Start by marking “Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces” as Want to Read:
Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces

Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
The craft of writing offers countless potential problems: The story is too long; the story's too short; revising presents a huge hurdle; writer's block is rearing its ugly head.

In HELP! FOR WRITERS, Roy Peter Clark presents an "owner's manual" for writers, outlining the seven steps of the writing process, and addressing the 21 most urgent problems that writers face. In hi
Published September 21st 2011 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Help! For Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help! For Writers

Alexandria Nicole
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guides, nonfiction, gift
This book wasn't the best book I've ever read about writing, which I've only read a few, but it served it's purpose very well. It did exactly what you expected - it gave a lot of solutions to writing problems.

At points it gives specific advice or techniques that might work well for some people, but I like the fact that it stresses to kind of 'do your own thing'. It realizes not the same thing works for everyone but it gives you solutions you can try. Some solutions are precise like using noteca
LuAnn
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I teach writing classes and as a published author I almost blew this book off, but once I settled in to read I found Clark had included lots of great ideas I could use not only in my lectures, but also to motivate myself to keep writing. Well worth the time to read this one, even if you're an experienced author.
Gaby
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
I gravitate towards books on writing and grammar in the hope that I'll become a better writer and reduce the tension and procrastination that often characterize a major deadline. Unfortunately, while I tend to be optimistic about improving my writing, much as I tend to look for the latest fitness books in the hope that this will encourage me to "be more disciplined and healthier", my follow through often falls short.

If you write and have reached the point where you feel ready to show your work t
Jules
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have always tinkered with my writing and seem to gravitate to books and classes that aid me in that pursuit. Back in October of 2010 I had the privilege of reviewing Mr. Clark's book The Glamour of Grammar. His newest offering is another book that will be residing next to that one on my bookshelf for years to come.

Roy Peter Clark's writing style is very easy for the reader to comprehend as well as enjoy. As in the previous book, he breaks the material down into bite-size chunks that the would-
Michael Estey
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Help for Writers!

by Roy Peter Clark

A Book Review of Sorts

210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces

I came across this book at the library.
I love these self-help books, on writing.

You've just sat down at your desk,
You're facing your monitor,
ready to pour your heart out.
You've pulled up a clean white sheet of paper,
through the magic of Pages.( or Word )on your computer.
You've gotten all compfy.
Your fingers are resting on the keyboard.
Your wrists are placed evenly the desk.
You can fee
Adam
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Clark's book has a ton of good information that every writer should know about organizing and keeping things handy. Mostly not new to me, but always good to remember what's in the toolbox. (And I did actually start looking up word derivations when seeking inspiration)

One handy idea: List the questions you want to answer, or what you want the reader to take away.

Advice I've heard elsewhere and like to remember -- engage the senses. (And conflict them)

Interesting point if you want to write somethi
M.A. Ray
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Mostly relevant to journalists and nonfiction writers, I thought, but some very good insights on researching and organization in general.
Meghan
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great and practical book on the craft of writing. Focuses on breaking through writer's block, how to best work with editors, ways to make manuscripts more concise and precise, ways to structure a story. Equally meant for journalistic writing as well as fiction writers. Solidly done and very useful.
Cheryl
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. There were some helpful suggestions but overall I felt like it was tips I have read before.
Yoshiki
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
Maybe helpful to aspiring writers.
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • 2012 Writer's Market
  • What Would Your Character Do?
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Motivate to Create: A Guide for Writers
  • Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Crafting Killer Sentences
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Robert's Rules of Writing
  • The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists
  • The Literary Handyman: Tips on Writing From Someone Who's Been there
By many accounts, Roy Peter Clark is America’s writing coach, a teacher devoted to creating a nation of writers. A Google search on his name reveals an astonishing web of influence, not just in the United States, but also around the world. His work has erased many boundaries. A Ph.D. in medieval literature, he is widely considered one of the most influential writing teachers in the rough-and-tumbl ...more
More about Roy Peter Clark...