hair color (blue!). I've heard Kate compared to a sassy Nancy Drew and Veronica Mars. Both are apt in this highly entertaining follow up to 'The Liar Society'.

Kate Lowry has discovered the truth behind the accidental death of her best friend, Grace Lee, a year and a half earlier, but that doesn't mean that her work is done. Now that Kate knows about the rivaling secret societ
Reut
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Posting this on both this book's page and The Liar Society's since this is more of a series review.

Originally reviewed on reutreads, a young adult book blog.

I am very conflicted about this series. On one hand, the books are enjoyable reads. They are quick paced and the writing flows nicely. (More on this later.) On the other, there are some problematic things about the books I did not enjoy.

- forced quirkiness and "cool" voice

Kate is... interesting. She is obviously a damaged character who nev
Justin
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun. I really wish I had picked a better time to read it, with the holidays I wasn't really able to sit down and read for a long period of time. So even though it's a fairly short book it still took me a little bit longer than I was hoping it would. And that aggravated me, because once I really got into the book I realized just how awesome of a book this would be for one awesome reading session. It's surprisingly fast paced while still packing in a lot of really interesting ...more
Nana bNana
After all, things are never what they seem at Pemberly Brown.

Kate Lowry was once again trust in the middle of the society war. This time she needs to go deeper into the heart of the war to save someone, while wearing a new coloured hairdo—ice blue.

Goodreads description:
Kate Lowry thought she’d retired her pearls for good. But that was before Taylor Wright fails to show up for school Monday after the biggest party of the year.

Kate realizes soon enough that the party and Taylor's disappearance are
Nicci
Dec 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
I read The Liar Society last April, and I really enjoyed it. So, when the Kindle version of The Lies That Bind was on sale for less than $5, I immediately purchased it! It is worth so much more (and I will definitely be purchasing a hard copy soon). I absolutely adored this book, and I’m now dying for the next book.

With this book, we are re-introduced to Kate, Seth, Liam, and the rest of PB. Like the first book, mystery surrounds this school with its secret societies and mysterious inhabitants.
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
A few weeks ago I was asked if I wanted to be a part of the celebration of the last Liar Society book and I realized that I hadn’t read the second one. I really enjoyed the first one so I told them I would love to review the third one. So in doing so I grabbed up the second one on kindle! So now I am already to dive into the third one.

In the first Liar Society book we know that Grace dies in a tragic “accident” or so that is what those that are covering it up say. At Pemberly Brown there are two
Erin Laidley
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Given how much I enjoyed The Liar Society, I was really excited to read the sequel. Unfortunately, although The Lies That Bind kept me guessing throughout the entire book, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the first one.

The Lies That Bind picks up directly after the events in The Liar Society. Kate has discovered that a conflict between two of the school's powerful societies, the Sisterhood and the Brotherhood, was responsible for her friend Grace's death, and now another member of the Sisterhoo
Sandra
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Lies that Bind is the second novel in The Liar Society series by sisters Lisa & Laura Roecker. In this installment, Kate is still reeling over the death of her best friend Grace, so it's surprising to her when little notes and trinkets belonging to Grace start showing up randomly. Then when one of the popular girls at school goes missing, Kate decides she owes it to Grace's memory to help find the missing girl. But who can you trust in a school ruled by secret societies?

I loved this book
Greis
The ending to this book made me want to punch something. Not only because the Sisterhood is this power-hungry but mostly because Kate won't take Liam back. I admit he was being a bit of an ass at the end when he was talking to her but I could understand (this was around the middle of the book) where he was coming from when he said he wouldn't stick around to watch Kate get hurt.

And then in the end, again, he was a giant ass for assuming that Kate was going to apologize but I thought her yelling,
Cherry
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Wasn't able to read the first book of the trilogy, but Lisa Roecker ably gave enough background, weaving such into the novel, that I knew enough to appreciate Book 2. #mystery #teenfiction
Haeja
4.5 stars, originally posted on My Book Musings.

One of the things I have been enjoying about blogging is seeing the shift of my interests and likes or dislikes as I read more books. Sometimes, I can be so gaga over one book or a character in a series and detest another. Such is the case with The Liar Society's second book, The Lies That Bind...

I like The Liar Society. It's got intrigue, friendship, a really cute boyfriend, and Kate's colorful hair. I completely fan-girled over it. But Lies That
Liviania
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
THE LIAR SOCIETY was one of last year's best mysteries, and THE LIES THAT BIND is a terrific sequel. I highly recommend starting with THE LIAR SOCIETY because this is one twisty, involved series. But the premise is simple enough that you could start with THE LIES THAT BIND.

THE LIES THAT BIND opens with Kate Lowry frustrated that she discovered who was responsible for her best friend's death but wasn't able to bring them to justice. When a classmate goes missing, Kate believes she knows whodunit
Stephanie Redwine
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Liar Society, The Lies That Bind, is an exciting mystery that centers around two secret societies that rule a private high school. Kate has been trying to take down the Brotherhood and Sisterhood ever since their involvement led to the death of her best friend, Grace. She is trying to get revenge for what happened to Grace and make sure it never happens to anyone else. So when a member of the Sisterhood goes missing and horrible text messages with her picture are sent around school, she has ...more
A.
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
holy crap!

That was my reaction after finishing this book. It's intriguing, thought proving and downright exciting.

Probably one of the best YA books I've read in a long while. It's one of those books that stick with you weeks after you've read it. The plot, the clues, the mysteries; it was all brilliant. I was left on the edge of my seat, skipping inconsequential things such as dinner and sleep, so I could reach the last page; I was so engrossed.

Now onto the characters! Kate is flawed and somet
Jessi
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a perfect continuation of The Liar Society! I was sucked into it just as fast as I was in the first. Even though Kate has some answers about Grace's death, she is still mourning, still not over the whole thing. And in the midst of the campus trying to move on, another Sister disappears. This book develops the layers that the secret societies have at Pemberly-Brown, the way the Sisterhood and the Brotherhood are at war with each other. Even though she is not directly involved in eit ...more
tarawrawr
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted http://hobbitsies.net/2012/11/the-lie...

Okay, The Lies that Bind by Lisa and Laura Roecker was freaking crazy. Seriously, what an intense book! There are so many twists and things I didn’t see coming and whew.

I had trouble remembering some details from The Liar Society, but it didn’t even detract from the reading experience of The Lies that Bind – although I do want to go back and skim it so I can answer some questions I had.

I loved the storyline of The Lies that Bind. I
Kelly Hager
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the second book in the Liar Society series and I read and loved the first book when it came out. Unfortunately, that was two years ago and by the time I read this book, I'd forgotten pretty much everything from that one. I spent a lot of this story trying to remember exactly what had happened and that did affect my enjoyment of this. (It IS my fault, though, but just be aware going in that you may want to read the three books back to back because there isn't very much exposition in this ...more
Marcie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lies That Bind picks up where The Liar Society ends. After solving the mystery of Grace's death everything should settle back down with Kate, right? Well, where's the fun in that? Kate's life get's turned upside down again when she receives another message from 'Grace'. After a classmate goes missing, Kate vows to not let the same thing that happened to Grace, happen to this other kid. However Kate learns that the situation is even bigger than she thought. Once again Kate has to use her deducing ...more
kate+liam 1 13 Aug 01, 2012 08:38PM
  • Wicked Little Secrets (Prep School Confidential, #2)
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
  • The Girl is Trouble (The Girl is Murder, #2)
  • The White Glove War (Magnolia League, #2)
  • The Rivals (The Mockingbirds, #2)
  • Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable, #2)
  • The Evil Within (Possessions, #2)
  • Tokyo Heist
  • All the Broken Pieces
  • The Never Weres
  • Hero Complex (Keaton School, #2)
  • The Quirks: Welcome to Normal
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • False Impressions (Nancy Drew: Files, #43)
  • The Little Woods
  • Georgetown Academy: Book Two
  • The Charm School Mystery (Sweet Valley Twins, #64)
  • In My Shoes
Lisa and Laura Roecker are sisters-turned-writing-partners with a love of all things Young Adult. Some call it arrested development, but the sisters claim it keeps them young. Plus, its cheaper than Botox. Lisa and Laura live in Cleveland, Ohio in separate residences. Their husbands wouldn't agree to a duplex. THE LIAR SOCIETY is their first novel.

The Liar Society (3 books)
  • The Liar Society (The Liar Society, #1)
  • Third Lie's the Charm (The Liar Society, #3)
“You remember the Latin?"
"Of course. Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit." I couldn't see his face. Cease of the hood, but it could tell by the tone of his voice that he was completely serious. Or at least trying to be. I wrinkled my forehead as I attempted to translate.
"Wait a second," Seth said, pulling back his hood to demonstrate his utter confusion. "I thought their greeting was Non ducor, duco. 'I am not led, I lead.'"
Liam's shoulders began shaking just as I finished my rough translation. "A wise man does not urinate against the wind?" I pulled down my hood and looked at Liam. He winked at me, and it was pretty much the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life. Normally, I'm very anti-wink when it comes to guys, but in this case it was a wink of absolution. It was a wink that meant Liam and I were actually going to be okay.
"You've been planning that all night, haven't you?" I reached over and squeezed his arm. It was the first time I had touched him in at least twenty-four hours, and his strong forearm felt so good beneath my fingertips. When he grabbed my hand and quickly brought my palm to his lips, I felt all the air leave my body. As much as I hated to admit it, for fear of sounding like a ridiculous, boy-crazed damsel in distress, it felt good to have my boyfriend back.
Taylor whipped back her hood, her blue eyes icy. "I'm so glad this is such a joke to you," she spat, clearly not in the mood for games.
Liam dropped my hand and sat up a little straiter. "Sorry T., I've got it non ducor, duco. Don't worry.”
2 likes
“You can't keep doing this," Liam added under his breath, "You've just gotta let it go."
Tears sprang to my eyes, and I wiped them away with backs of my hands.
"I know this isn't easy for you, but Grace wouldn't want you putting yourself at risk for them." He cupped my face in his hands and used his thumbs to wipe away fresh tears before they even had a chance to fall. "You're never going to win this. If you had a chance, they wouldn't bother playing."
"I know." And I did. There was no doubt in my mind that Liam was right. But that didn't make it any easier to give up.”
1 likes