Start by marking “Three Hands for Scorpio” as Want to Read:
Three Hands for Scorpio

Three Hands for Scorpio

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Andre Norton, the celebrated author of Witch World and many other fantasy adventures, offers a new novel unique among her works, set in a realm not dissimilar to northern England in the sixteenth century.

Drucilla, Sabina, and Tamara, identical sisters born to Desmond, Earl of Skorpys, understand the price of being princesses in a realm bordered by fractious neighbors. Fo
Published January 15th 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Three Hands for Scorpio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Hands for Scorpio

Nona King
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was the last fantasy novel written by my favorite author of all time: Andre Norton. Called the Grand Dame of Fantasy, she has always amazed me at her ability to draw you in to the character's world. It is no surprise, then, that even at the age of 93 she was able to pen this fantastic adventure. It kept my interest, and I was hard-pressed to find time to do other things! I had to keep reading!

I hope that one day I write a story as well as she did.
Susan Kite
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
While this story isn't as good as Norton's sci fi in her golden years, I can only hope I am able to still come up with stories when I am 93. The switching between characters was confusing at times, and the plot was choppy occasionally, too, but not enough for me to lay the story down. Only Norton could still tell a good story while almost at death's door.
Shazza Maddog
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Rebecca Harwell
Jul 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: summer-2012
I have to admit that I really didn't like this book.

The idea sounded really cool. I hadn't read any Andre Norton before, but since she's one of the preeminent fantasy writers of all time, I wanted to give her a try. However, it turns out Three Hands for Scorpio was her final book, written when she was well into her nineties. If this novel had been written by a debut writer, there's no way it would have gotten published.

I spent most of this book confused. The story was told in the alternating poi
May 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
This story was a bit strange, and written in first person with a sort of old-fashioned tone.

Identical triplet sisters who are born to nobility and have inherited a gift of power are kidnapped and dumped into the Dismals, a land that is unlike anything anyone has ever seen before.

The Dismals are filled with strange creatures--giant spiders, red-furred felines who have rudimentary telepathy, and the remnants of an ancient race.

The sisters Drucilla, Sabina, and Tamara are very close and are neve
Unwisely
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wtf, fantasy, ya, 2013
While I know Norton is a SF writer, I am not sure I could name another book. This was another "hey, you're snowed in!" book. Except I ended up hauling it home.

I wasn't really sure if this was supposed to be a young adult novel or not. I'm going with yes, because there was no character development, but I'm honestly not sure. It kind of reminded me of that particular old style SF novel, when they seemed to confuse "describing strange things" with "telling an interesting story".

Because, OMG. Stuff
Dan
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, fantasy
Some books awe with their breadth and scope. Others are finely crafted, paying attention to detail and art. This is one of the latter.

The story structure itself is masterful: there are no unnecessary, self-serving, experimental or pompous passages anywhere. Everything has its place and its pace, and it all fits together beautifully. Tension and resolution feel perfectly balanced.

What this book lacks is characters I actually care about. The three main characters do change somewhat during the stor
Emily
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, girls
Eh. I didn't like this all that much. I found the language very stilted, and even though there were three first-person narrators of the story, I didn't feel like I really knew any of them. The world where the characters lived was pretty interesting - magic was an inborn talent of some people, as well as a natural force. There was a land called the Dismals where giant insects terrorized the people, and a graveyard filled with spirits in clay jars.

The three hands of the title are the teenage siste
Ryan Mishap
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Crikey, she's got a lot of books. Anyhow, this was one of those impulsive grocery store buys where I just had to have a fantasy novel to read because all the books at home were too serious. Should've saved my money, i guess.
Anyway, triplet young princesses of a lesser ruler have some magic, but it doesn't keep them from being kidnapped. Then they are dumped into an, I think, underground no-man's-land where strange beasties dwell--and possibly the lost heir to the empire, but he's kind of not s
Dan Smyth
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Couldn't really get into this one. It's written in old-world english and is told in a first-person perspective of each of three twins that constantly refer to the group of them as doing something. It was pretty confusing as to who was talking when, and I found that it really didn't matter, as they were all essentially the same person/character. Only got about halfway through the book before I had to put it down. Well written, sure, but not really any story per se. The three girls get put into a ...more
Doris
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This book had a marvelous storyline about triplet princesses with magical talents.It had a great premise - kidnap, burgeoning Talent, a lost prince/kingling, and an unexplored world.

The only thing it didn't have was that magical touch that Andre Norton brought to her work. This book was completed by the estate of Andre Norton, and it shows. This ghost writer needs to rest in his/her grave and leave the works of the Master alone!
Sj
Nov 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one. ever.
this book was so terrible. i almost made it to chapter seven, so i kind of wonder what happened to the triplets in the Dismals, but not enough to read anymore. such a stupid book! andre norton is awesome, but erratic. she's so prolific the books can't be good all the time.
Craig
Sep 08, 2011 added it
This is a rarity for me. I didn't finish this one. 115 pages in and just could not get into it. I almost never abandon a book once I start it. And Andre Norton is an all time favorite. This book though, I simply found boring.
colleen
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
not as good as I remembered Andre Norton's books......kinda slow, actually
Michelle
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
I got bored and didn't finish it.
Heather
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I kept hoping that some type of interesting romantic relationship would happen with at least one of the characters but I got to the end and nothing plus a pretty slow read
Melody
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • True Blood (True #1)
  • If Wishes Were Horses
  • A Wizard in Peace (Rogue Wizard, #5)
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • Impossible Places
  • Castle of Deception (Bard's Tale, #1)
  • Jerlayne
  • Magicians of Quality (Cecelia & Kate, #1-2)
  • The Descent of Anansi
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...