Start by marking “Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement” as Want to Read:

For many years, coauthors Rick DuFour and Bob Marzano have been co-travelers on the journey to help educators improve their schools. As Rick has focused on bringing the professional learning community process to life in schools, he has relied heavily on Bob's vast research on effective teaching and effective leadership. Bob has come to the conclusion that the best environm ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Solution Tree (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Leaders of Learning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaders of Learning

Start your review of Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
La-Shanda
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement focuses on Professional Learning Community (PLCs), common planning, building teacher capacity and the role of school-site administrators. If you are aspiring to be a school-site administrator or truly want to make a difference in student achievement using PLCs, common planning and teacher-centered assessment, then this book is for you.
JAGged
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plcs
The first four chapters can easily be skipped, unless you're a principal, or you need convincing. ...more
Tyler McCubbin
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The key to leadership is developing the capacity of others to accomplish a collective endeavor, not doing it all yourself. . . To be the best leader you can be, don't hoard power; give it away. Don't view yourself as the heroic individual who will single-handedly improve your district, school, or classroom; view yourself as a hero-maker who develops the leadership potential of those you serve." (207)

In my time as a teacher, I've become introduced to the richness of leaders like Richard DuFour a
Karen
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A few good nuggets, but mostly common sense...
- "Every person who enters the field of education has both an opportunity and an obligation to be a leader."
- "Someone is looking to you right now for leadership."
- School reform is about changing people.
- Peers need to support and pressure each other to do better.
- The best leaders are in love with the work they do, their purpose, and with those they lead and serve. They view their position as a calling.
- Leadership is about love.
Lynne Beavers
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This book espouses the Professional Learning Community concept as a more viable route to leadership. "It is time to let go of the myth of the charismatic individual leader who has it all figured out...Effective leaders recognize that they cannot accomplish great things alone...leadership capacity is broadly distributed in the population and is accessible to anyone who has passion and purpose to change things as they are." ...more
Casey Wright
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marzano and DuFour put together an easy to follow recipe for education leaders in order to bring out the best in students, teachers, and school leaders. The PLC time is incredibly important and integral to student learning. Leadership can be found at all levels and teachers who help others are among the most successful. I’ve highlighted so many great ideas to try from this book!
Cullen McDowell
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read. Helped to set the stage for our strategic planning throughout this year.
Mr. Brammer
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
DuFour, as the earliest proponent and instigator of the PLC process, has a lot invested in its success. It's refreshing how dismissive of previous reform movements he is, drawing the ultimate conclusion that successful teachers are successful collaborators, and that a school that follows the PLC process with fidelity will see large gains in student achievement.

While I generally agree with these conclusions, they are just a piece in the puzzle. Often times what ends up happening is that good tea
Ken
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
It's truly the Daily Double when you tag-team Richard DuFour and Robert Marzano (kingpins of the "Cartel," as they call it). And you can always count on good, solid, and sober stuff when you read them, even combined. Exciting? Hardly. "You've got to read this!" caliber? Not nearly. But a few nuggets may be ingested. For me, the best part is the opening pitch about every single one of us (in education) being a leader. Their singing my song when they riff on that note.

If your school is heavy into
Laurie
A great overview of the big ideas, concepts, and misconceptions. I also just spent three days at a conference hearing people speak about this. I feel a little brainwashed and overwhelmed.

Also, it makes a subtle (although at times, not so) case for the ineffectiveness of other reform efforts, all while speaking in general terms and citing themselves as evidence from their research. It's hard at times to to feel like these men got together from a PLC circle jerk.

In the end I am convinced this wou
Jane
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership, education
This book really nails what it takes to turn schools in to true learning communities--and it is also brutally honest about the work involved. Leaders who are "dipping" into professional learning communities need to use this book as a thermometer--are they really leading this movement or simply mandating superficial things? Read to understand District, Principal, team leader and teacher responsibilities that need to be covered for true collaboration... ...more
Ken
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book that provides a good overview of the Professional Learning Communities that the authors propose as the best way to improve student achievement. This book does a great job of making real life applications of their strategies.
I would recommend this book to non educators if you wanted to get a good overview of the latest reform efforts that are working to improve student achievement.
Brian
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Started strong making a great case for PLCs and the value that they can bring to a campus professional development environment. However, they lost me when they talked about implementation and a total revamp of how curriculum is written and how tests are graded. I understand it was only an example, but they left me with little when it comes to actual implementation strategies that will work well on campuses that have only one teacher teaching every subject.
Emichail
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I wish this had been my 1st DuFour book. Since it was my 3rd, it just reiterated what his workshops & other published works teach about PLC's.

I recommend reading it if you're starting to learn about how to implement PLC's, but consider it a quick skim if you're already familiar with the DuFours.
Lanell
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Definitely textbook style but I actually learned a lot. Read this because I was asked to by the principal at my school. Other than chapters 6-7 the book was not terrible. Again lots of information I can use in the work setting.
Temoca
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a quick read. My principal has been reading it and passed it along to me. I like that some of the points are ones I have incorporated and much of it makes sense. The statistical information is pretty scary. I hope we can start effecting change in our academic system.
Kerry Gain
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great, great book - but you would expect greatness when Marzano and DuFour get together! Also loved that my friend Darwin Spiller is cited as an example of a great leader in the last chapter -- all of his hard work has really paid off!!
Teri
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
If you are interested in implementing PLCs on your campus, then this truly is THE book to read. Be prepared for some brain washing. The prevalent tone, in my opinion, is that PLCs can solve virtually every campus problem.
Kelsey Keith
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is GOLD for any school, department, or grade-level leader trying to implement PLCs as a means of improving student achievement. The chapters on guaranteed curriculums, monitoring student learning, and responding when students don't learn were among my favorites in this book. ...more
David
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Good overview of PLC structures. Starts with good stats about current education. Some chapters more relevant than others
Hanrong Tham
A must read for a school leaders who are leading PLCs. It highlights many misconceptions of PLCs and what pitfalls to avoid when leading PLCs.
Carla
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helped me to better understand the Professional Learning Community trend and some insights into Response to Intervention.
Ouida
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Must read for administrators. Highlights the importance of systemic culture of learning communities from the central office to the classroom.
Karen James
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
First couple chapters were good... A bit of a ramped up version of PLCs and district leadership. Not bad but not earth shatering.
Richard
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: plc, hard-copy, education
There were some great points. Definitely a must read. This book contributes nicely to other books on the topic.
Melissa Marie
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this book for a master's class on becoming a principal. Pretty easy to follow and a relatable guy. I enjoyed it. ...more
Lynn
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great book on how to make teaching effective. Difficult to see how to accomplish it.
Jackie
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone involved in school PLCs.
Dave
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Solid reading about how to lead and create collaborative cultures within the educational community.
David Koogler
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for educational administrators who wish to improve student learning in their schools.

• Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
  • For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood... and the Rest of Y'all Too: Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education
  • Mathematical Mindsets: Unleashing Students' Potential Through Creative Math, Inspiring Messages and Innovative Teaching
  • The Jetsetters
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • Pedagogy of the Oppressed
  • The Impact Cycle: What Instructional Coaches Should Do to Foster Powerful Improvements in Teaching
  • Beyond Test Scores: A Better Way to Measure School Quality
  • In Search of Deeper Learning: The Quest to Remake the American High School
  • Tell Me Who You Are: Sharing Our Stories of Race, Culture, & Identity
  • Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: 17 Things That Matter Most
  • Collaborative Leadership: Six Influences That Matter Most
  • Legal Rights of Teachers and Students
  • Action Research in Education: A Practical Guide
  • Zak George's Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love

News & Interviews