Start by marking “Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)

Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  546 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Another thrilling case featuring Detective Inspector Geraldine Steel When the corpse of Abigail Kirby is discovered, police are shocked to learn that the victim's tongue was cut out while she lay dying. Then, shortly after coming forward, a witness is blinded and murdered.soon enough to save Geraldine Steel from a similar dreadful fate?
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead End

Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I would like to thank the author for writing this book. I've read the previous 2 in the series quite a while ago and I've had this and the next in the series on my Amazon library since December 2011.

When I started reading this, I automatically guessed who the murderer was, but carried on with the book as it was interesting to see how DI Geraldine Steel & DS Ian Peterson would catch the killer. Who is murdering a teacher for her tongue and who would want to kill a 17 year old boy. What did D
Colin Mitchell
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is the third of the DI Geraldine Steel novels set in Kent and finds the Di and Sgt Peterson called to the waste area near a recreation area were a woman's body has been found. This all leads her to a disastrous relationship and more killings.

The book has a good fast pace and I found myself flying through the pages. However there always seem to be a large team of officers lead by a Detective Chief Inspector but not many of them seem to achieve very much, leaving the uniformed branch to clear
Mark
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Detective Inspector Geraldine Steele again graces the pages of Russell's latest British police procedural. Well plotted with a back story that is relevant for today's day and age, "Dead End" is another grim and gory murder that crosses her path to help Steele gain the eventual promotion to London's Metro force.
Although the story line was well paced, enthralling and the characters feel very real, both cops and victims, I feel like Russell actually missed out on a bigger picture here. True, DI St
Anne M.
Another enjoyable book by Leigh Russell. Amazed that Geraldine has survived as she seems to get almost killed in most of the stories!
jeannette allerston
Great book

Really enjoying this series, can not wait to see what is in store for Geraldine, with her transfer will be on to the next book as soon as possible, really recommend this series 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 thank you Leigh Russell for all your time and the hard work that has gone into this series 😊
Fiona Wilson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed this book. Just like all of this author the seem more realistic than some of the other ones I read as it shows you more of an idea of how police come to arrest the suspect which I liked.
Michelle Wiles
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another great novel about Geraldine Steel. I am loving this series and would highly recommend them.
Shane Knighton
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Guessing till the end.
Andrew Cullum
not bad but like the last book the chapters were small and it seemed rushed at the end.
Wendy Honour
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read, although I did guess who the murderer was early on
Abigail
Everyone knows how I feel about mysteries, I adore them! No wait, I take them back, they are probably at the top of my pile of must read genre’s that I would hope be on the desert island I get stranded on. Because of this I am pretty apt at figuring out the mystery, the bad guys, etc… so if I am going to rate a mystery book high I am going to expect it to keep me guessing to at least 75% and still surprise me in the end. Before I go into this aspect of the book let me tell you my take on the rea ...more
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Leigh Russell's third installment of 'DI Geraldine Steel' Series we once again see Geralding thrown into a messy and disturbing case. In this particular book, headmistress Abigail Kirby is found dead in a park, but in this instance it seems that her tongue has been cut out. DI Geraldine Steel, along with her colleague Ian Peterson are put on the case, and when a potential witness is blinded and murdered, the case seems to get out of control.

I admit that I am a sucker when it comes to 'series'
Martha Cheves
Dead End – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat and Think With Your Taste Buds – Desserts

Abigail’s head hurt. She was afraid something was wrong with her eyes. She couldn’t see anything. A heavy weight was pressing down on her chest. She fought against a feeling of nausea, and tried to turn her head but couldn’t. “Hello,” she croaked. No answer. She was alone in the darkness… “Hello,” she called again. Her throat hurt and there was a strange smell. By now Abigail had realize
Mark
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
‘Dead End’ by Leigh Russell
Published by No Exit Press, 2010. ISBN: 978-1-84243-356-0

When Headmistress Abigail Kirby is murdered, the initial enquiry centres on the immediate family. Although husband Matthew is still living at home he is only there physically. This has clearly had an effect on the two children Ben and Lucy – particularly Lucy, who has taken against her father having become aware of his extra marital activities.

Assigned to the case is DI Geraldine Steel who is still struggling wit
Carol Peace
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of Leigh Russells book I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be looking out for the others and can recommend to any other crime lovers.
DI Geraldine Steel finds herself looking into the gruesome murder of headteacher Abilgail Kirby who is the headmistress of a local school. She can see that Abigails home life is a bit of a mess and although the husband seems to be bewildered at her death. Her children however are a different matter. Her daughter Lucy is convinced her dad killed her m
Marilyn
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Third in series of Detective Inspector Geraldine Steele; I was able to read the three consecutively which certainly made for more compelling reading. I enjoyed the interwoven professional life and personal life of DI Steele, made her seem more credible. Ms Russell does not dwell quite so graphically on descriptions of murders or other criminal activities as many of her present-day colleagues do, which will keep me reading her, whereas I have had to abandon other writers for just such writing.
Tracey Walsh
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Feeling smug because I "solved" this one early on, but that didn't spoil my enjoyment. There is so much going on in this story that it grabs your attention and keeps you wondering what could possibly happen next. I enjoyed learning more about the back story of the main character, DI Geraldine Steel and I'm looking forward to the next instalment, although there are a few on my To Be Read pile ahead of it. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. TDW.
Aunty Janet
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another really enjoyable read about DI Geraldine Steele. A serial killer is mutilating his victims in horrible ways and the police are struggling to identify the perpetrator. I did guess quite early on who the killer was, but this did not spoil my enjoyment of the story. I have read the next in the series, I started with Death Bed first, but still enjoyed Geraldine's personal story and look forward to the next in the series.
Miranda
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No more DI Geraldine Steel for me. I only finished the three I had because I had already purchased them. The heroine is whiny, the author's writing style is erratic to the point of causing mental whiplash and if I wanted to involve myself in soap opera-like relationships, I'd watch daytime TV. I'll stick with my other DI mysteries.
Paulah
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Taut, no-nonsense British police drama. The first I've read in Russell's best-selling series, and I look forward to reading more. I love the detective, who reminds me of a young DCI Jane Tennison of Prime Suspect fame. Not exactly, but the same keen eye, hesitancy to take credit for her accomplishments and trouble with relationships of all types.
Amy Yingling
Review Written For Partners In Crime Book Tours: A fast paced mystery filled with revenge and ghastly murders. Makes one truly wonder about the tangled web one weaves throughout his or her day and how those decisions could have far reaching implications. Even though this is part of a series it is also an excellent stand alone read, but I found most of the books in this series to be.
Robyn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Coatsworth
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every book i read in succession in this series is a bit like The Beatles track " Getting Better" as they are "all the time" Please excuse my singing, I know it's awful, thankfully this book isn't - READ IT PEOPLE!
C.J. Wright
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best one of the series so far. There's a lot going on in this book, and the twists are quite well executed. The story, as has been usual for the DI Geraldine Steel series, is easy to get into, and keeps pushing you along all the way through the book to the very last page.
Jo
A school headmistress is found murdered with her tongue cut out. DI Geraldine Steel and her team initially suspect the philandering husband but it turns out to not be such a simple case. Russell's novels are very readable and engaging.
Glyn Pope
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I rate this 3 stars as good crime book, not a piece of literature. You need an enjoyable read, and you like crime, then this is the book for you. I do think that Leigh could have been braver with her ending.
Clarissa Draper
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leigh-russel
See the book club review on goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5....
Colin Andrews
Oct 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. Provisionally identified the killer very early on and no doubt by half way through. Even guessed likely motive. No mystery or suspense whatsoever.
Lesley
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good police procedural
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)
  • The Missing Dead (Jessica Daniel #6)
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
  • Sole Intention (Intention, #1)
  • Pray for the Dying (Bob Skinner, #23)
  • A Reason To Kill (DI Matt Barnes #1)
  • Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • Run For Home (Lorraine Hunt, #1)
  • Monument to Murder (DCI Kate Daniels, #4)
  • The Aunt Sally Team
  • The Crew
  • The Child Taker (Detective Alec Ramsay, #1)
  • Dead Before Morning (Rafferty and Llewellyn Police Procedural Series, #1)
  • Ruthless (Annie Carter #5)
  • A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1)
After many years teaching English in secondary school, internationally bestselling author Leigh Russell now writes crime fiction full time. Published in English and in translation in Europe, her Geraldine Steel and Ian Peterson titles have appeared on many bestseller lists, including #1 on kindle. Leigh's work has been nominated for several major awards, including the CWA New Blood Dagger and CWA ...more
More about Leigh Russell

DI Geraldine Steel (10 books)
  • Cut Short (DI Geraldine Steel, #1)
  • Road Closed (DI Geraldine Steel, #2)
  • Death Bed (DI Geraldine Steel, #4)
  • Stop Dead (DI Geraldine Steel, #5)
  • Fatal Act (DI Geraldine Steel, #6)
  • Killer Plan (DI Geraldine Steel, #7)
  • Murder Ring (DI Geraldine Steel, #8)
  • Deadly Alibi (DI Geraldine Steel #9)
  • Class Murder (DI Geraldine Steel, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
“What hands are here! Ha, they pluck out mine eyes.’ Shakespeare” 0 likes
“looking for someone who was working alongside them on the murder team.” 0 likes