Start by marking “The Shift: The Future of Work Is Already Here” as Want to Read:
The Shift: The Future of Work Is Already Here

The Shift: The Future of Work Is Already Here

We are now facing a revolution in the way we work. This is not just about the impact that a low carbon economy will have on the way we work, it is also about how the nexus of technology and globalisation will work together with demographic and societal changes to fundamentally transform much of what we take for granted about work.
Published July 15th 2011 by HarperCollins UK (first published May 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shift

Jonathan Peto
This was an unusual choice for me. It probably deserves more than three stars, because I enjoyed thinking it over as I read, because I marked a lot of passages, and because I did not dismiss any of it outright, though I did create a raised eyebrow icon for marking passages I had doubts or suspicions about. In Part 1, the author, Lynda Gratton, identifies five forces that will shape the future. If you read the newspaper or other nonfiction, her choices will probably not shock you: technology, glo ...more
Mark Dongen
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Linda touches on a number of great points wich we might be confronted with in the next years in our work as leaders as well as HR professionals. As these points would ask a different mindset from us, as well as a different set of solutions, we need to start thinking NOW about how to be prepared for that future. In my view this is therefore a book you would want to read sooner, rather than later. Though the future she portraits seems sometimes gloomy to me, this might only underline I am not gen ...more
Eustacia Tan
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me by a Japanese friend - he read the Japanese version, which is titled "Work Shift" and confused me because I could NOT find a book by that title. But eventually I found it, and woah, is it a thought provoking read.

The book goes like this. First, the author identifies what she thinks are the most important macro-trends taking place. Next, she looks at six possible aspects of the future, three positive and three negative.

The negative aspects are:
1. Fragmentation - a world
Phil Williams
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
In her book The Shift, The Future of Work is already here, Lynda Gratton takes a long hard look at future trends that will affect the future of work and through developing future scenarios – both negative and positive – she seeks to make concrete her findings by illustrating practical futures of what work might look like for a number of us. The book is based on very extensive research drawing on an extensive network of high level contacts enjoyed by Ms Gratton from her position as an academic at ...more
Romuald
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strategy, business
This is the kind of book that everybody should read. It looks at the current trends and describes how our careers will be. Or at least the possible scenarios for it.
A must read.
Eradist
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
In the future, we must learn more than two different skills deeply and combine them, create a new skill.
Yuan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
科技變遷、全球化、高齡少子化、社會形態變遷、資源/能源問題,這五大力量是主宰未來世界的原動力,本書提供面對工作全新的思考方式:了解自身獨特性,勇於實踐並時常反思,培養跨領域專業,多累積經驗,能賦予自己擁有更多選擇。適合正在規劃職涯發展的學習者,能幫助建立長遠的視野和有別傳統思維的工作態度。
Kwang Wei Long
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Author talks about some main ideas of the trend that surrounds the future of work.
Good ideas to sleep on to prepare for the future.
1. Serial Mastery. To be a subject matter in an arena to guarantee yourself value to the workplace.
2. Innovative connectors. Collaboration with professionals around the work to tackle certain projects.
3. Relooking at the traditional view on work. Fulfilling on both the material and emotional needs of oneself.
Obeida Takriti
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
من الكتب القليلة التي تترك لديك أسئلة مصيرية..
وهنا السؤال عن العمل.. عملك في المستقبل..

هذا ثالث كتاب أقرؤه للكاتبة نفسها وكل كتاب كان تجربة مختلفة..

هذا الكتاب يتحدث عن النقلات التي علينا كأشخاص، مؤسسات، ومجتمعات القيام بها لكي نتأقلم مع العمل في المستقبل..

تبدأ الكاتبة بشرح خمسة قوى أساسية ستكون محور التغير الحالي والمستقبلي، وهي:
5- الطاقة والطاقة البديلة

ستشكل الخمس قوى المذكورة عالمنا المستقبلي مشكلة خيارات م
Jean-Philippe Michel
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Thinking critically about the future allows us to make better decisions today. This is why books like The Shift have the potential to have a positive impact on our career and lives. Unfortunately, this book falls short of this promise for three reasons: 1) it focuses more on the present than the future; 2) it has too few bold predictions and actionable insights about the future and 3) it is missing a compelling conclusion or call to action at the end.

The best part of the book was the section wit
Wulan Suci Maria
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very comprehensive prediction of the future or present (this book was first published in 2011). The author wrote the book based on rigorous research, which make the theories do become facts.
In summary, there are 5 forces that shapes world now and future;
1/ The force of technology
2/ The force of globalisation
3/ The force of demography & longevity
4/ The force of society
5/ The force of energy resources

These forces will cause many shifts, three shifts in business will be;
1/ From shallow gene
Guru
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A good set of arguments and scenarios for the future of work. Pretty balanced as far as "futurist" speculations go.
Ryotaro Nagasawa
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Silvia Pato
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, review
Interesante obra de Lynda Gratton, cuyo título puede conducir a engaño, pues nada tiene que ver con libros de autoayuda ni similares lecturas.
Gratton aborda el estudio del trabajo haciendo contraposición entre los tiempos anteriores a Internet, el proceso que vivimos en la actualidad y los hechos que, probablemente, se sucederán en el futuro.
El ensayo encara la temática desde una perspectiva histórica, antropológica y social, por más que parezca que su título fue elegido para servir de gancho a
Luke
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Great ideas! But I think they would have been better told via a cartoon or presentation. The book got too wordy and contained a lot of conjecture by the author. Not that it was bad, but I didn't find it so engaging.
It could also have been better told as a work of fiction. It was mostly fiction in the scenarios the author creates, but they were not so entertaining. The dissection of the scenarios could be interesting but I found it dragging on. Maybe different if you are pre-Generation Y?
Sujit Nair
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has to be read by everyone in order to get a better understanding about how your life will be 10-15 years down the line despite what profession you're into. Leaves you with an insightful thought and something to ponder over questions.
Amie
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really interesting. Talks about 5 major forces which are changing the way we work, the impact of these forces and ways individuals might adapt or plan for these changes. Highly recommend giving it a read!
Itsuro
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book will shed a light on different aspects, but closely related issues in our current and future life. What is good, even challenge, is to indicate some steps to take in terms of shift in our lives. Those who are interested in different kinds of economics may receive interesting insights.
Sokolovich
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Helpful and thought provoking read, to consciously understand challenges in present labour market and future scenarios.
MameYakko
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book.
Ilyong Park
일의 미래
- 10년 후, 나는 어디서 누구와 어떤 일을 하고 있을까?
George Wang
Feb 20, 2013 marked it as to-read
recommended by CECA career advisor Tanya Gillert on 2013-02-20
Omar Said
Dec 14, 2018
Grant McGeoch
rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2017
Meghan
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • We Think: The Power Of Mass Creativity
  • The New Industrial Revolution: Consumers, Globalization and the End of Mass Production
  • Fully Connected: Surviving and Thriving in an Age of Overload
  • Fixing the Game: Bubbles, Crashes, and What Capitalism Can Learn from the NFL
  • The Age of Access: The New Culture of Hypercapitalism, Where All of Life is a Paid-For Experience
  • The Leaderless Revolution: How Ordinary People Will Take Power and Change Politics in the 21st Century
  • Open Business Models: How To Thrive In The New Innovation Landscape
  • One Page Talent Management: Eliminating Complexity, Adding Value
  • Cultural Strategy: Using Innovative Ideologies to Build Breakthrough Brands
  • All Things at Once
  • The Meaning of the 21st Century: A Vital Blueprint for Ensuring Our Future
  • Howard's Gift: Uncommon Wisdom to Inspire Your Life's Work
  • Information Anxiety 2 (Hayden/Que)
  • Future Minds: How the Digital Age Is Changing Our Minds, Why This Matters, and What We Can Do About It
  • Revolution in Time: Clocks and the Making of the Modern World