Start by marking “Voyage of the Shadowmoon” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Shadowmoon

Voyage of the Shadowmoon (Moonworlds Saga #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Shadowmoon is a small, unobtrusive wooden schooner whose passengers and crew are much more than they seem: Ferran, the Shadowmoon's lusty captain who dreams of power; Roval, the warrior-sorcerer; Velander and Terikel, priestesses of a nearly extinct sect; and the chivalrous vampyre Laron, who has been trapped in a fourteen-year-old body for 700 years.

They sail the coas
Published February 1st 2004 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Shadowmoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voyage of the Shadowmoon

Dirk Grobbelaar
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
I attempted reading this novel about five years ago, but abandoned it after being bogged down for some time. Now, I have decided to give it another try, and am I ever so glad. Voyage of the Shadowmoon is actually a pretty demanding read. The world has a very “established” feel to it, even though it’s vastly different to the norm, and McMullen does not spoon-feed his readers. Bland imaginations will probably not appreciate this too much, as readers are often forced to speculate and draw their own ...more
Dani
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
There's something about this book, its something I can't really explain in a review, but I just love it. There isn't one thing I can point at and say "This is what I loved" its just the whole book and the way its meshed together.

Sean McMullen has this ability to make me laugh out loud at a book and draw the attention of everyone around me and for me not to care. The part where Laron and Druskarl stumbled upon Velander and Feran is just too much. I think I read it to everyone who would listen.

Lar
A
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was too long and unfocused. The climax occurred nearly 100 pages before the end of the book. Of course there was not one clear climax, but several small resolutions and the final climax was the author's attempt to set up a second book in the series by adding content to the story designed to make you want to read the next book. And I will admit that the best writing in the book occurred in the last 50 pages and I considered reading the sequel, but reality struck.

The book was probably ev
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting dark fantasy with touches of comedy and fascinating characters. McMullen writes his own style of science-fiction and fantasy. Perhaps his most impressive ability is the way all of his characters have real personalities. There is no such thing as an all good, all bad, or simple character in his books and this one is no different.
Ramathael
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me about 75 pages to get into - McMullen's style is different than I'm used to and it was a little hard to follow. Once I got used to the style, I couldn't put the book down - similar to the reaction I had when first reading Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon.
Ralph McEwen
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most unusal cast of chacters and environs. I am looking foward to reading the rest of the series.
scarlettraces
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
(4.5)
Danjo
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
An interesting, fresh fantasy world to romp around in.
Lena
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best and most unique fantasy series I've read.
Nancy
May 11, 2011 added it
fun book- good plot
Noah Easterly
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
A bit flat. His use of the third person omniscient just didn't sit well with me, and often I felt like I was reading a description of a book rather than the book itself.
Klaus
Mar 30, 2009
Ben Hartel
May 21, 2008
Pipan
rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2012
Marguerite Eras
Feb 25, 2010
Sue Blaikie
Dec 29, 2014
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
  • The Destroyer Goddess (Chronicles of Sirkara, #3)
  • Cold Allies
  • The Changing Land
  • The Wizard Hunters (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #1)
  • The Ghost Sister
  • On Wings of Magic (Witch World Series 3: The Turning, #3)
  • Light Music (Nanotech, #4)
  • Angel of Destruction (Jurisdiction, #3)
  • Wolf in Night (Wolfwalker, #7)
  • The Towers of February
  • Permanence
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
  • Effendi
  • The Siege (Questar Science Fiction)
  • Mad Kestrel
  • Conan The Free Lance
  • The Storm Weaver and the Sand (The Change, #3)
19526
Dr. Sean McMullen, author of the acclaimed cyberpunk/steampunk Greatwinter Trilogy, is one of Australia's top Science Fiction and Fantasy authors.

Winning over a dozen awards (including multiple Analog Readers Awarda and a Hugo Award finalist), his work is a mixture of romance, invention and adventure, populated by strange and dynamic characters. The settings for Sean's work range from the Roman E
More about Sean McMullen...

Moonworlds Saga (4 books)
  • Glass Dragons