Start by marking “Seduced” as Want to Read:
Seduced

Seduced

Shorn of her glorious raven tresses and dressed as a man, Lady Antonia Lamb became Lord Anthony Lamb, desperate to keep the property entailed to her twin brother, who is missing at sea. Trapped—and liberated—by her masquerade, Tony meets her new guardian, the devastatingly dangerous Adam Savage, who has returned from his plantation in Ceylon, determined to turn the ...more
Published January 1st 1994 by Island Books

To ask other readers questions about Seduced, please sign up.

Start your review of Seduced
Simona
The second half was so, so good that it totally salvaged my faith in Ms Henley's works. The fireworks between H and h are mega explosive, the plot also moves at a much better pace in the second half and we finally see our fierce h, Antonia, blossoming into a woman who realizes that her love and trust in her guardian is not misplaced and she would face down any scandal with him by his side.
The first half was needlessly prolonged by descriptive details for every small thing. It had its moments
Mojca
Little did Lady Antonia Lamb know that the sailing trip with her twin brother Anthony would turn out in an attempted murder and her brother's disappearance. To prevent their estate falling into the greedy, unscrupulous hands of their cousin Bernard, she decides to impersonate her brother.

At the same time, the twins' legal guardian – so named by their father, Adam Savage, leaves his plantation in Ceylon for England, to set up a home there, take care of his wards, and plan his marriage to Antonia
skein
Jun 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
It is ironic that books are composed of words, because words cannot express how godawful this book is. THIS IS IRONY, people. Not fake mustaches; not retro furniture. THIS.

Nothing about it is worthwhile. Even title -- so promising! -- raises expectations that it fails to deliver. NO ONE IS SEDUCED. Not the virginal heroine Antonia and certainly not her disgusting skank of a lover, who beds approximately fourteen other women in the course of the plot before getting around to noticing Antonia. I
Lillie
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm so angry, you guys, you don't even understand how much.

I read this book cause of two reasons:
1) I love cross-dressing, historical romances
2) I had forgotten how TERRIBLE of an author Henley is.

It's because of that second reason that i'm not going to give my usual full rant review(yes, i know its long already imagine if i actually took the TIME to write out my full thoughts, geesh). Instead, I'm going to condense it down and give you my honest reaction:

I have some major fucking problems with
 Mary~❤️~DBO
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-m
Description
Antonia and her twin brother Anthony take a boat trip to the sea, but the hole trip truns out to be a very well planed "accident" , a murder attempt by their cousin Bernard, who wants to take their fortune. In the aftermath of this accident, Anthony is lost, and Antonia takes his place, to prevent Bernard to succeed in his plans. So Antonia disguises herself in her twin brother Anthony.
Adam Savage is a very rich guy, powerful, gorgeous and sexy as hell. He is Anthony's and Antonia's
Nisha
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
There was a lot I liked about this book. Unfortunately, there were things that also detracted from it. Like Tony's mother and Adam's attitude and thought during the beginning of the book, the immense detail, the dumb villain.

It's a great story, implausible, yet so fun to read. I loved Tony's male experiences. I didn't like Adam at first. Mostly because he wanted to marry Eve. I came to when we learned more about him.

I wish the author bothered to write a little about Anthony's experiences and
FlibBityFLooB
This book was interesting, but it had potential to be much better -- if only it had been about 150 pages shorter and had lost the purple prose. At 530 pages, the author tended to dwindle on and on in useless details instead of focusing on the fun parts of the book. The interesting parts were with the heroine playing her twin brother and living as a young man in Georgian England. Too bad the editors didn't help cut down some of the useless bits. Also, you could definitely tell this was an older ...more
Heather
This was an... odd book. There was part of me that wanted to rate it a four, while other parts scream that it really should be a two. There were so many things that had me shaking my head and wondering if I should finish it.

Antonia
This girl was a study of contradictions. On one page she would be vowing that she hated posing as a male and then two sentences later she would be thinking about how happy she was as her brother. In the same vein, one minute she would be gushing over ladies fashions
Crystal
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
So. Many. Details!!! I skimmed so many paragraphs. The author could have cut so much out of this book that just wasn't needed.
I wasn't the most comfortable with the main character wanting both a mother and a daughter. Didn't sit right with me.
I did love the sex scenes! They were definitely hot. I also love gender bender stories but this one was different in that in all the time she was masquerading as a male, he never had any perverse thoughts towards her. Would have been nice to see more of
Darbella
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Persephone Zahariou
Can't rate it cause I skimmed. Worse than I have skimmed ever. Should have been half the size. Might change the review if I read it properly. Based on my inadequate reading though...

The author is so slow she's impossible to read. 6 paragraphs about the hero taking a bath. His everyday, nothing-happens bath. He washed his face and hair, gave the servant the soap, she washed his back, gave him back the soap, he washed... can someone slip on the darn soap? Can someone use it in some perverted way?
Lizzy
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
The premise of this book is what really intrigued me. A woman pretending to be her brother who finds herself falling in love with her guardian - who is trying to teach his "male" ward to act like a typical London gentleman.

The story itself was definitely entertaining, but it was the style of writing that frustrated me with this novel. So much of this book focused on providing too much detail about events and characters and environments that were hardly essential to the storytelling. This book is
Gwyn
Feb 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Guys.... I can't .... I just can't. I gave this book 80% because I really wanted to love it, but it is GOD-AWFUL! The premiss was so fun, but the writing was bad and it was about 200 pages too long. I couldn't finish it. So much side plot I didn't care about, and Antonia is annoyingly indecisive...... save yourself the trouble and just read 12th night (which is what I should have done...)
Phildaughta
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Antonia Lamb was before her time.............she would have done well in 2013

Kat
*snort*
*cackle*
*cringe*
(My reactions to this book, in a nutshell.)
SaturNalia
Antonia (Tony) is masquerading as her twin brother, to protect his holdings and inheritance from their evil cousin, Bernard. Adam Savage is her new guardian, following the death of her father. This book is epic and long. Tony and Adam don't meet until 30% into the story. Tony manages to fool Adam, and the rest of London society, into thinking she is a male but simply using foul language and swaggering around town. Had to suspend belief here. It was funny at times, when Adam was teaching her to ...more
Zara
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
You know when you find that bar of chocolate in your pocket and you're not sure how long its been there, so you decide to take a little taste? (Obviously you don't throw it away because it's well, chocolate.) And after that first nibble, you're like, not bad, but after another bite, it's actually pretty good?

That's exactly how I felt about this book. Initially I was wary about read a girl-disguises-herself-as-a-boy because it's one of my favourite tropes but I've been disappointed in the past.

Annalice
It was really hard to put down. Very compelling and interesting and kinda hot too. Though the love scenes were very metaphorical for me; I didn't really absorb them too well.
I thought Antonia and Adam were very good together. It's 532 pages but definitely worth every page.

I thought Roz was really funny. There was one part of the book I kept laughing. I think it was with John Bull's inability with the English language. And of course, the mom was a bitch but at the very end, seemed to redeem
Mariya-Teodora
I read Seduced a long time ago, but I remember it very well. It was funny and romantic, but still adventurous and dangerous. I loved how confused Adam was with falling in love with Tony.... xD

description
Dianna
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So steamy!

Loved how tony went through things from a mans perspective, i actually lol at times. Adam was so hot and so savage. It takes more than halfway through the book til tony is finally revealed but once she is, its gets so much better! So be patient in the beginning.
Swati Pant
Nice story line, but too long. had to skip 30% of the book.
Elis Madison
Not long after they learn of their father's death in Ceylon, Antonia (Tony) Lamb and her twin brother Anthony (also Tony) experience a few too many accidents.

Well, rather more serious than that. The kind that could kill a guy (and not just from embarrassment). And enough of them to start the family wondering about their cousin Bernard, who would inherit the title and estates (and pitch the gals out on their butts) if Anthony were to cock up his toes.

When a combination of sabotage and a freak
Maira
If you like cliche romance novels that are well written and descriptive you will enjoy this. I found this novel like most Virginia Henley's enthralling, comical, romantic with a story line that never gets old (like Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"). The setting changes several times and every location offers something very special, from the English countryside, to the beauty of the Greek Islands and the sensuality of Venice (to name a few).
I guarantee you will not be displeased with this adventure
Alicia Maybach
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Seduced, by Virginia Henley was a hard one for me to rate. I finally decided to give the work two stars.
While the story is expertly told, and there is much of it, oh was there much of it! I felt somehow deceived by the novels description.

I had been expecting an unusual if not a bit sordid romance. Something I would burn through in the late hours of the night. Instead, I was thrust into an EPIC. Literally!

The reader is slowly (very slowly) cast into the world of Antonia Lamb who must pose as her
Paula
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Good book but compared to the length of the book it is only about 1/4 romance the rest is plot and invidual character development rather development through a relationship. In fact probably only about 50 pages is dedicated to developing the romantic relationship between adam and antonia. Still I did persevere until the romance finally began to show itself near the end, it was mildly entertaining until then. I really enjoyed the romance when it finally appeared, I felt tingles during the ...more
Luan
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really bad book. Sometimes I sort of liked it, and other times I HATED IT. There's a lot of stuff I didn't like, like how unrealistic it can be. Really? You're going to marry a guy who fucked like a thousand women? WHO WAS GOING TO MARRY YOUR FUCKING MOM?! And let me say, the mom is a total bitch! At least she apologizes for being a bitch to her daughter thanks to the awesome grandma. That has to be the only thing I was okay with. And maybe the death of the cousin but other than that: NO.

The
Rachael
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my personal favorites, one I plan on revisiting many times over! This is far from the first historical book I've read where the lead female dresses as a man and acts outragously, but it is the best. I can't define what makes this book stand out in my mind, or so special... You really get to know the characters in the book, while also seeing them mature and grow. It was everything I look for witty, charming, LOL funny, serious, sensual, and so much more! I will be comparing other ...more
Kelly
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
First and foremost: Virginia Henley is my favorite author. With that being said, it was rather difficult to rate this story. Although the general storyline (heroine plays the part of her twin brother in order to ensure the family title... In doing so falls in love with male guardian/notorious rake Adam Savage) was wildly entertaining, it was INCREDIBLY slow at times. It took over 150 agonizing pages until the hero and heroine actually met.

It might be a loyalty I feel toward my girl Virginia, but
Grace
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
God help me....I liked this book. I normally dislike romance novels. I usually revel in reading horrible romance novels and mocking them mercilessly. I set out to do the same with this one, I picked it for awful cover. But then I found myself liking it. Virginia Henley actually took great care to flesh the story out to more than just boy meets girl. I actually really liked the gender bender aspect, it was my favorite part. I liked the heroine, for the most part. Adam Savage was an alpha and ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Kiss from a Rogue (Rescued from Ruin #9)
  • A Marriage Made in Scandal (Rescued from Ruin, #8)
  • Confessions of a Dangerous Lord (Rescued from Ruin, #6)
  • The Truth About Cads and Dukes (Rescued from Ruin, #2)
  • Lady Rogue
  • The Devil Is a Marquess (Rescued from Ruin, #4)
  • When a Girl Loves an Earl (Rescued from Ruin, #5)
  • Anything but a Gentleman (Rescued from Ruin, #7)
  • Shanna
  • All the Ways to Ruin a Rogue (The Debutante Files, #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • Flowers from the Storm
  • Lily
  • Simply Love
  • Prince of Dreams (Stokehurst, #2)
  • Corrupt Idol: Sinful Stepbrother Dark Romance
  • The Masquerade (deWarenne Dynasty, #5)
Virginia Syddall was born on December 5, 1935 in England, where her father, Thomas Syddall, taught her to love history. She obtained a degree in History in the University. In 1956, Virginia married Arthur Henley. They moved to America, and now they live most of the year in St. Petersburg, Florida, and they spend the hot summers in Ontario, Canada, where they have their two adult children and three ...more