Start by marking “An Epitaph for Coyote: A Novel” as Want to Read:
An Epitaph for Coyote: A Novel

An Epitaph for Coyote: A Novel

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Here lies Henry Pluck -- corporate cubicle rat and frequenter of nursing homes. A perfectionist at work and an eater of sandwiches, he drove an import, lived alone in a box, and was virtually indistinguishable from any other office drone in Las Vegas, Nevada.

So might have read the inscription on his gravestone.

But when he encounters Rosa Santana, an unconventional and per
Published (first published May 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about An Epitaph for Coyote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Epitaph for Coyote

Denise Wolf
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good writers pay attention to details. Great writers help you taste the chocolate ice cream, feel the paper cut and enjoy the glass of wine. Bryan Dennis is a great writer. You find yourself saying, “oh my gosh he’s right” when he describes a situation you’ve neglected to pay attention to a hundred times. He has done a wonderful job of helping us live the lives of Henry Pluck and Rosa Santana. They are unique individuals surrounded by characters who touch their lives and ours briefly or for a mo ...more
Kim
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An Epitaph for Coyote is one of those novels that just gets under your skin and into your head and makes you take a long look at your own life. The story is centered around Henry Pluck, an average young guy with no small amount of neurosis. He lives alone in a house devoid of personaility where everything is "just so". He works as a finance clerk in an office, never happier than when he is at work. There is a humdrum, "sameness" to his life that has seemingly dulled him to actually living life. ...more
David King
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"An Epitaph for Coyote" is a rather thought provoking read that I struggled to define as being part of any specific genre. Whilst it contains a slight romantic element it is without doubt centred on satirising corporate America and the consumerist ideology that currently drives most Western economies. It wasn't a fast read by any stretch of the imagination, but it still kept me interested and I always enjoy reading the odd book like this that is designed to make me think.

The story itself follows
Jackie
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want a book to make them think, this one does...
Recommended to Jackie by: Bryan R Dennis
Quite possibly this is one of the most thought provoking reads in my library of books that I finished and still could not put out of my mind. Henry Pluck is the character of every man, someone who you might bump into and never notice as his demeanor is such that he pretty much blends into the proverbial wall. That dullness changes when he meets the very charismatic and off-the-wall Rosa Santana. Rosa comes to Henry's house to exterminate cockroaches and soon the two become involved in a friendsh ...more
TC
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Henry Pluck is a dream employee, devoted to his job, always early and never one to indulge in chit chat with his colleagues. His home is spartan and orderly, his diet predictable and his leisure time unusual for a young single man - he visits a nursing home. He is living the dream, and remembering his mum's pearls of wisdom to make his way in the world. That is until his world collides with that of bug exterminator Rosa Santana.

He's attracted by her manner from the word go, but as he gets to kn
Paul Samael
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
There's a broader selection of reviews of this novel over at Amazon - so you might want to take a look at those before deciding whether this book is for you. Where I came out was somewhere around the 4 star mark – there were parts of the novel about which I shared the enthusiasm of the many 5 star reviewers but others where I had some sympathy with some of the more critical reviews on Amazon (which, I hasten to add, are in the minority).

It reminded me most of some of Douglas Coupland’s work. Fo
Bill Thibadeau
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a freebie in exchange for a review. I am so thankful that I received the eBook as I would have missed a great read otherwise.

I initially thought this novel was going to be a light hearted romp through the life of a nerdish accountant cubicle living guy. The read started out with humor and a lightness that was very enjoyable and kept me reading. The whole reading experience changed for me when Rosa entered the life of our dear accountant. I realized that I had been set up
Sue Owen
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into this story. I think my take away from this is that some people have an even lamer life than I do. The story seemed slow to me but for a characterization piece it was pretty good. Dennis gave a good in-depth look at Henry and the type of person he was and how he interacted with others.

However, I found it rather a slow read. Although well written and edited, the plot seemed to go slowly for me and I had a rough time keeping pace. I wanted more action and more interac
Elizabeth
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Henry Pluck lives his life everyday, doing the same thing day in and day out. Henry thinks he is happy. In comes Rosa Santana and she turns his life upside down and inside out. What were shades of tan and beige becomes a rainbow of color and causes Henry to start looking at his life and say, "Am I really happy?" Well done story and hard to put down . It was a really lovely way to spend an afternoon in the sun. Great Job!!
Beth
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Office drones
I just finished An Epitaph for Coyote and truly enjoyed every second of it. While all of Dennis's descriptions and analogies were wonderful, his observations about the elderly were particularly brilliant - and they were what hooked me into this book almost immediately. Henry Pluck's journey from office drone with a warped sense of perfection, to someone who truly lives life, is one that you are not likely to forget. This book is a steal at 99 cents, I highly recommend it.
Neil
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent commentary with great spiritual and mystic parallels. However, the author captured you in the present and kept you from getting lost. Dennis maintained a wonderful credibility with commentary on a modern suburban sprawl. This ended up being a real page turner despite the fact it was topically Mundane.
Alison
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ian1
Henry lives and works in Las Vegas, a wasteland in every sense of the word. He visits old friends at a nursing home, eats his sandwiches, fills out his spreadsheets, and wonders what he's missing--until an eccentric woman turns his life upside down. This isn't an original storyline, but Henry's musings ARE original, and very funny. I kept re-reading passages so as not to miss anything.
Joo
Jun 27, 2011
Rebecca
Jun 29, 2011
Bryan
Jul 12, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jeannie Walker
Val
Dec 07, 2011
Rodney
Mar 12, 2012
Bryan is far too mysterious and reclusive to have an author bio.
More about Bryan R. Dennis...