Start by marking “Reluctant Pioneer: How I Survived Five Years in the Canadian Bush” as Want to Read:
Reluctant Pioneer: How I Survived Five Years in the Canadian Bush

Reluctant Pioneer: How I Survived Five Years in the Canadian Bush

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Thomas Osborne delivers a gripping account of 1870s Ontario pioneer life.

The view 16-year-old Thomas Osborne first had of Muskoka was at night, trudging alone with his even younger brother along unmarked primitive roads to find their luckless father who, in 1875, had decided to make a new start for his beleaguered family on some "free land" in the bush east of the pioneer
Published May 18th 2013 by A J. Patrick Boyer Book (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Reluctant Pioneer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reluctant Pioneer

Sidney Fontaine
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I agree with the other reviewer that a map would have helped. But I'm still giving this book a full four stars simply because I learned so much from this read! It's a great insight into what life in the north would have been like. And the no-frills narration of this young man's day to day life was completely absorbing and fascinating.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who takes no interest in wilderness survival. But for those who have been camping, or enjoy getting out into the wilderness, thi
Chris
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book isn't great literature, but it's a great account of the author's life. I agree that a map would have helped, although i found myself repeatedly checking Google Maps to see the area even though I know it fairly well. I'm sure it was especially interesting because of my familiarity with so many of the places, but it also sent me check on the history of the area to see what happened to the Cann family and the Port Sydney storekeepers, etc. Really liked it.
Meagan Jesmer
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is written as though Thomas is sitting beside you and telling you his life story. I enjoyed the style in that it sounded as though my grandparents were telling me about their childhoods. You will read "In those days..." or "Around that time..." often, but it is a conversational tone you get used to. The story itself is very interesting and I loved getting to know the history of a region so close by!
Pam
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting recollection of time spent in the Huntsville area in the latter 1870s. From harsh weather to bountiful harvest it recounts all that was to be. Remarkable and insightful. A map would have helped.
Amazing how many many miles Osborne and others walked and canoed to reach their destinations.
Bonnie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was incredible! A story of a USA city boy who adapted to life in the 1870s in rugged northern Ontario. What the pioneers had to face trying to establish themselves just to live through the next season.
Kathy
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty simplistic writing, but a fun read especially for those of us that live in the area. History comes alive.
Gloria
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Interesting and, at the same time, a delightful account of a family as they settled into the harshness of backwoods Ontario. One wonders how the mind and body are so strong and resilient to withstand and tame such hardships as they enter a new land and create a new life. Certainly would recommend. A true account written in a very readable style.
Dree
This book desperately needs a map. Perhaps the print version has one? The version on Oyster does not, though there are photographs included.

An interesting story and I can believe that much of it is true--the harsh winters and difficult farming, the people starving and others just trying to escape their pasts.

But I find it hard to believe that Thomas Osborne would walk 50 miles over tough terrain in one day, in winter, with no food to eat but carrying plenty to sell. I find it hard to believe tha
T Button
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about the hardships faced by pioneers in the Muskoka area.
Mary-Ann Fuduric
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! I would have loved a map yo follow along!
Blaine Nicholson