Start by marking “Mog the Forgetful Cat” as Want to Read:
Mog the Forgetful Cat

Mog the Forgetful Cat

(Mog the Forgetful Cat #1)

A special 30th anniversary edition of the debut of Judith Kerr's Mog stories. Mog always seems to be in trouble because she is such a very forgetful cat. She forgets that she has a cat flap and she forgets when she has already eaten her supper. But one night, when an uninvited visitor turns up at the house, Mog's forgetfulness comes in very handy!
Hardcover, 30th Anniversary Edition, 40 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by HarperCollins UK (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Mog the Forgetful Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mog the Forgetful Cat

Start your review of Mog the Forgetful Cat
Hilary
We missed this mog story, but luckily found an old copy today. Great illustrations show a cat that lives with a family and the adults generally blame Mog for everything. Mog alerts the family to the presence of a burglar and is thereafter seen in a better light.

A lovely gentle story for young children, when the burglar is caught without a struggle they have all have a cup of tea with the policeman and even the burglar is given a cup, with a saucer of course!
Carol
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Couldn't help myself. Just had to read this children's picture book, published in 1970, about a forgetful sweetie of a cat named MOG.

All cats get into trouble from time to time. I know so from much experience, but in the end....MOG is....NO BOTHER!

Oh so cute!

Diane in Australia
I love all of Judith Kerr's Mog books. If the child in your life loves cats, they would enjoy reading about Mog. Her books have sold 10 million copies worldwide. She is the author, and illustrator. Look how adorable!

5 Stars = I love it!
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Best British ending ever!

-spoiler-
they even give a cup of tea to the thief, which makes us laugh every time. A classic!
Lisa Vegan
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers and fans of humorous picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Delightful! Mog is so endearing. I loved how Debbie, the girl in the house, sticks by Mog, even when she has her nightmare about a tiger. (That double page illustration is my favorite picture in the book.) The illustrations are cute. The story is mostly funny, with a bit of sadness, and it has a fun twist ending. Readers who have known any less than brilliant cats and/or cats who find trouble, will especially enjoy this sweet book. It looks as though there are a lot of Mog books, and I’m sure af ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Aw, I love the 1970 illustrations and the story. The Offspring, not overwhelmed with nostalgia, were less enthused, although they did like the twist.
Chinook
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: europe, kids, 1001-kids
This is probably the most British book that ever was, because at the end they are drinking tea with the burglar while the policeman tells Mog she deserves a medal.
Abigail
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Cat Lovers!
"Once there was a cat called Mog and she lived with a family called Thomas. Mog was nice but not very clever. She didn't understand a lot of things. A lot of other things she forgot. She was a very forgetful cat." And so begins this hilarious tale of the adorable Mog, a plump kitty-cat who, while she may not have been the cleverest feline out there, had a heart full of love for her human family. When Mog's forgetfulness precipitates one crisis too many, leading to an unpleasant scene, the poor c ...more
Gerry
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mog is a very forgetful cat, sometimes her memory loss is genuine, other times it is by design!

Mog lives with the Thomas family, mother and father and two children, Nicky and Debbie. She has her own entrance, a cat flap that takes her from the kitchen into the garden. And she is always excited when she goes into the garden for she can smell all the smells, chase the birds, climb trees and run around with a big fluffed up tail.

However, when it comes time to go back into the house she forgets she
Rebecca Upjohn
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I especially loved the illustrations.
Rebecca
I keep seeing this book at the library and I feel like I read it as a kid. The nostalgia!!
Shiloah
Cutest forgetful cat ever!
Katie Mary Thomas
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a child and so I really enjoyed reading it again now. I like how the author has set the writing within the pictures as it brings both aspects of the story together. The writing is short and grouped together making it easier to read for young children who are just starting to learn to read. By doing this it also brings more attention to each section of writing.

I like who the pictures have been seemed to have sketched on to the page. This creates a more friendly of way of dra
Hannah
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Mog gets into trouble due to her absentminded nature. Mog's inability to remember leads her to forget that she can not fly and she also forgets where her cat flap is. Interestingly, Mog is a cat but has a child like mindset. After a series of forgetful antics that get her into trouble, she sees a light in the window and meows to be let back in, as a result she saves the day.

I enjoyed this book as the short interesting sentences are combined with a sing a long rhythm of Kerr's text that makes it
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
Probably one of my top five favourite books from my childhood. Mog reminded me of my first pet cat, and I remember laughing at all Mog's funny little adventures.

Mog is forgetful. She can't help it! She wants to please her family and get along with everyone. She occasionally likes a boiled egg for breakfast.

The father in the household is rather exasperated with Mog. "BOTHER THAT CAT!" Is his choice of phrase. I'm sure in real life, his language would be a lot more colourful..!

One night, the fam
Rachel
This book is super nostalgic and reminds me of being in Reception at school. It's not so much the story, but the illustrations that bring back the fuzzy feeling of being five again. Back then, teachers would read aloud and show us the pictures. It was delightful to revisit this children's book as an adult.

The story is about the eponymous cat, Mog, who does usual cat things like "forgetting" they had already been fed and leaving the house through the cat flap and "forgetting" how to get back in
Helena's Library
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first entry in the Mog series is a family favourite - my toddler daughter loves it, as do I. The story is pretty simple but very amusingly written, Mog is a silly, forgetful cat who can't seem to get the hang of using the cat flap to go in and out of the house. The plot culminates with her *spoiler* foiling a burglar, which is not a plot line I am a fan of usually, but that's ok, it's a really charming read with lovely drawings and nice little touches.
Kirsty Cabot
A bit of a sad tale, but a nice happy ending!
Ella
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely book to use with KS1/lower KS2. The story could be used for a PSHE session as their are lots of opportunities for talking about different feelings which Mog experiences throughout the book and can then be relatable to children’s own experiences. There are also lots of opportunities for children to make predictions and notice patterns in the book, such as when Debbie is having a dream about a tiger. This will encourage deep thinking and links to be made. The story also has the message that ...more
Ruth
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Wayne Farmer
Lovely little story about an annoying little cat who somehow accidentally saves the day by doing the things it usually does to annoy. If you own a cat then you can associate! I remember reading this when i was a child so it gets nostalgia points too!
Carolina Carriço
There's a cat, so that automatically makes it fun to read 😂
Caitlin Brown
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It wasn’t until Judith Kerr’s death this year that I put together the author of the classic picture books The Tiger Who Came to Tea and the Mog series with the author of When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, a book I was captivated by as an older child. While I still remember parts of Pink Rabbit vividly, I’ve got only the foggiest recollection of any of Kerr’s picture books and no conscious memories of experiencing these for the first time. It was a delight to rediscover Mog the Forgetful Cat with my ...more
Linda McCarry
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my 12th Book Review: Mog the Forgetful Cat
By: Judith Kerr

I received this book from my teacher and students as a present, and it is a wonderful book and beautifully written from the well known author of The Tiger Who Came To Tea. It is a story about a cat called Mog. It tells the story of a forgetful cat who is always getting into trouble. Mog lives with her family Mr Thomas, Mrs Thomas, Debbie and Nicky. Debbie the little girl in the story loves Mog but her father Mr Thomas isnt too keen
Nyla
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
‘Mog the Forgetful Cat’ written by Judith Kerr is a book I picked up randomly in the library. Mog is a forgetful cat which the Thomas family see as a nuisance as Mog is constantly unknowingly getting on the wrong side of people, except Debbie, who is the only exception. That is until she had a nightmare about a tiger wanting to eat her, only to find out that Mog had crept into her room! Mog’s forgetfulness is shown throughout the book in different circumstances and the reaction shown by the fami ...more
Sarah Sammis
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: my husband
Here's a picture book that I feel like I've read a million times but it's only my first. My husband grew up with the book and it remains one of his favorites. So although I haven't read it before, he and his family have recounted the story so many times that I feel like it's an old friend.

His parents were recently in Canada and brought home a 40th anniversary reissue of the book for us.

----

Mog the Forgetful Cat by Judith Kerr is about a moggy cat who lives a typical life of a pet cat. She wants
Emily
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Mog, a very brave but very forgetful cat!

'Mog the forgetful cat' is Judith Kerr's tale of a loveable cat who can't seem to do anything right! He lays in the wrong places, daydreams and seems to constantly be in the way of his unpatient and busy owners. However, when a burgular attempts to intrude into Mog's house, his brave and courageous reaction saves the day!

As a child this was my favourite short story of all time, I can remember reading my 'Mog' stories over and over. Mog is a l
Stephen Barry
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mog the Forgetful Cat is a picture book written and illustrated by Judith Kerr. Mog lives with the Thomas family, Mr and Mrs Thomas and their children Nicky and Debbie. The story is based around Mog being unable to remember a number of things that would happen in the everyday life of a cat. For example, Mog would forget that the cat flap led out into the garden. Mr Thomas becomes frustrated with Mogs actions on numerous occasions, Nicky and Debbie however are more caring towards the cat. Mog bec ...more
Anna Nesterovich
I picked up this book because it was mentioned in Brief Candle in the Dark: My Life in Science by Richard Dawkins as something he was reading to his daughter. So I got curious.

The book wasn't in our library, so I asked for an interlibrary loan and, meanwhile, picked another book by the same author. I wish I hadn't.

Mog the Forgetful Cat on itself is not very bad, though it feels like something out-of-date. Not a book I would read to a kid now, but rather a book that my parents would listen to as
Anjumanara
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Judith Kerr classic that can be enjoyed by all EYFS and year one children. Its about a forgetful cat who gets into trouble for being careless and forgetful. She forgets that she has a cat flap and she forgets that she has already eaten her supper. By the end of the evening everyone has had enough and all you hear is ‘bother that cat’ throughout the day by Mr and Mrs Thomas who are getting fed up. The children on the other hand, are amused by all the nuisence she causes. However, when a burgler ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2018 Roe Reading ...: Mog the Forgetful Cat 1 2 Jun 19, 2020 08:41AM
2018 Roe Reading ...: Mog the Forgetful Cat by Judith Kerr 1 4 May 29, 2020 08:26AM

• Funnybones: 40th Anniversary Edition with a glow-in-the-dark cover
  • Meg and Mog
  • Peace At Last
  • Winnie the Witch
  • A Squash and a Squeeze
  • Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?
  • Owl Babies
  • The Smartest Giant in Town
  • Whatever Next!
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • Where's My Mom?
Judith Kerr was a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany with her parents and her brother, Michael, in 19

Mog the Forgetful Cat (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Mog's Christmas