Start by marking “Strays” as Want to Read:
Strays

Strays

Kyle Anderson grew up with the lie that he was one of the last humans born. Then Kyle’s quiet, lonely life as a research assistant and student is shattered when he discovers the government has been lying to the world for more than twenty years. Now on the run from authorities who would kill for his silence, Kyle is taken in by Daniel Shanks, a member of a militia group ded ...more
Published September 7th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published September 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Strays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strays

Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Kyle has escaped from the government who decided that he saw something that he shouldn’t have and has made plans for him to disappear…forever. Daniel is a member of the militia and takes Kyle in to help him out. They both feel an attraction to the other but Daniel is wary of getting too close. He knows just how quickly friends can die in the militia. Kyle is still trying to overcome the horror of being kidnapp
CAS
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have a real soft spot for strays. I find them irresistible. True to form I picked up Elizabeth Noble's 'Strays' and don't regret it for a moment. What I found fascinating about this story is how closely it parallels my own experiences with strays. Daniel Shanks is about to discover for himself what I have always known... Getting attached to a stray is a risky proposition. You never know if someone is going to show up unexpectedly to claim them. They tend to love their rescuers quickly and unco ...more
Lou Sylvre
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Noble’s Strays is a fast-paced novella that kept me reading from page one to the last word. If you’ve seen a few of my reviews, you already know I enjoyed Strays, because if I don’t like a book I don’t review it. I’ve read two other books by Ms. Noble, both in her Sentries series, and reviewed one of them (haven't made the time to review the second. is a bit of a departure from the style of , but not a departure in quality. I’m giving this golden, action-packed book 5 stars.

A little su
Teresa
While the wording of the blurb led me to believe this was paranormal or sci-fi (I think it was the use of the word human combined with the title strays - screams shifter to me), it is really just a dystopian future. Which is fine, I like dystopian novels, I just kept expecting shifters to pop out at some point. But that's my fault.

The story itself was ok. For never picking up strays, and definitely not falling for them, Daniel did so rather quickly. We don't really see what the two MCs have in
Anne Barwell
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I enjoyed this story although I felt as though it wasn't complete, that there is more of Daniel and Kyle's story to be told, and perhaps something between them getting back together and then the epilogue. I'd love a sequel to fill in those gaps and to find out what is going to happen to their world with the revelation that is revealed in this story.
Janet
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Kyle and Daniel were a good fit the world building left alot to be desired. I didn't really get why the Militia was fighting the government, what had happened to the world, who/what had caused whatever had happened to happen, it was all pretty fuzzy and detracted from the story.
Barb
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book that puts together two of my favorite genres, m/m romance, and post-apocalyptic fiction. Although the post-apocalyptic side of things seemed like more of an afterthought. The story could just as easily taken place in a modern day military setting.

The description of the book put out by the publisher speaks to the protagonist, Kyle, being one of youngest humans left in existence, which led me to think that his love interest, Daniel, would turn out to be something other
ManOhMan
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Reviewed by Kristen: Elizabeth Nobel creates a unique tale set in the future where infertility is the norm and few young humans exist.

Kyle is one of the last humans born, but when he stumbles across a well-hidden secret of the government, he suddenly becomes the prey and is hunted.Daniel, a fighter for the Freedom Militia picks him up and Kyle slowly worms his way into Daniel's life.

There's a lot of plot fit into this novella, but the author pulls it off.

The love isn't as easy as it first appear
Meggie
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
"Daniel Shanks didn't do strays. He didn’t! Except apparently he did." - Okay, this sentence was really annoying, full of bragging, and exaggerating. And I have to admit, that just little sentences like upper one, made me think, blah, what a irritating writing style... I couldn't connect to both main characters and for my piece of mind, if the character is to weak or to bland the story is the same...
Mary
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved these characters. Kyle is a sweet breath of sunshine and Daniel is growly and grouchy and all alpha. I hated the middle where they were apart but it made sense to me because Kyle felt betrayed and hurt but it takes a truly strong man to forgive and Kyle is that. Daniel's an ass but in a good way and he loves hard so we forgive him. I hope we revisit these guys soon, I would be on board for further adventures.
Crispy
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A neat little novella. Set in a dystopian ( or possibly post apocalyptic) world where a pandemic has rendered most people sterile, children or young people are rare. Not a lot of world building involved, basically what we have is a sweet love story between young Kyle , who is on the run from the govt. and, Daniel a resistance fighter. Simple premise, simply told, but well done for all that.
Tj
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Solid, short story. The overall plot is fairly predictable but the writing was good and the characters very believable. The writer put a lot of action into this short story and did a good job and making it all enjoyable.
Marsha Spence
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-para
Loved it! Great story!
Kobie
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
a fine story, that would have been better if it were longer.
Alyxandria
rated it did not like it
Nov 06, 2013