Start by marking “Goddess With a Blade (Goddess With A Blade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Goddess With a Blade (Goddess With A Blade, #1)

Goddess With a Blade

(Goddess with a Blade #1)

Rowan Summerwaite is no ordinary woman. Physical vessel to the Celtic Goddess Brigid and raised by the leader of the Vampire Nation, she's a supercharged hunter with the power to slay any vampire who violates the age-old treaty.

A recent string of murders has her at odds with Las Vegas's new Scion, the arrogant and powerful Clive Stewart. The killings have the m
Published June 1st 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Goddess With a Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goddess With a Blade

Start your review of Goddess With a Blade (Goddess With A Blade, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)

DNF at: 35% . Because there is only so much crap I can take.

Friendly warning : the introduction to this crappy non review is slightly longer than the crappy non review itself. So if you want to get straight to the crappy non-review part of this crappy non-review, skip the first three paragraphs (and corresponding gifs decorations) of this crappy non review. You are quite welcome and stuff.

Note to self #1: the fact that a book has the word "blade" in its title is no guarantee against disaster and spontaneous combustion.
Note to self #2: next time you decide""
Someone's Potato

Ok here goes my mini review in which I will try not to rant about everything I hated strongly disliked in this book. Key word, try.

The flow of the writing and the main character's reasoning in the first couple of chapters is so terrible I literally don't know what to write here. The main character is introduced as a Vampire- hating "Hunter" who dislikes the "arrogant vampire scion" that she meets in the first chapter. In her second meeting with the dude, she storms into the Vamp central, they argue a bit an
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Lauren Dane is well know for her erotic romances, so I should be clear up front that GODDESS WITH A BLADE is not erotica. It is rightly categorized as an urban fantasy even more than paranormal romance. The sexual content is steamy, but not more so then other titles in the genre.

Now that that’s out of the way, I really enjoyed GODDESS WITH A BLADE once it got going. The beginning was a little rough and the writing a little clunky
Mrs. Badass
3.5/5 or B+
posted at : http://badassbookreviews.com/2011/05/...

This was my first Lauren Dane read and I can say that I'll be taking a closer look at her back list fairly soon. Goddess with a Blade was an entertaining read, full of Egotistical, Alpha Vampires and Power infused, snarky females.

The premise was interesting. A Goddess chosen -human female- who was raised by vampires. Rowan is a Hunter. A Hunter's job is to find and slay rogue vampires who break the Treaty. The law clearly states -Do not Kill Humans-. Pretty
taveena kade
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“His amusement was spiced by the way he seemed to go wild for her when she was extra prickly.
“You are a magnificent woman. Strong. Sexy. Powerful. I like you, even when you’re being a wretched bitch.”
She gasped a little laugh when he nipped her lip and kissed the corner of her mouth, drinking in the way it curved up so perfectly.
“I’m not a wretched bitch, Scion. I’m a fierce bitch. There’s a huge difference.”

Laurie Garrison
May 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It’s been a while since I hit a book that I didn’t like, I knew it was coming. Goddess with a Blade is pure Urban Fantasy and one I didn’t care for. I got this book off of netgalley under romance (they so need a category for UF) and as most of you know romance is what I love, so I figured since I loved Lauren Dane’s Chase brothers this one would be alright, so not, I should have looked on Lauren website before I requested this one ugh. The majority of the book is written in Rownas POV and the ro ...more
Princess J. Antoinette
Pretty good so far... I do love it that their's a badass heroine, so it's starting on a good foot in that category at least. But I haven't formed a complete opinion of this series yet. The jury still seems to be out until I've read more books of this series.

Overall rating:
4* ~ Good Read
Jane Stewart
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wasn’t enjoying it. I wanted it to be over.

Rogue vampire is killing humans. Rowan, Clive, and the cops are all working independently to find the killer. There’s not much plot development of that. It drags.

Meanwhile, periodically when Rowan and Clive are together, talking or arguing about something, all of a sudden they have sex. There’s no romance or passionate desire. It’s more mechanical than emotional - like eating a fast meal.

A few times the back story c
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Rowan is a special human, she is the true Vessel of the Celtic triple goddess Brigid, which gives her some in-human powers and strength. She carries a blessed blade, created to kill Vampires. She is the enforcer of the treaty between the Hunters and the Vampire Nation in Las Vegas. Am I seeing a pattern with Ms. Dane's fascination for Vegas? Love it!

While enforcing this treaty she killed the prior Scion (or head of the Vampire Nation) in L
Pamela / SpazP
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
4.5 Stars
Rowan Summerwaite is the first true vessel of a Celtic goddess who carries a blade forged and blessed by warrior shamans, created to kill Vampires. With her skills and blade, she is a Hunter, responsible for ensuring the Vampires in Las Vegas uphold the treaty that created the Vampire Nation, preventing them from killing humans. She single-handedly took out the previous worthless and corrupt Scion – leader of the Vampire Nation – and has spen
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘

Ah man, this book was awesome! Just what i needed at the time. I love the whole thing, and i can't understand why not more people have read this awesome series!?! It's incredible, and i finished it in no time :O I hated that, to be honest... I didn't want it to end, but lucky me, #2 was out, so i could just jump to that one straight away. Though now i have to wait for book #3 :( And i want more now. I seriously don't know why i have waited so freaking long to read this series?! I mean, come on,
harlequin {Stephanie}
This cover drew me in. Good urban fantasy story. Not as fast paced as I would have liked. It is a short book after all. When we are served up some action tis' very nice.

Not this mind blowing, but it has it's moments.

Image credit

Still really enjoyed it.
Latasha
DNF

this sounded like a great book but it's just not for me. if you like romance and steamy stories, go for it. you'll probably love it.
Susi
Originally posted at Book Lovers Inc

An urban fantasy with vampires and a heroine who's the vessel of an honest to god(-dess) goddess? Sounds pretty intriguing to me. But this novel offers so much more. The world Dane creates is detailed and vibrant. The way her characters lead us through the story shows how much love and work she’s put into this one. But let me start at the beginning.

We meet Rowan Summerwaite in Las Vegas where she hunts the vampires who break the rules and sho
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I really enjoyed reading Goddess With A Blade, it is an urban fantasy/ paranormal romance mix filled with suspense, vampires, romance, and even a Goddess. The heroine in this story is Rowen, a human girl who shares her body with Brigid, a goddess. Because Rowen is the vessel for the Goddess, she is very powerful and strong, and she uses these extra powers to kill vampires who kill and break the law. Rowen is a Hunter, it is her job to keep the supernatural community in line, and she is excellent ...more
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had very high hopes for this book in the beginning as it seemed to be going in an excellent direction. Lauren Dane has a great way of writing likeable character's by showcasing not only their strong points and attractiveness, but also in their weak areas and quirky habits too. Goddess With a Blade started out good introducing Rowan Summerwaite, a Vampire Hunter, who lives in Las Vegas and brings the law into her own hands when the vamps are naughty. She, along with her Hunter Association, has ...more
Bunnycore
Goddess with a Blade. This was a very interesting book. I Love the way Rowan was with Clive, there was some mystery there and what a great concept. A goddess' vessel who also polices the supernatural. I love that.

I love the arrogance Clive has but you can that there is more to him then just that where Rowan is concerned. I love well I loved this book so just pick it up and give it a good read it's worth it.

Happy reading!!!!

Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
~* 3.5 Stars *~
A Lot of Story in One Package

Her calling is simple: kill Vampires who kill people, thereby breaking the treaty with Hunter Corp. Her existence is...less so. As Vessel of Celtic triple goddess Brigid, she's something that has existed only a handful of times throughout history. Not human. Faster. Stronger. Gifted with a few magics. And highly trained to be very, very deadly. She is Rowan Summerwaite.

She's loathes Vampires with a singular intensity, so being called to a
Nicole
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/06/17/...

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out Now
How I got this book: NetGalley

I wanted to love this book. Urban Fantasy is my first love, and I’m usually a fan of Dane’s work, but I have to say I was a little disappointed in this one.

Rowan is the Vessel for the goddess Brigid and her job as Hunter is to make sure that the vampires of Las Vegas stick to their treaty and not kill humans. But a mad vampire is on the loose, kil
Kelly
I almost don't know where to start with this review because there were simply so many things I loved about this book. In fact, I'm feeling the love so much I hope I don't embarrass anybody with my effusive gushing.

First things first- Lauren Dane writes amazing characters. Not just in this book, either. Every one of her books has these incredibly strong women who burst out of the pages. You might think it would be a challenge to match these women with men who can meet their strength w
Heather
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasyromance
Rowan is badass, in the best of ways. She is confident, capable, and successful – and wants nothing to do with the new Scion, Clive. She thinks he has a stick up his butt, but when she pushes his buttons – oh, my. I needed a fan. And Clive hates that he finds her so attractive. The big battle lies between them having to decide between duty and passion – or can they have both?

I LOVED Goddess with a Blade. It was smart, funny, and sexy. The plot was engaging, particularly the use of th
MostlyDelores
Edited to add: It really doesn't hold up as well on re-read. Dane is surprisingly misogynistic in her treatment of female characters other than the heroine.

***************************

I liked it. Rowan was an awesome MC and Clive (Clive? Clive!) was super annoying but got away with it. My only real quibble was (view spoiler) ...more
Louise
Initially I nearly threw this book aside with a giant WTF!! at the interactions between our hero, Rowan and our vampire Scion, Clive. Glad i persevered because it soon became apparent our author has a bit of a dark sense of humour because neither parties want or encourage what is happening and it leads to some memorable scenes.
Strong female lead with some good sarcasm, action and bawdy language. Really looking forward to picking up more in this series.
Elena
This was a good paranormal novel, but something was missing. It was an interesting start to a series, but not interesting enough to keep me going ... honestly i don't think there was anything that would cause me to keep reading the following books... The mystery is not amazing, the romance between the couple was not even there (they humped against the wall the first time they saw each other and it wasn't even hot - it was like "Harlequin romance" tame)... OVerall - not much to it ...
Summer
I like Lauren Dane's writing, at least all of it that I've read so far. I didn't necessarily find this bad, just I wasn't all that into the plot or the characters and once I set it down realized I just didn't care enough to pick it back up.
✿Danielle✿
Read 7/8/14
Read 19/7/19
Paula
Jun 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didn't get very far with this. The h was up herself, or at lease acted it. The reader got Told things not shown them. The story looked good I just didn't like the writing style. DNF at 11%
Angela
Feb 18, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
23 September 2015: $1.99 on Kindle

22 June 2015: $2.99 on Kindle
Debbie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly enjoyable
Rowan Summerwaite is a vampire Hunter and the first vessel of Bridget in 400 years. Raised by the first vampire as his goddaughter. He taught and trained her well. She is a member of the Hunter Council and is based in Las Vegas. Having killed the previous scion of Vegas and cleared of any unlawful killing she returns to meet the new scion Clive Stewart. He is British and as uptight as his starched boxers. Sparks fly when they are left alone for a few minutes and each fights
Goodreads Librari...: Merge Series? 3 17 Jun 08, 2015 11:31AM

• Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • American Witch
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • Death's Daughter (Realm Walker, #2)
  • Dead of Night (Thorne Hill, #1)
  • Diamonds and Blood (Chameleon Assassin #5)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • Witchling Academy: Semester One (Spell Traveler Chronicles, #1)
  • Peace, Blood, and Understanding (Half-Moon Hollow #7)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)
  • The Witchkin Murders (Magicfall, #1)
  • Shadows (Dark in You #5)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Sentinel of Darkness (Darkness #8)
  • Who Needs Enemies
Lauren Dane has been writing stories since she was able to use a pencil, and before that she used to tell them to people. Of course, she still talks nonstop, and through wonderful fate and good fortune, she’s now able to share what she writes with others. It’s a wonderful life!

The basics: Lauren is a mom, a partner, a best friend and a daughter. Living in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Nor

Goddess with a Blade (6 books)
  • Blade to the Keep (Goddess With A Blade, #2)
  • Blade on the Hunt (Goddess With A Blade, #3)
  • At Blade's Edge (Goddess With A Blade, #4)
  • Wrath of the Goddess (Goddess with a Blade #5)
  • Blood and Blade (Goddess with a Blade, #6)