Start by marking “The Tale of the Dark Crystal” as Want to Read:
The Tale of the Dark Crystal

The Tale of the Dark Crystal

On a faraway planet, Jen, the last of the Gelflings, is given the mission of restoring a missing shard to the great Crystal and preventing the tragedy of a Skeksis triumph when the Three Suns merge.
Published by Holt McDougal (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of the Dark Crystal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of the Dark Crystal

Start your review of The Tale of the Dark Crystal
Misha
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, fantasy, faves
One of my favorite books in 1-st-2nd grade. I have a letter that the illustrator wrote back to me from England. I was a Dark Crystal-obsessed child!
Fayley
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My 10 year old son is an EXTREMELY reluctant reader. This year at school they are required to read independently 30 minutes per day, so I loaned him this little illustrated book that I bought when I was 10 and the movie came out. He LOVED IT, and tells me it is the best book ever. I think that the following appealed to him: fast paced action, 3rd person perspective; the people matter but it didn't dwell overly on their feelings and emotions, fairly clear, simple language, interesting back story, ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The inside front cover and facing page have a map of sorts of The World of the Dark Crystal, although it's impossible to determine the distances between locations.

The artwork is pretty good for a children's book. The story is told in six chapters, although none of the pages are numbered which, in my opinion, they should have been.

This is a hardbound book and is pretty well done as a book for younger readers.
'Cole *Bookwyrm Babe, Voyeur of Covers, Caresser of Spines, Unashamed Smut Slut, the Always Sleepy Wyrm of the Stacks, and Drinker of Tea and Wine*
The Tale of the Dark Crystal is based on The Dark Crystal, a Jim Henson film.

Let me start off by saying that this book was a staple of my childhood. I remember when the film came out and when I got the VHS for one of my single digit birthdays (I think I was 6) and not long after I got the clothbound/hardcover book.

The text is by Donna Bass and the illustrations are by Bruce McNally. For what I consider a book that may or may not have been intended for children, as an adult I still l
Lauren
Feb 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dark Crystal & Jim Henson Fans
I picked this up randomly after noticing it in the children's section of the public library since I enjoyed the film so much as a child. The book definitely took me back to that time. It's divided into chapters, so it's not appropriate for younger children, but those with a bit more of an attention span. Although, it would be fun to just look at the pictures and maybe read a little of the story here and there before or after watching the film with younger children. Both the author and illustrato ...more
I watched the movie just recently (again) and I'm still blown away by how amazing the puppetry and story are. Incredible.

I was given this book by my (older) cousin, who had seen the movie, and I had not, because I was too young, and some of the themes in the movie still creep me out. The illustrations are beautiful, and very much in keeping with Jim Henson's high quality of creations for the young and old.
Joy
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the book version of Jim Hensen's Dark Crystal movie. Most of the plot is the same but a few things have been changed.

The basic plot is that there were three races on the planet but when the crystal cracked, one of the races split into two - creating one good race and one evil race. The time is coming when the crystal can be repaired again and there is only one person who can do it.
Nate
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A children's book of a movie I loved as a child. Plus, the watercolors are gorgeous.
April Helms
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Read this ages ago. Really enjoyed it. Loved the colorful illustrations especially. It follows the plot of the movie well.
Kate
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For those who want to delve more into the Dark Crystal world! And also have a better understanding of the story line because when you're a little kid sometimes trying to understand that the Skeksis and UrRu creature connections is difficult. I enjoyed the illustrations, and how it all brings the story into a more coherent understanding for me as an adult.
Calista
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is quite a long children's book. It also has pictures. It does a great job of telling the whole story. I had a love fear relationship with this movie/book. It scared and disturbed me while I also loved the part with Jen the Gelfling.
laurie
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • The Dark Crystal
  • The Dark Crystal
  • The Sixth Man (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #5)
  • Bridge Burning and Other Hobbies
  • Mr. Tickle
  • The Yoga Kitchen Plan
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • Blaze Wyndham (Wyndham Saga, #1)
  • Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America
  • Sunny, Vol. 3
  • Sunny, Vol. 4
  • Divine Misdemeanors (Merry Gentry, #8)
  • Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1)
  • King and Maxwell (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #6)
  • Dragonfly