Start by marking “Trans/Love: Radical Sex, Love & Relationships Beyond the Gender Binary” as Want to Read:
Trans/Love: Radical Sex, Love & Relationships Beyond the Gender Binary

Trans/Love: Radical Sex, Love & Relationships Beyond the Gender Binary

"This is where sex and gender collide, then ricochet like fragments of heart rending shrapnel. Rarely has a book about lust been full of so much love, conflict, and intelligence. If you think you already know what's in these stories, or you think you don't need to know, you're wrong."—Patrick Califa, author of Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism

Exploring the crossr
Published October 11th 2011 by Manic D Press, Inc. (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Trans/Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans/Love

Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Often times books about genderqueer and transgender people focus on the negative things associated with being this type of different (as viewed by mainstream socitey) and/or on the process of transitioning itself. I really appreciated this book because it approached the subject in a completely different way. Among other things, this book really made me aware of how much we as a society gender sexual encounters, and how limiting that is. As a whole it was a joy to read, and ...more
Catherine
A beautiful book with a really great selection of essays that don't pretend life is all sunshine and roses but also isn't filled with tales of romantic despair.
estlin.
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the variety of perspectives offered in this book. I love that anthologies enable the ability to gather so many different points of view. In terms of language and viewpoints, this book has become somewhat dated (although some of the language used is even dated for when it was published), but I think it's somewhat important to respect and preserve the problematic aspects of this writing. Trans people are not perfect, like all people, they will always be problematic in some way. Ha ...more
emmy
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
I would recommend this book to someone looking to get sort of a 101-level introduction to what trans and gender non-conforming folks experience in relationships, but it was a little too basic and a little too conservative for me. The essays aren't written to be artistically engaging; it feels more informative than nourishing. I'm going to hold on to this book in order to be able to pass it on to someone else at some point, but it's not my favourite.
Kat Heatherington
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is 155 pages of awesome. it's first-person narratives by genderqueer & trans people, discussing love, relationships & sex. it's frank, funny, tender, vulnerable, tough, fierce, thought-provoking, heartbreaking, and heartwarming. there's a wide range of voices and writing styles. and enough raw human experience to keep you thinking and feeling long beyond turning the last page. an excellent collection.
Grace
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer, trans-gender
i'm not sure why but i wasn't really into this one. i was pretty surprised to find out it was written in 2011; i would have guessed the 90s. it just seemed like this was all stuff i'd already heard before and there wasn't really much contextualization beyond the stories the authors told. the terminology also seemed a bit outdated for 2011 in places.
Tanya
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Incredibly thought-provoking. I appreciated the honesty of the authors and the many contrasting views and experiencing. Each has their own unique experience of being trans and what that means for their sexuality, community, labeling, and relationships.
Squirrel
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Biggest note for potential readers: contains the trans t-slur
This collection feels dated and it's only from 8 years ago. The language used by the contributors is considered tacky and passé now: natal, genetic girl, female-bodied. It's a graveyard of dead terms, retired to be replaced by more neutral terms like cis.
This collection is like a who's who of trans life at the time, especially trans life in Brooklyn, in San Francisco, and other big cities.
Buried under that are so many different stories
Emrys
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book of first-person essays (and one the author calls fiction) about trans relationships. By and large the essays were awesome, though a few ended really abruptly.
Sarai Lillie
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in learning about Transgender people
Recommended to Sarai by: Random Amazon book choice
Shelves: own, owned-read
This book was so good in so many ways!

However, the reason I gave it a 4-star rating instead of 5, it was full of spelling and grammatical errors. Being a bit of a Grammar Nazi, this makes my reading less enjoyable.

Putting that aside, this was one of the best books I've read in quite some time. It was part poetry, part fiction, part non-fiction, part essay, part erotica, part romance, part gender study. Truly, it made me think about a lot of different things, not just about the book, but about my
Gwen
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: gender-issues
An interesting mix of essays by people who push gender boundaries. Some of the essays were incredibly well written (Julia Serano's comes to mind); others were less eloquent.

I had trouble with some of the terminology that was used. For example, I dislike the T-word intensely and wish everyone would stop using it; however a number of the authors used it extensively.

Overall it was good, but not great for me.
Karen
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel bad giving this a low rating, because I'm sure it's really meaningful to trans people, but I think it's value is all in the ways that readers might relate to it and not in the writing itself. It was mostly personal essays, without a narrative or other structural device. In particular, the 'I'm so lucky to have a great partner who loves me' essays were kind of boring
Archie Bongiovanni Archie Bongiovanni
An overall great collection of first-person stories, some better than others as in most anthologies. It was a refreshing to read about sex and love and relationships with/about/for genderqueer and trans bodies.
Dakota
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Though this book is frequently advertised as erotica, it actually contains far more self-reflexive narratives about sex, gender, sexuality, and transition often told through the lens of one's sexual and relationship history in the form of personal essays.
Zane Carey
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
a book I plan to reread and relive and even model my own gender musings off of
Katiuscia
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mind expanding and healing. Fabulous book and must read for anyone who identifies on Trans* spectrum or loves someone on that spectrum.
willowdog
Well written anthology by trans/love authors discussing sex, love, and romantic relationships. Very informative--really enjoyed it.
John
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism
  • Invisible Lives: The Erasure of Transsexual and Transgendered People
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • Why Are Faggots So Afraid of Faggots?: Flaming Challenges to Masculinity, Objectification, and the Desire to Conform
  • The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
  • Boys Like Her: Transfictions
  • Take Me There
  • The Testosterone Files: My Hormonal and Social Transformation from Female to Male
  • Not Gay: Sex Between Straight White Men
  • Transgender Warriors: Making History from Joan of Arc to Dennis Rodman
  • Normal Life: Administrative Violence, Critical Trans Politics and the Limits of Law
  • My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely
  • The First Man-Made Man: The Story of Two Sex Changes, One Love Affair, and a Twentieth-Century Medical Revolution
  • PoMoSexuals: Challenging Assumptions About Gender and Sexuality
  • Transgender Rights
  • GenderQueer: Voices From Beyond the Sexual Binary
  • Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer
  • Nina Here Nor There: My Journey Beyond Gender
"Morty Diamond is a Jewish transsexual writer/ artist/ filmmaker currently living and working in Los Angeles. Morty has edited two anthologies showcasing the trans experience from the perspective of transgender writers: From the Inside Out (Manic D Press) and the forthcoming Gendered Hearts (Alyson Press). Diamond also uses performance art to make gender and trans bodies visible in public spaces. ...more