Start by marking “Mog the Forgetful Cat” as Want to Read:
Mog the Forgetful Cat

Mog the Forgetful Cat

(Mog the Forgetful Cat #1)

A special 30th anniversary edition of the debut of Judith Kerr's Mog stories. Mog always seems to be in trouble because she is such a very forgetful cat. She forgets that she has a cat flap and she forgets when she has already eaten her supper. But one night, when an uninvited visitor turns up at the house, Mog's forgetfulness comes in very handy!
Hardcover, 30th Anniversary Edition, 40 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by HarperCollins UK (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Mog the Forgetful Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mog the Forgetful Cat

Hilary
We missed this mog story, but luckily found an old copy today. Great illustrations show a cat that lives with a family and the adults generally blame Mog for everything. Mog alerts the family to the presence of a burglar and is thereafter seen in a better light.

A lovely gentle story for young children, when the burglar is caught without a struggle they have all have a cup of tea with the policeman and even the burglar is given a cup, with a saucer of course!
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Best British ending ever!

-spoiler-
they even give a cup of tea to the thief, which makes us laugh every time. A classic!
Lisa Vegan
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers and fans of humorous picture books
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Delightful! Mog is so endearing. I loved how Debbie, the girl in the house, sticks by Mog, even when she has her nightmare about a tiger. (That double page illustration is my favorite picture in the book.) The illustrations are cute. The story is mostly funny, with a bit of sadness, and it has a fun twist ending. Readers who have known any less than brilliant cats and/or cats who find trouble, will especially enjoy this sweet book. It looks as though there are a lot of Mog books, and I’m sure af ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Aw, I love the 1970 illustrations and the story. The Offspring, not overwhelmed with nostalgia, were less enthused, although they did like the twist.
Chinook
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: europe, kids, 1001-kids
This is probably the most British book that ever was, because at the end they are drinking tea with the burglar while the policeman tells Mog she deserves a medal.
Abigail
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Cat Lovers!
"Once there was a cat called Mog and she lived with a family called Thomas. Mog was nice but not very clever. She didn't understand a lot of things. A lot of other things she forgot. She was a very forgetful cat." And so begins this hilarious tale of the adorable Mog, a plump kitty-cat who, while she may not have been the cleverest feline out there, had a heart full of love for her human family. When Mog's forgetfulness precipitates one crisis too many, leading to an unpleasant scene, the poor c ...more
Gerry
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mog is a very forgetful cat, sometimes her memory loss is genuine, other times it is by design!

Mog lives with the Thomas family, mother and father and two children, Nicky and Debbie. She has her own entrance, a cat flap that takes her from the kitchen into the garden. And she is always excited when she goes into the garden for she can smell all the smells, chase the birds, climb trees and run around with a big fluffed up tail.

However, when it comes time to go back into the house she forgets she
Katie Mary Thomas
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a child and so I really enjoyed reading it again now. I like how the author has set the writing within the pictures as it brings both aspects of the story together. The writing is short and grouped together making it easier to read for young children who are just starting to learn to read. By doing this it also brings more attention to each section of writing.

I like who the pictures have been seemed to have sketched on to the page. This creates a more friendly of way of dra
Chinara Ahmadova
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vaqiflə sevə-sevə, dönə-dönə oxuduğumuz yatmaq kitabı :) Çox pozitiv və şirin pişik Moqun ailənin güllərini dağıtması və sonra qəhrəmanlıq göstərərək günahlarını yumasından danışır.
Hannah
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Mog gets into trouble due to her absentminded nature. Mog's inability to remember leads her to forget that she can not fly and she also forgets where her cat flap is. Interestingly, Mog is a cat but has a child like mindset. After a series of forgetful antics that get her into trouble, she sees a light in the window and meows to be let back in, as a result she saves the day.

I enjoyed this book as the short interesting sentences are combined with a sing a long rhythm of Kerr's text that makes it
Kirsty Cabot
A bit of a sad tale, but a nice happy ending!
Ruth
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Carolina Carriço
There's a cat, so that automatically makes it fun to read 😂
Helena's Library
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first entry in the Mog series is a family favourite - my toddler daughter loves it, as do I. The story is pretty simple but very amusingly written, Mog is a silly, forgetful cat who can't seem to get the hang of using the cat flap to go in and out of the house. The plot culminates with her *spoiler* foiling a burglar, which is not a plot line I am a fan of usually, but that's ok, it's a really charming read with lovely drawings and nice little touches.
Rachel
This book is super nostalgic and reminds me of being in Reception at school. It's not so much the story, but the illustrations that bring back the fuzzy feeling of being five again. Back then, teachers would read aloud and show us the pictures. It was delightful to revisit this children's book as an adult.

The story is about the eponymous cat, Mog, who does usual cat things like "forgetting" they had already been fed and leaving the house through the cat flap and "forgetting" how to get back in
Linda McCarry
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my 12th Book Review: Mog the Forgetful Cat
By: Judith Kerr

I received this book from my teacher and students as a present, and it is a wonderful book and beautifully written from the well known author of The Tiger Who Came To Tea. It is a story about a cat called Mog. It tells the story of a forgetful cat who is always getting into trouble. Mog lives with her family Mr Thomas, Mrs Thomas, Debbie and Nicky. Debbie the little girl in the story loves Mog but her father Mr Thomas isnt too keen
Nyla
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
‘Mog the Forgetful Cat’ written by Judith Kerr is a book I picked up randomly in the library. Mog is a forgetful cat which the Thomas family see as a nuisance as Mog is constantly unknowingly getting on the wrong side of people, except Debbie, who is the only exception. That is until she had a nightmare about a tiger wanting to eat her, only to find out that Mog had crept into her room! Mog’s forgetfulness is shown throughout the book in different circumstances and the reaction shown by the fami ...more
Stephen Barry
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mog the Forgetful Cat is a picture book written and illustrated by Judith Kerr. Mog lives with the Thomas family, Mr and Mrs Thomas and their children Nicky and Debbie. The story is based around Mog being unable to remember a number of things that would happen in the everyday life of a cat. For example, Mog would forget that the cat flap led out into the garden. Mr Thomas becomes frustrated with Mogs actions on numerous occasions, Nicky and Debbie however are more caring towards the cat. Mog bec ...more
Anna Nesterovich
I picked up this book because it was mentioned in Brief Candle in the Dark: My Life in Science by Richard Dawkins as something he was reading to his daughter. So I got curious.

The book wasn't in our library, so I asked for an interlibrary loan and, meanwhile, picked another book by the same author. I wish I hadn't.

Mog the Forgetful Cat on itself is not very bad, though it feels like something out-of-date. Not a book I would read to a kid now, but rather a book that my parents would listen to as
Emily
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Mog, a very brave but very forgetful cat!

'Mog the forgetful cat' is Judith Kerr's tale of a loveable cat who can't seem to do anything right! He lays in the wrong places, daydreams and seems to constantly be in the way of his unpatient and busy owners. However, when a burgular attempts to intrude into Mog's house, his brave and courageous reaction saves the day!

As a child this was my favourite short story of all time, I can remember reading my 'Mog' stories over and over. Mog is a l
Anjumanara
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Judith Kerr classic that can be enjoyed by all EYFS and year one children. Its about a forgetful cat who gets into trouble for being careless and forgetful. She forgets that she has a cat flap and she forgets that she has already eaten her supper. By the end of the evening everyone has had enough and all you hear is ‘bother that cat’ throughout the day by Mr and Mrs Thomas who are getting fed up. The children on the other hand, are amused by all the nuisence she causes. However, when a burgler ...more
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star
Probably one of my top five favourite books from my childhood. Mog reminded me of my first pet cat, and I remember laughing at all Mog's funny little adventures.

Mog is forgetful. She can't help it! She wants to please her family and get along with everyone. She occasionally likes a boiled egg for breakfast.

The father in the household is rather exasperated with Mog. "BOTHER THAT CAT!" Is his choice of phrase. I'm sure in real life, his language would be a lot more colourful..!

One night, the fam
Anne-Marie
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems to me that most people think The Tiger Who Came To Tea when they think of Judith Kerr, but it was always the Mog books for me. I love cats, we had a tabby cat, and I love how poor Mog accidentally saves the day in this story. Mog is such a lovable character in all her stories that I can’t bring myself to read Goodbye Mog (2002) as I know I’ll just sob the whole way through. Fortunately there are many more Mog books that I also haven’t read that I will get to share with my girls at some ...more
Kristina Masset
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This Childrens book was so dang cute! I would like to read more! But I hear it's hard to find copies of them?
Roxana Truţa
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Am râs.
Samantha Wolohan
Mog the Forgetful Cat by Judith Kerr is by far one of my most favourite children's books. This may possibly be because of the fact that my favourite characters are always cats! Poor Mog continues to get told off because of her absentminded behaviour. The story beautifully portrays Mog's personality similar to the mindset of a child. After a series of forgetful antics Mog 'accidently' saves the day!
I believe the way Mogs personality is portrayed makes us sympathetic towards her- she continuously
Portable
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've loved the books of Judith Kerr both as a child and as a teacher: beautiful, humorous illustrations and characters. While she is most famous for the perennially loved The Tiger Who Came to Tea, the Mog books were my favourite: I love them now even more because Mog is a great way of introducing growth mindset. She continually makes mistakes and causes trouble for her family, but her flaws are often what end up saving the day. Also, they are hilarious! Just wonderful.
Thabata
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Judith Kerr enchants us with “Mog, the forgetful cat”. Her illustration style was never better than while doing the Mog series. It is beautifully round, familiar and cozy. The cat is a beautiful one, the trait of forgetfulness an inventive delight! She is charming in her own messy adventure, a true hero by accident, who makes the reader long for more and more of those books. After reading this, you might as well long for a forgetful cat to call your own. It always gives me great joy to read a bo ...more
Dodie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, children-s
I came across this cute book because a friend took a picture with the book and her cat so I had to check out the book. Mog, gets herself into some situations where she hears “bother that cat” because she is so forgetful. Now, now don’t get to upset or worried about Mog. Of course Mog becomes a hero and saves the day and almost never again hears “bother that cat”. Cute book!
Georgia
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Published before I was born, the Mog stories are great to use in EYFS and year one. The illustrations and simple text layout make the story easy to follow and can be used as an independent or shared reading text.

• Slinky Malinki
  • Beegu
  • Alfie Gets in First
  • Little Old Mrs. Pepperpot
  • Old Bear
Judith Kerr was a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany with her parents and her brother, Michael, in 19

Mog the Forgetful Cat (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Mog's Christmas