Start by marking “A Penny Urned (Den of Antiquity, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Penny Urned (Den of Antiquity, #7)

A Penny Urned

(Den of Antiquity #7)

Pickled...Then Potted

All that remains of Lula Mae Wiggins-who drowned in a bathtub of cheap champagne on New Year's Eve-now sits in an alleged Etruscan urn in Savannah, Georgia. Further north, at the Den of Antiquity antique shop in Charlotte, North Carolina, plucky proprietor Abigail Timberlake is astonished to learn that she is the sole inheitor of the Wiggins estate. La
Published September 5th 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about A Penny Urned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Penny Urned

Elizabeth
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I took this book out because of the pun in the title. (I am just a sucker for that!) Although dated, I was around during the time period (haha) so I understood the references. The things I liked: Chapters went in order...the reader is not left hanging because the chapters follow each other; The ending was clever; The change of heart of the main character about the inheritance and who it should go to. The things that were questionable: Descriptions of attitudes of Southerners; The introduction of ...more
Kate
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’ve previously noted the author needs a better editor. In my used copy of this book, the previous reader marked the grammatical errors, so I am not the only one.

Now, to the book, if you were to believe this author, nearly every woman is incapable of having a conversation without launching into an irrelevant soliloquy about nothing. The author herself does also appear to be burdened by this because she too will go off the tracks at least once a chapter.

The story itself is fun, but not the leas
Helen
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Unfortunately this series is getting sillier, and I think I’m needing something with fewer puns etc.
Denise
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Abby finds herself in a murder case. After her mother takes a call in her name she goes to collect what has been left by a cousin, aunt...extened family memeber she only knew by stories. Traveling with her mother and two friends the story take a roller coaster ride of events where Abby learns that the vic was her aunt that was not spoken of because of a marriage the family disproved of. Along the way she meets step family members and a weird hotel clerk that has more to do than check people in. ...more
Doris
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
The set of women who whine, gripe, and can't keep their mouth shut about other people's business makes this book a barely okay read. I almost didn't finish it, but had to find out who got the moolah. And of course the not-so-innocent references to the other series by the same author, and the author herself, were eye rolling.

Speaking of which, the cast of this book do so much eye rolling I wonder if the eyes swell from the muscle building?

I have other books in the series, but don't plan to read
Nancy
Oct 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Another one I have kept for years after the first read. I must have been comatose.

The best part of the book is an almost 50-year-old (& proud of it) as the main female character. On the down side, this almost 50-year-old talks "baby" talk to her cat; "my snuggle bunny will be back in his own widdle bed." YECK. My cats would leave home if I dared.

The characters believe they are much funnier than this reader does.
Grey853
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy, mystery
I found the book a bit outlandish and more screwball than cozy. The situations and characters were over the top and I had a hard time finishing it. The main character in particular was extremely rude, but so were her friends and mother, so there you go.

ChrisGA
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-read-2014
This was fun--silly in places but fun. I enjoy this series much more than I did the PennDutch series by this author. It doesn't have all the repetitive descriptions and jokes that plagued the PennDutch series, and I enjoy the characters a little better. Intriguing twists and turns
VJ
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Quite hilarious. This one had me laughing. I've gotten to where I can ignore all the dumb stuff and just enjoy the stories.

Now I want to read the next one to see if they talk about stuff that happened at the end of this book.
Connie
Jun 17, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
A
Mary Newcomb
Abby Timberlake, and her erstwhile entourage, heads to Savannah to look into a mysterious bequest. Nothing goes as planned but somehow it all ends very well!
Cindy
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tamar-myers
Tkhis was not great. There wasn't the usual amount of antique info and the characters all seemed to flunder a bit. Not one of the best I have read in this series.
Debbie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
These books are just silly, but always a fun read.
Susan
Jan 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor, mystery
Not the best of her works. I thought it was rather silly. There wasn't a real plot and you couldn't work out the "crime" for yourself.
Dolly
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: mystery, 2002, other-usa
For those who love mysteries...
Kerry
Jun 30, 2008
Glenda Bixler
Aug 24, 2008
Mary
Mar 05, 2019
Samantha
rated it did not like it
May 31, 2012
Brenda Kirton
Nov 25, 2011
Sheila
Aug 16, 2009

• A Midsummer Night's Scream (Jane Jeffry, #15)
  • Antiques Bizarre (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #4)
  • Murder by the Glass (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Bell, Cook, and Candle (Angie Amalfi, #9)
  • The Telltale Turtle (Pet Psychic Mystery #1)
  • Triple Shot (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #7)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Lye (Soapmaking Mystery #1)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • A Nose for Hanky Panky (A Granite Cove Mystery, #1 )
  • Hide & Snoop (An Odelia Grey  mystery, #7)
Tamar Myers was born and raised in the Belgian Congo (now just the Congo). Her parents were missionaries to a tribe which, at that time, were known as headhunters and used human skulls for drinking cups. Hers was the first white family ever to peacefully coexist with the tribe, and Tamar grew up fluent in the local trade language. Because of her pale blue eyes, Tamar’s nickname was Ugly Eyes.

Tamar

Den of Antiquity (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Larceny and Old Lace (Den of Antiquity, #1)
  • Gilt by Association (Den of Antiquity, #2)
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • So Faux, So Good (Den of Antiquity, #4)
  • Baroque and Desperate (Den of Antiquity, #5)
  • Estate of Mind (Den of Antiquity, #6)
  • Nightmare in Shining Armor (Den of Antiquity, #8)
  • Splendor in the Glass (Den of Antiquity, #9)
  • Tiles and Tribulations (Den of Antiquity Mystery, #10)
  • Statue of Limitations (Den of Antiquity, #11)