Start by marking “Failing Forward” as Want to Read:
Failing Forward

John C. Maxwell

Failing Forward

Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success
Published (first published March 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Failing Forward, please sign up.
Agrata Singh You should read it chapter by chapter as each chapter acts a step in a 15-step algorithm of accepting failures and turning them into life lessons

Start your review of Failing Forward
Greg Frucci
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wisdom, leadership
I began reading this book wondering why a mentor of mine suggested that I read it in the first place. I began the first few pages with the attitude of "yeah, yeah, yeah...I know all this stuff already...my Mentor obviously has no clue who I am." I kept reading, then the note taking began...big-time. Hahaha...oh the humility I thought I possessed.

We have all heard the cliches before. The ones like, "we learn from our mistakes", etc. Yet, do you have an action plan in place for truly learning and
Danny
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of my favorite quotes:
“People are training for success when they should be training for failure. Failure is far more common than success; poverty is more prevalent than wealth; and disappointment more normal than arrival.” J. Wallace Hamilton
“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.“ Thomas A. Edison
To achieve your dreams, you must embrace adversity and make failure a part of your life. If you are not failing, you are probably
Ido
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
There are only two roads to take in life:

רוצים לשמוע אותי מדבר על הספר? !צפו בוידאו סיקור :-)

One is smooth and easy and anyone who wishes, will arrive shortly to
it's destination: mediocrity.

The second is hidden at first, and when exposed is frightening: long and full of inconsistencies and obstacles. The only reason one might walk this road is the potential unending rewards along the way and summits.

Two roads. One promises a casual walk with little rewards,
the other promises a long
Sheryl
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life is a series of outcomes. Sometimes the outcome is what you want. Great. Figure out what you did right. Sometimes the outcome is what you don't want. Great. Figure out what you did so you don't do it again. ~~Psychologist Simone Caruthers

Mohammad Ali Abedi
“People are training for success when they should be training for failure. Failure is far more common than success; poverty is more prevalent than wealth; and disappointment more normal than arrival.” – J. Wallace Hamilton

I am in a difficult stage in my life where I have (potentially) lost my life savings, so I desperately need to read books that deal with the feeling of failure.

But this is was not the book for that. One of the author’s own personal anecdotes of failure is something like this.
Bethany Baird
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating books

5 would read again
4 liked would recommend
3 was ok
2 didn't really like
1 hated

I'm going to read this again with my teenagers. The first part I felt like I knew already but as I read more in this book there was a lot of helpful how to advice and practical steps to live out what he was saying and I appreciated that. One of the quotes at the end "Schools teach the technical disciplines such as math and science, but not about mental health. What they need to teach is how to deal with
Joanne
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Failure is an inside job." That is the message of this book. It teaches us the difference between "average" people and those who achieve. That difference is how they view, and how they respond to "failure". We learn to redefine both failure and success - in terms of what we learn, of course. But it goes well beyond delivering a "There, there, things aren't so bad" message. It provides strategies for effective cognitive reframing, along with lots of inspiration, and examples we can identify ...more
Katherine
It was full of inspirational and motivational thoughts that helped me deal with life as a whole...
Ursula
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-development
It was my high school friend, Alein N., who introduced me to one of the world’s finest motivational speaker, when he let me borrowed John C. Maxwell’s How to Become a Person of Influence. Since then, I have been an avid fan of John C. Maxwell, especially in his book on 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership.

Before Christmas break started, I visited our university library to browse some books. Fortunately, I came across John Maxwell’s Failing Forward. After a quick reading on its cover page, I
Robb
Nov 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, the only reason not 5 stars is because the writing style is simple, but a simple writing style is effective for what Maxwell is trying to accomplish. He basically convinced me well that mistakes and failures are necessary for creating a successful life, and to not allow them to stop me in my tracks. Also to not avoid avoid taking risks because of fear of failure. Many interesting stories of successful people and all the times they failed and persevered. My only suggestion would ...more
Steven
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the type of book that you have to read in little doses to get the full effect. The basics of this book is how we handle failure. Within six chapters of the book I can say that it has impacted my life. The thing that stood out was the fact that how we handle failure is basically up to us. Failure is an inside job, so is success. It’s what happens on the inside, inside of us that determines if we fail forward or backward. The inside, our inner being and how we really look at life. How we ...more
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
"The only way to get ahead is to fail early, fail often and fail forward." (John C. Maxwell, Failing Forward)

If you want a different take on failure, then you definitely should read this book. If you are not failing, then you probably are not achieving much. You need to try something harder. Most of the greatest achievers that have ever lived were once the greatest failures and the author gives many examples of these superachievers.

As Henry Ford says, "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin
Kevin Richardson
This is one of my all time favorite books, "Failing Forward" by John C. Maxwell. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has dealt with failure or disappointment in their life. You will gain a new perspective on failure and learn how to turn failure into a stepping stone for success. Through this book you will learn that the difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to failure. Maxwell will provide straight forward principles for overcoming ...more
Chase Parsley
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first exposure to John Maxwell and is one of the best self-improvement books I have ever come across. Author Maxwelll reminds me a lot of Dale Carnegie in the sense that his simple and profound points of wisdom are peppered with inspirational side stories and common sense advice. I didn't feel preached to at all in this book which was refreshing. The book's premise is that life is full of mistakes, and the goal is to turn them into positives.

I read this book at a difficult time in my
Tim Chang
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a very simple, yet often overlooked and underappreciated, concept that failing is oftentimes a good thing as long as it leads to progress and doesn't become a defining character trait. Maxwell tries to beat this concept into his reader's heads over and over again, and it often gets repetitive. His examples are at times inspiring, but at times cheesy and overkill, in my opinion. However, I appreciate his overall message and since it was an easy read, I didn't mind the ...more
Ghia Arroyo
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maxwell organizes the right steps to success. Each chapter is written with clarity and definitely relatable. I feel as if I have a mentor right in front of me. Maxwell’s use of stories including successful men and women remind me of how great man is. I’ve read stories of all these amazing people that had pushed through adversity and I feel I can apply those lessons in my life too. He sets the right attitude when approaching failure. A must read for anyone that has a negative connotation with ...more
Andrew Hartley
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students, business-people, everyone
Recommended to Andrew by: Randy Daniels
Shelves: philosophy, business
Failing Forward is an excellent book for those who want to make a positive change in their lives, whether it be for business or personal reasons.

It's also fantastic for those who already know that failure is really just a learning experience on the way to massive success, but may need a reminder once in awhile.

Do yourself a favor and read this book if you want to turn your life around - or even if you just want to turn your small successes into huge, life-changing, incredible successes!
Mohamed Labadi
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fail Fast ..

This book focuses on embracing failure and using them as fuel for successes!

The more mistakes you make early in life, the earlier you will successfully reach your goal. Learning a lot reflecting on my past mistakes and failure.
Encountering today's failure means you are one step closer to tomorrow's success.

Fail early, fail often, fail forward.
Lu Tu
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
open your heart for failing, accept it, learn from it and keep failing forward.... things is always easy said than done. But you will be no where without try doing something, so, why dont we try failing with a better gratitude and appreciate the failed situation? .... as people use to say.... no pain .... no gain...
Ally
I really enjoyed this book. The biggest lesson i learned from Maxwell that was transformational in how i quickly i rebound from mistakes is: Fail Fast. In essence, fail, learn what you did wrong, correct it & keep moving quickly. Don't sit in the mire, just learn & move on. Great advice, great book!
Clayton Tune
Im usually a john Maxwell fan; however this book could have been 150 pages shorter.

YOU - But clayton, it's only 170 pages.

CLAYTON - Exactly. This premise does not take long to understand. A better example was the book Go for No. Did the same thing, in 60 pages.
Melanie Boyd
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read and re-read!
Mary May
I learned that mistakes are not your foe but actually your fiend if yo use them to improve yourself.
Pamela Fernandes
This is a wonderful book. It tells you that failure is not bad. If you don't fail you don't learn. But what it does teach you is that failure can be a strength if you let it be.
The book had 13 principles which tell you to fail but fail forward, get back up and deal with your failure through preparation and planning.
The book is wonderful because if give you terrific examples of people who failed continuously before they succeeded whether that was head of Walmart or head of Macy's all of them
Josh Fern
In terms of business books, Failing Forward held my attention. It forced me into introspection on how I handle mistakes and if I stay on "failure freeway" longer than I should.

Quality tips to save yourself from yourself when mistakes are made. If you find you've become paralyzed in your work from mistakes or jade, this book offers advice I found imperative to overcoming it.
Nilay Rego
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical stories and insight into embracing failure and understanding it's importance in helping us make smarter decisions moving forward.
Amy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A Challenging read , yet insightful .
Jessica
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book with great, common sense advice. The kind of book you read and feel like you should know everything in it, but it's great at distilling the information down and making it readable.
Ben
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see how this book would have been breakthrough at its time. What detracts from it now is that there are many books now in the market that deliver the same message as Maxwell. Failure is key to success and it’s the way you handle failure and learn from it.
There are many anecdotes and motivational stories if that’s what you’re in need of or looking for. Worth a read but there are other books doing the same thing now. Black Box Thinking is a modern example.
Mark Anthony  Howard
John Maxwell is my guy. I basically raised myself upon his literature. His books are so practical and empowering and this one is nothing short of same amazing quality. Failing Forward is a John C. Maxwell classic to me and I still go back time to time and reference it. I've even seen several mainstream duplications by authors.

Personally this book was a slow read for myself but I appreciated so many of the points and perspective. As an entrepreneur I take business failures so personal. This was
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Failing Forward 5 35 Aug 15, 2013 09:40AM

• How to Mind Map: The Ultimate Thinking Tool That Will Change Your Life
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Read and Get Rich: How the Hidden Power of Reading Can Make You Richer in All Areas of Your Life
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • 1913
  • Life Strategies: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters
  • Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • The Dream Giver
  • Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People
  • The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family
  • Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Voyage of a Viking: How a Man of Action Can Become a Man of Grace
  • The Neuropsychology of Self-Discipline: The Master Key to Success
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military ...more
“In life, the question is not if you will have problems, but how you are going to deal with your problems. If the possibility of failure were erased, what would you attempt to achieve?

The essence of man is imperfection. Know that you're going to make mistakes. The fellow who never makes a mistake takes his orders from one who does. Wake up and realize this: Failure is simply a price we pay to achieve success.

Achievers are given multiple reasons to believe they are failures. But in spite of that, they persevere. The average for entrepreneurs is 3.8 failures before they finally make it in business.

When achievers fail, they see it as a momentary event, not a lifelong epidemic.

Procrastination is too high a price to pay for fear of failure. To conquer fear, you have to feel the fear and take action anyway. Forget motivation. Just do it. Act your way into feeling, not wait for positive emotions to carry you forward.

Recognize that you will spend much of your life making mistakes. If you can take action and keep making mistakes, you gain experience.

Life is playing a poor hand well. The greatest battle you wage against failure occurs on the inside, not the outside.

Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you?

Handicaps can only disable us if we let them. If you are continually experiencing trouble or facing obstacles, then you should check to make sure that you are not the problem.

Be more concerned with what you can give rather than what you can get because giving truly is the highest level of living.

Embrace adversity and make failure a regular part of your life. If you're not failing, you're probably not really moving forward.

Everything in life brings risk. It's true that you risk failure if you try something bold because you might miss it. But you also risk failure if you stand still and don't try anything new.

The less you venture out, the greater your risk of failure. Ironically the more you risk failure — and actually fail — the greater your chances of success.

If you are succeeding in everything you do, then you're probably not pushing yourself hard enough. And that means you're not taking enough risks. You risk because you have something of value you want to achieve.

The more you do, the more you fail. The more you fail, the more you learn. The more you learn, the better you get.

Determining what went wrong in a situation has value. But taking that analysis another step and figuring out how to use it to your benefit is the real difference maker when it comes to failing forward. Don't let your learning lead to knowledge; let your learning lead to action.

The last time you failed, did you stop trying because you failed, or did you fail because you stopped trying?

Commitment makes you capable of failing forward until you reach your goals. Cutting corners is really a sign of impatience and poor self-discipline.

Successful people have learned to do what does not come naturally. Nothing worth achieving comes easily. The only way to fail forward and achieve your dreams is to cultivate tenacity and persistence.

Never say die. Never be satisfied. Be stubborn. Be persistent. Integrity is a must. Anything worth having is worth striving for with all your might.

If we look long enough for what we want in life we are almost sure to find it. Success is in the journey, the continual process. And no matter how hard you work, you will not create the perfect plan or execute it without error. You will never get to the point that you no longer make mistakes, that you no longer fail.

The next time you find yourself envying what successful people have achieved, recognize that they have probably gone through many negative experiences that you cannot see on the surface.

Fail early, fail often, but always fail forward.”
100 likes
“The difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to...failure.” 25 likes