Start by marking “La Mejor Mascota” as Want to Read:
La Mejor Mascota

La Mejor Mascota

This boy-wants-dog story with a twist is both snappy and endearing. The little boy's mother won't let him have a dog. Dogs are too messy and too loud. But she says he can have a dragon for a pet&150if he can find one. Enter the coolest&150but naughtiest&150pet ever. The dragon is messier and louder than any dog. And he will not leave. How will the boy ever get ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Fondo de Cultura Economica USA (first published 2004)

Kathryn
Aug 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

I loved almost everything about this book! The illustrations are absolutely wonderful; they have a retro '50s feel while also managing to be very hip (in one illustration, the mom appears to be doing yoga or something). The little boy is just so darn cute and earnest in his desire for a dog and is always dismissed; so, while I can't quite say I condone his methods for getting one, I must say I couldn't exactly blame him, either. The escapades with the pet dragon are a hoot! I'm sure thi
Lisa Vegan
Aug 26, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like dogs, or dragons; kids who love their companion animals
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Charming! Very amusing!

This one grabbed me from the cover illustration and kept me riveted all the way through.

This story had me chortling all the way through it. It’s a very funny story about a very roundabout way for a young boy to convince mom that a dog is the best pet of all.

My favorite scene had to be the spaghetti in the bathtub, and also the playing with but not putting away toys, but every page of text and its illustration were funny and beautifully moved along the story.

Unfortunately,
Katya Vinogradova
This is a wonderful, imaginative book with beautiful illustrations.
The plot is a devious one - a boy desperately tries to convince his mother to get him a dog, but to no avail. She lets him have another pet, though, and he asks for a dragon. Little does mom know that this is a particularly irritating dragon and there's only one creature who can get rid of him. Can you guess who?
Our school library had the privilege of welcoming David LaRochelle who delighted us with his presentation about writer'
Heidi-Marie
Saw this in passing the bookshelf and had to read another book with a dragon for a pet, especially if LaRochelle wrote it. The pictures for this book are adorable. The story was fun with a humorous ending. I think the preschool kids would enjoy this in a storytime. May have to make them look close at the end so they can see the humor part--and for the younger may have to explain, but I still think they'll like it.

12/7/16 Used as opener in preschool "Silliness" theme. I did have to stop and expla
Fjóla
Very cute, and tongue-in-cheek. If you like the retro style of illustrations, you might also want to check out Chris Van Dusen and his If I Built a House and If I Built a Car, among others.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A clever boy wants a pet dog but his mom says no. After a few days, the boy asks his mom for a dragon. She agrees but soon regrets it. Can a pet dog be the solution to her dragon woes?

Clever story with illustrations resembling 1960s sitcoms.
Angela
Jun 07, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The Best Pet (BOOK) of All! My favorite in the kid-wants-a-pet genre of picture books. Full review to follow at www.my3books.com later this month (June 2011).
Sarah Cho
Jun 07, 2017 Sarah Cho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picure-books
Judy Desetti
A small boy wants to get a dog for a pet, his mother says no. But his mom tells him if he finds a dragon he can keep it. So the boy goes looking for a dragon until finally he finds one. Eventually mother realizes how much nicer a dog would be. A funny story that kindergarten will love to hear.

Recommend
Anna
Jul 22, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent children's books. Loved the retro illustrations. Loved the story. And I loved that the little boy eventually got his dog. They really are the best pets :) I loved the dragon's jerk behavior and I love that it wasn't necessarily a story about imagination. Super fun.
May 23, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything is relative: hilarious!
Cat
May 12, 2017 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was fun! Love the way the little boy gets his dog! Illustrations are great; they look so retro!
Diane
Jun 13, 2017 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the retro look of the illustrations.
Apr 22, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janine Weston
The Best Pet of All by David LaRochelle, Illustrated by Hanako Wakiyama

Let's take a survey...
Raise your hand if you have a pet at home.
How many have dogs?
How many have cats?
How many have fish?
How many have dragons? Nobody? Anybody think they would want a dragon for a pet?

In The Best Pet of All by David LaRochelle, we meet a young boy who wants a dog more than anything...

On Monday, I asked my mother if I could have a dog.
"A dog is a good pet," I said.
"No," she said. "Dogs are too MESSY."

On Tuesda
Matthew
Apr 06, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing book. If you haven't read it, give it a shot. The story is about a little boy who wants a dog. Now, that in itself isn't too unusual for a children's book. However, the roundabout method he employs to convince his mother that he should have a dog sets this story apart from the rest of the pack. He gets a dragon instead, since his mother doesn't take him seriously when he asks for one after his dog requests are denied. He brings home the dragon, who turns out to be a rather ill-suited hou ...more
Book Concierge
A child who REALLY wants something, will find an inventive way around any argument a parent presents against whatever it is the child wants.

“On Monday I asked my mother if I could have a dog.” Thus begins one boy’s quest to get his dream pet. But his mother refuses again and again. A dog is too messy or too loud. So the boy asks for a dragon. Mom says if he can find one, he can have one. After searching in the park, on the beach, even at the zoo, he finds the dragon in the drugstore, “wearing d
Karen
Jul 16, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book! The story is great: repetitive without being annoying; funny -- the dragon eats spaghetti in the bathtub and roasts hot dogs in the living room, but the illustrations make this book buy-worthy.

Hanako Wakiyama is great at capturing a retro feel that is somehow modern. Mom is this book is so stylish. (I love that. Frumpy moms in illustrations depress me.) Yet, she seems relate-able to those without her slim physique and fun clothes. The little boy is adorable, and often pictured
Amber Fisher
A super cute fictional story about a young boy that wants a dog. He tries to convince his mother that a dog is a great pet, but she doesn't want a dog because she finds them loud and messy. The boy asks if he could have a dragon then and his mother said yes. Once the boy got the dragon he didn't end up liking him because he didn't help with chores and made big messes. The mother and the boy got tired of having the dragon around and asked the dragon to leave, he wouldn't. So, they got a dog to sc ...more
Cindy Minnich
Jul 03, 2014 Cindy Minnich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jr Librarian picked this one for me to read - in part because we're lobbying for a new dog. That and there is a DRAGON in this book! The dragon was pretty cool at first, but I don't think I needed to read too far to see that the dragon was not going to be an ideal pet. Poor mom for getting caught on a technicality - she probably should've put her for down before the dragon ever got there. My son and I giggled over the pictures and laughed at the story - even if I do worry that he might have been ...more
Malissa
Christen
A story about a boy who wants a dog and uses the help of a dragon to get one.

The scheming is just subtle enough to let me trick the kids til the second to last page. Used for writer's workshop to introduce problem solving to the kids.
Lindsey
A little boy desperately wants a dog, but his mom says no. He then asks for a dragon and she said if he could find one, he could have one. He finds one and brings him home, only to find that he is messy and is a nuisance. The mother wants to get rid of him a.s.a.p. so the boy talks her into getting a dog to scare the dragon away.

The illustrations are so cute and funny. This book had me smiling from page to page. I like how at the end it showed the dragon giving the boy a thumbs up showing that
Mary
This is the story of a little boy who tries desperately to convince his mother that they should get a dog. At first, she says no to every reason he can think to give her. Then, he tries a different tactic...he asks his mother if they can have a dragon for a pet. But a dragon isn’t as great a pet as they expect it to be! Luckily, dragons hate dogs...so they are finally allowed to get a dog--and they all live happily ever after. The pictures are great--and the story is one that many children exper ...more
Breana Fitzgerald
This book is great for children of all ages. It has great illustrations and can really make a child's imagination wonder. After his mother told him that he may not get a dog for a pet a number of time he then decides to ask for a dragon. The dragon then causes havoc in the house, and will go away only by a dog. This story is good for asking children how the boy came up with a strategy to get his dog in the end.
Ginger
Aug 18, 2013 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The picture of the dragon in the bathtub full of spaghetti and meatballs is the highlight of this story for me. Some nice storytelling embedded in the visuals (it's only in the pictures, not the text, that you realize the boy has enlisted the dragon in his scheme to get a dog). My favorite picture book scripted by David LaRochelle is still The End, but this one was quite nice. I liked it slightly better than my listeners, though it did engage them. (I'd say it's a 3.5 for them, a 4 for me?)
Dolly
Mar 02, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about a little boy who really wants a dog. He finds a really unusual way to convince his mom that, indeed, a dog would be the best pet for them. He employs a bit of reverse psychology and our girls were sure to point it out. The illustrations have a very retro feel to them, and I must admit that I loved the mother's clothes and sense of style. It's a bit of a bizarre story, but we really enjoyed reading it together.
Mindy
Cute picture book about a boy who finds a clever way to trick his mom into letting him have a dog. My 5yo didn't pick up on the subtext in the illustrations on her own, and we ended up having a conversation about why the boy and the dragon were giving each other the thumbs up in one of the pictures. I liked the understated humor and the retro illustrations. 5yo liked the dragon and the happy ending. It's a winner.
Skye Kilaen
May 06, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This kiddo’s mom probably thought she was pretty clever, shutting down the constant requests for a pet by saying a pet dragon would be fine… if the kid could find one. Then he did. And it turns out dragons are terrible pets! Or are they? Loved this tale of an ingenious kid getting what he wants. (And Mama realizes it’s actually just fine.) The art is a modern homage to old-school picture book style, as if it’s set in the 50s, very cute.
Maria
In effort to convince his mother to let him get a dog, the little boy in this book invites a dragon home to play with his toys.

Why I picked this book up: I always wanted a pet dragon, and I would have loved to find a dragon and bring him home.

Why I finished it: I loved the illustrations in this story... the mom was great. Fun book, but I have to admit that I would prefer a dragon to a dog.
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • I'm a Shark
  • Posy
  • Willoughby & The Lion
  • Banana
  • Crictor
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • The Gunniwolf
  • Saving Sweetness
  • Flossie and the Fox
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • What! Cried Granny
  • 999 Tadpoles
  • Chowder (A Chowder Book)
  • Clip-Clop