Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly

Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly (Fancy Nancy)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  5,852 Ratings  ·  221 Reviews
Fancy Nancy thinks butterflies are simply exquisite. And that is why she can't wait for her friend Bree's Butterfly Birthday. It's going to be the fanciest birthday party ever!

But when Nancy finds out she can't go because her grandparents' fiftieth anniversary party is the same day, she is furious. (Mad is way too plain for how she feels.) How Nancy overcomes her disappoin
Published February 5th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Lisa Vegan
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fancy Nancy fans; fans of butterflies; anyone interested in a grandparents-grandchild story
This is a particularly good Fancy Nancy story. Nancy is thrilled when her friend Bree is about to have a butterfly themed birthday party, and Nancy even has a blue butterfly costume picked out to wear. Then she finds out she can’t attend the party because she needs to attend her grandparents’ 50th anniversary party. Nancy sulks and mourns, then she finds out her grandparents’ party is fancy too, and there is a butterfly surprise on that trip as well.

This is a lovely story re grandparents & g
Douglas Cootey
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
If I was underwhelmed by the second book in this series, this third book more than made up for it. The story was sweet, and taught a good message without being preachy, but Glasser's art stole the show. Nancy was a drama queen extraordinaire (that's French for "Wow, can Glasser draw!") The gestures and facial expressions of the main characters are exaggerated and melodramatic in a delightful manner, especially Nancy. When she didn't get her way, she slumped over a swing, and stormed around black ...more
Danielle Mootz
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This book is pretty stinking cute with beautiful illustrations. I like that that it dealt with a truly devestating thing for a kid but she learned about the most important thing -being with her family.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Much more than just a "butterfly" book... Nancy has to miss her friend's birthday party for a very different celebration. Shows how a young girl bonds with her family even after a disappointment.
Lily Elness
Awesome it made me love butterfly's.
Stef Rozitis
Ok on the good side it talks about validating feelings in a way that I think is pretty constructive (ie it doesn't try to minimize or repress how bad the child feels or censor her feelings). It also looks at the theme of not getting what you want which is a realistic theme in any child's life and cleverly points out that sometimes you get something better than you expected. That's where I begin to have mixed feelings.

Nancy is reconciled to missing her best friend's birthday because of externals-
Sally Linford
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Gentle Reader,
You won't believe this, but I have seven daughters--yes, seven--and we ALL adore Fancy Nancy.

The sparkley covers are enough to make any princess swoon, but the delightful writing (so few words on a page--thank you!) and spectacular illustrations make Fancy Nancy a DAILY ritual in our house.

In her latest adventure, Nancy is distraught when she finds out she'll have to miss her best friend's birthday party for her grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. O'Connor presents a delight
Crystal Marcos
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didn't think I would enjoy these books as much as I do. I was charmed by Fancy Nancy and enjoyed reading it with my daughter. She is 23 months and sat through this book and Fancy Nancy in a single reading session. I think I like this one even more then the first book of the series, because I think butterflies are beautiful. I learned a thing or two also. Such as what part of the body butterflies use to taste. Again, the author is very clever in teaching vocabulary.
Tc
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humorous
Another beautiful book from Jane O'Connor! Fancy Nancy again entertains us with her care-free spirit, and impressive accessorizing skills! This book offers more wonderful vocabulary like "iridescent and exceptional". It is about handling disappointment, and making the best of an unexpected situation. This book would be perfect for making text to self connections that can be discussed in class.
Ryan
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the Fancy Nancy books because they have all the sparkle and glitz of a girly girl, without it being a princess. Plus, they help build strong vocabulary. Even if most the words are synonyms for pretty. This time around Nancy has to miss her best friends butterfly themed birthday to attend her parents 50th anniversary party.
Bridget
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
very cute, but not quite as cute as the original fancy nancy or fancy nancy and the puppy...
Kathryn
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Fancy Nancy and butterflies
So cute! I like that the grandparents get a leading role and show Nancy a thing or two about being "fancy."
Alissa Cleveland
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic
1. Fancy Nancy thinks butterflies are exquisite and is ecstatic when her friend, Bree, decides to have a butterfly birthday. Although, Nancy cannot make it because she must attend her grandparent’s anniversary party. After sulking, scowling, and becoming furious, she realizes there are many elegant and fun things to do while visiting her grandparents, including a trip to a butterfly garden.

2. This is a cute book that I think many children would enjoy. Throughout the book, Nancy likes to speak in
Katie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a lover of all things French. I must admit the cover of this book grabbed my attention because of the glittery illustration (child, much? Haha). But the story itself was quite good and I think there would be some fancy little girls (or boys) that might enjoy this book very much. I liked the illustrations and that Nancy used 'fancy' words (exquisite is even fancier than beautiful). So there's some good vocabulary for children to learn in this, as well.

Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book is fun to read. The pictures are beautiful and my son loves to learn some french words in it. I also liked that he can learn some new vocabularies when reading this book. We borrowed this book from the library.
Carole
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
Fancy Nancy has her heart set on going to her friend Bree's birthday party, but her mother tells her that Nancy's grandparents' 50th anniversary party is the same day. Nancy is so upset that she won't talk to her mother and pouts. Things turn out much better than she thinks they will.
Rani
Nancy has to go for her #grandparents 50th #Wedding day celebrations and miss her friends birthday. Will Nancy have #fun? Great #Voice #YoungReaders #PictureBook #BookReview #ChildrensBooks #amreading #butterfly
Sarah Priest
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this are so cute! A very fun read about spending time with family.
Mara
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would be a great quick book to read to 5-6 year olds on Read Across America Day on March 2.
Jasmine
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-z, kiddie
Cute stuff. And Z seems to really like it too.
Danielle Di Silvestro
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the incorporation of French and I love the illustrations by Robin Preiss Glasser.
Samantha Grace
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Love the French vocabulary and fun language in these books!
Erik
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
More fun than the original and does a better job of teaching kids big words.
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Simple and fun with really busy illustrations.
Veronica
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Leslie
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I personally enjoyed Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly because it had a lot of the girly-girl features to it. It's about two best friends who plan a birthday party together, but then Nancy doesn't get to go. Although she doesn't get to go she has a great time with her grandparents. I enjoy books that express that girls are still allowed to be girls and love butterflies and dress up; probably because this is the type of book I was raised on.
After reading an article on Children's literature and ho
Paige Scott
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
Nancy loves butterflies, and when she finds out her friend Bree is having a butterfly themed birthday party, she is dying to go. She goes home and tells her mother about the birthday party, but she reminds her of her grandparent’s anniversary party. Nancy gets upset and is mad at her mother until she goes to the party and has a great time, and even gets to go to the zoo at the end with her grandparents to see the butterfly exhibit.

The grade level appropriateness for the book is Preschool-2nd gr
Chelsea
I love Fancy Nancy books. She is so a young girl, but she has so much spunk and wittiness about her that bother adults and kids love to read about her small adventures. Nancy and her best friend Bri absolutely adore butterflies and they are almost positively sure that they understand French. Fancy Nancy and Bri start planning Bri’s birthday party with the theme to be—butterflies! They can’t wait for the party, but suddenly Nancy’s mother remembers that they have to go to Grandma and Grandpa’s an ...more
Lauren Ivey
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I love how easily this book introduces AND explains new vocabulary to young readers! I also love the incorporation of a new language. French is used in this story because the main character enjoys speaking it. This is a different type of voice as well as multiple meaning is used as craft in this story. Bonjour is hello: I love how the author made sure to explain in the book what these words meant in English because she knew young readers might not know these new words or how to use them.
Nancy le
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
I've never read a Fancy Nancy book before this, so maybe the earlier ones are better but I didn't think this was all that great. The text has some funny parts, with Nancy pointing out fancy words for things.[return][return]But the text feels disingenuous in parts, like when Nancy says to her mom at the end: "I'm sorry for the way I behaved. I am ecstatic to be here."[return][return]Nancy herself is a passive character and doesn't take any action to solve her problem, which is that she can't atte ...more
  • Purplicious
  • Olivia Forms a Band
  • Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy
  • Alice The Fairy
  • Tea for Ruby
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Pirates Don't Change Diapers
  • If I Built a Car
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Madam President
  • Splat the Cat
  • Waking Beauty
  • Time to Say "Please"!
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Fancy Nancy Heart to Heart
  • Fancy Nancy's Elegant Easter
  • Fancy Nancy: Poet Extraordinaire!