Start by marking “The Breakup Bible: The Smart Woman's Guide to Healing from a Breakup or Divorce” as Want to Read:
The Breakup Bible: The Smart Woman's Guide to Healing from a Breakup or Divorce

The Breakup Bible: The Smart Woman's Guide to Healing from a Breakup or Divorce

Breakups are an unfortunate but inevitable part of every woman’s life, and there’s no denying that the heartache experienced after the ending of a serious relationship can be excruciating. But it doesn’t have to feel insurmountable, and there is always hope to be found.

In The Breakup Bible, psychotherapist and breakup expert Rachel Sussman reveals the secrets every woman
Published December 27th 2011 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Breakup Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breakup Bible

Start your review of The Breakup Bible: The Smart Woman's Guide to Healing from a Breakup or Divorce
Danielle
May 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I initially borrowed this book from the library hoping it would help me cope with the recent breakup of my 14 year relationship. I found the book was very informative and helpful if you're the one who was dumped or cheated on but in my case I'm the one who left the relationship. I didn't find the book was of much use to me. I still feel the same emotions as someone who was dumped/abandoned/cheated on but there wasn't anything in this book to help the women who leave good men who didn't do ...more
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very handy guide. Sometimes the enthusiasm and "You can do it!" spirit of it feels a bit contrived, and it would be an stretch to say that the book's guidelines can be molded to every situation and cultural context.

But I really, really like the organic transition the author makes to discussing the ex and the breakup to focusing on you and rebuilding your life. She also talks about the complexities of dealing with exes you have children with and the evasiveness of closure. One of the most
Ivy Zhang
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
the only reason i read the book is i am helping fellowship group people in their relationship. i am not sure how much useful the method in the book can be applied. when there ia relationship broken down , people experience mental and physical pains , then accept the pains, transform in the end. the process is more or less is like what the book discusses. what i found going through the process varies from a person to person. one important thing during the process is aweareness. awaring the pain ...more
Racheal
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book told me a lot of what I already knew about self-healing but is also very inspirational as far as what women can do to help themselves after breakups or divorces. The part of the book that I favored the most was regarding the section about your "personal love map". I thought it was interesting and eye opening to see how childhood and past events can affect the way each person loves (and shows/gives their love) in each love relationship. That particular section gave me a lot of insight ...more
Lorianne
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this at my local library and decided to read it. It helped out a lot. I found some great insight on my last relationship. I actually did most of the projects (most were fairly simple) and they actually helped me with myself and my life. I think this is a great book to read no matter how early or late it was from a breakup. This helped me heal and help me put things into perspective.
Gina
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Game changer. Sussman is encouraging and reaffirming and unwavering in her determination to help women in need. Covers the initial period following a breakup to our transformation into self-assured, successful, happy women!
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Although the book has very good points, and is efficient in its purpose, a little dose of comedy would go a long way and there just wasn't enough. However, I would recommend it to anyone who is grieving over an ended marriage or just moving on in general.
Lori
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading this book will go a long way in helping with any woman recovering from a breakup or divorce. Rachel gives you homework to do on yourself, your history and that of your ex. This book is just full of information and I think any woman going through this process should read it.
Phelecia Odima
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rachel Sussman, LCSW writes with poignant clarity but with warmth and kindness. The whole book felt like multiple therapy sessions with a kind and gentle therapist who is also very factual and straight to the point. I appreciated the excercises in the book and the women's testimonies in each chapter. By the end of the book I felt relieved, encouraged and ready to live my best life individually first. A big chunk of the book focuses on self-improvement and confidence/happiness boosting practices. ...more
Laura Hughes
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not the kind of book you can just read through. You need to read this book one chapter at a time. I picked this book from the library and had to renew it more than once.

For someone who is going through a breakup from an engagement, a divorce, or a serious relationship, there is great advice to take hold of. I am in the middle of reading this book and trying to digest what I need to do while I'm in the middle of a breakup.

Great read!
Aimee
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I picked up this book after the recent end of my LTR. I thought that the focus on moving through the three stages of healing, understanding, and transformation was helpful. I skimmed the book the first time through to get a possible road map and list of activities, and then I got a journal and started working through the book again in more detail. I'm using this but also working on the 5 steps of the Conscious Uncoupling process as well.
Wisty
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I saw another review that said this book is definitely more geared towards someone who was broken up with, rather than does the breaking up. I totally agree. Still, there was a lot of interesting psychology in this, and some cool suggestions. I mostly appreciated the chapter where the author shared her own story, and the chapter about dating again. She's a smart cookie, probably a great friend/therapist to have.
ellen
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a gem of bibliotherapy and one of the most in-depth explorations of attachment theory that I’ve read. I’d recommend this to people even if they aren’t in the aftermath of a relationship split - as it sets a good framework for examining yourself and your life.
Mercer Smith
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
So heteronormative it hurts. Also: anyone with any kind of sense knows most of the things that she is suggesting. Some of the practices around attachment style were enlightening, but overall you could have gotten any of this from your own intuition.
Kallyn Grove
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book a few years back when I was going through a particularly rough breakup. One of the most important lessons that I took from it, was that you did not need the other party in order to gain closure. Good read!
Maria
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book and then bought it. Fantastic - really practical advice and a good plan.
Julie Liming
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book may have saved my life. If not my life, at least my sanity.
Book Worm
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Extremely generalised....not a big help and usually assumes that the couple is married rather than dating and living apart
Leentje
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heel boeiend zelfhulpboek bij een relatiebreuk.
Gigi
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Valuable Advice .
Sam
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Healing + Understanding + Transformation are the focus on this book. Written by a female psychotherapist who lives in Manhattan. She's young, and not that experienced in life (in my opinion) to write such a book. It's fluffy and not very deep.
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Getting the past 18 years figured out!
Lisa
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book for any women on the healing journey.
Carolyn
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really helpful resource after my breakup with my husband. It gives me hope.
Carmen
Shawna
Dec 03, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• This Is Me Letting You Go
  • Getting Past Your Breakup: How to Turn a Devastating Loss into the Best Thing That Ever Happened to You
  • Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay In or Get Out of Your Relationship
  • Start Right Where You Are: How Little Changes Can Make a Big Difference for Overwhelmed Procrastinators, Frustrated Overachievers, and Recovering Perfectionists
  • Should I Stay or Should I Go?: Surviving a Relationship with a Narcissist
  • Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian
  • Deadpool, Volume 1: Secret Invasion
  • Neurosculpting for New Habits: Brain-Changing Practices to End Self-Defeating Behaviors and Create Healthy Ones
  • The Breakup Bible
  • Sweeping Up the Heart
  • Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer
  • How Did You Get This Number
  • Shades of Pearl (Pearl, #1)
  • The YOU Plan: A Christian Woman's Guide for a Happy, Healthy Life After Divorce
  • Jeremiah
  • Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find—and Keep—Love
  • Paul à la maison