Start by marking “Queer Jews” as Want to Read:
Queer Jews

Queer Jews

Queer Jews describes how queer Jews are changing Jewish American culture, creating communities and making room for themselves, as openly, unapologetically queer and Jewish. Combining political analysis and personal memoir, these essays explore the various ways queer Jews are creating new forms of Jewish communities and institutions, and demanding that Jewish communities be ...more
Published June 28th 2002 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Queer Jews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queer Jews

Start your review of Queer Jews
Bogi Takács
More on this maybe later (quickly updating with my Passover reading), just remarking that I was unpleasantly surprised that this was a much less intersectional book than the much earlier Twice Blessed, which I'm reading right now.

In no particular order Queer Jews does not seem to include, or at least emphasize the lived experiences of queer Jews who are also

* Disabled people
* Migrants (one author might be Israeli living in the US? But no discussion of Jewish migration in particular)
* Jews of col
Melissa
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly a fantastic look at the lives and struggles of queer Jews who are trying to maintain ties both to the Jewish faith and their own sexual identity. With humor, sadness, and every emotion in between, the authors' collected anecdotes tell a beautiful story.

Between those who leave the faith, those to rediscover their faith, and those who refused to give up and instead are fighting for their equal seat at the table, this book shows the different facets of life as a queer Jewish pe
Hanna
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
reskimmed, 5 or 6 years after reading the first time. This time around, It felt more cliche, disengaged from the types of Judaism that I and my community call home.

Steve Greenberg's essay about refusing to choose between communities, yet never being quite situated in a single one, is the one that will stick with me.
Aryeh
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is really dated yet sadly still relevant. The writings on Institutions I found a bit dry, but Culture and Identity sections more than made up for it. This should be required reading for all looking to raise your Queer or Jew IQ. In both cases, our common history informs our present.
Rachel
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I got this book when I was looking for different (intersectional, I suppose is the current day terminology) perspectives on what it is to be Jewish. I know that I loved the essays, but alas I don't remember them in much detail now. Probably worth a reread. ...more
Andrew Louis
Debbie
Jun 09, 2007
Benny Solis
May 29, 2017

• The Soul of the Stranger: Reading God and Torah from a Transgender Perspective
  • Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends
  • On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century
  • Ensemble-Made Chicago: A Guide to Devised Theater
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • Open Season: Legalized Genocide of Colored People
  • Living a Jewish Life
  • Finding God: Selected Responses
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
  • Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
  • Long Bright River
  • Between the World and Me
  • Converts to Judaism: Stories from Biblical Times to Today
  • If Only I Could Tell You

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...