Start by marking “Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)

Dead End

(DI Geraldine Steel #3)

Another thrilling case featuring Detective Inspector Geraldine Steel When the corpse of Abigail Kirby is discovered, police are shocked to learn that the victim's tongue was cut out while she lay dying. Then, shortly after coming forward, a witness is blinded and murdered.soon enough to save Geraldine Steel from a similar dreadful fate?
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead End

Start your review of Dead End (DI Geraldine Steel, #3)
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I would like to thank the author for writing this book. I've read the previous 2 in the series quite a while ago and I've had this and the next in the series on my Amazon library since December 2011.

When I started reading this, I automatically guessed who the murderer was, but carried on with the book as it was interesting to see how DI Geraldine Steel & DS Ian Peterson would catch the killer. Who is murdering a teacher for her tongue and who would want to kill a 17 year old boy. What did DS Pe
Colin Mitchell
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is the third of the DI Geraldine Steel novels set in Kent and finds the Di and Sgt Peterson called to the waste area near a recreation area were a woman's body has been found. This all leads her to a disastrous relationship and more killings.

The book has a good fast pace and I found myself flying through the pages. However there always seem to be a large team of officers lead by a Detective Chief Inspector but not many of them seem to achieve very much, leaving the uniformed branch to clear
Louise Bray
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was great. After the hugely disappointing second edition in this series, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it turned out to be everything I want in a police thriller. Hints and clues were thrown in throughout the novel - just enough to get me thinking and keep me guessing. I ended up reading almost the entire book in one sitting!
Ted Tayler
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Slick, well-written story"

This series continues to deliver good value if you love dastardly crimes and police procedurals. The devil is always in the detail. I can't say I like the lead character as much as some in other series but Geraldine Steel has her individual style and if that isn't tinkered with it will win through.
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Leigh Russell's third installment of 'DI Geraldine Steel' Series we once again see Geralding thrown into a messy and disturbing case. In this particular book, headmistress Abigail Kirby is found dead in a park, but in this instance it seems that her tongue has been cut out. DI Geraldine Steel, along with her colleague Ian Peterson are put on the case, and when a potential witness is blinded and murdered, the case seems to get out of control.

I admit that I am a sucker when it comes to 'series'
Mark
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Detective Inspector Geraldine Steele again graces the pages of Russell's latest British police procedural. Well plotted with a back story that is relevant for today's day and age, "Dead End" is another grim and gory murder that crosses her path to help Steele gain the eventual promotion to London's Metro force.
Although the story line was well paced, enthralling and the characters feel very real, both cops and victims, I feel like Russell actually missed out on a bigger picture here. True, DI St
Anne M.
Another enjoyable book by Leigh Russell. Amazed that Geraldine has survived as she seems to get almost killed in most of the stories!
John Toffee
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of british cop thrillers
Whilst flying their kite in the recreation ground, Dave Whittaker and his young son, Zac, they crash it into a small copse. Dave goes of to retrieve the kite and discovers the body of a dead woman. She turns out to be local headmistress Abigail Kirby. Investigating in their third outing DI Geraldine Steel and DS Ian Patterson, soon discover that the Kirby family has hidden secrets of their own. Husband Matthew is having a long standing affair with Charlotte who has helped to move down from York ...more
jeannette allerston
Great book

Really enjoying this series, can not wait to see what is in store for Geraldine, with her transfer will be on to the next book as soon as possible, really recommend this series 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 thank you Leigh Russell for all your time and the hard work that has gone into this series 😊
Mrs Christine Tickle
Quite an easy read. I guessed early on who the murderer was. What I found interesting was the grooming part of the story as I have just attended a safeguarding training day about cyber bullying and grooming. As horrible as it is, it was interesting to see how it was put into the story and hopefully readers with younger children may take notice of this.
Alison Alice-May
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this easy to read thriller. There were enough clues for the reader to work out who was responsible, and enough red herrings to fool the reader also. The book is full of action and a number of problems requiring solving at the same time. It was great to read while feeling too unwell to do anything else. Can’t wait to read the rest of the series.
Fiona Wilson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed this book. Just like all of this author the seem more realistic than some of the other ones I read as it shows you more of an idea of how police come to arrest the suspect which I liked.
R.V. V Biggs
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know this is not a new book as I've only just discovered Leigh Russell, but yet another excellent read. This is classic TV police drama stuff and I think would easily rub shoulders against the best of our familiar and regular DI 'x' novels and shows.
Paul
Jul 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. Got to page 121 and thought to myself life's too short.

Will attempt to read book 4 in the series but if that fails to please I will cease reading anything else by the author. She obviously has her fans but I'm not one of them.

Suzanne Oliver
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-books-i-have
Another great read by Leigh Russell..I was gripped from the start and had to keep reading to see how it would end. Loved the development of Geraldine’s character in this one, and Peterson..really starting to get to know them which is lovely! Can’t wait to read no.4!
Joyce Rigg
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another thoroughly enjoyable read. It has lost a star because Geraldine just seemed to be so much more needy than I believed in this book. Still it didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the story. It was also the first time that the killer was obvious so early in the story. However, a thoroughly good read.
Andrew Cullum
not bad but like the last book the chapters were small and it seemed rushed at the end.
Michelle Wiles
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another great novel about Geraldine Steel. I am loving this series and would highly recommend them.
Wendy Honour
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read, although I did guess who the murderer was early on
Jackie Morris
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick and easy read, good plot
Alison Large
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable book by Leigh Russell.
Pauline
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book in this series look forward to reading the next.
Carol Barnes
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book from start to finish. Really liked the characters and writing style and looking forward to reading more in the series
Sandra Preston
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love these books just getting settled to start the next 1
Digby
Apr 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap
Badly written. Plot has more holes than a colander.
Holly Salisbury
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving the books! I read this book to my mum and she thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be reading the next one to her as well, so she doesn't miss out.
Joy
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series keeps getting better and better.
Kriss
Everyone knows how I feel about mysteries, I adore them! No wait, I take them back, they are probably at the top of my pile of must read genre’s that I would hope be on the desert island I get stranded on. Because of this I am pretty apt at figuring out the mystery, the bad guys, etc… so if I am going to rate a mystery book high I am going to expect it to keep me guessing to at least 75% and still surprise me in the end. Before I go into this aspect of the book let me tell you my take on the rea ...more
Martha Cheves
Dead End – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat and Think With Your Taste Buds – Desserts

Abigail’s head hurt. She was afraid something was wrong with her eyes. She couldn’t see anything. A heavy weight was pressing down on her chest. She fought against a feeling of nausea, and tried to turn her head but couldn’t. “Hello,” she croaked. No answer. She was alone in the darkness… “Hello,” she called again. Her throat hurt and there was a strange smell. By now Abigail had realiz
Mark
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Bluebell Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #2)
  • The Gallows Green Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #4)
  • Bitter Edge (DI Kelly Porter, #4)
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Wrong Victim  (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 3)
  • Kill the Messenger (DI Fenchurch, #6)
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • Silent Crimes
  • The Greek Island Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #1)
  • Beyond the Point
  • MURDEROUS SECRETS (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #6)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • Little Doubt (DI Kelly Porter, #7)
  • Bottleneck (Scott Cullen Mysteries #5)
  • Bold Lies (DI Kelly Porter, #5)
  • Killer on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #4)
  • Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)
  • Two Victims (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 2)
Leigh Russell has sold over a million books in her Geraldine Steel series of crime novels. Published in English and in translation throughout Europe and in China, the Geraldine Steel titles have appeared on many bestseller lists, including #1 on kindle. Leigh's work has been nominated for several major awards, including the CWA New Blood Dagger and CWA Dagger in the Library.
Leigh has also written

DI Geraldine Steel (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cut Short (DI Geraldine Steel, #1)
  • Road Closed (DI Geraldine Steel, #2)
  • Death Bed (DI Geraldine Steel, #4)
  • Stop Dead (DI Geraldine Steel, #5)
  • Fatal Act (DI Geraldine Steel, #6)
  • Killer Plan (DI Geraldine Steel, #7)
  • Murder Ring (DI Geraldine Steel, #8)
  • Deadly Alibi (DI Geraldine Steel #9)
  • Class Murder (DI Geraldine Steel, #10)
  • Killer Christmas (A DI Geraldine Steel Thriller)