Start by marking “Storeyville” as Want to Read:
Storeyville

Storeyville

A perfect match of form and content, Storeyville was originally published in 1995 as a 40-page tabloid newspaper. Now rare, it was printed in black and white, along with a set of three muted tones ranging from sandy yellow to deep sepia, and it described the arc of a youthful adventure that took its protagonist, Will, from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Montreal, Quebec at th ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Picturebox, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Storeyville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storeyville

Start your review of Storeyville
David Schaafsma
Originally published in 1995 as a 40-page tabloid newspaper, this is a subtle, understated classic, reprinted in its original size, with a powerful introduction by Chris Ware, whose work is nothing like this, but to his credit, Ware anticipates our initially not liking its sketchy rushed appearance, to show us how the form matches the content perfectly, and is ultimately a very moving story. Dan Nadel writes an afterward explaining how this subtle comics master, admired by comics artists more th ...more
Marc Weidenbaum
I read this when it first came out, in 1995, as a newsprint standalone when Frank Santoro and his then girlfriend, Katie Glicksberg, who did the colors and handled production, were living in the vaguely defined Tenderloin of San Francisco. They had stacks and stacks of it still in their tiny apartment a year later, when I moved down from Sacramento to take a new job. It says something about the unpredictable path of culture that dozen years later the book had been forgotten then remembered, coll ...more
Raina
I admire and appreciate this more when I'm reading the extra materials and flipping through the pages than when I'm actually reading it, panel by panel. I get that it's groundbreaking and important, I just didn't connect.
Randy Costanza
Oh do I remeber when Frank gave me the newsprint edition. Thought he was full of shit, but he pulled it off. Reminds me of a Neil Young song that was never there.
Lisa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: requested
I appreciated Chris Ware's introduction for setting the historical context of the work, but didn't appreciate it much myself. I enjoyed the artwork but less so the story.
Never
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I can totally see why this book is so influential in terms of art, design, layout and all kinds of other things. It's a beautiful book that is beautifully created. Plotwise, it's solid, but nothing mind-blowing. Definitely a recommended read for anyone seriously interested in comics.
Mikey Seamans
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I can't even guess how many times I've read Storeyville, but it gets better each time. It felt a little strange reading it in a hardback format rather than on newsprint, but if you don't have this get it.
Maureen
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, small-press
3.5 stars, natch.
Erika
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautifully drawn book, and lovely story about friendship, identity and going your own way.
Cindy Kelly Benabderrahman
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
This is just breathtakingly beautiful and in such a large format. I love a picture book with no words.
Kassie
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this at the library. The artwork is absolutely beautiful, but I wanted a little more from the story and there were times when I was a little confused. But the art is amazing.
Robin
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Fun book, big book, and on top of a lot of the colloquialisms, but still the story could have used a little prefacing or just more explanation in general.
Wit
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Breathtaking. Drawn as it is meant to be read: in one urgent rush.
Jason
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drawn
Very much unimpressed. Chris Ware was all about it and I think his stuff is incredible. But, this? I just don't get it.
Linda
Jan 31, 2009
Erin Colby Colby
Nov 16, 2015
Peter Oresick
rated it did not like it
Nov 01, 2010

• Are You Listening?
  • Blood Club, Featuring Big Baby
  • Pictures of Hollis Woods
  • Making Tracks: The Rise of Blondie
  • Working: People Talk about What They Do All Day and How They Feel about What They Do
  • Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power