Start by marking “Pink Slip Party” as Want to Read:
Pink Slip Party

Pink Slip Party

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,465 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
She's been handed her walking papers.
Jane McGregor has just been laid off from her job designing pink slips for an office supply company. The irony is not lost on her. She's a twenty-eight-year-old art major whose last major career accomplishment was being propositioned by the company vice president. Desperate to maintain her freedom from her oddball parents, tyrannical
Published March 16th 2004 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Pink Slip Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Slip Party

Megan
I have been threatening to read this book for 2 years. I'm not entirely sure it was a good move to read it.

While I found myself curious what was happening to Jane I didn't like her. Didn't get why it was supposedly funny she couldn't hold a job down or being a general lazy screw up while her brother gets a demon like character because he actually cares and he works.

Her friends suck. Her parents are sort of OK. Not sure about this book the more I think about it the more I think I didn't like it.
hyejin
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Cara Lockwood and I am definitely planning to pick up another. The main character gets laid off and desperately tries to find work while her life turns into a hot mess with the people she starts having around and their ideas that she gets dragged into. She's supposed to be depressed but the events are so funny you forget that minute detail. Her resumes and the responses she gets at the end of each chapter are so ridiculously funny. This book was my companion d ...more
Erin
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: brain-candy
"War and Peace" this is not. Yet, it was a cute read, if a little far-fetched at times. I found myself really liking the main character at first, but then began to get angry/anxious when she let everything slip out of control. To a point, I understood...but after awhile, sheesh! Have a backbone, woman! It was entertaining, though, if you are in the mood for some fun chick-lit.
Anne
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Have you ever read a chick lit book and laughed along while cringing at the same time? Jane, our protagonist, is a selfish, entitled brat. She’s been laid off for the third time, this time from a company that, ironically, manufacturers pink slips. She thinks she can pull her trump card, but going to her boyfriend, the VP of the Midwest division, but he dumps her at the same day!
Well, Jane, her best friend, Steph, and new roommate/fellow laid off employee, X, decide to commit a felony to get back
Sisma Dwi
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terjemahan, pinjem
Antara masa lalu dan masa yang sekarang sedang dihadapi. Jane McGregor harus menerima kenyataan dirinya harus dipecat dari pekerjaan yang tak pernah dicintainya oleh atasan yang sekaligus kekasihnya yang akhirnya mencampakkannya, melewati hari-hari sebagai pengagguran dengan teman-teman senasibnya, dan belum lagi orangtuanya yang nyaris bercerai karena ayahnya yang kehilangan pekerjaan serta iri kepada ibunya yang akhirnya bekerja di sebuah situs memasak. Namun Jane memiliki kakak yang terus men ...more
Ifnur Hikmah
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Komentar pertama: what the hell are you thinking, Jane? *getok kepala Jane*
Pink Slip Party bercerita tentang si clumsy-ceroboh-cenderung-bodoh-nggak-berpendirian-lemah Jane McGregor yang, apesnya, jadi satu dari 1000 karyawan Maximum Office yang dipecat. Bukan hanya itu, pacar Jane sekaligus bosnya, Mike, juga memutuskannya. Jadilah Jane pengangguran yang sehari-hari kerjanya nonton acara nggak penting di tv dan terjebak hutang. Begitu pesangon datang, bukannya ditabung malah hura-hura. Karena
Nina Ardianti
Niatnya mereview dalam bahasa Inggris, tapi berhubung bacanya dalam bahasa Indonesia, jadinya review dalam bahasa Indonesia aja ya, hehehe... (Okaaayy, ngaku kalau sebenernya lebih kepada masalah bahasa Inggris saya yang pas-pasan ;D)
Pertama kali beli karena melihat blurb di cover belakangnya yang menjanjikan. Kayaknya lucu dan khas chicklit banget. Bahkan saya bisa ngebayangin kalau ini dijadikan chickflick.
Dan ternyataaaa....

Ya emang bener sih, chicklit banget. Huehuehu...
Ini mirip-mirip lah s
Melea Rose-Waters
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy the way Cara Lockwood writes. It flows effortlessly for me and makes for a fun read every time I've opened one of her books.

While the main character is somewhat of a pushover at times, I liked her. She gets laid off from her job and her life becomes over run with deadbeats and overall just a mess.

A few nit-picky things: one, did the person who did the cover art even READ the book? Cover art says SO much to me about a book, and this doesn't even match up to the story at all. I th
Sari
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ciklit
ini novel sejenis ciklit, dari cara berceritanya yang cuma dari 1 sudut pandang, isi novel yg 80% narasi, permasalahan yg ada, sampe ending yg pasti berujung happy. Agak bosen baca novel jenis ini, sangat ga masuk akal, selalu ttg kebodohan tokoh utama cwnya yg cenderung aneh, lalu menjelang ending tiba" mendapat berkah hingga semua permasalahan yg dia buat menghilang dan mendapatkan cowo idaman yang biasanya berada disekitar dia selama ini. Sangat klise dan cenderung bodoh menurut gw. Bener kat ...more
Amy
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Cara Lockwood. She is so funny. I want to be her in my next life. I wish I could be as humorous and witty. This book is about Jane who loses her job and has to start the job search again. Jane talks a lot about how she wished she could get paid to stay home and watch TV and get paid for it. I secretly wish I could do that also! One thing I really liked was before each chapter there was a rejection letter from all the places Jane sent a resume to, places such as Hershey chocolate factory, ...more
Titah
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only have one comment to
this book. Mess!!!
Jane's life was so really mess. Job, friends, love nothin can go right in her life.
Get fired, dumped, rejected, thrown out of her own apartment, debt here and there -also- get in jail overnight.
Maybe Jane's nick name would be "chaotic" .
The only sane thing in Jane's life is just Kyle Burton.

overall, I like this novel. kinda simply fresh romantic. make me think that my life is batter (more-better) than Janes. And I enjoying my washing-dat while read
Carol
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I can't believe I just trashed TIme Traveler's Wife and gave it 2 stars and I am now giving this fluff beach read book a 3 star rating! I guess for me the difference is this book does not pretend to be more then very light reading...like watching a sit com...like an old episode of Friends. But there is a modern day story with modern semi-realistic young late 20s characters and for a quick vacation read it is just what you want.
fe
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
finally finished this tonight! I only read this because I had to translate this, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Jane is someone that everyone can relate to. she can't say no to her friends, people underestimate her, people use her. she has many flaws, flaws and mistakes that any of us can easily do any time of the day.
Genevieve
Jul 09, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fun-loving, young-pro girls
This was a surprising bargain-bin find! I just picked it up for fun and the author ended up being incredibly hilarious! I found myself constantly laughing out loud. The plot did get to some riduclous points & fell into a lull, but the humor kept it strong. You found yourself wanting to be best-friends with the main character.
Kim
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was able to read this book while taking care of Ben out at the lake in about two days. I'm glad to know that I can get a book finished! This was definitely a beach read ---- nothing fantastic about this book. It tries to be like the "Shopoholic" books, but falls short of being that fuuny. Definitely a brainless read.
Nina
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started off with a neat idea - pissed off about being laid off, Jane decides to get a little revenge on her former employer. Well, her roommate decides she needs revenge. In the form of stealing some (lots of) money from the company.
But then morals and ethics get involved, and Jane meets a new man, and it all falls apart into a chick lit story of girl getting guy. Sigh.
Meredith Miller
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this quick read. Finished it leisurely in one day. Jane is a riot. I now have to read Cara Lockwood's first book. My only complaint is the Unemployment scenes. No one goes to unemployment any more, it is just a click away on your computer. If you've been unemployed, you would know that!! Still loved it. Horray for chick-lit!!
Dhini
I gave it 3.5 stars. I enjoyed reading this book. I especially liked the humor, it makes this story more interesting. It's a light, fun romantic comedy. And there are some good points we can learn from this book, that to be laid off does not mean the end of the world and do not even think to get involved with crime, ever.
Christy
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I think this is my favorite of the Cara Lockwood books I've read. It was also the first, as far as I remember. A woman makes pink slips for a living and then receives one when she's fired. Then it gets a little "Office Space" with a revenge plan on the old workplace, which was a little far fetched, but all in good fun.
Jenn
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was a fun book for anyone who likes fluffy chick-lit books and has ever gone through the experience of losing a job and having your whole world thrown for a loop. I thought it was a fun, lightweight read but nothing to write home about.
Christin Natalia
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saya suka dengan humor yang ada di buku ini. Bahkan menurut saya kekonyolan dan tingkah laku aneh para karakternya masih bisa dimaklumi. Narasinya enak diikuti sehingga tidak terasa membosankan atau bertele-tele. Saya tidak sabar ingin membaca chick lit Cara Lockwood lainnya.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Nov 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me a bit of Jen Lancaster's book Bitter is the New Black, mostly in the style only and the storyline is very similar. The main difference is that Jen's story is her story and this book is fiction.

Good book, very enjoyable and worth a read
ReBecca
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
A simple book. Doesn't require a lot of thinking to read. If you're looking for a mindless book to take your mind off things this is a great book to read. It's a fast read, does have some funny parts, and tells the story of one women's struggle with being laid off from her job!
Anna Katharine
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
It's been a few years since I seriously read chick lit, but this reminds me strongly of Anna Maxted- a protagonist handling some serious issues with the requisite happy ending. Anna Maxted Lite, perhaps. Another good beach read.
Sara
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book but it is always hard for me to read books where the main character does not have her shit together. Likewise hard to read books where the characters cannot stand up for themselves and let people run all over them. Other than that - entertaining, light read.
Indah Purwanti
hmm,,I think this book will bring me too much comedy but,,,this book is flat and don't express so much comedy, but I love the way Jane confront the problem,,and finally get the job that she really want it, go to France and of course be a girlfriend of Kyle =)
Linda
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny!
Aviva
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Not remotely realistic, yet still an amusing book
Erin
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
read it it one sitting. i really liked it. predictable but enjoyable!
Amy
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: im-addicted
I totally love this book! It has friendship, love, family, drama and humor all in one. Loved it that it's a first person story.
Goodreads Librari...: Title correction and combine editions 2 16 Jun 14, 2013 05:38PM
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • Born to Be Somebody (from Never Say Never): Big Note Piano, Sheet
  • Fat Chance
  • Roommates
  • Loose Screws
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Harry Styles Annual 2013
  • Pink Princess Rules The School (Perfectly Princess)
  • Joyride
  • Miley Cyrus: Breakout
  • The Ex Files
  • Your Big Break
  • Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again
I'm the USA Today bestselling author of more than 17 books. I've written in a number of genres: chick lit, romance, suspense, paranormal and young adult. My debut novel, I Do (But I Don't) was made into a Lifetime Original movie.

I grew up in Mesquite, Texas, which for those of you who like livestock shows, is the home of the Mesquite Rodeo. Ironically, Mesquite was named after Mesquite trees, only
More about Cara Lockwood

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“It's better to put yourself out there and get hurt than to never take the chance at all.” 2 likes