Start by marking “Thick as Thieves” as Want to Read:
Thick as Thieves

Thick as Thieves

Ex-CIA Carr is the reluctant leader of an elite crew planning a robbery of such extraordinary proportions that it will leave them set for life. Diamonds, money laundering, and extortion go into a timed-to-the-minute scheme that unfurls across South America, Miami, and Grand Cayman Island. Carr's cohorts are seasoned pros, but they're wound drum-tight - months before, the m ...more
Audio CD
Published July 26th 2011 by Dreamscape Media (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Thick as Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thick as Thieves

Start your review of Thick as Thieves
James Thane
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Thick As Thieves is a densely plotted heist novel that locks you in quickly at the beginning of the story and then continues to ratchet up the tension as it races to a startling climax.

At the center of the story is an ex-CIA agent named Carr. He's the new leader of a small band of elite criminals who are planning a huge score. The mark is Curtis Prager, a former hedge fund manager who fell from grace and who now launders huge amounts of money for various criminal enterprises. Carr and company in
Leo
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, crime, thriller
Thick as Thieves is a slowly plotted novel that never fails to keep you interested and delivers one surprise after another. We start by getting to know Carr and his team of thieves, you are preparing one last big heist. Their target is scumbag Curtis Prager, a former wunderkind who now spends his time laundering money for more scumbags.
He is not going to be easy to get to, and on top of the job, Carr has his own problems within his team. Some of the members don't trust him as the new boss and h
Carol
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little backstory on this one if you’ll bear with me…

Peter Spiegelman lives in Connecticut. A few of our patrons have told me they really enjoyed his fast paced heist thriller, Thick As Thieves.

My mind begins to work. I’m looking for an author for our 4th Annual Connecticut Author Trail. Spiegelman’s from Connecticut. This author, this book sounds like a marriage made in heaven. Not so fast, CarolK. You’ve got to convince Mr. Spiegelman to visit. Well, that’s another story. Keep your fingers c
Darcia Helle
I love suspense and thrillers and Spiegelman's style of writing grabbed me right at the start. I wish I could say it held me throughout. The plot has a great premise and the characters came alive on the pages. But soon the flashbacks started and I was continually transported out of the immediacy of the story, as Carr lost himself in his past. A few of these flashbacks would have added substance. For me, the repetition far surpassed necessity and grew to be irritating.

The plot at times became a
Joe
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The author takes a break from his John March PI series with this stand-alone “heist caper”. Our hero, Carr, is the new leader of a high-end, professional and very skilled burglary team. These seasoned criminals target other criminals, which keeps this merry band of thieves outside the purview of law enforcement, but within the gun sights of their victims, who tend to take the law into their own hands.

The “team” is what you’d expect – some muscle, a techno wiz, a beautiful mysterious chameleon-l
Rita Hardy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Suspenseful plot with lots of surprises right up to the end. I would have liked to give this book a higher rating but found my interest and concern for the characters waning as the book progressed. The main character, Carr, supposedly a brilliant planner, seemed unbelievably naive considering his background and training. I also was not satisfied by the ending. Overall it could have been so much better.
Wanda
Aug 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Don't get it. This book was very well reviewed by a number of publications -- NYT, WSJ. So I ordered it from the library. It was so disappointing. There were a gazillion flash backs glued together by tedious descriptions and characters straight out of central casting. Think Ocean's Eleven. The heist scenes were fast paced, but otherwise the book was dreadfully boring.
Veeral

Never would have guessed that a crime caper novel could be this boring.
Larry H
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good crime novel keeps you guessing, keeps you questioning everything you read and wondering when the twists are going to come. And even better, a good crime novel delivers on the guesswork, leaves you wondering how you didn't see some of the twists coming, even if you might not be exactly happy with the ultimate outcome of the book. Peter Spiegelman's Thick as Thieves is definitely a good crime novel.

Carr is the leader of a group of thieves planning a gigantic heist, involving money launderin
John Sheridan
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Possible spoiler alert! I've enjoyed all Peter Spiegelman's books in the John March series which I would highly recommend by the way, this one took a bit longer for it to truly engage me. I think this was probably due to the first half of the book being a little slow moving and repetitive as Carr reminisces about his mother and Declan - the former leader of the criminal crew he now leads and probes the circumstances of his death while dealing with the deteriorating health of his father and how t ...more
Heidi
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book had been sitting on my "to read" shelf, both literally and figuratively, for months now. It surprised me for several reasons and yes, the comparisons to 'Ocean's Eleven' are somewhat deserved. 'Thick as Thieves' starts to distinguish itself very quickly as Carr, the lead character, tries to unravel why he's so nervous about an upcoming job. It will take you in many different directions and to many different destinations. Enjoy the ride.
Michael
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty good heist caper. Not as good as his Spiegelman's regular series, though. The final reveal left me a little cold, for spoiler-ish reasons I won't discuss. As always, great characters, and I love the way that Spiegelman incorporates family history into the narrative here as well. The plot is very Elmore Leonard, but the prose is much more conventional. Definitely worth reading, but if you're only going to read one Spiegelman I'd start with Black Maps.
Cloda
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good heist tale. It was slow to begin and I wanted more character development of the minor players. A lot was left to the reader's imagination, and not always in a good way. The end made up for the beginning and even though I somewhat guessed how it would end up, the ride there was satisfying enough.
Sam Thomas
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While Spiegelman's book gets off to a slow start, and initially it is hard to find any sympathy for its main characters, the book soon takes off, offering twists and turns that are both surprising and logical. An excellent thriller!
Richard White
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Great read! Enough said.
Lindsay
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adultfiction
I had a really hard time getting into this one. Disappointing.
Scott
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This proved to be an unexpectedly enjoyable noir-ish thriller about a unit of thieves who specialize in ripping off kingpin criminals. Like a Tom Clancy "techno-thriller" (whatever the heck that means), this caper globe hops from Miami to the Caribbean to South America as our thieves - a hacker, two muscle men, a femme fatale, and a failed intelligence officer - slowly weave their spiderweb to heist a moneylaunder par excellence who fields his own army of security specialists. Twists and turns a ...more
Sam Reaves
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Spiegelman writes smart, original thrillers steeped in contemporary issues and mores. According to his bio he worked in both finance and IT, which accounts for the air of insider savvy pervading his books.
This one focuses on an ex-CIA officer named Carr, who possesses an array of clandestine skills and an uncertain ethical compass. He has inherited the leadership of a crack team of professional thieves after the death of the group's founder in a disastrously botched heist in Argentina. Ban
Nabilla
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spiegelman started the plot quite slowly.. too slow for my liking... but as the plot builds, he managed to keep the tension going till the last page.. kept me gripping to my seat... overall this is a crazily awesome book. I will definitely find another book from Spiegelman!
Harris
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Pretty weak. Ran out of books so I felt compelled to finish. The ending made a a few interesting points. Not everything was tied up nicely, which I appreciated.
Wyckliffe Howland
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read with a GREAT ENDING!!
Sreypich Van
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Very compelling althought it's a bit slow for the first half of the book. It wasn't until it reached the climax that it began to capture me.
Marti Murray
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Where's this guy been hiding? Loved the pace, plot, characters -- all of it. Already for his next thriller. And, for once that word is correct.
Sherry Wheeler
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I was surprised by the ending
Kassandra
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
bunch of criminals plan a heist, things go wrong, etc. an entertaining read, with something of a twist at the end, but no great piece of literature. reminded me of the tv show "leverage"
Jennifer Myers
Didn't finish this book, in fact, only got about 10 chapters in. I like myself a good heist story, but this just felt too "dense" and detailed for me. Also, I have 4 books waiting at the library so I think I'm more anxious to get to those and just call it good with this one. I may pick it up later.
JodiP
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Reviewing this about 6 weeks after listening to it. It was an enjoyable caper, and I'd give this author another try, I think.
Tony
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I'm a sucker for heist movies and con artist movies, but don't tend to read their print brethren, there's something about the genre that just seems inherently visual. However, I was due for a little light reading and so I picked this heist novel up. It's about a gang of thieves whom we meet as they are starting on their grand finale -- the big job that will cap their careers, and see them all sail into the sunset, never to see each other again (hmm, never heard that one before!). Their MO is to ...more
Susan Grossey
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As ever, I read this book from the perspective of someone who spends her working hours battling money laundering. “Thick as Thieves” by Peter Spiegelman has as its hero Carr (like Morse, he never uses his first name), an ex-CIA man now working as the organiser for a gang of thieves. I enjoyed this finance-based thriller - lots of twists and turns, and enough back story about the hero to give him three dimensions.
Carr’s moral compass is a bit off-kilter, thanks in no small part to the influence o
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
This is the story of a gang of top notch criminals who are planning a major heist. They have worked together for a number of years. Their previous job went badly wrong and two of their members were killed, including their leader, Declan. Carr, a former CIA operative, has stepped into Declan's shoes and is co-ordinating the team for one final heist: a big job that will set them all up for retirement. However the team are restless, paranoid and don't necessarily like Carr. Carr himself is increasi ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Crime and Criminals of Victorian England
  • The Returning
  • The Worldly Philosophers
  • The Moldavian Pimp
  • Wings (Bromeliad Trilogy, #3)
  • Truckers: The First Book of the Nomes
  • Eagle Rising
  • If Only They Could Talk
  • Diggers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #2)
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Boston Noir
  • Storm Prey (Lucas Davenport, #20)
  • Small Town
  • A Zoo in My Luggage
  • The Old Man
  • Deacon King Kong
  • Amelia
  • IQ (IQ, #1)
Peter Spiegelman is a twenty-year veteran of the financial services and software industries. He retired in 2001 to devote himself to writing. He lives in Connecticut.