Start by marking “Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)

Return of the Thief

(The Queen's Thief #6)

The thrilling, twenty-years-in-the-making, conclusion to the New York Times–bestselling Queen’s Thief series, by Megan Whalen Turner. This beloved and award-winning series began with the acclaimed novel The Thief. It and four more stand-alone volumes bring to life a world of epics, myths, and legends, and feature one of the most charismatic and incorrigible characters of f ...more
Published October 6th 2020 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Return of the Thief, please sign up.
Laurie Just found this on Amazon for the sixth book:

Publisher: Greenwiliow Books - August 25, 2020

A delay, but not surprising with so many things to tie up…more
Just found this on Amazon for the sixth book:

Publisher: Greenwiliow Books - August 25, 2020

A delay, but not surprising with so many things to tie up in this last book(less)
Jackie MWT announced that this will be the last one.

Start your review of Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On sale now - a great conclusion to the QUEEN'S THIEF series! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature. I also did an interview with the author here on FanLit, along with a giveaway: One random commenter in the interview thread will win a Kindle or Audible copy of one of the books of the QUEEN’s THIEF series (you pick which one). So please go check it out!

Megan Whalen Turner’s QUEEN’S THIEF young adult fantasy series, a masterwork of twisting plots, deceptive plans, and occasional divine interv
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
concept: everyone in this book has A GOOD DAY
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
2' after learning about the delay : I.... I just really wanted 2019 to be worth it, yknow? 😭😭😭

3' later : This said, I'd wait twenty years for Eugenides. So it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it's okay it'
kiwi kili
NOTE/UPDATE: I have read the book. And I am pleased. I have written a review/love letter to it with only mild spoilers (major ones hidden).

I shall leave the old GIFS/notes up because it seems to show my anticipation well and because many people responded to it and it would not be fair to them to delete it, but I will also have my review below. So, here are my old complaints whilst waiting, starting back in 2011:

And so it begins.

BUT ALSO:

BUT ALSO:

EDIT 1/24/19

Okay, so after reading THIS part of
Tatiana
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, ya, 2020, fantasy
I don't think I can objectively judge these books anymore, because I am such a slavish fan of MWT's writing and find the way she her words together so incredibly soothing and satisfying.

Return of the Thief is a long book, but it was never boring to me. It is, however, quite complex, so I need a couple of rereads (and not in the time of an anxious pre-election brain fog) to get a better grasp of the things I've surely missed. I also should have reread the rest of the books in the series again, b
Elle (ellexamines)
Jul 18, 2018 marked it as 2019
Shelves: x-tbrsequels
I cannot wait to finish this series, but either way, may I just say: the covers of this series are so excellent holy shit

here are my other series thoughts:
book one - ★★★☆☆
book two - ★★★★☆
book three - ★★★★☆
book four - ★★★★☆
book five - ★★★★☆
book six - TBD
Jamie Dacyczyn
I'm very tempted to open this book back up to the front pages and begin rereading it at once, since I know these books get better and better with each reread. I have no doubt that this will not be an exception. Soooo many details to be gleaned here, but of course on the first read there's too much going on to really absorb the minutiae.

Without spoiling too much I'll say that my initial reaction to closing the book is a profound sense of peace. Some grief, some joy, but mostly contentment. There
anne
Aug 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
This should be called "The King of Kings"!
Melissa McShane
I put off reading this for a few days because I knew I would want enough time to read it in one sitting and then write this review. As with Thick as Thieves, I went into it cold, not for fear of spoilers, but for fear of trying to second-guess the author if I knew anything about the story. And, as with the other books in this series, I did not regret this decision for a moment.

Ending a series is bittersweet even when the ending was implicit in the rest of the series. On the other hand, I would n
Rubal
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
4.5

this was a WILD ride. mwt stuck the landing imo. need to re-read it a couple of times before I pick up every clue though and I look forward to re-reading and recommending this series.

eta: apparently, it's been further delayed to October 2020 :(

eta: it's been delayed to 2020. kellykapoorjuicecleanse.gif

update:

Neither accepted nor beloved, Eugenides is the uneasy linchpin of a truce on the Lesser Peninsula, where he has risen to be high king of Attolia, Eddis, and Sounis. As the treacherous
Amy
I would 100% name a child Eugenides except it looks so much like Eugenics and that's just awkward.

But more importantly guess what...I DID NOT CRY. Not even when I turned the last page and it said: "The End."

And...and that actually gives me a lot of mixed feelings. Because I came in expecting to be emotionally devastated (in the best possible way) and instead I spent most of the book going:

It was a lovely book. Great quotes. Stirring moments. Terrific symbolism. A good ending to this series fill
Elevetha
Aug 31, 2012 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
OH MY GOSH

Originally:

So unbelievably happy that there is a sixth planned.

description

Less so that the publisher will most likely s.......I shan't say it.

But please, I beg of thee, Greenwillow, publish this book when the manuscript is available. And Megan, take all the time you need to make it better than as good as KoA.

Until then:

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you, for introducing me to THIS series. I shall be forever indebted to you and it shall never be enough. Thank you, Miss Clark.
R.J.
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book pretty much in one sitting, and it was absolutely worth it.

This series is so complex, and there are so many subtle details to the narration (not to mention so many different narrators), that it's hard to imagine a final book could possibly wrap it all up in a satisfying way. Especially when you consider how many eagerly awaited finales of the past few years have ended badly and left fans devastated and furious.

I didn't really expect MWT to blow the landing on her own series
Jasmine
IRENE POV. IRENE POV. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Update: Not gonna get one, according to this interview. But I can dream, can't I?

(I know nothing about this book I just neeeed it.)
Cila
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t need to read this to know it’s going to be deserving of a 5 star review. So EXCITED!!
Brandy Painter
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book produced so many feelings. The dedication is spot on. This is definitely for us.

I love Pheris with my whole heart. I haven't been this thoroughly and instantly captivated by a first person narrator since I read The Thief the first time. I would read 14 Volumes entitled "Pheris's Observations on the King and his Attendants" and still need more.

That scene with the Pent ambassador may displace the "Diplomacy in my own name" scene as my all time favorite. "No one paints moments like these
Crowinator
I wish for this to be longer; it could have been doled out as several more lengthy novels, right? Not that it was damn near perfect as is, tying so many stories and characters and political schemes together with subtle precision. I even cried for a character I despised. I also wish for there to be several more books coming. I don’t want it to be over. Despite that bittersweet realization, I loved being privy to this world and these characters and I sense several more re-reads of them all in the ...more
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I can't believe it's finally ending!!!

I just bought books 1-5 so for once, I will be ALL CAUGHT UP when an anticipated series comes to a close haha
Janine Ballard
5 stars

My co-reviewer Jennie and I have a joint review of this book up on Dear Author:

I almost never give a book an unqualified 5 stars without rereading it but the thing is that I know I will reread this one. This was my most anticipated book of 2020 and it lived up to my expectations and then some.

We also have a separate thread for discussing the book with all spoilers permitted. It’s terrific if I say so myself. Consider this an invitation to join us th
KatieR
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure what to say about this. It's epic, heartbreaking, poignant, funny, every single feel I could feel. I'm also sad it's the end of this series, but I have hopes that MWT hasn't retired from writing entirely. She takes a very long time between books, so I guess we'll know in a few years.

This has been an amazing ride. I can't recommend this series highly enough.
H.S.J. Williams
It’s the climax of one of my favorite book series. In a way, I was afraid. Afraid it wouldn’t deliver.

But it did. Oh, it did.

The new narrator was a brilliant move, he told the story perfectly. The spiritual elements were incredible. Eugenides was at his most terrifying. The end was satisfying and warmed my heart.

I do feel the content was a little darker and more present than previous books, but Turner’s ingenious way of writing keeps things non-descript. To avoid spoilers, if you have content co
twice_baked✌️
It's called RETURN of the Thief...! So. Guess who's back and better than ever!

I can't wait to see him in action, returned to normal!
...or maybe not so normal, since that's impossible.
But still doing what he's best at doing.

I think I'm going to reread the series while I wait, since it's literally delayed 🤦 you're killing us, people.

description
AMythicalBeast
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't care if it's not out yet (or even confirmed). Megan Whalen Turner is simply incapable of disappointing me. This will definitely deserve all five stars. (There be elephants!!)
michelle (magical reads)
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
rep: bisexual side character
cw: mentions of a miscarriage

I am never going to emotionally recover from this!! megan whalen turner, I owe you my life!!

edit (9/14/20): just read a sample and I already cried three times…this book is going to kill me, I just know it
Lauren
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a glorious book and a series as a whole that’s truly a masterpiece. I want to go listen to the whole experience again now.
Beth
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
“It probably only works in Eddis.”

!!!!!!!!

Granted, I wasn’t shocked until page 338 (I kept thinking, why don’t I see where this is going?) - but then the shocks kept coming. There is so much here I wasn’t expecting - from the callbacks to previous books, so seamlessly folded into this more politically-advanced narrative, to that incident on page 338, and every incident which followed, to the ending - THE ENDING -

Frankly I am shocked by this, and by how much it had the capacity to surprise me.

(vi
Nana
Mar 16, 2017 marked it as to-read
I need this book because if it's going to be the last book of the series, I need that hardbound collection pack / hardcover bundle whatever you call it. I can't buy the 5 books hardcover pack when I know there'll be a 6th one! Books come and go but this is my forever favorite omg.

I CAN IMAGINE HOW BEAUTIFUL A QUEEN'S THIEF COLLECTION TRUNK IS GOING TO LOOK LIKE IN MY HOUSE.
Other books be jealous because I'll be playing favoritism. lol
Jenia
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Man it's just a neat, lovely, wonderful ending!! I was so convinced it was all gonna end tragically, not sure why haha. This was perfect. So much shenanigans!!
AnnMarie
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edit for second read: Yup, still amazing. Possibly even more than the first time through -- MWT's books usually are.

Endings are hard things to get right, and this book is an ending 20 years in the making. MWT's fans have read and re-read the books before this one in the series many, many times (I can personally attest to that), so expectations were bound to be high. That that were met, and even exceeded, is a tremendous testament to MWT's superb skill with plot, character development, and world
Heather M
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, fantasy
no spoilers only keening

• The Eighth Detective
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
  • The Case for Trump
  • We Are Totally Normal
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • Stargazing
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • The Italian Wife
  • An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
  • Death and Daisies (A Magic Garden Mystery #2)
Megan Whalen Turner is the author of short stories and novels for children, teenagers and adults. She has won the LA Times Book Award for Young Adult LIterature, a Boston Globe/ Horn Book Honor and a Newbery Honor. She won the Mythopoeic Award and was shortlisted twice for the Andre Norton Award.

The Queen's Thief (6 books)
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4)
  • Thick as Thieves (The Queen's Thief, #5)

Articles featuring this book

“Of course,” she said, “Your Majesty.” I admired the way she could make the words sound so much like “You Idiot.” 2 likes
“He has a lot of coats,” said Philologos soberly.” 1 likes