Start by marking “Out of the Killing Fields--Into the Light: Interviews with Mormon Converts from Cambodia” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
During the time the Khmer Rouge communists ruled Cambodia, over a million people were tortured and killed. This book chronicles the miracles of several Cambodian refugees who found their way out of the killing fields and into the light and joy of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Inspirational and touching, this fascinating volume will fill you with awe.
Published August 8th 2011 by Cedar Fort, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Killing Fields--Into the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Killing Fields--Into the Light

Jileen
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is truly the full range of darkness and light. I was only made aware of the Khmer Rouge and the Killing Fields in the past year and had no idea of the atrocities. I had seen several books on it but didn't fully know what it was.

A member of my church is originally from Cambodia and immigrated to California and then to Texas with her current family. It was her husband who told me about this book because her story is one of the many that are shared. When I received the book in the mail,
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
4.5 stars!

What Astronomers Know by Shoni Conrad

Once a summer,
comes a night of shooting stars,
inspiring tourists
Who
after all,
will recognize him
more completely
than those who have grown in the dark,
leaning toward imaginings of light,
waiting,
with all their candled hopes burning,
filaments
in the broad night?

This poem was a perfect sum up for this book. These Cambodian refugees were in the dark searc
Karen
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asia
I had finished reading "First They Killed my Father," and then saw this come to the market at Deseret Book. Great timing! It was a lift after reading the other accounts which don't end with finding the gospel. The last chapter discusses "how hell happens," how Cambodia came to the point of such upheaval and tries to help the reader comprehend how the genocide could be committed by neighbors, friends and children. Communism has to be one of the worst things anyone has ever invented.
Elijah Christopher
A few years ago I read The Pol Pot Regime. That book awakened my interest to the tyrannic and diabolic rule and methods used by the Khmer Rouge, and the stories born from the sufferings of the Cambodian people. The stories and analyses I read in The Pol Pot regime were mostly of the murdering, depriving and hating of one race to another, so I didn't know quite what to expect from Out of the Killing Fields-Into the Light. What I found was that the promise written on the cover to inspire was profu ...more
Stephanie
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 14+
Inspiring stories of people caught in no-win situations. Touching, thought provoking, painful, humbling. Be sure to read the notes from the author at the end, to miss them is to miss the point of reading this book.

Contains violence and scenes that could be hard on some individuals (ages 'teen and up type' book), though these are handled in the best possible way and with just a taste of the horrors must have been. It is through books like these that we are able to learn about such events in our
Timber
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a powerful, quick read. I couldn't put it down. It is amazing that anyone could survive the circumstances that these people endured. Reading this book made me so grateful for all the little comforts & blessings that I all too often take for granted.

My only fault with the book was that I wish many of the stories were more complete. I wanted to know 20 pages of details, but only got an overview in the 2 or 3 page narrative. I wish the interviewer had pressed for more details so that
Heidi-Marie
A good choice for our R.S. book group. At times it seemed the stories blended in to each other, but then there were enough differences that made each person's experiences their own. I got a little welled up at some. I loved reading the experience of the husband and wife without realizing they were until the end of the 2nd story. I loved seeing how they found hope and peace, but that they were realistic that life still had problems. The Gospel just helped them learn how to deal with them. Short, ...more
Tonya
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read about Cambodia / Khmer Rouge / Killing Fields. This is the collected stories (a few pages each - wished they were longer) of 12 cambodian immigrants that went to the same ward in Long Beach, California. The similarities in their stories tell the history of what happened and what people had to face to get through it. The stories mostly made me grateful to live in the United States, and made me realize how much we take for granted.
Melissa
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
What an interesting read of many Cambodians and their stories how they escaped communist Cambodia and found the gospel in the USA. Each story was unique, but I found myself wanting more detail. But that being said, it bore witness to me of the deep love the lord has for His children. Story after story was general and short, but every single time these people were given miracles and tender mercies leading them eventually to the gospel.
Carolina
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Great book as far as letting people know what happened during the reign of the Khmer Rouge. However, I wasn't crazy about how the book was set up. The individual stories were too similar, so it became a bit boring after a while to read the same thing. If it were written as a narrative, with the individual stories woven through, I think I would have liked it better. Otherwise, great stories of people overcoming terrible atrocities and finding their way to the gospel.
Mindee
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This book tells the stories of several Cambodians who survived the atrocities of the Khmer Rouge and the leader Pol Pot. Some narratives were short and I was left wanting more of the story. Still a good read to give you more of an understanding of the terror Pol Pot put upon the people of Cambodia.
Michelle
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, spiritual
This small book had a lot of heartache and pain in it; these are interviews recorded by a Church member who worked with a Cambodian branch in California and recorded the stories of suffering and atrocities and then their journeys finding hope and healing.
Jill
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great group of stories to help you understand the realitites of Pol Pot's genocide in Cambodia, what life was like in refugee camps in Thailand, and what life was like adjusting as refugees in America, particularly Long Beach as immigrants.
Nathan Glenn
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and quick read. Many of the stories are very similar. It is horrifying to read of the experience of these people. The last chapter is a very interesting and relevant essay on agency, communism and salvation that I think everyone should read.
Julia
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's amazing to read stories of how people survived in Cambodia. Interesting how so many found peace and a home in the gospel.
Jen
Lindsay
Sep 19, 2016
Leslie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stories about people living in Cambodia in the 1970s when a brutal regime took over. The trials are heartbreaking and unimaginable. They all eventually make it to the United Stated and join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (I hope that wasn’t a spoiler.). Their stories are amazing and I encourage you to take a look at this book. For me, it helped me to realize again the truths of the gospel and the peace it brings.
Violet O