Start by marking “The Beguilers” as Want to Read:
The Beguilers

The Beguilers

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In Rilka's village, it isn't safe to go out after dark. That's when the beguilers drift through the streets, as bright and visible as fire-flies. Everyone knows their power--they hypnotize their victims and, in the end, lead them to their deaths. When Rilka declares her Great Intention to capture a beguiler, her family and friends mourn her. Still, a determined Rilka sets ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published March 27th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Beguilers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beguilers

Margaret
Rilka lives in a small village, where it isn't safe to go out after dark lest the beguilers lure you away, and where odd creatures called chuffies absorb human emotions, ridding the villagers of their negative feelings. Rilka has always been a misfit, and when she decides to try to catch a beguiler, she becomes an outcast. Though she does discover an astonishing truth about her world, her journey is mostly a coming-of-age tale, showing how she grows and changes as she copes with her difficult pa ...more
Aelvana
Oct 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rilka is bored with her life, and the future doesn't look much better. Rather than marry or enter the priesthood, she makes her Great Intention one of capturing a beguiler, the ghost-like lights that lead people to their deaths. But capturing a beguiler isn't as easy as it looks, and holding on to one is even harder.

I didn't find much to like about the book, honestly. I spent the majority of the book not even knowing the main character's name. The first time anyone says it is on page 101, and th
Samantha
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tedious...like struggling through a big patch of "druze".
On the whole, a well crafted story with some good imagery, but I thought it could have been further developed. The ending is particularly unsatisfying and lacklustre. Disappointing - left me feeling exhausted!
I'm surprised this book won so many prizes.

Rachel
This book was solid and servicable, a fitting cleanly into the ranks of young adult high fantasy/science fiction, but was not in any way outstanding. The world building was engaging but not astounding, and the character believable but not startlingly well drawn. Recommended to those who like this genre a great deal, but not anyone else.
Shauna
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite YA fantasy novels. I'm not sure when it was written, but I bought it in some small bookshop on the ring road in Ireland years ago and just loved it! So much so that I described it to my husband, who did a painting for my birthday of my description. It is one of the few books that I have a double of so that I can loan it out.
Melissa Oliver
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, owned
The most beautiful book I have ever read. I have THREE copies! Why? Just incase I lose one... I would recommend this book to any age. Such a heartwarming story complimented by a lovely way with words.
Kd
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great little book that went fast and had an interesting plot. I have found some really good reading in the Young Adult section of my library.
Lauren
I really wanted to like this book, but I never really got into it. Rilka wasn't compelling as a character. The concept was interesting, but it stopped there.
Tammy
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different and a nice change. Kids books are for adults to!
Kaye
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a peculiar book.
Lucy Weaver
I enjoyed Switchers more. This book is far more scattered and written with the heroine in a dreamy/hypnotised state.
Janice
Apr 10, 2013
Rebecca
Dec 17, 2010
Aditya
rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2012
SBC
rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's The Name o...: Young Adult- Fluffy sorrow-absorbing creatures [s] 3 23 Jul 07, 2012 09:20AM
  • The Hidden World
  • Retribution (Triskelia, #2)
  • Devil on My Heels
  • Rob&Sara.com
  • Night Flying
  • Tell It to Naomi
  • The Glass Cafe: Or the Stripper and the State; How My Mother Started a War with the System That Made Us Kind of Rich and a Little Bit Famous
  • Fix
  • The Lost Summer
  • Nightmare
  • Walking Naked
  • Takeoffs and Landings

Kate Thompson is an award-winning writer for children and adults.She has lived in Ireland, where many of her books are set, since 1981. She is the youngest child of the social historians and peace activists E. P. Thompson and Dorothy Towers. She worked with horses and travelled in India before settling in the w
More about Kate Thompson...