Start by marking “Nacidos en la Tierra (La Saga del Retorno, #5)” as Want to Read:
Nacidos en la Tierra (La Saga del Retorno, #5)

Nacidos en la Tierra

(Homecoming Saga #5)

El planeta Armonía, colonizado por humanos casi cuarenta millones de años atrás, ha estado siempre bajo el cuidado de una inteligencia artificial: el Alma Suprema, el ordenador que todo lo sabe y todo lo protege. Pero el Alma Suprema ha envejecido y está débil. Los humanos deben volver a la lejana Tierra para recabar la ayuda del Guardián.
En Nacidos en la Tierra, Shedemei
Paperback, NOVA, 432 pages
Published September 1996 by Ediciones B (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Nacidos en la Tierra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nacidos en la Tierra

Start your review of Nacidos en la Tierra (La Saga del Retorno, #5)
Zach
Jan 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book I've ever bothered to review on Amazon because it pissed me off so much. Text follows.

So you've read books one through four. You were impressed by Card's fascinating premise in book one, started to get really turned on to his idea of "god as a machine" in book two, loved the fantastic revelations and conflict in book three, and were intrigued by the first-hand narratives of diggers and angels in book four. I guess I should see how it ends, you say to yourself.

Don't be a
Johnny Leal
This book... *sigh*

Card is my favorite Sci-Fi author. The first four Homecoming books were fantastic. Many seem to complain about how much Mormonism is in this series (specifically book 5) but that's just it; The novels were actually BASED on the book of Mormon. I'm not of the Mormon belief myself, and no offense meant by this but - Mormon beliefs make for great science fiction, heh.

Anyway back on topic, this book is not about the characters you come to love and hate in the first four books of
Brian
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fantasy
Nola Redd
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Card fan, Alma the Younger fans, sci fi people, folks who will forgive the dribbled ending
Recommended to Nola by: Card
Of all of Orson Scott Card’s books, “Earthborn” is probably my least favorite. It is not that the novel is not well written – it is – or that it lacks a good story – it does not. But its role as the fifth and final book in a series makes it feel like an incomplete ending.

Unlike the rest of the novels in the Homecoming series, “Earthborn” lacks most of the characters we have come to identify with. Of the original cast, we have only Shedemai, the Oversoul, and the Keeper of the Earth. I never
Alina
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like in the other Homecoming books, the characters are very well designed and realistic and I quickly got interested in them and the plot. I got a slower start on the first 30-or-so pages, because of the new naming scheme and the all new characters. But after this, the story started flowing.

The focus on religion is stronger, but it also deals with racism and discrimination against women. I saw that many readers were disappointed of its significantly religious nature, but for myself it did
Ella
Jan 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book pissed me right the eff off. I read this whole series two and a half years ago and I'm still mad thinking about it. You spend four whole books getting invested in a series of characters, a particular world and culture, etc., and then the final one is set thousands of years in the future with a totally new society? If that's what you wanted why not just write it as a stand alone? It really felt like he just got bored with his premise and got as close to rocks-fall-everybody-dies as he ...more
Erin
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay
Still overly detailed and challenging. I wanted more from the series.
Cristian Tomescu
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I am finally giving up on this.
Erica
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny
May 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt Card had literally lost the plot by this point!
According to the first books in the series, the mighty computer that has kept the planet Harmony harmonious for millions of years (the 'Oversoul') is now beginning to run down. Because it has achieved this by limiting technology, there is no technology on Harmony advanced enough to fix it, so it sends a party back to Earth, where it had originally come from, for fresh instructions.

By the time the party reach Earth, though, they have
Rob Bleckly
I read the first chapter and gave up.

For me it isn't really part of the homecoming Saga, only one character left and it's not the main protagonist followed since book 1.

The ridiculously complicated naming conventions require 4 pages of explanatory notes, are an exercise for linguists that make it hard to read.
Dan
Aug 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A mediocre finale to a mediocre series. I was glad to be done with Nafai and friends. A new suite of characters with a new suite of problems was a breath of fresh air, but the way Mr. Card resolved the Oversoul's mission to find the Keeper of Earth left a lot to be desired. It really didn't conclude anything.
Will Hudson
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I have run across a few series that do this to kind of wrap things up. They have a time shift, sometimes large, that for the most part, introduces all new characters and few if any of the original characters. That totally takes you out of the rhythm of the story, especially if it's a series and you have a vested interest in the characters you have read for the last 2 or 3 or 5 books. That's where I found myself with Earthborn, and if I based my rating strictly on that, I would probably give ...more
David
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the homecoming series, this book is the most disconnected. Card does a great job at tying everything together, but old characters are gone, and this is a story in and of itself. The previous book only provide supporting details, but aren't essential to enjoying it.

Humans, angels, and diggers have found it hard to coexist with each other after several centuries on Earth. Shedemei and the Oversoul are searching for the divine architect, the Keeper. With the Earth on the brink of war again,
Nolan
If you ever need an example of what a series looks like when it runs out of gas and sputters and dies, this book exemplifies that scenario. I came away mostly disappointed.

Essentially, the book details the lives of two groups of people. They arrived on Earth hoping they could help their onboard computer correct its programming. The group split in two shortly after their arrival. As book five opens, they have been on earth for something close to five centuries. The people discovered two other
Jason Warren
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m really glad I read reviews of this book before I started it. After the horrible disappointment of “Crystal City” (Card’s depressingly anti-climatic conclusion to his otherwise enjoyable Alvin Maker series) I was nervous about finishing this series, but the all the negative reviews prepared me for the worst.

Yes, this book jumps way into the future leaving all the characters you’ve grown to know after four books behind, however the new characters and plot lines are far more interesting IMO.
Ian McGaffey
This was another well written and intriguing look into human society and its interaction with other species. These species happen to be sentient and it creates turmoil in the three societies. I am not sure what the overall goal of this series has been, but it seems a rambling epic on the coming of age of humans after they had destroyed themselves the first time. The writing in this story is captivating and is probably what kept me going without a clear story arc, but I have always greatly enjoy ...more
Steve R
The final volume in Card's Homecoming series, this work is set five centuries after the conclusion of events in the preceding volume. It also involves a major shift in emphasis away from the struggle between the two brothers and their descendants to a struggle between differing factions within one of these clans. Complications involving the Starmaster, the Oversoul and the Keeper also exist as a background to the largely inter-personal conflicts and dramas. Indeed, it is in his characterizations ...more
Laura Mada
The final book of the Homecoming Saga... It does offer some closure (at least for Shedemai and the Oversoul) but it
was a disappointment, especially when compared to the first book.
I have to say that I like my sci-fi or fantasy novels not to mix too much with religion. Unfortunately, this book is more about religion than science-fiction.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the general ideas that it is based on (a greater being that IS in everything but is nothing in itself, more than any human,
Florin Constantinescu
Yea, what I've come to dread somewhere in the middle of the 3rd book has happened.
The cat is out of the bag.
The bird is out the cage.
The hammer has fallen.
The curtain has also fallen over this series and I am so mad with it.
The long awaited cool revelation at the end never came.
The long promised character development or super action also never came.
What a waste of time...
Bryan
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a weird way to end a 5 book series. All but one of the characters from the first 4 books are dead when this book starts. You are on the same planet, Earth, where the fourth book ended, but this book take up generations later. The people of earth are still battling the same issues of equality and how to live peacefully together. This story is mild on the science fiction impact.
Matt McNabb
This was a very strange book, quite a radical departure from the first four of the series and with weird religious overtones. I view it as a quartet with a sequel which is set quite some time in the future after the end of book 4 , which does wrap up like the final book in a series ought to. You could (and perhaps should) just read the first 4.
Forest Handford
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good - My only issue with this book is that Shedemai (and the Oversoul) are the only charachters still around from the first book. It also get's into some deep religious overtones. In the end it's a good story though and well worth the read.
Anita
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audio
I am in favor of the moral values discussed in this book. That said, this part of the saga was uninteresting in the extreme. The other 4 books were kind of preachy, but those had good stories. The story in this book seems flat and most of it is wasted.

Throughout the series there have been scenes that hearken back to Biblical stories. This book had that too. I don't mind, but an atheist would probably not like any of the books.
Scott Urman
Jan 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrendous. I made it maybe 10 pages in before giving up after endless descriptions of river and people names. Very disappointed after the first 4 books.
Michale
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-boldly-go
I found the implication that people can’t stay true to their values without regular doses of revelation disappointing.
Matthew Morgan
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-fiction
A unique premise.
Megan Thomas
This book was okay. It was fairly well-written but parts were confusing, and the honorifics attached to names were hard to remember.
Justin
Mar 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the least satisfying conclusions to any series I've ever read. Threads are left loose, questions are left unanswered, and faith and mystical earthpower carry the day.
Alex Dove
At first I was very disappointed with this book because it made the previous 4 seem like a very long and almost unnecessary prologue, almost the reverse of The Hobbit to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This plagued me because all of the characters, conflict, and intrigue that had been building up were suddenly reduced to a distant memory that may or may not have actually happened (in the minds of the characters of this book at least).

Other than this I have had problems with the Homecoming sage as
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Tatami kontra krzesła. O Japończykach i Japonii
  • Achaja. Tom II (Achaja, #2)
  • Kokeshi, from Tohoku with Love
  • Made in Japan
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
  • Achaja. Tom III (Achaja, #3)
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • Managing for Happiness: Games, Tools & Practices to Motivate Any Team
  • The Beginning (Dark Paladin #1)
  • Factoring Humanity
  • Zaginięcie (Chyłka i Zordon, #2)
  • Where's My Jetpack?: A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future That Never Arrived
  • The Woman Who Wouldn't Die (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #9)
  • Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3)
  • Perfect State
  • The Bridge Over the River Kwai
  • The Storm (Trackers #3)
  • The Damned (Trackers #4)
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.

Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series

Homecoming Saga (5 books)
  • The Memory of Earth (Homecoming, #1)
  • The Call of Earth (Homecoming, #2)
  • The Ships of Earth (Homecoming Saga #3)
  • Earthfall (Homecoming, #4)
“...He found himself filled with joy, for now his existence had a meaning. He had a future, because he was part of a world that had a future, and instead of wanting to decide for himself and determine that future for everyone else, he knew that he would be glad just to touch some small part of it. To marry and give happiness to his wife. To have a child and give it the same love that his parents gave him. To have a friend and ease his burdedn now and then. To have a skill or a secret and teach it to a student whose life might be changed a little by what he learned. Why had he dreamed of leading armies, whichwould accomplish nothing, when he could do these miraculous small things and change the world?” 2 likes
“That's the difference between life and art, of course. Life has no frames, no curtains, no beginnings and no endings.” 1 likes