Start by marking “Iphigenie auf Tauris” as Want to Read:

Iphigenie auf Tauris

Da sie Diana ihr Leben verdankt, dient Iphigenie der Göttin auf der Insel Tauris als Priesterin, obwohl sie sich schmerzlich nach ihrer Heimat Griechenland sehnt. Als ihr Bruder Orest auf die Insel kommt und der Göttin geopfert werden soll, muss Iphigenie sich zwischen Pflicht und eigenen Wünschen entscheiden. Goethes Bearbeitung des antiken Stoffs, die er 1786 endgültig a ...more
Published 1986 by Reclam (first published 1786)

To ask other readers questions about Iphigenie auf Tauris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iphigenie auf Tauris

İntellecta
It is widely known that this book is difficult to understand. Various moral goods, personal integrity, responsibility, etc., all of which can be treated wonderfully in this book, and the appendix, with its historical, biographical, production-describing, and prescription aesthetic aspects, is certainly a great help.

Zitat:
Iphigenie: Der Zweifel ist's, der Gutes böse macht.
Seite 67
Ahmad Sharabiani
Iphigenie auf Tauris = Iphigenia in Tauris, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Iphigenia in Tauris (German: Iphigenie auf Tauris) is a reworking by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe of the ancient Greek tragedy (Iphigeneia en Taurois) by Euripides. Euripides' title means "Iphigenia among the Taurians", whereas Goethe's title means "Iphigenia in Taurica", the country of the Tauri. Goethe wrote the first version of his play in six weeks, and it was first performed on April 6, 1779, in prose form. He rewrote it in
Markus
Iphigenie auf Tauris
By Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (composed in 1779)

“Iphigenia auf Tauris” is a play in a distant orbit around the Iliad.

The reader of the” Iliad” will remember that Iphigenia was sacrificed by her father Agamemnon to appease Diana, the goddess, to obtain favorable winds to carry the Grecian Warships to the shores of Troy.

In Goethe’s play Diana safes Iphigenia’s life at the last moment, in secretly substituting her, hidden in a cloud, for the body of a young deer.

Diana takes Iphi
Kaja
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well the book was not as bad at I had thought at first but it it is just really... boring. Everything just seems so obvious and it really lacks tension.
Asyoulikeit
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
I doubt that those 1* ratings come from people who actually finished it. So,the idea is: Don't rate anything you can't finish
Perry Whitford
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Must gentle woman quite forego her nature,—
Force against force employ,—like Amazons,
Usurp the sword from man, and bloodily
Revenge oppression?

After willingly sacrificing herself for the favorable auspices of the Greek fleet at Aulis, Iphigenia was transported to Tauris by the goddess Artemis at the last moment, where her miraculous appearance civilized the barbaric customs of the people.

After serving there in the temple for many years, the good work she has done is threatened when her brother O
David Radavich
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how many people still read Goethe these days, and of those who do, read the plays. But his dramatic masterpiece, IPHIGENIA IN TAURIS, is exquisite and deeply satisfying, one of Goethe's most perfect literary works. The title character is wise and benevolent, fully in keeping with the author's tolerant humanism. And surprisingly, Goethe has improved on Euripides' abrupt, miraculous deux ex machina at the end. In this version, the denouement arises naturally out of the moral suasion o ...more
Sue
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think the story could be really good but I really don't understand ANYTHING!
Dyan
Such pompous language is used that I continuously have to look up what's actually happening.. Could be my German skills, could be bad writing.

I get why things like these are groundbreaking in their time, but I'm not sure if this should still be canon.
Czarny Pies
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have already read the original by Euripides.
Shelves: german-lit
Goethe's adaption of Euripides' "Iphigenia in Tauris" is diametrically opposed to the original in several key areas. Goethe at least establishes the same mood as he rigorously follows the closed dramatic form prescribed by Aristotle's which includes unity of time and space. However while Euripides describes how two members of the family of Atreus are driven from crisis by an implacable fate Goethe shows us Iphigenia making a courageous stand that will put an end to the fatal cycle of murder and ...more
Marsupilami
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really interested in Greek mythology, therefore was this one of two books I had to read in school that actually liked for a change.
Jason
Oct 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't understand a word of this!
Jordan
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was surprised - I did not expect to like this book, given my rather poor choices in classics lately.
I love the writing, but that is no surprise when it comes to Goethe.

The most interesting part about this book is definetely Iphengie's inner conflict. She has her duty as a priestess; she is grateful for everything Thoas has done for her (she still does not want to marry him, which is understandable since she sees him as a second father) and she finally is reunited with her brother.

We learn fro
Amelie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aurora
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
my first Goethe!
Marvin Solms
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Important text of German Classicism. Read and decide for yourself!
Sunnie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Goethe, which means the language is beautiful, but the hype evades me. It's just so short an episode and so little engaging. Reading it as an example of Goethe's skill? Sure. For fun? Nah.
Realini
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Iphigenia in Tauris by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

For some reason, I have an issue with some of the ancient plays.
Come to think of it, the problem is with most of them.
And I do not know why.
It may become something of a mindset.
A new- ancient play to listen sets me off in a deaf mode or something.
The other possibility is that I have troubles at home and it shows.
I am trying to apply the positive psychology therapy.
This includes the idea of thinking about meaningful things and not your problems.
A p
Trang
Iphigenia! Is she selfless, or selfish? Is she guided by personal desires or is she, as she claims, dedicated to the will of the gods? Is she naive, or is she honorable when she refuses to lie and lays out her entire escape plan to Thoas? Is she strong in refusing to marry Thoas out of duty, or does she symbolize female weakness by throwing herself and all around her at his mercy towards the end? Ought she give in merely because he has been kind and fatherly towards her? Or does she return home, ...more
Spylow
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first saw it as a play. Kind of accidently happend to see it, got the seats in the theater from some friends. Wouldn't have bought them myself. But the story caught me right away and after seeing the play I had to read it.
It's about Iphigenie who was ment to be scarifieced by her father to the greek gods to get good wind for Athens war ships to sail to Troy. But she was stolen and brought to far away place (Tauris) and became a priestess in a temple. Many years later her brother and his crew s
Steve Gordon
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"With iron hand Necessity commands; her stern decree is law supreme, to which the gods themselves must yield submission. In dread silence rules the uncounsell'd sister of eternal fate. What she appoints thee to endure, - endure; What to perform, - perform." A romanticized version of Euripides' original. Excellent.
Oceana2602
School reading. I mostly remember that we were given the choice between this and Faust, and the majority of the class chose this on account of it being shorter than Faust.
*headdesk*

Still, a good book. Then of course, it's Goethe, so what do you expect.
Jack
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Beautifully written, like everything Goethe ever wrote, but unfortunately the character of Iphigenie was blanched to fit Goethe's feminine ideal. Still a good read, but I couldn't get over the fact that I vastly preferred plot of the Euripides version.
Michelle
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
I like the society-critic role Iphigenie played and how she portrayed the independent woman who'd rather help her brother than saving herself.
Anica
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
One of those books which I had to read for school/university that I really enjoy. I suppose it is because of the topic. When it comes to ancient gods I am just very much interested. :)
Melanie
Dec 13, 2010 rated it liked it
In short, Goethe's Iphigenie has a much weirder relationship with her father figures than Euripides'.

I wrote a paper about this play last year... yeah I'm sick of talking about it.
Jessica
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
hä?
Max
Nov 01, 2008 added it
It was interesting to see the influence Goethe's context and literary style had on reconstructing this Greek myth from Euripides.
Lara Lavenza

• Deutschland, ein Wintermärchen
  • Pole Poppenspäler
  • Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit
  • Der arme Spielmann
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was a German writer. George Eliot called him "Germany's greatest man of letters... and the last true polymath to walk the earth." Goethe's works span the fields of poetry, drama, literature, theology, humanism, and science. Goethe's magnum opus, lauded as one of the peaks of world literature, is the two-part drama Faust. Goethe's other well-known literary works include h ...more
“An unused life is an early death.” 21 likes