Start by marking “Maus” as Want to Read:
Maus

Maus (Maus #1-2)

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  88,154 Ratings  ·  4,956 Reviews
"La verdad es que Maus es un libro que uno no puede dejar, ni siquiera para dormir. Cuando dos de los ratones hablan de amor, te conmueve; cuando sufren, lloras. Poco a poco, a través de este relato compuesto de sufrimeinto, humor y los desafíos cotidianos de la vida, uno queda atrapado por el lenguaje de una antigua familia del Este de Europa y es arrastrado por su ritmo ...more
Published 2009 by Círculo de Lectores (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Maus, please sign up.

Ville-markus Nevalainen I do believe that Maus is something that everyone should read - the way it explores the holocaust is so real. It being a graphic novel and having…moreI do believe that Maus is something that everyone should read - the way it explores the holocaust is so real. It being a graphic novel and having animal characters might push some people away at first, but these elements are what truly create the story.

However, would like to point out that your dates are wrong. Part one was published 1986, part two 1991. It won the Pulitzer in 1992 and the complete edition was published in 1997. (Though these details do not matter that much.)(less)
Edouard Stenger Yes. Yes. And Yes. This book is an essential read.

Lisa
oh my god.

description

This burrowed it's way deep into my heart. This made me feel so much. This was an experience, not just a "read". This was real and I can't even explain how this affected me because it was the most emotional thing I've ever read. Not made-up emotion. This was REAL and it affected me.

Vladek. He reminded me of my Grandfather, a little. I loved my Grandfather and I loved Vladek. His story, as told to his son Art Spiegelman, was one of the most powerful stories I've ever experienced.

This w
Raeleen Lemay
The art style was a bit distracting at times, but I really enjoyed this!
Alejandro
Wonderful example of the power of a graphic novel!

This is the “Complete” edition of “Maus: A Survivor’s Tale” collecting both parts: “My Father Bleeds History” and “And Here My Troubles Began”.

OF MAUS AND MEN

But these damn bugs are eating me alive!

While it took long time of finally reading Maus, I knew that it was a graphic novel referring about the Jew Holocaust, but using mice (Jews) and cats (Nazis) as the characters, and even while I was sure that it will be a crude telling, I didn’t e
Steve
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It didn’t dawn on me until later that this brilliant piece of graphic artistry and fiction is actually a very clever allegory. On the face of it, we’re led to believe that it’s a story of the terrible suffering perpetrated by the Nazis against the Jews in Poland and throughout Europe. But if you scratch beneath the surface, I think you’ll find that this particular holocaust story was made to symbolize something more pervasive and endemic. I speak of the horrific violence that persists to this da ...more
Councillor
Until just a few weeks ago, the only reason for why I read graphic novels now and then was because of people's constant recommendations about the beauty and the value of those kinds of books. I will be honest; I am guilty of never believing those words. Most likely did I read graphic novels which didn't suit my personal tastes, but Art Spiegelman was capable of shattering my expectations and completely stunning me with the art of his writing and his illustrations.

But let's start at the beginning
orsodimondo
MAI PIÙ JAMAIS PLUS NEVER AGAIN
Un bellissimo fumetto?
Uno splendido romanzo?
E perché non un ottimo film?
(In fondo le dimensioni delle vignette di Spiegelman fanno davvero venire in mente i fotogrammi di un film 35 mm).

description

I nazisti descrivevano gli ebrei come immondi parassiti, portatori di peste e corruzione, che invadono l’Europa (qualcuno adesso prova a usare la stessa immagine per chi arriva d’oltremare): Spiegelman disegna gli ebrei come topi, i nazisti come gatti, i polacchi come maiali.
Anim
F
I loved this.
Harsh brutality of WW2.
Loved the drawings, the black & white and the jumping back and forth between time.
Nina Rapsodia
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo
Recommended to Nina by: Nadie
Reseñar Maus supone una de las experiencias más gratificantes de mi vida porque es el segundo libro en 2015 al que le doy la nota máxima. Pues verán, desde hace muchos años siempre he sentido profunda fascinación por los temas históricos y sobre todo en torno a la segunda guerra mundial. Es un tema recurrente en mis lecturas y siempre me gusta aprender cosas nuevas sobre esta época terrible de la humanidad. Así que cuando conocí esta obra sabía que debía leerla en algún punto de mi vida y gracia ...more
LeeAnne
The Complete Maus
Art Spiegelman

Probably the most informative and intimate journal of the holocaust I have ever read.

Maus is really two parallel stories, not one. It jumps back and forth between the two stories, one set in the past (Poland), the other set in the present (NYC).

Story 1: 1940’s Poland: Vladek Spiegelman tells how he survived the holocaust as a Polish-Jew. From the invasion, to the spread of Naziam, to his time in Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp as a tin worker at the gas cha
Emer
I never knew that a graphic novel could be so moving, so haunting and so phenomenally powerful.

The complete Maus tells the tale of Hitler's Europe and the experiences of one Jewish man, the author/illustrator Art Spiegelman's father Vladek. It is a book that doesn't hold any punches and is jaw dropping in its exploration of humanity through both the atrocities and ethnic cleansing of that time and of how this moulds a man forever.

I don't have the words to fully express all I'm feeling right no
Kat Kennedy
Bettie☯

Art Spiegelman warns of 'dangerous' outcome as Russian shops ban Maus

This has been on my wishlist forever -looks like this is a good time to read it.
"My father pulled out 14 of his teeth to escape. If you missed 12 teeth they let you go."
- page 45, book I

"The guards, it was Jews with big sticks, they acted so, just like the Germans"
- page 106, book I

Leah
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE COMPLETE MAUS is, to date, the hardest, most emotionally draining novel I have read in my adult life. It was a heart-wrenching, but really necessary read for me, and I’m proud of myself for deciding to read something so far outside my comfort zone (I tend to shy away from both history and memoir/true story novels).

The book is a story within a story. Art shows himself interviewing his father, Vladek, and his time spent with his father for part of this book, and the rest of the story is Vladek
Michelle
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: non-fiction
Pantelis
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book makes you a better reader and gives you a chance to become a better human being.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
One of the most influential literary works ever...in or out of comics.
Praj
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where should I commence to appraise this book? Must I begin from the detail that MAUS is a gratifying story of Vladek and Art OR that it is a sheer enlightenment through simplicity?

Art Spiegelman in this astounding graphic novel reveals a fractured father-son relationship whilst focusing on the perils of the Holocaust. The story is set in Rego Park, NY where Art Spiegelman, a cartoonist tries to verbalize and grasp with his father and the Holocaust.

Written over a period of thirteen years, MAUS
Megan
Books I read rarely affect my emotions when I'm not reading it. A book can pull me every which way, make me feel horrified or saddened or joyful, but when I put it down, I'm in the same mood I was before I started reading it. Only occasionally can a book get under my skin, and Maus is one of them. I was actually happy to finish it, because I didn't like the way it was making me feel: anxious, upset, unhappy. And I've read Holocaust stuff before. It's not new. Something about the way Spiegelman c ...more
Teresa
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e5, n-suecia, g-bd, z-gh
"Samuel Beckett disse uma vez: «Cada palavra é como uma mancha desnecessária no silêncio e no nada».
Mas, por outro lado, ele teve de o DIZER."
"quantos livros já foram escritos sobre o Holocausto. Para quê? As pessoas não mudaram... Talvez precisem de um Holocausto novo e maior."
"muitas empresas que prosperaram durante o regime nazi são hoje mais ricas do que nunca. Não sei... Talvez TODA A GENTE tenha de se sentir culpada. TODA A GENTE! PARA SEMPRE!"

Em 2014 tentei ler Maus e desisti; porqu
Rebecca Foster
“To die, it’s easy…but you have to struggle for life!” The only graphic novel to win the Pulitzer Prize, this brings the Holocaust home in a fresh way. Like Animal Farm, it uses the conceit of various animal associations: the Jews are mice, Poles are pigs, Nazis are cats, and Americans are dogs. Spiegelman draws what, from a distance of decades, his Polish father Vladek narrates about his almost unbelievable series of escapes, including time in Auschwitz. It’s often the minor stories that really ...more
Antonio
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo
Recommended to Antonio by: Nadie
Reto 12 libros - 12 meses del grupo Sangre de tinta
Noviembre: Una Novela gráfica

No deja de sorprenderme como las historias que muestran las mas grandes crueldades, son a veces las mas realistas, las mas humanas.

La historia quizás les sea familiar, Judíos, Segunda guerra mundial, Alemanes, campos de concentración, Polacos, y Estadounidenses; Maus nos relata la historia biográfica de de Vladek Spiegelman, con el giro de ser contada a través de los dibujos de su hijo Art en el formato del Cómic,
Arnie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
When I was a kid I read comic books (mostly Superman). The Maus books are the only graphic novels I've read and I consider them masterpieces (Mausterpieces?). Like Spiegelman's alter ego, I was a middle class child growing up in Queens (NYC), the son of Holocaust survivors and couldn't communicate with my father when I was growing up. He got it down perfectly. It was spot on and ranks among the best of Holocaust related literature.
diegomarcapaginas
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
Una maravilla de cómic que refleja la vida y las experiencias de un judío polaco en el holocausto nazi. Lo mejor sin duda son los flashbacks y la crudeza de la historia. Art hizo un gran trabajo visibilizando y dándo alma a un acontecimiento histórico que aún hoy en día levanta ampollas.
Sue
This was an amazing read.

This was so good. I've known about it for a long time but somehow never sought it out. Maybe it was a bias against graphic novels? Not sure. I'm so glad I finally read it. This is a picture of human strength and frailty, humane and savage behavior, done in a novel way that seems to make it even more immediate and real.
Mia Nauca
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó, la mejor novela gráfica que he leído en mi vida. Cruda y sentimental a la vez.
Kirk
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was our second book in the local library's discussion of Jewish graphic novels. It is, of course, the most famous and most celebrated exemplar of the genre (if you don't count the superhero stuff). What is amazing about the book is the emotional resonance Spiegelman manages to pack into his panels. In telling the story of his father's experience in the Holocaust, the author refuses to sentimentalize or pander. The most striking innovation is the use of mice for Jews, an appropriation of the ...more
Wanda
If this book hadn’t been a selection for my book club in January, I would never have picked it up. Not because I’m a snob about graphic novels—I think they are legitimate form of literature and very enjoyable to boot. But I might have avoided Maus because of the subject matter—I haven’t read very much about the holocaust and that is by choice. I guess I’m a chicken, but I hate exploring just how terribly we can treat one another. I haven’t yet read Romeo Dallaire’s book about the Rwandan genocid ...more
Alexander Ayala
Historias como estas, que solo buscan contar algo que sucedió y terminan marcando y gustando demasiado.
Anita Vela
Reseña completa: http://anitavelabooks.blogspot.com.es...

Maus es una novela gráfica basada en hechos reales y que nos cuenta como una familia judía vivió el holocausto nazi. No es una historia fácil de leer, es dura, pero merece mucho la pena. En el blog os cuento más: http://anitavelabooks.blogspot.com.es...

Filipa
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Será que quer dizer alguma coisa sobre a minha pessoa o facto de adorar livros sobre o Holocausto?

Já li alguns livros sobre o Holocausto e segunda guerra mundial. São sempre livros que adoro e ainda mais quando são histórias a relatar acontecimentos que realmente aconteceram.
Penso que o primeiro de todos foi "O diário de Anne Frank" que li... e reli... e reli... e reli...

Desde aí que de vez em quando, gosto de dar um pulo para dentro de histórias do género.
O último livro fenomenal que li do tema
Play Book Tag: The Complete Maus / Art Spiegelman - 3*** 3 12 Oct 06, 2017 02:51PM
Hitler 1 2 Oct 02, 2017 02:00PM
Graphic Novel Rea...: * 2nd Non-superhero Graphic Novel Discussion: Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman 3 66 Jul 21, 2017 01:15PM
Play Book Tag: The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman 3 stars 6 22 May 11, 2017 12:47PM
NOMS Maus 17: Conflict 21 25 Apr 12, 2017 08:35AM
NOMS Maus 17: Four Roles 23 25 Apr 08, 2017 01:36PM
Around the Year i...: Maus, by Art Spiegelman 9 44 Feb 18, 2017 10:18PM
  • Palestine
  • The Complete Persepolis
  • Berlin, Vol. 1: City of Stones
  • The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue (The Contract With God Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope
  • LMVDM. La mia vita disegnata male
  • Quartier lointain
  • Kiki de Montparnasse
  • Our Cancer Year
Art Spiegelman (born Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev) is New-York-based comics artist, editor, and advocate for the medium of comics, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning comic memoir, Maus.
More about Art Spiegelman...

Maus (2 books)
  • Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (Maus, #1)
  • Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began (Maus, #2)
“Sometimes I don't feel like a functioning adult” 53 likes